HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How good are Olympic women?

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2010, 05:36 AM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by POW66 View Post
I shouldn't of said best. I meant the best of your regular, comp. beer leagues.

I'm talking about B-level beer leagues. The most common of them. The ones that have mostly ex-high school players, a few who played junior here and there, and a few ringers who were good, but drank away most of high-school. The few A-level beer-league teams consisting mostly of guys who played AA-AAA, fringe-solid OHL'ers, fringe ECHL'ers, and some of their good buddies who played CIS equate to about a full Junior B team.

Although I will agree with you that Tier-II A has definitely gone down the drain, I would pick a +.500 Tier II team against most national teams. I remember the Womens national team played the Espanola Eagles in 97' in my hometown and it was a big event that everyone was crazy about and hyped up for weeks and the Eagles (a .500 Tier II A team) won something like 6-2 or 6-3. You could tell if they had been hitting, it wouldn't of been close.

Edit: Although I don't know what kind of Junior A teams you're watching that would "get the crap beaten out of them" by ANY Beer League team.
Like I said, some of the private leagues would definitely. When the minimum requirement to step on the ice is to have played Major Junior, and you have to be personally invited, and most of the guys have played Pro at the AHL level or better, that is what I am talking about, which is why you have to define beer league, and not use the word, ANY.

Old
02-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by POW66 View Post
Women's hockey does almost nothing for the sport.
Do you happen to know what the strongest growing group in USAH is, the group with the largest percentage of new players? The women. Spoken like a true elitist.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:22 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Do you happen to know what the strongest growing group in USAH is, the group with the largest percentage of new players? The women. Spoken like a true elitist.
Not that I support this claim (I am very neutral on the subject) just because there are more women playing doesn't mean its accomplishing anything for the sport.

Old
02-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Cams

To whoever said young girls don't grow "wanting to be them"..., my daughter is 11, and sure, she idiolizes Sidney Crosby, Taylor Hall, etc..... but she wants to be the next Megan Agosta, Cassie Campbell, etc. I think a college scholarship is a real possibility for her as long as she keeps at it.

Old
02-19-2010, 01:28 PM
mp422

The Canadian Team plays at a Major Midget Level

Which is pretty good calibre hockey.

In preparation for the 2010 Olympics, the Canadians played approx 40 games against Canadian midget competition. They went 16-10 against teams from the Alberta Midget Hockey Team.

If I was preparing for a competition like the olympics, I would try and play as many games as I could against competition that is equal or better to that of my skill level. It wouldn't help very much at all to repeatedly play teams that are below or well below your own skill level.

I played in a competetive league (Heritage B) where 6 or 7 of Team Canada's members were on an opposing team. We played them twice, they had good skill, and were nice skaters, a little slower and easily knocked off the puck.

With respect to Ruggeiro playing pro, it appears to me to be a similar situation to the Manon Rheaume experiment, she only played one game. Wickenheiser put in almost an entire season, that's pretty impressive to me.

Old
02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp422 View Post
Which is pretty good calibre hockey.

In preparation for the 2010 Olympics, the Canadians played approx 40 games against Canadian midget competition. They went 16-10 against teams from the Alberta Midget Hockey Team.

If I was preparing for a competition like the olympics, I would try and play as many games as I could against competition that is equal or better to that of my skill level. It wouldn't help very much at all to repeatedly play teams that are below or well below your own skill level.

I played in a competetive league (Heritage B) where 6 or 7 of Team Canada's members were on an opposing team. We played them twice, they had good skill, and were nice skaters, a little slower and easily knocked off the puck.

With respect to Ruggeiro playing pro, it appears to me to be a similar situation to the Manon Rheaume experiment, she only played one game. Wickenheiser put in almost an entire season, that's pretty impressive to me.
they played midget club teams so that they would win more than they lost, nothing like preparing in a losing atmosphere

As far as Manon Rheaume playing pro, Phil was still trying to generate interest in the game and spark sales, it was a gimmick nothing more

Wickenheiser played in a league that was no better than a Jr B league in Canada minus the hitting of course. Generally guys in those leagues are good but most of them lack either the speed, size or puck handling skills necessary to go further. I think what Wickenheiser did was great and all, but it is what it was. It speaks volumes for her dedication to the game but and correct me if I'm wrong she eventually left early as her playing time was cut to almost nil.

