HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For what it's worth, my 2 cents...

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 04:12 PM
David

vCash: 500
For what it's worth, my 2 cents...

I think that Montreal can bounce back. They were just caught off guard against the 'unorthodox' system of play by Johnny T's boys.
Coach Julien is tinkering with and adapting to and devising the best method to counter and I think that he's nearly there. That second period frenzy is just indicative of Montreal on the verge of solving the Tampa puzzle...it was just bad timing for a give away that led to a goal by Vinny that was like a swift kick to the stomach that took the wind out of that rally.

To be fair, hat's off to Tortellela for implementing such a system at this level of play at this time in trapping hockey history. However, the tactics that he's employing are variations on some of the most basic tactics that you see at bantem and midget level hockey. And as vehemently as some of the Tampa fans deny it, there is some serious cherry picking going on...no wonder little Marty St. Louis was able to get the point total that he did!

Anyways, the main problem with Montreal is that Montreal players, esp. the defense is simply being out worked and out hustled. Tampa just has so much more jump to their game esp. when they gain possession of the puck. Is it better conditioning or what? Because although everyone talks about skilled players, aside from the top end guys, Lightning is not that much more talented than Montreal's guys.

Montreal lacks the second line speed that the Lightning have but that's probably it in terms of comparison on paper. Ribeiro line needs to get going. If they can't score, start hitting or doing other useful things until their scoring comes back. Right now, they are jus taking up space.

As much and often as I am annoyed by Greg Millen, I have to agree with him on this one. Markov's defensive coverage has to get better (ie. more physical). His defensive play has reminded me a lot of #15 on that Toronto team...(what is the Czech dictionary's word for soft? Kaberle). As good as Markov can be, he needs to play hard, physical hockey when his spot in near Jose is being invaded!!! Same goes for Breezy and most of the other D-men on CH... Also, right now, because the defense is giving away so many break aways, it becomes very hard for the forwards to concentrate on attacking. Neutralize or don't fall victem to these break aways and I think that the tone of the game will be completely different.

While it's true that the officiating has been very inconsistant, if CH are going to get past Tampa, they have to work through these irrational calls and non-calls. The first two pentalties that led to 5 on 3 were questionable calls esp. if you measure them against some of the none calls later on. These calls were largely responsible for killing the energy that CH came out with at the beginning of the game...that, and the Souray hiccup in the 2nd.

Lastly, THERE IS STILL A LOT OF HOCKEY LEFT TO BE PLAYED!!!! Plus, through history, Khabby has never been good in the playoffs or big tournaments for long stretches. If Montreal gets a few by him that are iffy, it'll make him think and I won't be surprised at all if he self destructs!!! Montreal just has to keep at it 'cos once there's a crack in the Bulin Wall, I'm betting that it'll lead to a crumble!!!

Last edited by David: 04-26-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old
04-27-2004, 04:16 AM
tritone

Here's hoping for a Ryder hat-trick!!!!

Old
04-27-2004, 09:49 AM
mcphee

David, while I agree with a lot of your points, I don't get the cherry picking comments. The object is to outscore the other team by whatever means suit your talents. If your best players have explosive speed, wouldn't you want these guys in a position to capitalize on breakdowns ?

Old
04-27-2004, 10:11 AM
gottaluvdabolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
David, while I agree with a lot of your points, I don't get the cherry picking comments. The object is to outscore the other team by whatever means suit your talents. If your best players have explosive speed, wouldn't you want these guys in a position to capitalize on breakdowns ?

Give this man a cigar!

the "cherry picking" comments strike me as comparable to the big hitting but slow fighter saying to the smaller, faster, boxer... "stand still so i can hit you"

Call it cherry picking, or call it smart playing. whatever puts it in the net.

Old
04-27-2004, 02:07 PM
David

[QUOTE=mcphee]David, while I agree with a lot of your points, I don't get the cherry picking comments. The object is to outscore the other team by whatever means suit your talents. If your best players have explosive speed, wouldn't you want these guys in a position to capitalize on breakdowns ? QUOTE]

I think that you've just collaborated my 'cherry picking' comment with this statement...(ie. hard core cherry picking, endorsed by the coach!)

