HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Donnie Walsh for CO-GM

Old
02-20-2010, 10:55 PM
MESSY11

vCash: 500
Donnie Walsh for CO-GM

I've got an idea maybe Jimmy can borrow Mr Walsh from the knicks for the next 10 days maybe he can figure out how we can get under the cap and get rid of all the dead weight we got on our payroll

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 11:45 PM
b4mv01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSY11 View Post
I've got an idea maybe Jimmy can borrow Mr Walsh from the knicks for the next 10 days maybe he can figure out how we can get under the cap and get rid of all the dead weight we got on our payroll
You mean by like giving away two first round picks to clear the space for players who are not guaranteed to even sign here?

What if Bosh, James, or Wade don't sign? Then the Knicks are out two first round picks and no top player...then the Nets record will look like an all-star season

b4mv01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 11:52 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mv01 View Post
You mean by like giving away two first round picks to clear the space for players who are not guaranteed to even sign here?

What if Bosh, James, or Wade don't sign? Then the Knicks are out two first round picks and no top player...then the Nets record will look like an all-star season
Then they'll just do what they do best and throw a 5 year 70 million dollar contract at Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If James and Bosh don't come to NY, then they can sign a pair of free agents next year. Better than being killed with massive contracts for useless players that make Wade Redden look like Bobby Orr.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:04 AM
b4mv01

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If James and Bosh don't come to NY, then they can sign a pair of free agents next year. Better than being killed with massive contracts for useless players that make Wade Redden look like Bobby Orr.
As a Rockets fan I'm perfectly fine either way...no matter what the Knicks are going to suck and Houston's getting a top ten pick

Old
02-21-2010, 12:14 AM
b4mv01

in essence what Donny Walsh traded was Wade Redden a 2011 1st rounder, a 2012 1st rounder for whatever aged player with a bloated expiring contract you can think (Paul Koriya comes to mind) just to clear cap space...it just doesn't work out IMO

although to Donny Walsh's "advantage" in 2011 its a 1st overall pick protection and a top 5 protection in 2012

Old
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:

i wouldn't say that. they would be able to sign a few players like rudy gay to 1 year contracts until melo and chris paul become free agents, then max out on them and create a championship 1 year later than planned.

btw, the knicks core looked solid. idk about you but it seems like the aging jamison might give lebron some help but not enough to push him to that championship title. there was all this talk that jamison would become someone that lebron trusted to take a shot in a close game, and thus would make lebrons time easier. jamison went 0/12 in his cavs debut. while that will not be the case the rest of the season jamison is 34, he hasnt been on a good team in 3 seasons, nor put up good stats in the past 3 seasons. maybe he will never return to that all star form, think about how many players are 35 and still producing all star numbers... i cant really think of many ones that can do it on a consistent basis. sure there are the eddie houses, however those players are used as bench roles primarily. jamison would be used as a starter and also would be looked at as lebrons direct partner, something of which he may no longer be suited to be. therefore if the cavs do not make it to the championship this season, lebron may walk. after all, did you see what an aging tmac could do for the knicks? imagine if the knicks traded curry for a good young center, resigned lee, and signed lebron. tmac would resign, so would sergio, and house would as well. the knicks would be better than the cavs team by a long shot.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:27 AM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSY11 View Post
i don't even think they need walsh, putting redden in hartford will be half the battle already.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:30 AM
17futurecap

The Knicks did not give up 2 first round picks in this trade, the Rockets can swap 2011 picks with them, but they will still have a pick, and if they sign 2 free agents, that picks should be in the 20's.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

What sport is this?

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:44 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Walsh+Sather CO-GM?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:48 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
The Knicks did not give up 2 first round picks in this trade, the Rockets can swap 2011 picks with them, but they will still have a pick, and if they sign 2 free agents, that picks should be in the 20's.
True, but it is still a big gamble. If I recall correctly, they already didn't have a 1st rounder this year...and after this deal they have the worse of their pick or the Rockets 1st in 2011...and they gave the Rockets their 1st in 2012.

2010 - No First Rounder
2011 - Low First Rounder
2012 - No First Rounder

Obviously they don't plan on building through the draft. It's Lebron or bust for the Knicks.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:52 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
True, but it is still a big gamble. If I recall correctly, they already didn't have a 1st rounder this year...and after this deal they have the worse of their pick or the Rockets 1st in 2011...and they gave the Rockets their 1st in 2012.

