HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nets deal to play at the Rock done

Old
02-20-2010, 09:44 AM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Breaker View Post
LOLuongo. I went in september because my boss had season tickets with some friends. The game was terrible and my buddy and I were bored out of our minds. No one was around us and we were about 10 rows from the field. It was weird.

Are those really necessary to look like that though?? I mean, you are at a sporting event. You don't go to a basketball game to play pool and sit in a kitchen.
and sit with a view of the game and watch ****ing TV's on a couch.

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
I still have the feeling that this doesn't go down. I still know it's basically 2 1/2 years to go but the construction has been delayed for a LONG time and has had many problems.

I think if the Nets put out just an average team out there, not a ****** one, then a lot of people would come to the games and it would show how completley dumb it is to make an entire new stadium if they can get fans @ the prudential center.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Game Breaker

Send a message via AIM to Game Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveof666 View Post
and sit with a view of the game and watch ****ing TV's on a couch.
****, I'll charge half price for people to watch at my house AND we all can play ps3 at halftime.

"...then they take their ****** 7 foot Chara, who sticks out like a ***** in sweatpants..."- Devs4thCup
Game Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 10:06 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
They will be starting from scratch and will need to acquire new fans, might as well name them the Brooklyn Supersonics.
If they move, I would guess they'll change the name. The "Nets" is pathetic anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Mike View Post
I still have the feeling that this doesn't go down. I still know it's basically 2 1/2 years to go but the construction has been delayed for a LONG time and has had many problems.
Wouldnt shock me in the least.

BenedictGomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Devils Dominion
Shero is my Hero

Had dinner at Green Street Cafe last night (very good food BTW) before the 3Days Grace show, and they are tickled pink that the Nets are coming to Newark next season. I am sure all area bars/resturants are too.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 06:50 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
If they move, I would guess they'll change the name. The "Nets" is pathetic anyway.

I'm pretty sure they've been called the New York Nets before. I'd be shocked if they change names.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
PacManNJD
Legend

Reasons why I'm already getting over this and will welcome the Nets to the Rock with open arms:

1) The Devils still OWN the arena... Much like the TD Garden in Boston, the arena's colors and art will be heavily influenced by the resident hockey team for this very reason. And in all honesty, there are some terrible pieces of art in the concourses for our team (the tiny-headed Devils come to mind), I wouldn't care at all if they maybe put some murals up celebrating the Nets' Glory Days in the ABA and the Doctor, Julius Erving. And as for the Club Seats, Hell, let's go back up to Boston, the entire seating bowl is in Bruins yellow and black even though the Celtics play there. And think about it this way, also... A pretty penny was invested in decking out the building for the Devils (especially when it comes to Championship Plaza). I doubt Mr. Vanderbeek would make any significant changes to the building's atmosphere for that very reason.

2) 41 Guaranteed Dates = MONEY.

3) The banners? Please. I've begun to see that I was being ridiculous with this myself. The Nets' banners commemorate significant achievements, not stupid "Fans #1" ******** that many people seem to think the Nets hang back up at the Meadowlands. If anything, I applaud the Nets for their collection of banners, as they've kept the ABA titles from Long Island flying from the rafters and celebrate some legends of the game such as Dr. J.

4) Attendance. If they put a mediocre or even better team out there during their stay in Newark, you can bet that the fans will return, especially considering the Rock is infinitely more convenient and is in a somewhat pleasant financial district and not in the boonies.

5) The local economy will get some help as well. The bars and restaurants will receive increased patronage and more arena workers from within Newark will have jobs.

6) The ice probably won't suffer that much. I'm sure they have improved methods of maintaining the ice, and well, there's already a college basketball team and a good amount of events that hide the ice already.

7) Both the Devils and Nets seem to be better when they're in the same building. Amirite?

8) It's only two years.

Last edited by PacManNJD: 02-21-2010 at 02:35 PM.
PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
forceten

Send a message via AIM to forceten
They were the NY Nets in the ABA, but what people forget is that their first year in the ABA they were started in NJ. Played in Teaneck. So they ARE an original NJ team, not NY.

I dunno. I like this because the Izod needs to go and is wasting tax dollars. Xanadu.. ugh. And I think having an NBA team in Newark is a good thing.

But as a Seton Hall fan I don't want SHU being a #3 tenant. SHU moved with the Devils and are a better team anyway, and should get priority. The only good thing is having the floor down will mean more practice time in Pru Center rather than at Walsh.

