HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How good are Olympic women?

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2010, 11:51 PM
jsykes

vCash: 500
How good are Olympic women?

Just curious if anyone has played with women if this caliber before. Watching in tv it's noticeably slower than the mens game and even looks much slower than some if the junior hockey I've seen. How do these girls rank? Mid level college? High level beer league? Just curious.

Old
02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

probably like mid level prep school teams

Old
02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
eberleclone

Well they beat our local Midget AA team (in Hinton, AB) 14-2. It didnt really even look like they were trying all that hard.

Old
02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethefate View Post
Well they beat our local Midget AA team (in Hinton, AB) 14-2. It didnt really even look like they were trying all that hard.
not really impressed, no offense

Old
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Brodie
voted best

They'd probably lose to a good high school team.

Old
02-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

and are we talking full contact, the way the sport is meant to be played?

Old
02-18-2010, 12:22 AM
BadHammy*

If you exclude goaltending, they're about as good as an average B league team where I play. Their lack of size is such a big obstacle to overcome. They don't shoot very hard and they don't cover much ice even though some are pretty fast. However, some of their netminders are quite good.

Old
02-18-2010, 02:23 AM
noobman

There's a discussion about this in another thread from the Olympic Hockey subforum. According to the discussion there, a boys AAA hockey team (16-18) or a good high school hockey team could put up a fair fight against the Canadian or even US olympic hockey teams.

A few years back, I played summer hockey with two girls who played girls AAA hockey. One was about as good as your average boys single A hockey player, and the other was an immaculate skater with minimal skill.

Old
02-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Heat McManus

I skate with one of the women who won gold with the 98 team.

last year we were skating around after the Avalanche were in town. A bunch of them stopped by the boards and asked me through the glass who she was. the general consensus was, "DAMN! She can skate!"

Women on the US and Canadian team have insane skills. Size will always be a factor though when comparing them to men's teams, but skill-wise they're incredible.

Old
02-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Renneys Revenge

i can't really speak for olympic women but when i did an evaluation skate for my beer league there was one girl who had played college hockey and absolutely lit it up skill wise. she was all over the ice not just scoring but setting up beautiful goals. i was really impressed not just with her skating but her hockey sense. of course like a previous poster said when it comes to size or contact it's really a whole other discussion, but in a non contact league she was nothing to sneeze at. btw these were mostly B-D level skaters of course it's beer league but she was definitely top 5.

Old
02-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Hockeyfan68

These women are better than you guys give them credit for and your discrimination against women is showing a little too strongly. I seriously believe they are better than most of you give credit for.

Angela Ruggiero for team USA played PRO MEN'S hockey and was the first non goaltender female to do so. She played for the Tulsa Oilers with her brother.

Most of the women's teams are weak but not Canada's or USA'a teams. They have strength and conditioning and regular weightlifting programs like pro teams have.

I am actually very surprised that you guys just automatically think they suck because they are women, I thought you were knowledgable hockey fanatics and knew better.

Shame on you.

Old
02-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Heat McManus

I'm also pretty sure Hayley Wickenheiser (and a bunch of the other women) would absolutely demolish many, many guys playing.

Most of them grew up playing against boys until they were 16-17 years old sometimes. They're not shrinking violets.

Old
02-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Gino 14

I play with a group that routinely scrimmages local high school teams to give them a different perspective on the game. I know that the same group would be hard pressed to beat the local women's college hockey team. The US women that I've watched are far superior to our women's team. Wait till after they've played a game where the other team actually challenges them and then evaluate their skills.

Old
02-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Canadiens1958

The Girls Can Play........

The girls can play. Size and stamina may preclude Major junior but they are very skilled and have the necessary toughness.

Few examples - a young "Hockey Mom" in one of the regions around Montreal helps coach intro level and is a better skater with a better shot(inc a slapper) than a number of the male coaches who played double letter hockey.

A few years ago during a mixed adult tournament one of the mini goons tried doing his team and had his nose busted open by a girl playing for the other team - granted the girl had played collegiate hockey and is a law enforcement officer today ( not when this happened).

Similarly another girl retaliated for being slashed with a clean body check that broke the guys collar bone.

Simply the girls can play. Appreciate what they can do and not what their size precludes them from doing.

Old
02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Sampe

19-year-old Michelle Karvinen is currently playing in the second best men's league in Denmark. She's been scoring at a point/game pace there. But I have no idea how good or bad that league actually is.

Old
02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
nystromshairstylist
Born Free playing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
These women are better than you guys give them credit for and your discrimination against women is showing a little too strongly. I seriously believe they are better than most of you give credit for.

Angela Ruggiero for team USA played PRO MEN'S hockey and was the first non goaltender female to do so. She played for the Tulsa Oilers with her brother.

Most of the women's teams are weak but not Canada's or USA'a teams. They have strength and conditioning and regular weightlifting programs like pro teams have.

I am actually very surprised that you guys just automatically think they suck because they are women, I thought you were knowledgable hockey fanatics and knew better.

Shame on you.
H68, I had to laugh when you wrote this, as I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

I have to think that like me, alot of us are watching the olympic hockey games back to back, women's right after/before watching the men's, and the size and speed differential is what pops off the screen most noticeably.

I don't think people can fairly question that many of the top women have excellent skating skills, hockey "sense" or awareness, and fine hockey skills, the problem for the women is that they move in general so much more slowly and deliberately than men do.

Now this might be due to their lighter frame having to carry the added weight of the hockey equipment, as I am not certain if the major manufacturers build "women's" shoulder pads, sticks, etc., that are lighter. For instance, in the other thread I see some of the beer league men's players complaining about the weight of shoulder pads being an uncomfortable burden, imagine what it must be for a woman who weighs 50 lbs less.

