HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Donnie Walsh for CO-GM

Old
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
MESSY11

vCash: 500
the point is maybe he can undo all the idiotic FA signings made by sather.. like he did with the Knicks (Isaih) and if they can sign some good young FA like Kovalchuk. We have 2 (redden and drury and not rosival because his contract is manageable and he is not that bad) players that are just dragging us down. That all

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mv01 View Post
As a Rockets fan I'm perfectly fine either way...no matter what the Knicks are going to suck and Houston's getting a top ten pick
Houston did great.

No way the Knicks are gonna suck. They are going to get a great guard and a great forward out of this summer no matter what James does.

The team to worry about is the Nets. If they can't land LeBron, they might as well retain all that cap space for 2012 b/c they aren't going to grab anyone.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea there are so many good UFAs and FAs that, even if it isn't Lebron, the Knicks will get two good people. Donny Walsh is a smart guy, he is not going to overpay someone should he not get Lebron or Wade.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but:
- I think Lebron will stay in Clevland
- Dwayne will got to Chicago
- Amar'e will go to Miami.
- If worst comes to worse we get Joe Johnson and Chris Bosh, and that isn't too shabby imo. Is that the scenario I want, no because I want Lebron here, but if this is the scenario we get then we will aready be a better team so I'm ok with it.

Knicks now have flexibility, I don't know when the last time was the Rangers could say the same thing.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
Houston did great.

No way the Knicks are gonna suck. They are going to get a great guard and a great forward out of this summer no matter what James does.

The team to worry about is the Nets. If they can't land LeBron, they might as well retain all that cap space for 2012 b/c they aren't going to grab anyone.
I don't think they're getting anyone either.

I know it's a new building and all but the big FAs aren't going to want to play in NJ for 2 years.
And they are to the Knicks what the Clippers are to the Lakers. Don't think the Clippers are getting anyone big either.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
BrettG10

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Walsh is no better than Sather.

If NYK are able to get their targets in the summer and come out a new team come next season, then good on them.

However, Walsh took a VERY FLAWED, yet semi-competitive team and completely flushed it down the toilet for 2 years, trading away draft picks, bombing on his draft choices, and making a mockery of a once-proud franchise by openly campaigning for another team's superstar.

I don't want to see the same thing happen to the NYR.
When were the Knicks "competitive"? They sucked and every Knick fan wanted them to get under the cap. And I wouldn't consider Gallo "bombing on a draft choice".

He never openly compaigned for him. Every team with cap space is going to go after LeBron. Everybody knows that.

You're basically saying you want us to be mediocre?

BrettG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:41 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I don't think they're getting anyone either.

I know it's a new building and all but the big FAs aren't going to want to play in NJ for 2 years.
And they are to the Knicks what the Clippers are to the Lakers. Don't think the Clippers are getting anyone big either.
What you say is exactly what I mean.

Playing with the little Debbies in Newark will be a huge breath of fresh air to see on TV much less in person I'd imagine.

But no way any top notch UFA will want to come there and stick it out for 2 years unless LeBron is signed, sealed, and delivered. And that is such a longshot it isn't worth discussing much.

Old
02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
gotmonte

I didnt read through all these posts, but I just found out yesterday the Knicks dont have their first rounder this year.

I am not a big Basketball fan. Seems the score changes every two seconds and with my ADD I seem to walk away from the tv too much. Unless we are talking about Hockey where usually one point changes the ENTIRE game. But taken that all in to consideration, I am trying to become more a Knick Fan.

Now with that being said, here I am thinking this entire season, "cool, let them bomb and they MAY get the first overall". What could be better? Then I find out they dont even own the pick this year. It was like a kick in the balls! Thats like finding out at the last minute, the Rangers dont own the pick this year. It would be suicidal. Just sucks to see the Knicks cant pick first or second overall due to some ****** trade.

Friggin New York. Gives me NO hope. And I am a Baseball fan. So I guess the Yankees make me smile. Although I HATE the spending. Wish they would build from Within and not pick off other teams stars. Now THERE'S a sport where they need a HARD CAP.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I didnt read through all these posts, but I just found out yesterday the Knicks dont have their first rounder this year.

I am not a big Basketball fan. Seems the score changes every two seconds and with my ADD I seem to walk away from the tv too much. Unless we are talking about Hockey where usually one point changes the ENTIRE game. But taken that all in to consideration, I am trying to become more a Knick Fan.

Now with that being said, here I am thinking this entire season, "cool, let them bomb and they MAY get the first overall". What could be better? Then I find out they dont even own the pick this year. It was like a kick in the balls! Thats like finding out at the last minute, the Rangers dont own the pick this year. It would be suicidal. Just sucks to see the Knicks cant pick first or second overall due to some ****** trade.

