HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray stands up, shoulders blame

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Souray stands up, shoulders blame

Well, he has said he has to play better now, so will he???

TAMPA - He stood up.

The doors of the Canadiens dressing room opened to reveal what looked to be a deserted room. But in one corner sat Montreal defenseman Sheldon Souray, the Canadien who Lightning fans love to hate after he punched out defenseman Cory Sarich in Game 1.

Dressed in shorts and a Canadiens T-shirt, he waited. Unpleasant as it might be, he knew what was coming.

Seated at his locker, sweat still dripping from his face, Souray saw the pack of cameras and microphones coming toward him. And he stood up.

For 30 minutes, as wave after wave of reporters descended upon him, Souray patiently and politely answered every question. And that is no easy task when the questions are about being the goat of Game 2.

It was Souray's senseless penalty in the first period that gave the Lightning a two-man advantage and, essentially, a critical first goal. And - and this is the big one - it was Souray who coughed up the puck that led to Vinny Lecavalier's breakaway goal that turned out to be the play of the game and, perhaps, the series.

So, what happened?

"I just bobbled it," said Souray, as if he were replaying the nightmare in his mind.

With the Canadiens dominating the second period after cutting the Lightning lead to 2-1, they were just seconds away from recharging their batteries for what figured to be a frantic third. It seemed only a matter of time before they tied the score.

But Souray lost control of the puck at the Lightning blue line. Sarich - how's that for irony? - chipped it off the boards to Lecavalier, who scored on a breakaway with 2.4 seconds left.

"I had a million things going through my mind," said Souray. "And when that happens, that's not good."

He thought about passing the puck. Or dumping it behind the Lightning net. He considered circling back, or trying a long shot on goal.

He ended up doing none.

When he saw Lecavalier racing toward the Montreal end, Souray's thoughts went from a million to one: oh no.

"It's a little demoralizing," Souray said. "That puts us down 3-1. It's tough to come back from that instead of coming in here down 2-1."

As far as the critical play, Montreal coach Claude Julien didn't pin all the blame on Souray. Bad ice, he said, contributed to the puck popping off Souray's stick. Plus, Souray didn't get any help from defense partner Craig Rivet.

"We didn't react well," Julien said. "When you leave a player like Lecavalier behind the play, it becomes dangerous.

"With a little bit of time we want to be sure that we keep everybody in front of us, but we got caught flat-footed and they came back and scored what turned out to be a pretty important goal."

Almost as important was the always-important first goal. That came when the Lightning was on a five-on-three power play after Souray took an unnecessary cross-checking penalty.

"I just felt being down a man, I'd try to get away with one," Souray said.

"But you've got to be more disciplined than that."

Souray answered every question and before heading off to the showers, said, "I'm pointing the finger at myself. ... I think we have players who can play better and I put myself at the top of that list."

I dont care what people say, but anybody who can admit he has been crap and challenges him self rather than hidding in a corner, i give credit too.

Link:http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/26/Li..._up__sho.shtml

Old
04-26-2004, 10:02 AM
gottaluvdabolts

it takes guts to do that. It is all too easy to pout and hide. The real test will see how he responds in game 3. It will be interesting to see how the coaches and fans respond. Classy to not try to deflect the blame.

Old
04-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvdabolts
it takes guts to do that. It is all too easy to pout and hide. The real test will see how he responds in game 3. It will be interesting to see how the coaches and fans respond. Classy to not try to deflect the blame.
I agree, thats what makes Souray a great guy. Hes takes things like a man. Will he respond???, i have no idea.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
I wasn't as confident last night as I was after the Habs went down 2-0 othe Bruins.

But with these words, i'm back baby!!!

Ribeiro was the goat, stepped it up
Kovalev was the goat, stepped it up
Theo was the goat, stepped it up
and now Souray is the goat, he'll step it up

HABS IN 6!!!!!

Old
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Gros Bill

It's just too bad the only thing Souray has "shouldered" so far is blame...

Old
04-26-2004, 11:14 AM
sonnytheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
It's just too bad the only thing Souray has "shouldered" so far is blame...

HEYO!

Old
04-26-2004, 12:41 PM
mcphee

I agree with everything Sonny says because he's a Dylan fan.

Old
04-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Legolas

I'll be interested to see if Souray is injured at all once the playoffs are over. He just looks so slow on the ice...and those mistakes yesterday were horrible! Right now, Tampa is capitalizing on our mistakes much more effectively. I think Souray is in the same boat with Ryder...they each need a goal or one decent game to get going.

Old
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Darz

Souray needs to simply his game. The mistakes he is making since coming back from injury remind me alot of the mistakes Rivet was making at the begginig of the season.

Souray needs to get back to the basics and learn to play within his means. If injury is the reason he's been making mistakes, so be it, but he has to learn to play WITHIN his means.

I have confidence that game 3 of this series will be Souray's best game of the playoffs to date.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Guy Caballero

Souray's a great guy. Wouldn't expect any less. You people calling for his trade don't realize what an asset he is. A big, tough, fast defenseman with a booming shot and a good head on his shoulders? There are only 29 other teams right now looking for a guy like that.

Old
04-26-2004, 03:08 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Souray's a great guy. Wouldn't expect any less. You people calling for his trade don't realize what an asset he is. A big, tough, fast defenseman with a booming shot and a good head on his shoulders? There are only 29 other teams right now looking for a guy like that.
Big?(Not playing like it, he is playing like his bones are brittle and he has to avoid contact)

Tough?(Yes when he pounded Sarych, but hasnt played tough in the playoffs)

Fast?( Well i never , ever thought of him as fast, and in thesse playoffs especially the 2 in TB he looks as slow as Quintal, im shocked how slow he is or has become !)

