HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Did Anyone Hear The Moreau Interview On 1260 Today

Old
02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
OILNATION*

vCash: 500
Moreau GTFO

OILNATION* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Wow that was a horrible interview from thecaptain. Did he just blame his lack of points on the pk prior to the last 3 games on the other guys on the ice who don't have the same offensive mindset as him? Or maybe its just got to the point where everything he says is insulting to me. Whatever the case, please leave this team.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Broilers

It over now

Moreau =Moroon

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Shizuka

It shouldn't come as a surprise at this point. And to say the guy is 'honest' is a bit of a slap in the face of fans too. If he were so honest, and such a 'salt of the earth' type then he would put in the good effort as often as humanly possible, instead of the lousy and indifferent play we've watched for the last couple of seasons. Nevermind that, as ODH pointed out, he threw the young guys last season and the young goalies this season under the bus.

I've said it from the beginning -- at the VERY least, Tambellini needs to get rid of Moreau by this deadline. Souray, Grebeshkov, and whomever else needs / wants to go can be put off until summer if absolutely necessary, but not this guy. I really don't want to see his attitude passed on to the younger kids in the lineup.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I'm beginning to think this interview never happened since no one other than the OP has apparantly herd it.

Doesn't mean Captain Hack isn't an idiot thoguh.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Did he just blame his lack of points on the pk prior to the last 3 games on the other guys on the ice who don't have the same offensive mindset as him?
He said 4 guys. He was referring to the PK as a collective. Said "We."

Listening to the interview, this entire thread seems ridiculously overstated.

I think fans have become bitter and jaded, and since Ethan has been in the hotseat all season (or longer), they'll latch onto anything they can.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Kinda shows the disrespect he has for the paying fans, doesn't it?
Shows disrespect to the team.

Andy Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio18 View Post
Ship hip an his "trainer" brother to Siberia! KHL or bust.
Moreau's brother isn't with the organization anymore.

02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
He said 4 guys. He was referring to the PK as a collective. Said "We."
Yeah i heard that part, but i don't know. When asked why hes been producing more on the pk lately and he answers that hes just "sticking with what works for [him]," that in the past he has always had an impact on the game on the pk, and that he has always been able to put up points shorthanded, doesn't seem like he has changed anything. If fact, it seems like hes pretty sure of his game... so i guess the other guys must have changed something?

whatever. like you said, its possible that we as fans are latching onto anything. I certainly won't deny that.

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Roamin

awesome.
what a good guy.
trying his hardest to get the best return for him to the Oilers.

Grade A Captian. Always looking out for the teams needs.
Wether it be the Fall for Hall, he can make sure to slack and take an offensive penalty here and there when it looks like we got momentum going.
Or when he's going to be traded, wants to make sure the Oilers come out on top.

Even if that top means getting a nice turkey sandwich for him, with the right type of sauce and the freshest lettuce possible!!!

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
DelusionOIL

I was one of those who avidly wanted Moreau as a captain. I feel his career has dramatically deteriorated since his injuries. He has never played the same on the edge game. Its like he is playing cautious now.... scared even.

Either way... I see the error in my ways now about his character as a team captain on the ice. Off the ice, yes he is an incredible captain as far as community support goes. But it also takes on ice leadership to be a captain. Something I sorely beleive Moreau does not have.

If Souray is still around after the deadline. I say make him captain. If not, I vote Gagner, or Hemsky.

DelusionOIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
theoil

Quote:
I think people are looking for scapegoats, and certainly like to make excuses.

I do not feel that this team would be significantly better if a player other than Ethan Moreau was named Captain, nor do I consider him to be a significant contributor to the on ice problems (outside of his crappy play).
Yes, I understand that that is your position. I just strongly disagree with it. IMO people placed in positions of authority have a very strong influence on the morale of those they suppusedly represent. In situations where 'natural leaders' come along who see that somebody who has that position is making all the wrong moves you end up with factions within the group. If the appointed leader is good then the 'natural leader' falls in and supports but this is not what we have been witnessing on this team the last few years is it.

