HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/17/10 Are you watching women's Olympic hockey?

View Poll Results: Are you watching women's Olympic hockey?
Yes 30 37.04%
No 22 27.16%
Only the medal games 15 18.52%
if there is nothing else on 14 17.28%
the wife is making me 0 0%
they're on too early! 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
  #76
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
I didn't say it was. Sports have also been taken out of the Olympics for less.
And thank goodness men's hockey didn't get removed even though by your criteria it should have been!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 12:45 AM
  #77
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
And thank goodness men's hockey didn't get removed even though by your criteria it should have been!
Because it's not working/isn't competitive? Do you think every sport should be given decades and decades to try and catch on/get competitive on an Olympic level?

They should keep having the World Championship etc. But I just think it should bow out of the Olympics for a while.

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 12:48 AM
  #78
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
Because it's not working/isn't competitive? Do you think every sport should be given decades and decades to try and catch on/get competitive on an Olympic level?

They should keep having the World Championship etc. But I just think it should bow out of the Olympics for a while.
So why was men's hockey given decades to get better and get competitive?

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 12:53 AM
  #79
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
So why was men's hockey given decades to get better and get competitive?
That's like asking why isn't Women's ski jumping in the Olympics?(Something that is MUCH more competitive than women's hockey) Men and Women's sports DONT get the same shot. THAT'S why it got decades to get better.(I'll give you that much to your argument)

But do you HONESTLY believe that women's hockey will get significantly more competitive over the next two to three Olympics? If no, then why keep it?

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 12:54 AM
  #80
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
Because it's not working/isn't competitive? Do you think every sport should be given decades and decades to try and catch on/get competitive on an Olympic level?

They should keep having the World Championship etc. But I just think it should bow out of the Olympics for a while.
So why was men's hockey given decades to get better?

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 12:57 AM
  #81
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
In fact it wasn't until 1952 that anyone but Canada won a gold medal except for 1936! Women's hockey has two dominate countries.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 12:58 AM
  #82
MerryJ99
Registered User
 
MerryJ99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I originally posted this in the women's tourney thread



Folks seem to have forgotten the history of the mens tourney and what has impacted its competitiveness over the years.


Starting in 1920, Canada won the first 4 gold medals and 6 of the first 7 with Great Britain winning the other. Then in 1956 the Soviets won their first gold. Including their win in 1956 they won 8 of the next 10 (the last as the Unified Team in 1992). The two exceptions being the US winning in Squaw Valley in 1960 and The Miracle on Ice in 1980.

Canada or the Soviets won 14 of the first 17 gold medals. Sound familiar?

In fact if NHLers had always been allowed to participate in the Olympics thus giving Canada their best players. The tourney would for decades have looked a lot like the current womens tourney with two powerhouses dominating it; Canada and the Soviets.

Lets also remember that the mens tourney has for years been a bit of a joke in terms of its competitive nature. You had some countries with their best, some having a few of their best and others not having any of their top players available.

Even having mens hockey in the Olympics since 1920. The monopoly of gold medals first by Canada then by the Soviets wasn't broken until Sweden won in 1994 and then the Czechs in 1998. Marking the first time neither Canada nor the Soviets won the gold in two consecutive Olympics. Ironically enough Canada and the Russians are the current favorites yet again.


This is only the 4th womens tourney in the Olympics. So lets give it some time shall we
I thought this was fitting and is relevant to what HA101 is trying to say.

MerryJ99 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:01 AM
  #83
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
In fact it wasn't until 1952 that anyone but Canada won a gold medal except for 1936! Women's hockey has two dominate countries.
True. But in that time, seven different countries won medals and four countries other than Canada were in the final. The States and Canada had the most appearances over that time period but other countries were in there as well.

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:02 AM
  #84
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
In fact it wasn't until 1952 that anyone but Canada won a gold medal except for 1936! Women's hockey has two dominate countries.
Somehow I just got a chubby.

I think now I might watch after all.

As long as Canada is the Dominatrix..and the Yanks get whipped and spanked.

Replacement is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:09 AM
  #85
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
In fact it wasn't until 1952 that anyone but Canada won a gold medal except for 1936! Women's hockey has two dominate countries.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:14 AM
  #86
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
I thought this was fitting and is relevant to what HA101 is trying to say.
thank you for that! Exactly!!

Canada and then the soviet union had virtually no competition.

Eerily similar. To not recognize the similarities is to basically stick your head in the sand.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:15 AM
  #87
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
thank you for that! Exactly!!

Canada and then the soviet union had virtually no competition.

Eerily similar. To not recognize the similarities is to basically stick your head in the sand.
I recognize the similarities. I just disagree with your opinion.

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:18 AM
  #88
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
True. But in that time, seven different countries won medals and four countries other than Canada were in the final. The States and Canada had the most appearances over that time period but other countries were in there as well.
I think you need to go and look at the scores! I gave you a small glimpse already. The scores were actually worse in differential than in women's hockey!

And secondly Canada won gold every year until 1952 and silver in 1936, therefore Canada was in every final game!!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:18 AM
  #89
MerryJ99
Registered User
 
MerryJ99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
thank you for that! Exactly!!

Canada and then the soviet union had virtually no competition.