This is part their system! Very juvenile but hey, if they can make it work ...?

OT: How interesting that there is now such uneasiness with this term...esp. since the Wayner used to do this from time to time...

Old
04-27-2004, 02:37 PM
mcphee

when I was a kid, my arguement with Hawk fans was usually about whether whoever my hero was, was better than Bobby Hull. i'd usually come back with, oh yeah, Hull never backchecks. I have no idea as to whether this was true or not, I just wanted to win the arguement. Now its cherry picking, it used to be goal sucking, it was used to imply that someone was less than a complete player. The tB system calls for the 3rd man to head for an opening as soon as it looked like the puck pressure would cause a turnover. So far, it works for them and more power to them. I wouldn't be too quick to put them into an elite category yet, they look good but still have a lot to prove.

Old
04-27-2004, 03:52 PM
gottaluvdabolts

I guess lightning fans (myself included) are a bit self consious and defensive. It was not that long ago that we were the worst (by a huge margin of the second worst) team in the league. We were a laughing stock. losing to the lightning could get players benched and coaches fired. ok, so we stunk.

Now we have a good, young team that seems to be putting together a nice little run. Anytime we hear criticism, we have to fight the assumption that the criticism it trying to put us back in the "you stink" corner. We did not get respect before. we did not deserve it. now, any criticism looks like disrespect and we get all defensive.

I have found the Habs fans to be (for the most part) hospitable. And while they are true to their team, they also LOVE the game. They appreciate good hockey no matter who plays. they do not find any contradiction to admiring the skill and play of an opposing team, and at the same time stay true to their beloved Habs and look for chinks in the armor to exploit to beat that good team.

so, forgive us if we are a bit overly defensive. We don't mean to be. I sometimes need someone to pinch me to make sure I am not dreaming. If the lightning do lose in 6 or 7 games, I will be dissapointed, but I will try to take a cue from you guys and enjoy the rest of the playoffs. What a great game!

Old
04-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Bulrog

[QUOTE=David]
Quote:
Very juvenile but hey, if they can make it work ...?
The only thing juvenile about this series was Markov's act in Game 2.

And if the Habs' defense wasn't so slow, maybe it wouldn't look like cherrypicking?

Old
04-27-2004, 04:21 PM
mcphee

Nice conversational tone. it's curious how there's no place in hockey for Markov lying on the ice for whatever the reason, I've never spoken to the man. There is a place for an elbow in the mouth though.

Old
04-27-2004, 04:33 PM
Bulrog

Quote:
Nice conversational tone. it's curious how there's no place in hockey for Markov lying on the ice for whatever the reason, I've never spoken to the man. There is a place for an elbow in the mouth though.
I didn't say Roy shouldn't have been penalized. He was, and it was the correct call. But Markov acted like Roy broke his skull, and yet, somehow, managed not to miss a shift

Old
04-27-2004, 04:42 PM
mcphee

Markov has always stayed down after a big hit, a shot block, whatever. His coach has noted that he often looks like he's at death's door. Maybe he has a low pain threshold. Maybe he embellishes, though why he'd do it on shot blocks, I don't know. I'd rather he didn't do that, but he does. A wimp leaves the ice and won't play thru pain, or just plays soft. Markov doesn't play soft, he'll take a hit to make a play and is at his best against bigger, stronger forwards. Ask Boston fans, they hate him but he gave them all they could handle. I'd prefer Markov's level of 'juvenile' behavior that Roy who has made a career out of putting his team in trouble with juvenile play. A shoulder would have been easy to deliver, but hey,it's part of the game.

Old
04-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Bulrog

I'm certainly not in a position to debate the ins and outs of Markov's game, so I won't bother. You're right about Roy, although he hasn't done anything too stupid so far (aside from the elbow).

Closed Thread