HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2/17/10 Are you watching women's Olympic hockey?

View Poll Results: Are you watching women's Olympic hockey?
Yes 30 37.04%
No 22 27.16%
Only the medal games 15 18.52%
if there is nothing else on 14 17.28%
the wife is making me 0 0%
they're on too early! 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
So now that I have finished my history lesson. I would argue that even though Canada obliterated the competition it was important to keep hockey as an Olympic sport as it gave incentive for other countries to improve the game.

I am sure spectators watching that 33-0 game thought it was lame and questioned why hockey was in the olympics!

Women's hockey deserves the same opportunity.

Old
02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
The 1924 olympics were even lamer!! The scores were 33-0, 22-0, 18-0, 19-2, 11-0 and 22-0!!

So I will ask one more time, should have remained in the olympics while the other countries caught up?

Can you illustrate for anyone how that scale of parity is realistically relevant under todays scope of discussion?

I can't.

Old
02-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Everest

Quote:
So now that I have finished my history lesson. I would argue that even though Canada obliterated the competition it was important to keep hockey as an Olympic sport as it gave incentive for other countries to improve the game.

I am sure spectators watching that 33-0 game thought it was lame and questioned why hockey was in the olympics!

Do you have some quotes from the fans at those games or are we supposed to take your word for it? I take it you were there?

Old
02-17-2010, 06:43 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:

What does 1924 have to do with 2010?

Old
02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Do you have some quotes from the fans at those games or are we supposed to take your word for it? I take it you were there?
So you think 11-0 is lame but would think that a tournament that Canada outscored the competition 126-2 was competitive?

Canada had no competition so by your own admission it was lame!

Old
02-17-2010, 06:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
What does 1924 have to do with 2010?
If you can't see the connection then I can not help you!

Old
02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Dave

no. i might watch the gold medal game, but only if canada is in it, and only if nothing else is on. id mainly be watching it for the atmosphere of the crowd

Old
02-17-2010, 06:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by led zep View Post
no. i might watch the gold medal game, but only if canada is in it, and only if nothing else is on. id mainly be watching it for the atmosphere of the crowd
Did not watch it but I did not watch Canada beat Norway 8-0 either!

I will watch canada play USA.

Old
02-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
If you can't see the connection then I can not help you!
Oh my God lobsided scores?

Face it women's hockey, in the state that it's in, has ZERO business as an Olympic sport.

Old
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Nope. Im telling you the same thing I would have told you during Turin...this is lame, weak and pointless. Its not worthy of being called an Olympic sport & its not going to be any better in Russia because Russians don't give 2 ***** about girls hockey either.

At least keep it off TV for PETE sakes!
Just don't watch it.....

Wow all of this complaining about Women's Hockey, just enjoy the game, if you can't then turn the channel and watch something else. I find it a bit slow and honestly like I said would rather see something like ringette in its place. I will still watch though because it is Canada and I am proud of all of our Athletes.

Old
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Oh my God lobsided scores?

Face it women's hockey, in the state that it's in, has ZERO business as an Olympic sport.
So hockey should not have remained an Olympic sport then?

Hockey should have been removed after the 1924 olympics! O

Old
02-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
Just don't watch it.....

Wow all of this complaining about Women's Hockey, just enjoy the game, if you can't then turn the channel and watch something else. I find it a bit slow and honestly like I said would rather see something like ringette in its place. I will still watch though because it is Canada and I am proud of all of our Athletes.

If nobody watches it...it won't be in the Olympics, MerryJ99. Thats the reality of modern era Oly Games and therefore the fact there is not parity (still) bodes badly for future inclusion.

Old
02-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Women play hockey?

Old
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Women play hockey?
and we can even vote!

Old
02-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
and we can even vote!
That's what they want you to think.

Old
02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
sid49

I hate Womens Hockey and always will. I read an article today which was Recommended to me by one of my friends, who's cousin wrote this which basically breaks down the downfall of this team. i think its worth posting.

http://hockeydoctor.blogspot.com/

Old
02-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
So hockey should not have remained an Olympic sport then?

Hockey should have been removed after the 1924 olympics! O
Considering the number of different countries that medaled since 1924...no. You're always going to have your bottom feeders, but women's hockey is just disgusting. So yes, women's hockey should be removed in the short term.

Old
02-17-2010, 10:56 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Considering the number of different countries that medaled since 1924...no. You're always going to have your bottom feeders, but women's hockey is just disgusting. So yes, women's hockey should be removed in the short term.
Your reasoning is assinine. So it should be removed because you do not like it?? I think cage fighting is barbaric so IMO it shouldn't be classified as a sport, sumo wrestling has got to the stupidest sport in the world. But my opinion does not mean diddly .

