HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Hockey Canada's fundamental philosphy (roster talk/omissions)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2010, 12:18 AM
  #351
VoiceOfReason
Registered User
 
VoiceOfReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: from parts unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I already posted here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...8#post24205028

But I stand by what I said, Canada couldn't score more than 3 goals against every decent team besides Russia (who just sucked). That team of players getting held to 3 goals is pathetic.

Got beat by Miller once, stoned by Hiller, stoned by Halak and then taken to 4v4 OT after they blew so many chances to put away USA in 3rd? Team was short on O and it wouldn't of come down to wire with better forward. Wouldn't be so thrilled with an OT win in gold medal game, just highlights how close Yzerman's team almost came to losing.
FACT: Turboflex jumped off the bandwagon like all fairweathers do!
FACT: Turboflex has an inferiority complex, which is the root of this thread!
FACT: Turboflex clearly has never played organized hockey! (otherwise he would understand the value of DEFENCE and GOALTENDING in an single-game elimination tournament)
FACT: Russia sucked because Canada took their game (offence) away from them and forced them to rely on their DEFENCE and GOALTENDING (or lack thereof).
FACT: Turboflex has ZERO credibility!
FACT: I was at the Gold Medal Game and was more then 'thrilled' to see OUR team (not your team) win in overtime!

VoiceOfReason is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 12:27 AM
  #352
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,166
vCash: 500
Can anyone tell me the name of the Canadian women's hockey player in this picture:



I think it's Botterill but can't tell...

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 12:28 AM
  #353
ronnyweed
Registered User
 
ronnyweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I already posted here:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...8#post24205028

But I stand by what I said, Canada couldn't score more than 3 goals against every decent team besides Russia (who just sucked). That team of players getting held to 3 goals is pathetic.

Got beat by Miller once, stoned by Hiller, stoned by Halak and then taken to 4v4 OT after they blew so many chances to put away USA in 3rd? Team was short on O and it wouldn't of come down to wire with better forward. Wouldn't be so thrilled with an OT win in gold medal game, just highlights how close Yzerman's team almost came to losing.
Didnt canada have the most goals in the tournament?

ronnyweed is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:56 AM
  #354
The Big Swede
Registered User
 
The Big Swede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gatineau,Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Can anyone tell me the name of the Canadian women's hockey player in this picture:



I think it's Botterill but can't tell...
Pretty sure thats Rebecca Johnston

The Big Swede is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 02:37 AM
  #355
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
Pretty sure thats Rebecca Johnston
Wow she looks way cuter in that picture than this one:


wolfgaze is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
  #356
Turboflex*
 
Turboflex*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
"That team of players getting held to 3 goals is pathetic."

So why is this Yzerman or Hockey Canada's fault? You're right, they ran into some GREAT goalies, if those goalies were only playing average then they'd have scored a couple more times a game.

The team was not short on O one bit. Maybe in hindsight, Stamkos or Carter might have been a nice addition over Bergeron, but so what? They still probably wouldn't have seen much ice time. If the World Cup was hypothetically this summer, the braintrust would pick every single player again, besides Bergeron.

Staal, Crosby and Iginla weren't going to be bumped by anyone of St. Louis, Stamkos, Carter, Brad Richards, or anybody else, so they aren't going to play on that line.

The Getzlaf/Perry tandem played excellent the last 3 games, Morrow turned out to be a perfect fit for them.

The Sharks line wasn't going to be left off, even though they weren't really as outstanding as they could have been, all 3 players have been near the top of the NHL scoring leaders all year playing together, they were locks.

Toews, Richards, Nash might have been the best 4th line in history.

They largely, picked a team to beat Russia, going with solid two way players with size and speed. Even though Russia played horrible, Canada did come out that game "like a bunch of gorillas", and even if Russia played their best they'd still have gotten smashed (if Canada played the same way), as I predicted
I agree they focused the team to beat Russia, which is why I started the thread, they were too obsessed with "shutting down" Russia when they shoulda been more worried about "great" goaltending.

In the end, their shut down Russia plan worked, great, but they coulda beaten Russia any number of ways. They still would of beaten Russia even if they picked a lineup of supercharged offence, and they also would of had a much easier time with Hiller/Halak/Miller too.

Turboflex* is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
  #357
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,930
vCash: 500
Even if Canada didn't win the tournament you should still be embarrased by this thread.

Didn't you complain about the addition of Morrow to the team?

therealdeal is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 06:12 PM
  #358
DetBigWangs
Registered User
 
DetBigWangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I agree they focused the team to beat Russia, which is why I started the thread, they were too obsessed with "shutting down" Russia when they shoulda been more worried about "great" goaltending.

In the end, their shut down Russia plan worked, great, but they coulda beaten Russia any number of ways. They still would of beaten Russia even if they picked a lineup of supercharged offence, and they also would of had a much easier time with Hiller/Halak/Miller too.
Classic example of grasping at straws.

DetBigWangs is offline  
Old
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
  #359
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I agree they focused the team to beat Russia, which is why I started the thread, they were too obsessed with "shutting down" Russia when they shoulda been more worried about "great" goaltending.

In the end, their shut down Russia plan worked, great, but they coulda beaten Russia any number of ways. They still would of beaten Russia even if they picked a lineup of supercharged offence, and they also would of had a much easier time with Hiller/Halak/Miller too.
You'd only be happy if Canada was absolutely PERFECT and that is IMPOSSIBLE.

Canuck21t is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.