Eerily similar. To not recognize the similarities is to basically stick your head in the sand.
No Problem, I totally get what you are saying. I have two daughters that love to watch the women's hockey, it doesn't bother them one bit that Canada is winning, they get so excited when Canada scores. I still think that if people don't like it then don't watch, then there is nothing to ***** about. There are lots of people whom I would imagine that like watching, and I would bet that a lot of young girls really enjoy watching. Men are not the only people that watch the Olympics.

MerryJ99 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:22 AM
  #90
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
No Problem, I totally get what you are saying. I have two daughters that love to watch the women's hockey, it doesn't bother them one bit that Canada is winning, they get so excited when Canada scores. I still think that if people don't like it then don't watch, then there is nothing to ***** about. There are lots of people whom I would imagine that like watching, and I would bet that a lot of young girls really enjoy watching. Men are not the only people that watch the Olympics.
Who said they were?

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:24 AM
  #91
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
thank you for that! Exactly!!

Canada and then the soviet union had virtually no competition.

Eerily similar. To not recognize the similarities is to basically stick your head in the sand.
A better question is why there are men's competitions and women's competitions. I would think that in these enlightened days of gender equality there would one competition for all with no distinction based upon such antiquated notions.

Or does that take the idea of gender equality to its natural conclusion just a little bit too abrubtly?

theoil is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:24 AM
  #92
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
I recognize the similarities. I just disagree with your opinion.
You disagree because you don't like women's hockey and still are trying to convince me that there were not similar situations until you saw that blog.

I do not like a lot of things but I am smart enough to recognize how important historically having men's hockey was to hockey as a sport!

Hockey is Canadian, and women's hockey has the right to develop as well. It will be a slow and arduous process as it was in men's hockey but that does not mean the journey is any less important!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:25 AM
  #93
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
A better question is why there are men's competitions and women's competitions. I would think that in these days of gender equality there would one competition for all with no distinction based upon such antiquated notions.

Or does that take the idea of gender equality to its natural conclusion just a little bit too abrubtly?
I am not arguing gender equality! So you have missed the point completely!

I am arguing that women's hockey deserves the same chance as men's hockey was given!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:26 AM
  #94
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I think you need to go and look at the scores! I gave you a small glimpse already. The scores were actually worse in differential than in women's hockey!

And secondly Canada won gold every year until 1952 and silver in 1936, therefore Canada was in every final game!!
1.I'm aware of what the scores were.
2. I didn't say Canada WASN'T in every final in that time period. But they also featured the United States, Sweden, Great Britain, and Czechoslovakia over that time period.

Had I been around during that time period, I probably would have called for Men's hockey to be axed as well. I'd rather see something with some competition be involved in the Olympics than a 13-0 blow out any day

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:27 AM
  #95
Andy Martin
Registered User
 
Andy Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort McMurray, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
You disagree because you don't like women's hockey and still are trying to convince me that there were not similar situations until you saw that blog.

I do not like a lot of things but I am smart enough to recognize how important historically having men's hockey was to hockey as a sport!

Hockey is Canadian, and women's hockey has the right to develop as well. It will be a slow and arduous process as it was in men's hockey but that does not mean the journey is any less important!
When did I say I don't like women's hockey? I honestly TRY to watch it, but I can only stand so much when it's THAT uncompetitive.

Andy Martin is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
  #96
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I am not arguing gender equality? So you have missed the point completely!
Well actually you were. You argued that the women's team should be allowed to become competitive because the men's team were. Therefore the precedent was set and women should benefit from that precedent.

But my question stands even if I have tweaked the argument somewhat. Is it not time to do away with sports divided along gender lines? It is the case in pretty much every other facet of modern society. Why should sport be allowed to live in the past?

theoil is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:30 AM
  #97
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
A better question is why there are men's competitions and women's competitions. I would think that in these days of gender equality there would one competition for all with no distinction based upon such antiquated notions.

Or does that take the idea of gender equality to its natural conclusion just a little bit too abrubtly?
I am not arguing gender equality? So you have missed the point completely!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:34 AM
  #98
MerryJ99
Registered User
 
MerryJ99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Martin View Post
Who said they were?
I apologize, I should really change that, it sounds bad. Sorry.

MerryJ99 is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:37 AM
  #99
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I am not arguing gender equality? So you have missed the point completely!
How could I miss the point with you HA101 when you are as predictable as the time the sun will rise whenever anybody dares to question the role of women in society, sports or anything else for that matter.

Just thought I would give you a little challenge since you were wiping the floor with the othre poster who seemed unable to make the leap.

But my question is still a legitimate question and the fact that you refuse to answer it doesn't really surprise me. Is it really so hard for you to admit why this isn't and can't be the case?

theoil is offline  
Old
02-18-2010, 01:39 AM
  #100
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Well actually you were. You argued that the women's team should be allowed to become competitive because the men's team were. Therefore the precedent was set and women should benefit from that precedent.

But my question stands even if I have tweaked the argument somewhat. Is it not time to do away with sports divided along gender lines? It is the case in pretty much every other facet of modern society. Why should sport be allowed to live in the past?
Your "tweek" and I use that word mildly because your tweek is not even close to my argument and in fact is a ridiculous twist.

The argument was that women's hockey should be removed because it is dominated by two countries.

Men's hockey was dominated by two countries for 50 years!

It is hypocritical (and it doesn't matter what sex you are) to Not note the similarity.

The situations are exactly the same but history has shown the benefit to the game of hockey itself!! As a hockey fan I want women's hockey to improve and the Olympic forum has already shown historically to be th best forum!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.