2010 - No First Rounder
2011 - Low First Rounder
2012 - No First Rounder

Obviously they don't plan on building through the draft. It's Lebron or bust for the Knicks.
It is a huge gamble, and I can't blame him for the 2010 pick, that is all Isiah, but we will just have to see in July what Donnie can do.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:06 AM
MSG the place to be*

building a contender in the nba and nhl are completely different. If Ovechkin, Crosby and some other studs were available this summer and if hockey players played 4/5 (and in the playoffs 5/5) of the game you would want to do anything possible to get these guys wouldnt you?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 07:27 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
building a contender in the nba and nhl are completely different. If Ovechkin, Crosby and some other studs were available this summer and if hockey players played 4/5 (and in the playoffs 5/5) of the game you would want to do anything possible to get these guys wouldnt you?
Yep! You get way more out of the NHL imo, then the NBA draft. If there isn't a franchise player in the draft (NBA) you will likely get either a bust or come out of it with role players. From that standpoint it's easier to build through via the draft in the NHL.
And that's with drafting high. I'm not even talking about mid-late first round for the NBA draft.

Definitely worth the gamble if you're Donnie Walsh. imo

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Nyrvana

Quote:

First of all they are trading first round picks in 2011. Meaning if the Knicks do worse than the Rockets, the Rockets have the choice to trade picks with the Knicks. Donnie's plan here is that we sign 2 guys and become an instant contender. Like how the Celtics did it and then won the Championship.

Worse case scenario is no one signs and Donnie has to wait till the next year.

I would MUCH rather be in the Knicks situation then the Rangers. However we both have dead weights Redden vs. Curry. But at least Curry's deal is only 1 more year.

Nyrvana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
First of all they are trading first round picks in 2011. Meaning if the Knicks do worse than the Rockets, the Rockets have the choice to trade picks with the Knicks. Donnie's plan here is that we sign 2 guys and become an instant contender. Like how the Celtics did it and then won the Championship.

Worse case scenario is no one signs and Donnie has to wait till the next year.

I would MUCH rather be in the Knicks situation then the Rangers. However we both have dead weights Redden vs. Curry. But at least Curry's deal is only 1 more year.
One more year? I was under the impression it's off the book at the end of the season.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:39 AM
polako

Walsh is no better than Sather.

If NYK are able to get their targets in the summer and come out a new team come next season, then good on them.

However, Walsh took a VERY FLAWED, yet semi-competitive team and completely flushed it down the toilet for 2 years, trading away draft picks, bombing on his draft choices, and making a mockery of a once-proud franchise by openly campaigning for another team's superstar.

I don't want to see the same thing happen to the NYR.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
One more year? I was under the impression it's off the book at the end of the season.
Nope...he has an option for 2011. The Knicks could buy him out and gain another $3 million or so at season's end. Or, the could use that $11 million in an expiring contract by next trading deadline to add pieces. Or, if they could pursue Carmelo Anthony in July 2011, if the the 2 max contracts don't come about this summer, once Curry comes off the cap.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post

If NYK are able to get their targets in the summer and come out a new team come next season, then good on them.

However, Walsh took a VERY FLAWED, yet semi-competitive team and completely flushed it down the toilet for 2 years, trading away draft picks, bombing on his draft choices, and making a mockery of a once-proud franchise by openly campaigning for another team's superstar.

Walsh is 1000 times better than Sather

I don't know how much Walsh knows about hockey but give me him over uncle Sather any day

I'm a Knicks fan and he has taken us from cap hell and having a cancer team to landing us 2 stars.

Trust me even if we don't get Lebron we will get 2 studs

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

Got any quotes to back that one up? That would be known as tampering.

And, I'm sorry, but after watching one game with a player like McGrady on the court, as a Knick fan I remembered what it was like to watch actual talent on the court. If you were satisfied with clowns like Crawford, Randolph and Marbury, and wallowing in the pit that was the past decade of Knicks basketball, then I don't know what to tell you. I haven't seen a player like that in a Knick uniform since the likes of Sprewell, Houston and LJ were here. Last night was possibly the first game I watched in full as a Knick fan since the new millennium began.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 10:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

A once proud franchise? What exactly do the Knicks have to be proud of? 2 championships 40 years ago?

I'm not a huge Walsh fan, but he pretty much did the only thing he could. Semi-competitive...lol. Seriously? That team was awful.

The Rangers aren't exactly a once proud franchise, either. 4 Cups in 80+ years isn't something to brag about. Fact is, both teams are pathetic. At least one of them finally showed the willingness to sacrifice and WAIT, something the Rangers have yet to do.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I like what Donnie is doing, I just hate that the plan is so centered around this summer and elements out of the Knicks control.

He completely blundered the first pick in the last draft though. Should've taken Jennings.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:52 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
I like what Donnie is doing, I just hate that the plan is so centered around this summer and elements out of the Knicks control.

He completely blundered the first pick in the last draft though. Should've taken Jennings.
A few teams past on him. No one knew exactly what he was. And you know what? The jury is still out.
He has not done much since November. Each month his shooting % has gone down.

Besides I think he really wanted Rubio or Curry. He should have traded up if he REALLY wanted them.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Got any quotes to back that one up? That would be known as tampering.
You're joking right? Just about everyone knows the Knicks will be going hard after Lebron and another max contract this summer. It's why they did the Houston deal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote