HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
UtahBs
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Home dressing? Ha, we had a Swede kid on our team, at camp he came to the rink dressed. It was pretty much awesome.

Old
02-03-2011, 08:15 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndAGame View Post
No, I really don't care what people wear. But I am a trash-talker, that's just how I am. And if someone is wearing something I think is stupid, I'm gonna let them know. It's better than skating up to them and telling "yo momma" jokes.

And you know, I never thought that I was the one being screwed with...

Yeah man, all those penalties I get the other team to take for coming after me when I won't shut up really ****s with my head. I should really cut it out.
That guy said he doesn't play hockey. And it's pretty obvious. He really doesn't get it

Old
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Skrudland2Lomakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
That guy said he doesn't play hockey. And it's pretty obvious. He really doesn't get it
Yeah sorry I find your Joan River "What Not to Wear on the Ice" spiel a bit stupid. Sorry I've played just about every sport but hockey, the concept of chirping is not unique. From what I can gather from this thread is it is done in hockey by the exact same people it's done by in other sports, you think you're doing a service to the game or harping on jokes on the ice, meanwhile all the other players are snickering at you. I don't know what's funnier someone who thinks he's Alex Ovechkin of a rec league, or someone who thinks he's the Sean Avery of a rec league. A beer league instigator? What a joke, do you also call for 3 second violations while playing basketball at the rec? You're not in the league, stop taking everything so seriously.

Old
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
FiveAndAGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrudland2Lomakin View Post
Yeah sorry I find your Joan River "What Not to Wear on the Ice" spiel a bit stupid. Sorry I've played just about every sport but hockey, the concept of chirping is not unique. From what I can gather from this thread is it is done in hockey by the exact same people it's done by in other sports, you think you're doing a service to the game or harping on jokes on the ice, meanwhile all the other players are snickering at you. I don't know what's funnier someone who thinks he's Alex Ovechkin of a rec league, or someone who thinks he's the Sean Avery of a rec league. A beer league instigator? What a joke, do you also call for 3 second violations while playing basketball at the rec? You're not in the league, stop taking everything so seriously.
At any point have I told people what not to wear? I don't think so... But if you are going to sit there and tell me certain pieces of equipment or certain styles don't look stupid or overly flashy, then you are lying. I just don't see why I should keep my mouth shut about it. If I think something you have looks stupid I'm gonna let you know. And I will let you know every chance I get until you prove to me that you deserve to wear it. Don't show up with all white equipment and the newest Warrior stick with zero playing ability and expect everyone to keep quiet about it. But if Alex Ovechkin DID happen to show up with his mirrored visor and his super-tucked jersey, I would keep my mouth shut because he's way better than I could even dream of being.

And yeah, I'm sure they snicker at me while they sit in the box for taking a swing at me and I'm out there scoring power-play goals. And I do what it takes to win. I don't care if I'm in the NHL or not, I want to win. I do not enjoy losing, and as long as what I'm doing works I will keep doing it.

Old
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

There is no need for a mirrored visor. You don't need one, it doesn't help you, you just look like a total dick.

everything else is whatever...

Old
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Still never seen guys get chirped for pretty much anything gear related. Usually it's a cheap shot or late hit that will start the merry-go-round.

That white cleats thing reminds me of how guys would bring sneaky pete pool cues in to hustle rather than a fancy cue...but in hockey you're going to know in ten seconds who the ringers are. Usually I can tell the guys who show up with matching $200 sticks (especially pro stocks or Drury curves) and visors are the ones to watch.

Old
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
There is no need for a mirrored visor. You don't need one, it doesn't help you, you just look like a total dick.

Funny thing happened recently at open hockey. A guy was playing with a mirrored visor. After 20 minutes he says. "Damn, I can't see a thing through this f***in' visor", and he left. I guess it really doesn't help!

Old
02-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Pierre Gotye

Honestly, I don't think most guys care what gear you wear.

I've seen guys who wear gear that looks like it was made in the 1970's and guys who wear nothing but all new stuff.

One thing that's stood out to me though is there is a guy who wears pink gloves and a guy who wears rainbow colored gloves and that just looks dumb.

As far as tinted visors or colored laces though I don't think most people care.

Old
02-05-2011, 05:29 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Funny thing happened recently at open hockey. A guy was playing with a mirrored visor. After 20 minutes he says. "Damn, I can't see a thing through this f***in' visor", and he left. I guess it really doesn't help!
Tinted visors are pretty dumb and probably meant for those that play outdoors. A guy I know decided to start wearing one after I told him the best way to defend against against him or other players on offense was to look at their eyes.

I think he thinks that the tinted visor is covering his eyes, but little does he know I can still tell where he is going because of where his head is looking.