That all being said, in all of the beer league games/open hockey games I've watched, the women playing were VERY slow, almost in slow motion, compared to the guys playing, so I think it's more a speed issue than a talent one.

Old
02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
I skate with one of the women who won gold with the 98 team.

last year we were skating around after the Avalanche were in town. A bunch of them stopped by the boards and asked me through the glass who she was. the general consensus was, "DAMN! She can skate!"

Women on the US and Canadian team have insane skills. Size will always be a factor though when comparing them to men's teams, but skill-wise they're incredible.
This. I play in a pick up league with 4 teams, I'd say a B level league. There's one girl in the entire league and she played throughout college. I was told she was invited to the olympic team but looking her up online and I can't find any results so who knows if it's true. She's probably 30-35 now because searching her name brings me up to her college's little Hall of Fame and it looks like she stopped playing in 95. She is easily the best player on her team. She may be small and a little slow but she can puck handle through the whole team and make a beautiful play for a goal. Now she didn't even make the olympic team, I really doubt a good high school team could beat the olympic team.

Old
02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I played shinny with Jenny Potter a couple months back (back to back hat tricks so far in the tourney)...she was a really good stickhandler and passer, puck never left her stick. Probably wasn't even going half speed. Her husband was a former D1 player and coaches high school hockey and was definitely faster and more intense, but again, it's shinny so it's not exactly a showcase.

I do know the US women's Olympic team played a couple high school boys teams and narrowly beat both of them. The Canadian Olympic team went up against midget AAA teams for practice, so they're probably on the level of maybe a top notch high school team?

Women just aren't built the same as men so the games aren't going to be the same.

Old
02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
rinkrat22

[QUOTE=Jarick;23975423]I played shinny with Jenny Potter a couple months back (back to back hat tricks so far in the tourney)...she was a really good stickhandler and passer, puck never left her stick. Probably wasn't even going half speed. Her husband was a former D1 player and coaches high school hockey and was definitely faster and more intense, but again, it's shinny so it's not exactly a showcase.

I do know the US women's Olympic team played a couple high school boys teams and narrowly beat both of them. The Canadian Olympic team went up against midget AAA teams for practice, so they're probably on the level of maybe a top notch high school team?

Women just aren't built the same as men so the games aren't going to be the same.[/QUOTE]

And this is really the bottom line. women (most anyways) just aren't as strong as men. You just have to admire the game for what it is, these are the best female players in the world. Its not often that North Americans can say that we totally dominate a game on the world stage. Is it slower? yes. But its still good hockey. these women have worked just as hard as any man to get here. when you watch them play live its still a pretty exciting game. I have seen a few Us - Canada Games over the years in person, they can play. of course I am biased because I have a daughter that plays.

Old
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wonder if a smaller or larger rink would benefit the womens game? I certainly know hitting would.

Old
02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
It sounds like the "gap" has mostly to do with muscle structure -- women are naturally going to be a bit slower, have less oomph in their bodychecks, etc due to smaller thigh and glut muscles (compared to a man who is actively training).

That should be taken into account when comparing them to men's high school and junior teams. If they beat a bunch of 18-year-old guys, they are doing it in spite of a significant physical disadvantage.

Old
02-18-2010, 01:08 PM
timbitca

The Canadian team was in town last year and played against the local Midget AAA team (best in the province by far and easily beat them on both nightsan including the second game where Coach Davidson had her 6 D's playing forward and 6 forwards playing D and you hardly saw a difference...
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Nicklin3011*

Mid Level Mens leagues teams could beat them. I have a harder shot and I just started playing 4 yrs ago

Old
02-18-2010, 01:32 PM
BaconStrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklin3011 View Post
Mid Level Mens leagues teams could beat them. I have a harder shot and I just started playing 4 yrs ago
How do you know that? By watching on television and then comparing it to your own shot?

Seriously, the women's team would compete against the best midget AAA teams.

This means that they are better than the majority of the people who post here. I am sorry if this bruises your ego somehow. Furthermore, these girls are probably stronger than your average beer leaguer.

Comments like: I have played four years and shoot harder are ludicrous. Even if you can manage to shoot harder, you are nowhere near as accurate. Hitting the glass harder is pretty pointless.

Unless you were a decent Jr. B player or better (and kept it up), I doubt you are better than the current Canadian or American players, in any facet of the game and saying otherwise is delusional masculine posturing.

Old
02-18-2010, 02:08 PM
jsykes

I didnt mean for this to be a men vs. women thing, I was honestly just trying to get a feel for their level of play.

I realize that as women and the physical differences, speed and power would be different and its an obviously slower game than the mens game as I mentioned.

However, I ask, because when you watch them closely, on the individual level, they seem to have some really good skills. The stickhandling of the better players is obviously very high caliber, their skating ability seems to be very good and fluid, and their heads up hockey sense seems to be very good as well with some of the better women.

Then when you take a step back though, the speed is down, the shot power seems to be really lacking with many of the women, I see a lot of "slappers" that bounce from the blue line and they just seem lacking. Again, understand the strength difference but it just seemed like a real wide gap in the different skills. Skating/stickhandling, quite high, while shooting and passing seems to be not a lot better than the average beer leaguer or kids team.

I'm not putting any of them down by any means, please know that. I was just curious as to how the skills stack up.

I also recognize a HUGE skill difference between the women of Canada/USA and teams such as Slovakia and China. Watching those teams play each other you notice the lack of skills, especially the hockey sense as passing and stickhandling errors, not to mention just bad decisions are more obvious.

Anyway, good discussion, not meant to put them down and please dont do that, just was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience playing or watching them up close to get a good idea of skills.

Closed Thread