HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada's fundamental philosphy (roster talk/omissions)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2010, 02:17 PM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
B.Richards - Lecavalier - St.Louis
Stamkos

Keith - Green
Bouwmeester - Doughty
Niedermayer - Pronger
Boyle

Luongo
Brodeur
Fleury

Simply a better team than the one we have now, period.

Get rid of all the PLODDING GRIT (seabrook, weber, morrow, bergeron, m.richards) and replace them with elite skaters with elite skill (green, bouwmeester, St.Louis, vinny, b.richards).

And all we had to do was replace our unqualified GM with a computer that can read stats.

Old
02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
... Except the "plodding grit" that we brought isn't losing us the games. The "elite skill" is.

Old
02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
zeke
#freewilly

The plodding grit is doing NOTHING.

NOTHING.

Old
02-23-2010, 02:39 PM
awesomo
HARD!

its unfortunate perry got on this team, the only reason he is here because of the chemistry with getzlaf

Old
02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
B.Richards - Lecavalier - St.Louis
Stamkos

Keith - Green
Bouwmeester - Doughty
Niedermayer - Pronger
Boyle

Luongo
Brodeur
Fleury

Simply a better team than the one we have now, period.

Get rid of all the PLODDING GRIT (seabrook, weber, morrow, bergeron, m.richards) and replace them with elite skaters with elite skill (green, bouwmeester, St.Louis, vinny, b.richards).

And all we had to do was replace our unqualified GM with a computer that can read stats.
So you'd replace one of our better forwards, Jonathan Toews, and one of our better defencemen, Shea Weber?

Old
02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
puckfan13

This has probably been discussed, but why is everyone lamenting the selections of Morrow/Bergeron?

Haven't they been playing their roles fine? Doing what's asked of them? Ben Eager and Blair Betts wouldn't be ripped on for their lack of scoring and offense. Everybody fills different roles within a team, only so many people can be in a scoring role. Haven't we seen that problem present itself already in the past 3 games? There's not enough ice-time and pucks to go around for all the players.

For people vouching for the inclusion of Stamkos and MSL, instead of replacing Richards/Morrow/Bergeron, shouldn't they be replacing a guy like PERRY. A guy like Perry (RH shot, top-6 offense type guy) isn't perfroming up to the standards set out for his role as a player.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but this was a pretty hotly debated topic pre-Olympics. Does anybody disagree that Stamkos would have been a better choice than Perry (I know the chemistry factor)?

Having Stamkos on Crosby's right (he played RW at WJC's correct?) and on the left side for the PP finishing off Crosby's cross-ice feeds would have been deadly.

Old
02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
The plodding grit is doing NOTHING.

NOTHING.
They are not losing us these games. You know who is? Players like Thornton, Getzlaf, Staal, Perry, Nash, Pronger, Niedermayer, and even Crosby... all star players, all with "elite skill," all stinking it up when it matters most.

Personally, I would give the "plodding grit" more ice time. At least they might hit somebody.

Old
02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
They are not losing us these games. You know who is? Players like Thornton, Getzlaf, Staal, Perry, Nash, Pronger, Niedermayer, and even Crosby... all star players, all with "elite skill," all stinking it up when it matters most.

Personally, I would give the "plodding grit" more ice time. At least they might hit somebody.
Aside from the US game, where they got very little ice time from the mid-to-late 2nd period onwards, I think the Toews/Morrow/Bergeron/Richards line has been effective so far in their role - ie, creating energy by playing physical, cycling the puck down low, and creating scoring chances. Bergeron has taken (and won) some critical defensive zone draws. I personally think Nash and Staal have been good to very good, but the other guys you mentioned have indeed stunk it up so far.

Old
02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Kave Deon

How much would I stink up this thread if I postulated this theory? What if the exact same team line-up were playing on a European-sized ice surface, would Canada be faring better? Some of these guys have been selected not just for their NHL performance but also from their performance at the World championships, guys like Nash and Heatley to name but two, but there are many others.

Old
02-23-2010, 04:32 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave Deon View Post
How much would I stink up this thread if I postulated this theory? What if the exact same team line-up were playing on a European-sized ice surface, would Canada be faring better? Some of these guys have been selected not just for their NHL performance but also from their performance at the World championships, guys like Nash and Heatley to name but two, but there are many others.
I wouldn't like the look of this team on an international ice surface to be honest, as I think there would be a glaring lack of speed. Of our forwards, I'd be comfortable with: Crosby, Iginla, Nash, Staal, Marleau, Heatley, Toews, Richards, and Getzlaf. Stamkos, Carter and St. Louis, to name just a few, would presumably get selected based on the speed factor. Perry, Morrow and Bergeron would be exposed IMO. On defense, Pronger and maybe even Niedermayer (based on what I've seen out him so far) wouldn't look good on the international surface, maybe Seabrook as well. Bouwmeester, on the other hand, is great on the larger ice surface.

I think the team would look a lot different on the international surface; at least, I hope it would.

Old
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Toews, Doughty: 0 Goals! = Questionable roster picks?

Toews and Doughty have not scored a single goal in the last 5 games, very questionable picks by Yzerman.. They need to step up, if Canada was to win gold we need everyone to get into the action including out 13th forward and 8th defenseman

Toews currently leads Canada in points with 7 (along with Heatley), our best faceoff man, great in his own zone, and does ALL the little things like he's a vet. And Doughty...

Geez I can't Decide which of these two is our better player. You?

Old
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Leo W

Dougty is so ill.

Old
jcorb58

Doughty is so smooth with the puck and his decision making..... awesome player

Old
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Oh yeah, they shutdown the Great 8 too

Old
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
dabeechman

Doughty is gaining trust. He was second on the team in TOI amongst all CAN players. That says a lot.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Haik

I wish Doughty was American. I'd buy his Olympic jersey.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Ok, can we talk about Toews? I thought Toews played another fantastic game , his point streak is 5, has not been shutdown a single

And defensively responsible

I love him

He's only Canada's leading scorer

Old
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
HotPie

Doughty is just insane.

I'm glad people other than Kings fans are able to see what a special talent this kid is. He's the best defensemen for Canada on a pretty stacked team defensively. That says a lot.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM
FlamesWillRiseAgain

It looks like Team Canada is gonna be good for a while...

Old
htpwn

I knew Doughty was good. I watched him play junior as a Guelph Storm fan, watched him in the World Juniors, have been following him somewhat this year as I have him in my hockey pool but this guy never ceases to amaze. He seems to take it to another level every game.

Old
fourstringninja

I'm American and i'm close to getting a towes canada jersey.

Thank god he's a Blackhawk.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Paul4587

Doughty is sick. Too bad he plays for the Kings, he's going to own the Ducks for years to come.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:05 PM
severian

I couldn't believe this thread title when I first saw it. Both guys have been nasty. I'm a Devils fan and I want a Doughty jersey. He scored a huge goal with under a minute to go to beat the Devils a month back. He is going to be a monster in this league.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Pittsburgh Pens*

I think Toews has been one of Canada's best all around forwards this tournament despite his no goal.

But i've been so impressed with Doughty, i never knew he was this good, i dont get to watching too many Kings games. He's been Canada's 2nd best defensemen behind Weber. Pretty sick for a 20 year old.

Old
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Toews is JUST as impressive as Doughty, IMO.

I really didn't think I could cheer for Canada at all because I intensly dislike guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Pronger, Brodeur and am not a Crosby fan, but guys like Weber, Toews, Staal and Doughty make them a hard team for me not to like and even Perry has impressed me some.

Closed Thread