Friggin New York. Gives me NO hope. And I am a Baseball fan. So I guess the Yankees make me smile. Although I HATE the spending. Wish they would build from Within and not pick off other teams stars. Now THERE'S a sport where they need a HARD CAP.
Yeah. I agree that the knicks management has been atrocious. That they didn't lottery protect the pick is just nuts.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
A few teams past on him. No one knew exactly what he was. And you know what? The jury is still out.
He has not done much since November. Each month his shooting % has gone down.

Besides I think he really wanted Rubio or Curry. He should have traded up if he REALLY wanted them.
Only the Toronto Raptors passed up on Jennings.

Though his shooting percentage maybe down, he's still averaging about 16/17 points a game, and about 6 assists. Thats pretty good for a rookie.

Jordan Hill had high upside, but is clearly an experiment, something the Knicks just couldn't afford at this time.

I agree though that he wanted Curry or Rubio, and just should've traded up to get them.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

The reason we don't have our 1st round this yr is thanks to dumb*** Isiah. The Marbury trade which occurred back in 03 or 04 featured giving up our 2010 1st round pick UNPROTECTED!

Question is how the F does a trade from 2004 affect 2010??

I literary never seen anyone destroy a team this decade the way Layden and in particular Isiah did.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

The reason we don't have our 1st round this yr is thanks to dumb*** Isiah. The Marbury trade which occurred back in 03 or 04 featured giving up our 2010 1st round pick UNPROTECTED!

I literary never seen anyone destroy a team this decade the way Layden and in particular Isiah did. Maybe Al Davis gives him a run for his money

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 05:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post

I literary never seen anyone destroy a team this decade the way Layden and in particular Isiah did.
Honestly, it's really almost criminal. Those guys should be publicly flogged.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
What you say is exactly what I mean.

Playing with the little Debbies in Newark will be a huge breath of fresh air to see on TV much less in person I'd imagine.

But no way any top notch UFA will want to come there and stick it out for 2 years unless LeBron is signed, sealed, and delivered. And that is such a longshot it isn't worth discussing much.

I think Lebron stays in Cleveland. However if he does leave I think it's more likely he goes to Nets than Knicks. Standings will disagree right now but Nets are in better position future wise right now than Knicks. Nets have 2 really good young players in Davin Harris and Brooke Lopez plus couple solid players in CDR and Yi. The oldest one in that group is Harris and he is 26. There is a good chance that they land John Wall from Kentucky.

If Lebron leaves I think he goes to Miami or Nets.

Knicks' fiture on the other hand looks bleak unless they sign 1 or 2 of Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Joe Johnson/Amare. And also they cant improve through the draft because they are trading away their picks. As of right now:
Knicks 1st rounder in 2010 belongs to Utah
Knicks 1st rounder in 2011 can be swapped by Houston for their 1st rounder (unless it's 1st overall)
Knicks 2nd rounder in 2011 belongs to Lakers
Knicks 1st rounder in 2012 belongs to Houston (top 5 protected though)

That's bad management right there.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
Only the Toronto Raptors passed up on Jennings.

Though his shooting percentage maybe down, he's still averaging about 16/17 points a game, and about 6 assists. Thats pretty good for a rookie.

Jordan Hill had high upside, but is clearly an experiment, something the Knicks just couldn't afford at this time.

I agree though that he wanted Curry or Rubio, and just should've traded up to get them.
????

He was picked 10th by the Bucks. So nine teams passed on him and 1 of them (T'Wolves due to having back to back picks) passed on him twice.

Old
02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If James and Bosh don't come to NY, then they can sign a pair of free agents next year. Better than being killed with massive contracts for useless players that make Wade Redden look like Bobby Orr.

And 2011 free agency class is not too shabby either. Caron Butler, Carmelo Anthony, Troy Murphy, Tony Parker. Tim Duncan, David West and Amare Stoudamire could be part of it as well. Duncan and West can opt out early while Stoudamire has an option for next season.

So even if they miss out on Lebron/Wade/Joe Johnson/Amare/Bosh. I can see Knicks ending up with Joe Johnson or Chris Bosh.

Old
02-21-2010, 06:23 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
????

He was picked 10th by the Bucks. So nine teams passed on him and 1 of them (T'Wolves due to having back to back picks) passed on him twice.
I was talking about where the Knicks were positioned in the draft and after us.

At that point the guys the Knicks probably wanted, Davis, Rubio and maybe Flynn, were gone.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:34 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Here's what I see:

Bosh either goes to Miami or Chicago. I don't see him signing with the Knicks if Lebron isn't here.

No ones going to the Nets. I don't want hear about Brook Lopez or Devin Harris. They are Clippers in the metro area.

