HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question on Defensemen blocking.

Old
02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Is that because they have the responsibility of defending the forwards who have more offensive skill?
It depends on where you are playing defense. Responsibilities change depending on the type of defense and where you are on the ice. What situation are you thinking about? Defensive zone only?

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Blocking a shot is never a bad thing. What if one of their players is screening? What if the puck gets deflected before it reaches the net? What if the rebound hops right onto the opposing player? What if the goalie simply has a brain fart? Blocking a shot very rarely does more more harm than good.
Blocking a shot is a bad thing when you miss and you screen your goalie and the puck goes in the back of the net which happened more than enough times with Zanon.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Well put Steelhead. Nice name for a dman
If that were only true. Scars, broken noses, missing teeth, and a list of concussions say otherwise. Maybe in my next life!!!

Old
02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Why is it that most of the Norris trophy winners over the last bunch of years don't have a ton of blocked shots on their resume? They are usually in the right position making the right play. As Steelhead said, forwards blocking good, defensemen blocking bad.

Old
02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
If that were only true. Scars, broken noses, missing teeth, and a list of concussions say otherwise. Maybe in my next life!!!
Someday we'll have to count and compare stitches

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Wingers blocking shots from the point.....good thing.
Defenseman blocking shots in front of the net.....bad thing.

A players job on defense is to keep people from shooting. Sometimes it's necessary in a scramble to block a shot but no coach anywhere wants his defenseman trying to block shots as a way of playing defense. I've played for dozens of coaches and in front of dozens and dozens of goalies and not once did I ever have one tell me to block shots. Goalies want to see the puck and not play deflections. Let the goalie make the save and tie up your man so the goalie can freeze a rebound if there is one. If a shot hits a defenseman it was either a bad shot or he is in the way.
If a defenseman does his job properly then there is nobody tipping in shots or getting rebounds.
There is probably an exception a bit to this in adult no check leagues because you can't push people out of the way in front of the net like you want to. But there are ways to body people out of the way without getting a penalty.
But this is not realistic and not what actually happens in the real world. Yes, in a perfect world you are going to want to intercept every pass, be in perfect position, and win every battle. But in the real world, you are going to lose those little battles. I have never advocated blocking shots as your main defensive strategy. It is a back up plan, for when you can't make the right 1st or 2nd play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Why is it that most of the Norris trophy winners over the last bunch of years don't have a ton of blocked shots on their resume? They are usually in the right position making the right play. As Steelhead said, forwards blocking good, defensemen blocking bad.
Not everyone has the skill set to be a Norris caliber defenseman. If Zanon tried to play more like Lidstrom, he would fail miserably.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
But this is not realistic and not what actually happens in the real world. Yes, in a perfect world you are going to want to intercept every pass, be in perfect position, and win every battle. But in the real world, you are going to lose those little battles. I have never advocated blocking shots as your main defensive strategy. It is a back up plan, for when you can't make the right 1st or 2nd play.

Not everyone has the skill set to be a Norris caliber defenseman. If Zanon tried to play more like Lidstrom, he would fail miserably.
That's the problem right there. If you can't make the right play the first or second time you've got serious problems as a defenseman.

Old
02-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
That's the problem right there. If you can't make the right play the first or second time you've got serious problems as a defenseman.
Again, not being realistic. You can't have a team full of Norris winners.

Old
02-19-2010, 06:05 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Again, not being realistic. You can't have a team full of Norris winners.
But having guys dropping down as their first instinct isn't realistic either. I understand guys get caught, even saw Weber drop last night and you rarely see him do that.

I have no issue with a guy dropping down to block a shot or get in the way. I have an issue with a guy dropping down way too much and screening his goalie. Blocking that many shots is either a very good or very bad thing. I think there is a balance in blocking shots and the good ones know a way to do it so they're not in bad position or hanging their goalie out to dry. Would you rather have a guy like Suter with 80 something blocks or Zanon with his 135 blocks? They are different style players but I'll take the guys who play positionally sound any day of the week versus the guys that have to dive down to block shots.

Old
02-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
But having guys dropping down as their first instinct isn't realistic either. I understand guys get caught, even saw Weber drop last night and you rarely see him do that.

I have no issue with a guy dropping down to block a shot or get in the way. I have an issue with a guy dropping down way too much and screening his goalie. Blocking that many shots is either a very good or very bad thing. I think there is a balance in blocking shots and the good ones know a way to do it so they're not in bad position or hanging their goalie out to dry. Would you rather have a guy like Suter with 80 something blocks or Zanon with his 135 blocks? They are different style players but I'll take the guys who play positionally sound any day of the week versus the guys that have to dive down to block shots.
Not sure why we are discussing this then because I agree with everything you said. I never claimed the defenseman's first instinct should be to flop on the ice. I must not be good at explaining myself.

Old
02-19-2010, 06:22 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not sure why we are discussing this then because I agree with everything you said. I never claimed the defenseman's first instinct should be to flop on the ice. I must not be good at explaining myself.
Lol. Me either. Guess we're done here. On to the next topic.

Old
02-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Steelhead16

[QUOTE=Predanerd;24004812]But this is not realistic and not what actually happens in the real world. Yes, in a perfect world you are going to want to intercept every pass, be in perfect position, and win every battle. But in the real world, you are going to lose those little battles. I have never advocated blocking shots as your main defensive strategy. It is a back up plan, for when you can't make the right 1st or 2nd play. "

Are we talking beer league or professional? You said yourself it's a back up plan. If you have to go to your back up plan too often then it becomes your main plan and then you go find a real job. Defenseman still lead the NHL in blocked shots just by where they play and how much ice time they log. Dennis Seidenberg leads the league in blocked shots and Scott Niedermayer is 120th and Nick Lidstrom is 125th. Niedermayer is 5th in TOI/G and Lidstrom is 7th. Seidenberg is 44th. Obviously the team you are on has a lot to do with it but I think we agree that we don't want a guy on our team going out trying to block shots first.

Old
02-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

[QUOTE=Steelhead16;24005260]
Quote:
But this is not realistic and not what actually happens in the real world. Yes, in a perfect world you are going to want to intercept every pass, be in perfect position, and win every battle. But in the real world, you are going to lose those little battles. I have never advocated blocking shots as your main defensive strategy. It is a back up plan, for when you can't make the right 1st or 2nd play. "

Are we talking beer league or professional? You said yourself it's a back up plan. If you have to go to your back up plan too often then it becomes your main plan and then you go find a real job. Defenseman still lead the NHL in blocked shots just by where they play and how much ice time they log. Dennis Seidenberg leads the league in blocked shots and Scott Niedermayer is 120th and Nick Lidstrom is 125th. Niedermayer is 5th in TOI/G and Lidstrom is 7th. Seidenberg is 44th. Obviously the team you are on has a lot to do with it but I think we agree that we don't want a guy on our team going out trying to block shots first.
I agree. You don't want a dman to block the shot on first instinct. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And in those situations, blocking the shot is good.