Having watched this movie in the corporate world on several occassions the ending we are witnessing now on the team is of no surprise whatsoever. I predicted that it would end badly when Moreau got the job and I explained why it was not smart to appoint a 4th line plugger as the leader while reshaping the team with young skill. To me things have played out pretty much as predicted with the exception that when they acquired Souray I believe that hastened the demise of this teams cohesiveness.

No, I have no stats to present in defence of this position. Just my observations of human nature at work.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLovejoy View Post
Yeah i heard that part, but i don't know. When asked why hes been producing more on the pk lately and he answers that hes just "sticking with what works for [him]," that in the past he has always had an impact on the game on the pk, and that he has always been able to put up points shorthanded, doesn't seem like he has changed anything. If fact, it seems like hes pretty sure of his game... so i guess the other guys must have changed something?
You're reading into his comments. There's nothing in his statement that says he was still playing the PK with that similar style during the period of suck. Athletes talk all the time about how they "get back to their game" when they come out of a slump.

Gregor asked Ethan Moreau about Ethan Moreau's production, so naturally there is going to be some focus on what he is doing to get those points. After that though, he still included himself (through use of the word "we") with a penalty kill that has looked to be more aggressive in recent games.

Old
02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Yes, I understand that that is your position. I just strongly disagree with it. IMO people placed in positions of authority have a very strong influence on the morale of those they suppusedly represent.
I have to zip out soon, but for now I'll just ask a quick question. What authority does Ethan Moreau have as captain of the team?

Old
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
theoil

Quote:
I have to zip out soon, but for now I'll just ask a quick question. What authority does Ethan Moreau have as captain of the team?
Communications between the team and management for one. He is also, by virtue of his title, a leading voice in the dressing room during game. It formalizes the position of team leader which can either be used to make everybody feel good about being part of the team or to form a clique.

I know from previous discussions on this point (not necessarily with you) that there is a tendency to ignore the psychological impact of the position as well as the intangibles but imo such things are extremely important. Particularly with young guys and particularly with highly competitive situations. And there is no doubt that this cannot be proven by anything but judgement and experience so I have no intention of trying to prove any of this. I have seen it over and over and what I said would happen at the time he was appointed has come to pass. Take it for what it's worth but at some point in time being right should count for more than being able to 'show your work' but being wrong.

Just saying.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawker View Post
For what its worth, i dont think anyone on the team considers him the captain, and by now neither do the fans. Souray is the de facto voice in the room, or atleast i hope to god he is.
souray maybe is the next best leader but he has also come out and given a list of potential team to trade him to. (which means plz trade me) He's not going to be the capt. The oil needs to have a rotation for the C until someone is ready to take it.

dixs35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

When you sign a fat contract like him, you are expected to perform hard every night.

What a disgrace. Honestly, when he goes I hope he doesn't get some sort of sappy 'hero' treatment or farewell. Trade or waive, burn his stall.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Communications between the team and management for one.
So, as the Captain of an NHL hockey team, the players use Moreau as a conduit for communicating with management? Are you referring to coaching? I was always under the impression that management had an open door policy with the players on the team.

A counter example is that the Captain of the team is the only one allowed to talk with officials during the game, or an alternate captain in his place. Yet we see a multitude of examples during the game of players that talk to the officials that receive no repercussions.

Quote:
He is also, by virtue of his title, a leading voice in the dressing room during game.
This is nice. We don't know what he does or does not say during games however.

Quote:
I know from previous discussions on this point (not necessarily with you) that there is a tendency to ignore the psychological impact of the position as well as the intangibles but imo such things are extremely important.
I won't discount that Ethan could be "powertripping." By the same account, I also won't discount that someone else could just as easily "powertrip."

Quote:
I have seen it over and over and what I said would happen at the time he was appointed has come to pass.
One thing I learned is that, often, it seems fans don't seem to want to apply "reality" to sports athletes. Except when it works in their favour.

