HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speed or Size

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Speed or Size

Just a thought guys. Watching these Stanley Cup Play-offs I had a very obvious revelation. All most all players (and the teams that have these players) who are having a great deal of sucsess are either BIG or FAST. Obviously you can't JUST be big and fast to dominate in this league (see Chad Kilger), but as long you have a nugget of talent to go with either speed, size or both - you got what it takes. Only the most brilliant players get by in this league with out one of those two most important of NHL attributes.

The reason I think this is even worth a post is because it is at this time of the year, when checking is tight and only strength or exceptional speed will make you stand out from the crowd, that those who are lacking, and those who are the great players in this league are made known. My concern is that there are certain players on our team - those who we are resting many of our hopes on - do not make the grade when the tempo and toughness increase...

...And if you hadn't gathered where I was going with this - yes, this is a Mike Ribeiro bashing thread! He can't create room for himself with speed or by fighting through checks. This makes him just about invisible (and useless). In fairness, the same goes for Dagenais (I don't consider him to have size because he doesn't use it). Perreault is the same, but one thing I'll say about that guy is that he's a small example of how being smart can save you (he really knows how to get himself into good scoring positions).

Anyways, this thread isn't in anyway inspired by Montreal's poor form in the last two games. I'm just saying that we need 2 scoring lines to be a threat in this league and I don't think little Ribs is going to do it for us. If we could get a big #2 center instead we should jump all over the opportunity (to me, if we want a slow midget at #2 we can just call up Corey Locke - in a year or two he could surely be doing the same crappy job)

Old
04-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I say speed but my girlfriend says size.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Mike8

Reactionary thread.

Ribeiro's taken time to develop. He's produced well on a consistent basis this regular season. Why would you presume he'd be an immediate hit in the playoffs when he's taken such time to develop to be a producting regular season player?

Ryder has taken time as well. He had a solid Game Two, but he struggled mightily for much of the first series as well as Game One in this series. It's normal to see young players struggle in the playoffs; that's part of the learning curve.

It's a cop-out to presume any player who doesn't fit into a specific mold cannot adapt and improve. Ribeiro's shown a willingness and desire to improve and he's done just that this entire season. He needs to be better, but so do a lot of players.

Old
04-26-2004, 11:44 PM
BBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Reactionary thread.

Ribeiro's taken time to develop. He's produced well on a consistent basis this regular season. Why would you presume he'd be an immediate hit in the playoffs when he's taken such time to develop to be a producting regular season player?

Ryder has taken time as well. He had a solid Game Two, but he struggled mightily for much of the first series as well as Game One in this series. It's normal to see young players struggle in the playoffs; that's part of the learning curve.

It's a cop-out to presume any player who doesn't fit into a specific mold cannot adapt and improve. Ribeiro's shown a willingness and desire to improve and he's done just that this entire season. He needs to be better, but so do a lot of players.
You right 2 rookies and ahler on 2line and they want them to produce
like veterant.
And i now a player that was not big or fast and if i remember he was call
the great one.
A great vision of the play and good pass can give him a good career and i am not
trying to say is the great one but is a lesser version of is style of play.
I can see him having 80p saison and whit another good winger whit grit
have good series.

Last edited by BBR: 04-26-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old
04-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Traitor8

We are building towards speed:

-Kostsitsyn
-Perezhogin
-Higgins
-Plekanec
-Koivu
-Zednik
-Bulis

Size:

-Urquhart
-Lapierrre
-Ward
-Our Defensemen

Personally, I like to have a good mix of both. Look at the Flyers...maybe a bit faster then them

Old
04-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Reactionary thread.

i am not a fan of ribiero(especially after after what he did) but i do think he has the ability to become very good. if he works on his lower body and gets stronger, he can be pretty good. he lacks "lightning speed" or size but so have a lot of great players in NHL history.

Old
04-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
i hope im not the only one who got it.

Old
04-27-2004, 12:22 AM
CHareth

Quote:
:lol :lol :lol

Old
04-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Habsfunk

Ribeiro still needs to get a lot stronger. He put in a great effort last game but he just can't beat most players for the puck. I saw him try to throw a couple hits but both times he just bounced off the guy and fell to the ice. Ribs has amazing skill but he really needs to add some muscle in order to compete when it counts.

Old
04-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
:lol :lol :lol

Old
04-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine
...And if you hadn't gathered where I was going with this - yes, this is a Mike Ribeiro bashing thread! He can't create room for himself with speed or by fighting through checks. This makes him just about invisible (and useless). In fairness, the same goes for Dagenais (I don't consider him to have size because he doesn't use it). Perreault is the same, but one thing I'll say about that guy is that he's a small example of how being smart can save you (he really knows how to get himself into good scoring positions).
This paragraph makes me wonder... why are you willing to cut slack to Perreault but not to Ribeiro? Ribeiro is not exactly deadwood compared to Perreault, a veteran of many years. I think he deserves at least as much leeway from you.

Old
04-27-2004, 01:28 AM
tinyzombies

What I've noticed is that the ice tends to be bad at this time of year, so teams that are solid within their system, have a good goalie and have speed to take advantage of turnovers tend to do well.

Teams that are big and have defenseman who are solid with the puck and get it deep also do well.

I think there are many types of teams/systems that can succeed. There are many factors, not just the types of players you have. You need a good coach too.

I'd like to see us build a puck-possession team like Detroit. I think that's the way we've been headed by picking up only guys with good hands, speed/skill and character.

I can't wait to see Ribeiro in three years now. I never liked him, but he's grown on me. The kid has guts and tons of skill!

...my gf says size... I can't get over that one...

Old
04-27-2004, 03:10 AM
tritone

Quote:
I thought size didn't matter
All these I believed her . Oh the humanity

Old
04-27-2004, 05:59 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
I thought size didn't matter
All these I believed her . Oh the humanity
You have a small wiener?

sorry man you set up yourself up so easily for that one, no harm meant.

About the thread, I am going to agree with the poster who said that a balance of the two is the most important. I think a big defense is good to have, and a fast forwards core. Like San Jose. Speaing of which, are these guys for real? 3-0 against Colorado, Respect.

Closed Thread