Old
02-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Turk February*

Fluorescent laces:

Old
02-06-2011, 11:11 AM
takumi111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
Fluorescent laces:
i'm digging the amateur Russian flag paint job on the holders

Old
02-06-2011, 12:17 PM
rinkrat22

even if that guy dangled me out of my jock I'd still talk **** to him

Old
02-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Caged2920

I usually never chirp because of equipment, it was always do to cheap shots, or mouth pieces...

Old
02-07-2011, 12:36 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged2920 View Post
I usually never chirp because of equipment, it was always do to cheap shots, or mouth pieces...
I'm usually too busy to notice what other guys are wearing. I think the only thing that sticks out ot me is incredibly dirty jerseys (white jerseys that are now light brown) or cages that are basically rusty bars. A new white jersey doesn't cost that much nor does washing it after every game. A little hygiene goes a long way. Rusty cages I find disgusting. Again, a cage doesn't cost that much and lasts for a long time. If you have a rust issue and it won't come off with WD-40 it's time to replace it before a flake comes off during play and ends up in your mouth.

Old
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post

Isn't the purpose of the mirror to keep people from watching your eyes to see where you are looking to pass/shoot?

Old
02-07-2011, 02:32 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Isn't the purpose of the mirror to keep people from watching your eyes to see where you are looking to pass/shoot?
if you're playing the right way, you should rarely ever be looking at a players head let alone his eyes. if you're that close that you can see another players eyes, and you are in fact looking at them, chances are he's likely already on his way around you.

Old
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
PlayersCoach

"Chirping gear" is probably the best way to show you're insecure about your own skill level (and in turn, likely yourself as a person).

Anyone that has enough time or energy to chirp another player's gear in a rec league probably spends way too much of their own time worrying about what THEY look like on the ice.

Old
02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersCoach View Post
"Chirping gear" is probably the best way to show you're insecure about your own skill level (and in turn, likely yourself as a person).

Anyone that has enough time or energy to chirp another player's gear in a rec league probably spends way too much of their own time worrying about what THEY look like on the ice.
How is a little chipring show your insecurity?

Sometimes it just makes a game entertaining to subtley prod at a guy for no real reason - like something that they're wearing. Some people can't handle it. This one team we used to play against, there was one guy who one of our players hit into the boards and got a penalty. As this guy was getting up I asked if he was ok and just non chalantly mentioned, "It's too bad you can't skate. The hit wouldn't have been so bad if you could skate". (He wasn't really a bad skater at all, especially for the level of competition). Throughout the game whenever he went down or if he happened to draw a penalty I'd just mention to him that it was too bad he couldn't skate.

The next time we played them, we recognized it was the same guy, "Hey, 15, are you the guy who can't skate?". He was not amused. He ended up taking a few dumb penalties and we blew his team out easily (the first game had been very close).

We didn't chirp him for any gear or anything like that but it wasn't malicious. Most people can take that sort of thing in stride and laugh it off. I don't think we were being malicious or insecure about ourselves. It's just hockey. SOMETIMES (I'm generally quite quiet on the ice), these sorts of things are just entertaining.

Old
02-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

If someone chirps me because of what I wear I just chirp their face.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
hattrick3518

vCash: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
If someone chirps me because of what I wear I just chirp their face.
To which I'll respond with a nice stinky face wash.

Old
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
takumi111

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrick3518 View Post
To which I'll respond with a nice stinky face wash.
keep your head up

Old
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi111 View Post
keep your head up
Good ol' scrum, I'm in!

Old
02-10-2011, 02:35 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Talking about chirping will get you chirped!

Old
02-24-2011, 11:20 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger
I'd like to see a concrete definition on the 'chirpable numbers' list. Mine would personally be:

1 (goalies excepted)

And that's it
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndAGame View Post
Since the lockout, #8 and #87 are ripe for chirping as well. Its unfortunate for people who wear those numbers with ACTUAL reason, because anyone who wears them is automatically wearing it because they "love Crosby/Ovechkin." I think #66 is also pretty open for chirping.
0/00 is chirpable
1 is debatable. If it's a goalie playing out and is using his goalie jersey, then I say no.
69 is "that guy", definitely chirpable.
66 and 99 are too. Probably don't need to explain why.
8 is a low enough number that has been issued 1000 times over. Doesn't matter if it's now AO's number, it's been probably worn by plenty of ppl before he played with the Caps.
Being that I live near Pittsburgh, I'd like to add #68 to the list. Usually the only thing mini-Jagr at the rink has in common with real Jagr is that hideous mullet.

Old
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
macgyverthatshiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
In a beginner league, we don't chirp about anybody else's equipment

except the guy wearing these.

HAHAHA, WTF?? those look like car racing shoes with blades on them. Anyways, the only thing that I chirp at is the guy who shows up in their favorite NHL team gear, from head to toe, including the RBK Edge socks. Pro NHL team helmet stickers are kind of lame too, in my opinion. But I won't deliberately be mean to anyone on the ice, as we are all hockey players.

Closed Thread