For Lebron it's either the Cavs or the Knicks. Don't see him going to Miami. That's Wade's team. and as great as it looks on paper, Wade and Lebron both handle the ball too much for it to work.

He's not going to Chicago either. They can only sign one max player. Will Lebron go there just to play with Rose? Mmm.....don't think so.
Plus he would be in Jordan's shadow you know.

If Wade goes anywhere it will be Chicago. He's from there. But I think he stays in Miami. Although I hear he's not very happy about them not making a big trade at the deadline.

Old
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM
darko

Quote:
Here's what I see:

Bosh either goes to Miami or Chicago. I don't see him signing with the Knicks if Lebron isn't here.

No ones going to the Nets. I don't want hear about Brook Lopez or Devin Harris. They are Clippers in the metro area.

For Lebron it's either the Cavs or the Knicks. Don't see him going to Miami. That's Wade's team. and as great as it looks on paper, Wade and Lebron both handle the ball too much for it to work.

He's not going to Chicago either. They can only sign one max player. Will Lebron go there just to play with Rose? Mmm.....don't think so.
Plus he would be in Jordan's shadow you know.

If Wade goes anywhere it will be Chicago. He's from there. But I think he stays in Miami. Although I hear he's not very happy about them not making a big trade at the deadline.

Very good points.

Miami needs to make a move to force Wade to stay. Getting Bosh should do the trick or Amare if he opts out. If they dont get anyone then Wade is gone, most likely to Chicago. If that's the case Bosh could go to New York which would be an excellent signing.

IMO Lebron isn't going anywhere. Then there's also Joe Johnson.

Old
02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mv01 View Post
You mean by like giving away two first round picks to clear the space for players who are not guaranteed to even sign here?

What if Bosh, James, or Wade don't sign? Then the Knicks are out two first round picks and no top player...then the Nets record will look like an all-star season
Law of averages says he will be able to sign at least one max contract player. There are only a handful of teams with significant cap room to sign a max contract. Out of all the teams who cleared space, NYC is the most attractive money and exposure wise.

Add any one of Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, or Boozer to the Knicks and they instantly become at least a 40-something win team. With the leftover money they can build a great bench.

Winning 40-something games means making the playoffs in the east. They would be drafting in the 15-20 range. Nothing to write home about. Plus, Jordan Hill isnt as good as any of the aforementioned guys.

Walsh had an impossible job. Hats off to him. Trading picks was the only way to get out of it.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 09:49 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I think Lebron stays in Cleveland. However if he does leave I think it's more likely he goes to Nets than Knicks. Standings will disagree right now but Nets are in better position future wise right now than Knicks. Nets have 2 really good young players in Davin Harris and Brooke Lopez plus couple solid players in CDR and Yi. The oldest one in that group is Harris and he is 26. There is a good chance that they land John Wall from Kentucky.

If Lebron leaves I think he goes to Miami or Nets.

Knicks' fiture on the other hand looks bleak unless they sign 1 or 2 of Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Joe Johnson/Amare. And also they cant improve through the draft because they are trading away their picks. As of right now:
Knicks 1st rounder in 2010 belongs to Utah
Knicks 1st rounder in 2011 can be swapped by Houston for their 1st rounder (unless it's 1st overall)
Knicks 2nd rounder in 2011 belongs to Lakers
Knicks 1st rounder in 2012 belongs to Houston (top 5 protected though)

That's bad management right there.
While the Nets will have 1 or 2 more better young players than the Knicks by the time next season rolls around, anyone who signs with the Knicks, including James, knows that next season will be just the start of things. I don't think any real Knicks fans are going to be thinking "Championship in 2011!". But the season after that will be when the expectations will be raised to that level.

Remember, while the situations were slightly different, the Celtics looked like dog **** before they got Garnett and Allen to go with Pierce and Rondo. The rest is history. If the Knicks as expected get 2 great players to go with Galinari and Chandler they will be almost there right off the bat.

Plus, you are talking about strictly on-the-court business. With the NBA, off the court matters a ton too. And the Nets off the court right now look ugly for the next couple of years. Come this summer any player like LeBron will not be "Oh, the Nets future looks a little brighter right now than the Knicks. I'll prefer them." They will be like "I have to play in lame-duck Newark for 2 years? Being the 2nd team in town?"

Old
02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
BwayBshirt

^^^And to add to the point, that is why I think that Rod Thorn (or Jerry Colangelo if you believe the rumors) will look smart down the road if they sit on the cap space they have for the next season or 2 and just be happy to be playing in a real city as opposed to the swamp. I just don't think they can come out of this upcoming offseason looking pretty other than their growing youth and high-round pick.