Old
02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
mp422

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
they played midget club teams so that they would win more than they lost, nothing like preparing in a losing atmosphere

As far as Manon Rheaume playing pro, Phil was still trying to generate interest in the game and spark sales, it was a gimmick nothing more

Wickenheiser played in a league that was no better than a Jr B league in Canada minus the hitting of course. Generally guys in those leagues are good but most of them lack either the speed, size or puck handling skills necessary to go further. I think what Wickenheiser did was great and all, but it is what it was. It speaks volumes for her dedication to the game but and correct me if I'm wrong she eventually left early as her playing time was cut to almost nil.

Junior B calibre? Heh, could you imagine pro leagues in Canada with Junior B players. That would be fun, lots of stitches. I agree, Ruggiero and Rheaume's pro 'stints' were gimmicks, definitely.

Old
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Hockeyfan68

Good grief ... I am quitting this thread and moving on to the 21st century where women are respected.

The caveman hair on your male butts are showing boys.

Old
02-20-2010, 12:04 AM
alexanderovechkin8

better than 90% of the people in this thread for sure

Old
02-20-2010, 12:30 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp422 View Post
Junior B calibre? Heh, could you imagine pro leagues in Canada with Junior B players. That would be fun, lots of stitches. I agree, Ruggiero and Rheaume's pro 'stints' were gimmicks, definitely.
Ruggerio's was mainly so she could play with her brother in a PRO game.

Of course in that game, she was a plus 1, 1 assist, and had about 14 minutes of ice time, so pretty sure if she actually wanted to, she could play in the Central league, but she had other priorities at that time.

Old
02-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I have to think that like me, alot of us are watching the olympic hockey games back to back, women's right after/before watching the men's, and the size and speed differential is what pops off the screen most noticeably.
What people need to realize is that if you had a camera crew at your beer league or Midget AAA game and you watched the footage of it right after a men's Olympic match, the speed differential would be even worse. Your home game might feel fast when you're on the ice, but I promise you, unless you are playing in an absolutely elite beer league (and there actually are a few of those around) you will be shocked at how slow your game is if you ever get a chance to watch it on video.

Old
02-20-2010, 03:24 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Good grief ... I am quitting this thread and moving on to the 21st century where women are respected.

Women are much better at sports versus 30 years ago. Better coaching, better nutrition, weighlifting, more chances to play sports etc...Some of the US and Canadian women players have some wicked slappers and can stickhandle as good as anybody. They just can't muscle their way to the crease against Chara or Pronger. I can fight off a 190 lb man, but not one who is 220 lbs. At 165 lbs, I don't have the size or strength, even with a hairy butt. I think that is what some of the other men are trying to get across.

Old
02-20-2010, 03:49 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

the question asked was "How good are Olympic women"

the comparitive is with mens leagues and levels and asking for an opinion on that subject

While you may not like the opinions, the opinions offered are not an assesment of women in general nor their rights. To fall back on the caveman allegory or to say that these opinions are somehow chauvanistic is mis-guided at best.

Womans hockey has come a long way to be sure, of that there is no doubt. That being said it would be wrong-headed to think that somehow the best women hockey players in the world could stand up to a team comprised of Jr A level players let alone any level of pro hockey. Womens hockey has neither the speed nor skill level to compete in any meaningful way at that level.

Old
02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Good work guys. Again the lacok of maturity has been shown on this board.

This topic has been beat to death on both the Olympic boards and here. I'm not sure what 90% of people's problems are, apparently a female hockey player killed the family dog...

Until maturity can be shown, this thread will NOT be re-opened.