Souray has alot of improvement to do!! Can he improve? Yes Will he? HAsnt done it up to now, by far HABS worst Dman in playoffs with Brisbois catching up after the 2 games ! If he is so injured that he cannot be effective, then rest him bring in dykhuis , he will not play as bad as Souray has, maybe a bit too much finger pointing has psyched him out, especially after mistake after mistake !!!

Old
04-26-2004, 03:26 PM
BJCOLLINS

Well done Sheldon.....now if the rest of the team(-Saks) stands up then maybe, we can win some games..........

Old
04-26-2004, 03:29 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS
Well done Sheldon.....now if the rest of the team(-Saks) stands up then maybe, we can win some games..........
Its one thing to stand up for blame. its another to stand up on the ice and play with some smarts and hard work !!

Old
04-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Habs

Souray is the least of our problems. He is one of the main reasons we made the playoffs.

However, the blame should never be put on one person, not when an entire lineup is running well below par.

Ribs - hasn't shown anything, has yet to deliver in a big game.
Ryder - 0 goals

Most likely, in my mind, our lack of size is catching up. The players are drained... or so it appears.

Old
04-26-2004, 03:37 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
Souray is the least of our problems. He is one of the main reasons we made the playoffs.

However, the blame should never be put on one person, not when an entire lineup is running well below par.

Ribs - hasn't shown anything, has yet to deliver in a big game.
Ryder - 0 goals

Most likely, in my mind, our lack of size is catching up. The players are drained... or so it appears.
Souray was one of the reasons HABS made playoffs, but remmeber he was injured for some time and the team pulled together and got some big wins without Souray!! Souray is one of the teams big problems to go with Brisbois and the 2nd line plus other problems, but Souray is not the least of our problems, he is one big problem the way he is playing !! Even with his injuries, im shocked at the poor level of play by him !!

Old
04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek
Souray was one of the reasons HABS made playoffs, but remmeber he was injured for some time and the team pulled together and got some big wins without Souray!! Souray is one of the teams big problems to go with Brisbois and the 2nd line plus other problems, but Souray is not the least of our problems, he is one big problem the way he is playing !! Even with his injuries, im shocked at the poor level of play by him !!
Well, considering his writs injury, and the season he has had.. he's still ok in my book.

How many players take a night off, and get away with it? What about #43's non-stop errors, #51's pathetic attempt at defence.. what about Rivet's inability to clear the zone..

Our entire defence is error filled. At least Souray has the balls to step up to the plate, unlike other members of the defence.

Old
04-26-2004, 05:55 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

This is probably off-topic, but I hate it when people blame Ryder for his lack of production. Well, in fact, this is not really a problem actually, because he does need to start scoring some clutch goals for us just like he did many times for the team in regular season. The fact is, I see many posters on this board talk about Ryder like he is not working hard enough on the ice. That's ridiculous. He is the same player we have seen all season long since the playoffs started... except the puck's not going in for him. You can see he tries very hard. He's one of the rare guys who has the guts to forecheck and battle aggressively for the puck in the corners. I agree, his shot, which is his main force, hasn't been really accurate since the Bruins serie started, but I'm not buying the "lack of effort" excuse. Michael has always been a hard-working player... even in his days with the Hull Olympiques.

Hey, this guy has been Mister Constancy for this team most of the season. He has always given the best he can... and most of the time he got the breaks a good player normally gets. He's not getting these breaks right now, that's it. I'm happy about his play, and no, I'm not disapointed because that's the type of player he is. One has to wish he'll manage to finally take advantage of the numerous scoring chances he gets every game pretty soon.

edit: typo

Last edited by didjuicythat: 04-26-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old
04-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
This is probably off-topic, but I hate it when people blame Ryder for his lack of production. Well, in fact, this is not really a problem actually, because he does need to start scoring some clutch goals for us just like he did many times for the team in regular season. The fact is, I see many posters on this board talk about Ryder like he is not working hard enough on the ice. That's ridiculous. He is the same player we have seen all season long since the playoffs started... except the puck's not going in for him. You can see he tries very hard. He's one of the rare guys who has the guts to forecheck and battle aggressively for the puck in the corners. I agree, his shot, which is his main force, hasn't been really accurate since the Bruins serie started, but I'm not buying the "lack of effort" excuse. Michael has always been a hard-working player... even in his days with the Hull Olympiques.

Hey, this guy has been Mister Constancy for this team most of the season. He has always given the best he can... and most of the time he got the breaks a good player normally gets. He's not getting these breaks right now, that's it. I'm happy about his play, and no, I'm not disapointed with his play. One has to wish he'll manage to finally take advantage of the numerous scoring chances he gets every game pretty soon.
I agree higginsFan, Ryder has been one of our tops, when it comes to pure effort. There is no reason why this guy wont improve, he works harder than a horse.

Old
04-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Habbadasher

Souray is obviously injured, and not at his best.

Ryder is trying like the devil, but nothing is working for him.

These two are character guys, to question them is just wrong minded.

Old
04-26-2004, 08:55 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Souray is obviously injured, and not at his best.

Ryder is trying like the devil, but nothing is working for him.

These two are character guys, to question them is just wrong minded.
IF Souray is so injured that he is a liability for this team (and he has been a liability, consistently) Then maybe he should sit and try to get healthier and someone who is 100 % should tke his spot(Dykhuis ) Look at Thornton in Boston, the way he played Boston would have been better served without him and a healthy body in his place!

Old
04-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
First time I read your title, I thought it read "Souray stands up, blames shoulder" :lol

Old
04-26-2004, 09:46 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Trivia people: which current habs player has the most career points in the playoffs against Tampa Bay?

Old
04-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Trivia people: which current habs player has the most career points in the playoffs against Tampa Bay?
Karl Dykhuis!

Closed Thread