Quote:
Take it for what it's worth but at some point in time being right should count for more than being able to 'show your work' but being wrong.
At some point in time being right would be important, if you're of the mind that the Oilers woes this season are a result of Ethan Moreau's captaincy. There's a lot of people on this board that predicted ****** seasons because of bad decisions by management and the woeful roster.

If there is powertripping among players, then it's just extra ammo against the coaching staff and management (people with decidedly more quantifiable authority than captain) and the poor decisions that they have made.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
theoil

Quote:
So, as the Captain of an NHL hockey team, the players use Moreau as a conduit for communicating with management? Are you referring to coaching? I was always under the impression that management had an open door policy with the players on the team.

A counter example is that the Captain of the team is the only one allowed to talk with officials during the game, or an alternate captain in his place. Yet we see a multitude of examples during the game of players that talk to the officials that receive no repercussions.

This is nice. We don't know what he does or does not say during games however.

I won't discount that Ethan could be "powertripping." By the same account, I also won't discount that someone else could just as easily "powertrip."

One thing I learned is that, often, it seems fans don't seem to want to apply "reality" to sports athletes. Except when it works in their favour.

At some point in time being right would be important, if you're of the mind that the Oilers woes this season are a result of Ethan Moreau's captaincy. There's a lot of people on this board that predicted ****** seasons because of bad decisions by management and the woeful roster.

If there is powertripping among players, then it's just extra ammo against the coaching staff and management (people with decidedly more quantifiable authority than captain) and the poor decisions that they have made.
As I said I didn't expect to change your mind. Nor will you change mine. I don't think the Oilers are in the position they are in because Ethan is not suited to be captain of this team. I think his being appointed captain has made the situation somewhat worse and that a good captain would make it somewhat better. But since this board is filled with those who think that only the quantifiable justifies opinions I am not surprised to find resistance to this since it is a trait of the ideological to see problems only within the confines of their belief system.

I have no idea why you bring up 'powertripping'. This is not my objection to Moreau as captain at all. Never mentioned it. But since you think that leadership is either (a) of no importance or (b) not in any way related to being appointed to that position by those in authority carry on. Having worked in politics ( a true blood sport) you will have to forgive me if I think your position is fairly naive.

Old
02-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'm beginning to think this interview never happened since no one other than the OP has apparantly herd it.

Doesn't mean Captain Hack isn't an idiot thoguh.
Check post #49, if you haven't done so already

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Silver

Anyone else reminded of that scene from Slapshot where Paul Newman looks up and says, "Scouts?"

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Moreau always had the leadership and heart. It was when he stopped giving a **** is when his captaincy became a problem imho.
Which occurred the instance he was rewarded the 'C' and a hefty raise. I never seen the leadership in Moreau and still don't. I honesty thought Smyth should have gotten the 'C' at the time but we shouldn't play the woulda coulda shoulda game more than I already have in this thread. I just cant wait until Moreau is off the team and the captaincy is given to a more deserved player. I'm not sure at the moment who that might be.

Edit:

What I did see in Moreau was a good quality type third liner that played his role well.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Anyone else reminded of that scene from Slapshot where Paul Newman looks up and says, "Scouts?"
Heh, I combed Youtube for a clip as soon as I heard it and knew a thread would pop up.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

I think fans have become bitter and jaded, and since Ethan has been in the hotseat all season (or longer), they'll latch onto anything they can.
Earlier this year in the middle of the big losing streak. Does he take it on himself, does he do what most captains do and deflect criticism away from his teammates?

No when asked what the problem is he says we have young goalies and have to score 4,5,6 goals a night to hope to win a game. Last year he blamed the young forwards. He made the dumb comments about it did not really matter how they play as the fans will still fill the seats etc... etc... There are loads of examples with this guy and he never seems to want to take responsibility for anything bad out on the ice. As I said IMO he was probably our worst forward in the first 25-30 games and in the middle of that is when he was throwing the blame around. If people are looking for things to latch on to, they will not have to look for long as there is plenty of examples. It certainly started long before this season. In fact I would say the cries about the stuff he was saying was worse last season than this one.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Check post #49, if you haven't done so already
Thanks man.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote