HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bulin DUI

Old
02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
Yes and ive been arrested and charged with DUI's a few times but never took the breathalyzer or Feild test. Did the blood test got charges dropped when results came back

They didnt say what his BAL was just that he was charged for over 0.08
How can they assume it's over .08? You need to test, I have never seen anything that would suggest that cops are assuming someone is over because they look drunk.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
For those of us in Edmonton in the 80's and early 90's--for those of us who worked in bars--it was well known that oilers were given verble warnings do to their driving habits by the Edmonton Police(it was always reported to the oilers--all verbal warnings were tracked). I know two oilers who were regulars at rock city left the place three sheets to the wind every night and where stopped several times by the police--but they were never charged and in a couple of cases someone ended up driving the player home. it is not just edmonton that this happened in, the Vancouver police were known to help a few canucks who lived in West Vancouver to get home in one piece on several occasions

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
NotBad*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How can they assume it's over .08? You need to test, I have never seen anything that would suggest that cops are assuming someone is over because they look drunk.
*SIGH* its the charge. just like someone gets cited for drunk and disorderly.

He was cited/charge with having a BAL 0.08

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:20 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
For those of us in Edmonton in the 80's and early 90's--for those of us who worked in bars--it was well known that oilers were given verble warnings do to their driving habits by the Edmonton Police(it was always reported to the oilers--all verbal warnings were tracked). I know two oilers who were regulars at rock city left the place three sheets to the wind every night and where stopped several times by the police--but they were never charged and in a couple of cases someone ended up driving the player home. it is not just edmonton that this happened in, the Vancouver police were known to help a few canucks who lived in West Vancouver to get home in one piece on several occasions
You mean until the Late 90 when people took Drunk Driving Seriously... No Way!!!!

Old
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
This happens in Edmonton and not Arizona and there is a chance Bulin gets a warning.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
*SIGH* its the charge. just like someone gets cited for drunk and disorderly.

He was cited/charge with having a BAL 0.08
Those are two totally different charges are they not? Drunk and disordely is a very vague charge, where as BAL over 0.08 has numerical stats attatched to it.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:28 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Those are two totally different charges are they not? Drunk and disordely is a very vague charge, where as BAL over 0.08 has numerical stats attatched to it.
I dont really think you understand what your typing.

He was Charged with having a BAL of 0.08.
He was NOT FOUND GUILTY of having a BAL 0.08

The cop coulda written it out as Charged with DUI (but of course that charge doesnt exist)

Old
02-17-2010, 04:29 PM
joestevens29

I guess the main question is what was the Field Sobriety test? I was under the impression that because the old ******** of walking a straight line and other crap isn't accurate that it was common practice to use the breathalyzer.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:30 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
I guess the main question is what was the Field Sobriety test? I was under the impression that because the old ******** of walking a straight line and other crap isn't accurate that it was common practice to use the breathalyzer.
It still is. Walk the line bend over and take it for what its worth.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I dont really think you understand what your typing.

He was Charged with having a BAL of 0.08.
He was NOT FOUND GUILTY of having a BAL 0.08

The cop coulda written it out as Charged with DUI (but of course that charge doesnt exist)
I understand that, but to be charged you generally need some sufficent evidence otherwise you are going to end up with a defamation suit. That is why my post before this states I think he took the breathalyzer because he did take a field sobriety test.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
I understand that, but to be charged you generally need some sufficent evidence otherwise you are going to end up with a defamation suit. That is why my post before this states I think he took the breathalyzer because he did take a field sobriety test.
What are you talking about. To be charged is one thing. To be FOUND GUILTY IN A COURT of law is another.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
It still is. Walk the line bend over and take it for what its worth.
I really can't believe they use it. What do they do for people that walk with a limp? It seems very vague compared to using a breathalyzer. Although right now we really have no evidence one way or the other.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM
doormat247

I've heard the stories of old Oilers getting pulled over hammered out of their tree only to get driven home by the officer and told to sleep it off.

That was a long time ago though and DUI is thought of differently now.

Until he's convicted of any crime though, I'll reserve judgement except to be concerned that he put himself into a situation where he could get into trouble. A heads up to the organization would have been a good idea so they weren't caught off guard by a media story about it too.

My two cents...who knows if a small amount of alcohol combined with the pain meds from his surgery had an effect on him?

doormat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OilDrop37

Quote:
I know this one!

You have to count backwards from like 325 or something like that.
You have to recite the alphabet without singing it.(harder than you think..elemenop)
touch your nose, starting with your arms in an outstretched position

the rest is a little fuzzy

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NotBad*

Quote:
I really can't believe they use it. What do they do for people that walk with a limp? It seems very vague compared to using a breathalyzer. Although right now we really have no evidence one way or the other.
Um you realize the cop could care less how you walk? They are looking for other aspects of your motor skills, They are constantly talking to you through the whole thing because if you are drunk your going to slip up

Old
02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
TigerWoo

Yeah walking is only one thing they do, but they might not even use it sometimes. If they believe you are drunk, they ask you to take the breathalyzer. It doesn't look good in court if you don't.

You then are charged and have to go to the police station and they take another 2 samples from their machine they have there.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat247 View Post
I've heard the stories of old Oilers getting pulled over hammered out of their tree only to get driven home by the officer and told to sleep it off.

That was a long time ago though and DUI is thought of differently now.

Until he's convicted of any crime though, I'll reserve judgement except to be concerned that he put himself into a situation where he could get into trouble. A heads up to the organization would have been a good idea so they weren't caught off guard by a media story about it too.

My two cents...who knows if a small amount of alcohol combined with the pain meds from his surgery had an effect on him?
I'm not sure what your age is but I've heard many stories from my dad and his friends about how they use to drink and drive all the time and get caught back in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then all you got was an IP Illegal Possesion. It seemed pretty harmless back then and wasn't taken seriously back then.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
Yeah walking is only one thing they do, but they might not even use it sometimes. If they believe you are drunk, they ask you to take the breathalyzer. It doesn't look good in court if you don't.

You then are charged and have to go to the police station and they take another 2 samples from their machine they have there.
Doesnt matter about optics. You do not have to reblow at the station if you have already blown. You can request a blood sample at the station.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
TigerWoo

I know people who in the '90s got drunk and pulled over a lot (which was idiotic). Many times. Always just had their car impounded or cried their way out of it. Wasn't even that harsh then.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
TigerWoo

Quote:
Doesnt matter about optics. You do not have to reblow at the station if you have already blown. You can request a blood sample at the station.
Nope. They can get you to blow at the station into their machine too. I'm 100% sure.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post

That must be the loophole then? But I really don't know of anyone that has been asked to walk the line or whatever over the breathalyzer.

I mean lets say a cop doesn't use the breathalyzer and has thought many times in the past that someone was drunk, but it turns out they never were. How does that look when someone actually fights their impaired? Seems to me that would be the loophole that lawyers would use.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Either way you are re-tested at the station.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:44 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
I'm not sure what your age is but I've heard many stories from my dad and his friends about how they use to drink and drive all the time and get caught back in the late 70's and early 80's. Back then all you got was an IP Illegal Possesion. It seemed pretty harmless back then and wasn't taken seriously back then.

IP's and DUI's are completely different. Back in the day, you had to go to court for the IP's . Usually a $50 fine. It's just open liquor in a vehicle.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 04:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
IP's and DUI's are completely different. Back in the day, you had to go to court for the IP's . Usually a $50 fine. It's just open liquor in a vehicle.
I really don't know if my dad every had to go to court for that and they use to get thrown in the drunk tank at least once a month.

Old
02-17-2010, 04:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

There is never any excuse for drinking and driving but it is not going to be enough to void the contract.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote