Notices

is rolston an option?

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 09:08 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
is rolston an option?

was wondering if a guy like brian rolston interested your team. seems like the kind of player lemaire likes- good skills, great speed, responsible at both ends. how much would you pay for this guy?

Old
04-26-2004, 10:17 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
No...we have a lot of old guys

Old
04-27-2004, 02:14 AM
theo6060

To tell you the truth I'd be open. I've always liked the way he played the game and as you said I'm sure Jacques would like it as well. It would of course depend on what the B's are looking for in return. If it didn't include any of the top prospects like Sully, Koivu, Schutlz etc then we'd have to see. I just don't see DR parting with any top young talent at this point, maybe at the trade deadline last year, but even then that would have been slim.

Old
04-27-2004, 08:12 AM
ceber

What's Rolston's contract look like?

Old
04-27-2004, 11:47 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Isn't he a UFA next year? I'm almost positive he is. Why anyone would pay anything for a player who could be signed in the off season without giving up anything?

Old
04-27-2004, 12:29 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Personally, I would see what our young guns look like before jumping on a 31 one year old...

Old
04-27-2004, 01:14 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Isn't he a UFA next year? I'm almost positive he is. Why anyone would pay anything for a player who could be signed in the off season without giving up anything?
sorry...i meant would you pay, as in sign him as a UFA...my apologies for not being more clear.

Old
04-27-2004, 05:10 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
sorry...i meant would you pay, as in sign him as a UFA...my apologies for not being more clear.
He's getting 3+ right now. That puts him in pretty rare company on this team. I don't see this team signing him unless it's a big pay cut, but I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. We could use a good center that could help with some points. But isn't he more of a defensive than offensive guy? We just signed Walz to be our veteran center, penalty killing guy. Can Rolston be a playmaker/scorer on the top or second line?

Old
04-27-2004, 10:27 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

At 3+ million salary its difficult to see anything happening there. I would definetley like to see him in a Wild jersey though. Hes a great defensive player and he can score some goals. Hasnt he been like one of the top pk scorers in the league the past couple years though???

Old
04-27-2004, 10:28 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
He's getting 3+ right now. That puts him in pretty rare company on this team. I don't see this team signing him unless it's a big pay cut, but I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. We could use a good center that could help with some points. But isn't he more of a defensive than offensive guy? We just signed Walz to be our veteran center, penalty killing guy. Can Rolston be a playmaker/scorer on the top or second line?
i don't see rolston getting 3+ in the new climate. the thing is (and we've argued this for quite some time), rolston may be a better winger than he is a center. he's had opportunities as a 2nd line center, and he just has no playmaking abilities at all. the guy can score, but i haven't seen many centers who have no clue how to pass the puck. great speed- absolutely blinding. dangerous on the PK if used properly, and i think lemaire would turn him into a lethal threat shorthanded. he was like that under ftorek, but this year, he wasn't dangerous at all in that capacity. he's a good defensive player generally, and i'd say he's probably equally as good on both sides of the puck. could be a good fit for you guys- i think as a 2nd line LW.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:50 PM
DW

It's too bad, even at a reduced salary, he wouldn't get a realistic chance playing for the Wild. Not because of frugalities, but he's not what the doctored orderd so to speak. We could definitely use his skill even though our real need on this team is playmaking skill at center. Even with some of these young players coming into the fold, we have plenty of question marks other then this one position.

Mind you, there would be no complaints if the Wild were to rob players from my second favorite team in the NHL. It just doesn't seem likely that he (or any real UFA) gets a real call form Wild mangement.

Old
04-29-2004, 12:38 PM
BruinsGirl

With reduced salary Rolston probably will sign with the B's...not that I am very happy about that.

But nobody should consider him a Center (B's including). He is not a center, can't really win face-offs, can't make plays, can't pass well etc.

Old
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Sounds like a Wild player, BG

Old
07-08-2004, 11:04 PM
neelynugs

this may be the first time i called something like this. maybe i should go play lotto or something

but seriously, congrats on signing rolston- good luck to you guys, except against us (which you don't seem to need, since you kick our arses each time we play )

Old
07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
ceber

Yeah, nice call!

Based on this thread, we're all surprised.

Now we get to see how he's used. Wing? Center?

I'm actually kind of curious to see him at center, despite the warnings. Lemaire may have an interesting effect on things (see Daigle).

Old
07-08-2004, 11:39 PM
theo6060

I'm liking this a lot. I think he would be a good fit on the Wild. Here's a link if anyone's interested.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...95&hubName=nhl

Old
07-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Russian_fanatic

I think Rolston would be perfect, I think he will sign with the Wilds today

Old
07-10-2004, 12:09 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Yeah, nice call!

Based on this thread, we're all surprised.

Now we get to see how he's used. Wing? Center?

I'm actually kind of curious to see him at center, despite the warnings. Lemaire may have an interesting effect on things (see Daigle).
i tell you what- the only thing i disliked about rolston was his total lack of playmaking. he seems to be better as a center b/c he uses his speed more in the middle of the ice, but then again, he doesn't ever pass the puck...and is mediocre to poor on the draw. it's a bizarre mix- in some facets, he makes a great center- in others, he's dreadful. most bruins fans cried for him to be on the wing for ages, and in game 7 vs. montreal, sullivan slid him over. i think he'll play wing for you guys b/c he's not a top 2 line center.

one more thing- i think rolston will lead the league in SH goals. for some reason, our PK this year was not dangerous at all. when used properly (as lemaire will likely do), rolston will be a threat on every SH shift.

Closed Thread