But in reality women's hockey is fairly new to the Olympic world just as men's hockey was new in 1920.

Men's hockey would have not grown as quicky without it being in the olympics, so this is why it was imperative for the game to be in the olympics even though canada obliterated the opposition.

There is no difference, women's hockey also must be given the chance to develop. It really does not matter whether you like it or not. That is a pathetic argument.

In historic context the two situations are very similar!

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-17-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Your reasoning is assinine. So it should be removed because you do not like it?? I think cage fighting is barbaric so IMO it shouldn't be classified as a sport, sumo wrestling has got to the stupidest sport in the world. But my opinion does not mean diddly .

But in reality women's hockey is fairly new to the Olympic world just as men's hockey was new in 1920.

Men's hockey would have not grown as quicky without it being in the olympics, so this is why it was imperative for the game to be in the olympics even though canada obliterated the opposition.

There is no difference, women's hockey also must be given the chance to develop. It really does not matter whether you like it or not. That is a pathetic argument.

In historic context the two situations are very similar!

I was referring to the quality of play as 'disgusting'. As is the fact that there's only two teams that have any business being on the ice. THAT'S DISGUSTING. I don't think I ever said I didn't 'like' women's hockey so that wasn't my argument.

Sure it needs time to develop, but it needs to develop AWAY from the Olympics until they've got more than two teams that can compete(realistically) to be the winners.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I was referring to the quality of play as 'disgusting'. As is the fact that there's only two teams that have any business being on the ice. THAT'S DISGUSTING. I don't think I ever said I didn't 'like' women's hockey so that wasn't my argument.

Sure it needs time to develop, but it needs to develop AWAY from the Olympics until they've got more than two teams that can compete(realistically) to be the winners.
As I said it was imperative for men's hockey to continue in the olympics even though the canadians obliterated the oppostion for several Olympic games. It would not have developed as quickly outside of the olympics!

Why should women's hockey not be given the same chance as men's hockey was?

When you stop ignoring that question and answer it I will take your opinion seriously! Canada had no competition in the olympics for many years but obviously it was good for the game to have hockey continue!

The growth of women's hockey also needs the olympics and like men's hockey canada and usa will dominate. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there was nothing wrong with Canada dominating men's hockey for several olympics.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-17-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old
02-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
As I said it was imperative for men's hockey to continue in the olympics even though the canadians obliterated the oppostion for several Olympic games. It would not have developed as quickly outside of the olympics!

Why should women's hockey be given the same chance as men's hockey was?

When you stop ignoring that question and answer it I will take your opinion seriously! Canada had no competition in the olympics for many years but obviously it was good for the game to have hockey continue!

The growth of women's hockey also needs the olympics and like men's hockey canada and usa will dominate. There is nothing wrong with that, just as there was nothing wrong with Canada dominating men's hockey for several olympics.
In men's hockey, there is(and was), Canada, States, Soviets(Along with the nations created post fall of communism), Sweden, Finland etc that were all at least semi-competitive throughout the years in Olympic competition. Did Canada and the Soviets dominate for years? Absolutely. Were there blowouts still? Absolutely. But the overall quality of hockey was there, and I'm just not seeing it in the women's game and I dont see any glimpse of any hope for improvement any time in the near to moderate future.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
In men's hockey, there is(and was), Canada, States, Soviets(Along with the nations created post fall of communism), Sweden, Finland etc that were all at least semi-competitive throughout the years in Olympic competition. Did Canada and the Soviets dominate for years? Absolutely. Were there blowouts still? Absolutely. But the overall quality of hockey was there, and I'm just not seeing it in the women's game and I dont see any glimpse of any hope for improvement any time in the near to moderate future.
Are you missing the point on purpose? Women's hockey is relatively new to the olympics. It took literally decades for anyone to anyone to compete on a level playing field in men's hockey. Those teams you mention above were the same teams Canada was beating 19-2, 33-0 etc when hockey was introduced as a olympic sport.

It was not immediate.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:
Are you missing the point on purpose? Women's hockey is relatively new to the olympics. It took literally decades for anyone to anyone to compete on a level playing field in men's hockey. Those teams you mention above were the same teams Canada was beating 19-2, 33-0 etc when hockey was introduced as a olympic sport.

It was not immediate.
I didn't say it was. Sports have also been taken out of the Olympics for less.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

It was not immediate.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Andy Martin

Quote:

It was not immediate.
Reposting FTL?

Closed Thread