HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

sore feet skating outdoors

Old
02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
JNOS

vCash: 500
sore feet skating outdoors

i can skate and play hockey all day if on indoor ice, but when playing/skating outside, after about 15-20 mins, my feet hurt to the point where i almost need to stop, any suggestions?

JNOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Badger36

Dont skate outside.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Dont skate outside.
+1

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
seventieslord

I'd love to see an actual answer to this question.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 12:17 AM
blueberrydanish

Pretty basic guess....its alot colder outside? As I said...pretty basic guess not meant to be sarcastic or anything.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 01:14 AM
noobman

My guess is that the poor ice condition takes its toll on your feet. It's like the difference between roller blading on old asphalt versus a freshly paved road... there are less bumps and thus less shock absorption required from your feet.

The last time I played on outdoor ice it was +4C so the ice was rough and chippy. It was an artificial pad, so it was still useable.

I was out there for 2 and a half hours, which usually isn't a problem when I'm just clowning around. When I got off the ice and took my boot off I could barely walk! I was limping around d/t Toronto at 1am with skates, gloves, and a stick.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 02:21 AM
Hockeyfan68

I play a lot of outdoor hockey and there isn't a difference. The only time the feet hurt are when they thaw out in your regular shoes after playing.

That is my answer ..... why yours hurt outdoors and not indoors I have no idea.

I would also recommend not tightening your laces as tightly as you do indoors because with the cold weather the circulation cut off can cause frostbite problems.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Renneys Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
My guess is that the poor ice condition takes its toll on your feet. It's like the difference between roller blading on old asphalt versus a freshly paved road... there are less bumps and thus less shock absorption required from your feet.
based on the information you have provided therein lies your problem. i have skated on ponds and outdoor rinks (no ice maintenance) and when you are skating on choppy/uneven ice it takes much more of a toll on your feer than nicely primed ice. my suggestion for you would be to just go in expecting the quality to not be at the same level and skate accordingly, or like a previous poster suggested "dont skate outside"!
also make sure to check your blades after you skate outdoors as you may need to get them sharpened sooner than you think. not only does the uneven ice take a toll on your feet but your skates as well.

Renneys Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 10:12 AM
blueberrydanish

Well hell the icerink I play at down in the south his CHIPPY AS HELL! I cant say I really had noticed anything from it. Not over exaggerating at all either, the puck will be floatin along then hit a lil divot/crack and completely go the other way on many occasions, makes for some commical stuff at times atleast.

Old
02-18-2010, 02:03 PM
RinkRat6671

Indoor ice is smoother and tends to be easier on your feet. Outdoor ice is generally rougher and harder on your feet. You don't even have to notice that the ice is bumpy or chipped for your body to feel it.

RinkRat6671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 02:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Well hell the icerink I play at down in the south his CHIPPY AS HELL! I cant say I really had noticed anything from it. Not over exaggerating at all either, the puck will be floatin along then hit a lil divot/crack and completely go the other way on many occasions, makes for some commical stuff at times atleast.
Southern rinks can be incredibly bad sometimes. There is a mall rink in Charlotte where some architectural genius put a skylight directly above the ice surface. It's not unusual to actually feel the ridges of the pipes under the surface as the ice melts down to the very bottom. More frequently, you simply end up skating through pools of water. Hockey on that rink is laughably bad.

Incredibly, I managed to learn to skate on that rink as a child. No wonder I skate like crap...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 02:46 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Southern rinks can be incredibly bad sometimes. There is a mall rink in Charlotte where some architectural genius put a skylight directly above the ice surface. It's not unusual to actually feel the ridges of the pipes under the surface as the ice melts down to the very bottom. More frequently, you simply end up skating through pools of water. Hockey on that rink is laughably bad.

Incredibly, I managed to learn to skate on that rink as a child. No wonder I skate like crap...

I would pay to see a picture of that!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

I would pay to see a picture of that!
This is the best I could find:

http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/...nd-mall-07.jpg

The picture was taken with the sun at an angle, as you can see from the shadows. You can imagine the sunlight pouring down when it's coming from the 12 o'clock position.

Sadly, it was just announced that the mall will close next month. I think the rink was the first public ice surface in Charlotte, though not the oldest hockey rink.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Ya the rink here sounds pretty much like that or worse. After the zam if off theres puddles all over the ice for about 15 minutes or more. Certain spots you actually feel like you are skating on waves and its the boards underneath the ice(looks like old basketball court) chips all over...list goes on. Sucks its only rink in town, handful of people seem to get hurt on it by catching bad spots.