Amazing how the NBA is so different from NHL. NBA lets teams move easily. NHL fights teams moving.

Good question by another poster that nobody fielded. I'm interested too - if the Barclay's goes up - would NYI move there? It IS Long Island... and not that far from Nassau County.

forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
devils1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post
Reasons why I'm already getting over this and will welcome the Nets to the Rock with open arms:

1) The Devils still OWN the arena... Much like the TD Garden in Boston, the arena's colors and art will be heavily influenced by the resident hockey team for this very reason. And in all honesty, there are some terrible pieces of art in the concourses for our team (the tiny-headed Devils come to mind), I wouldn't care at all if they maybe put some murals up celebrating the Nets' Glory Days in the ABA and the Doctor, Julius Erving. And as for the Club Seats, Hell, let's go back up to Boston, the entire seating bowl is in Bruins yellow and black even though the Celtics play there. And think about it this way, also... A pretty penny was invested in decking out the building for the Devils (especially when it comes to Championship Plaza). I doubt Mr. Vanderbeek would make any significant changes to the building's atmosphere for that very reason.

3) The banners? Please. I've begun to see that I was being ridiculous with this myself. The Nets' banners commemorate significant achievements, not stupid "Fans #1" ******** that many people seem to think the Nets hang back up at the Meadowlands. If anything, I applaud the Nets for their collection of banners, as they've kept the ABA titles from Long Island flying from the rafters and celebrate some legends of the game such as Dr. J.

4) Attendance. If they put a mediocre or even better team out there during their stay in Newark, you can bet that the fans will return, especially considering the Rock is infinitely more convenient and is in a somewhat pleasant financial district and not in the boonies.

5) The local economy will get some help as well. The bars and restaurants will receive increased patronage and more arena workers from within Newark will have jobs.

6) The ice probably won't suffer that much. I'm sure they have improved methods of maintaining the ice, and well, there's already a college basketball team and a good amount of events that hide the ice already.

7) Both the Devils and Nets seem to be better when they're in the same building. Amirite?

8) It's only two years.
Hell yeah I'm all for the Nets

devils1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Yuck.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
FLEX225

Send a message via AIM to FLEX225
Agreed. Yuck indeed.

FLEX225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Still not a fan but those are the breaks. Just hope it's only 2 yrs.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
Hoooray Nets!

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanghostx View Post

Not if they're unable to draw enough to cover operating expenses on those dates.

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyelias View Post
Not if they're unable to draw enough to cover operating expenses on those dates.
lease agreement. they probably get the same thing whether 16 or 16,000 people show up. it's the associated expenses they'd get hurt on

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolstonisuseless View Post
lease agreement. they probably get the same thing whether 16 or 16,000 people show up. it's the associated expenses they'd get hurt on
Very true. Have the terms of the lease agreement been publicized?

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:42 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyelias View Post
Very true. Have the terms of the lease agreement been publicized?
I don't think they've been finalized yet.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Fire Pete DeBoer

I would love to go to Net games again, but vowed never to go see a sporting event at the Izod. especially cause they are so bad right now that i wanna show my support some how.

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Chico Eats

It seems like the Devils aren't getting anything in return? Do they get any kind of cut from ticket revenue or the bar or food or anything?

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Devils Dominion
Shero is my Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils34 View Post
It seems like the Devils aren't getting anything in return? Do they get any kind of cut from ticket revenue or the bar or food or anything?
Yes, of course they will otherwise they would have not courted the Nets to come play at The Rock. It was done with economics in mind, not because the Nets are a good team.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils34 View Post
They probably get all of it unless the Nets sell more tickets then their 'lease' will cost.

Example = Nets owe the DAM (Devils Arena Management) $2M per to play. They sell $1M at the box office. The Devils will keep 100% of all other revenue until the other $1M is recouped.

But this is NJ. Who knows what type of backroom deal went down. Notice how since the Nets moving to Newark talks started, the media suddenly doesn't talk about the 'rent' or 'tax' owed to the City of Newark? Hrrrmmm....

03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

Maybe they'll give the Devils this too:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/N...returns-030210

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:11 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveof666 View Post
Maybe they'll give the Devils this too:
The New Jersey Nets misery knows no shame. Embarrassing.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Wow, that's pathetic.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:17 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

LOL. This will now get national and international attention as it's a cover story on YHOO's homepage today. Not the first sports page mind you, but the actual homepage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,225353