HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I don't see why people chirp other people's gear in beer leagues/other non-competitive leagues.

I won't chirp the guy wearing a tinted visor, but if he plays like a ****** when other people are trying to have fun, then I go for it.

Otherwise I don't see the problem with wearing #0,00,1,8,66,68,69,99, having mismatched neon skate laces, somebody with a really expensive stick, nice equipment or whatever.

Would anybody like to explain to me why wearing #99, expensive gear, colored visors are a big deal and why they do get chirped? If that person is a ******, I could understand, but again otherwise I am not sure why it is so wrong.

Old
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
FiveAndAGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I don't see why people chirp other people's gear in beer leagues/other non-competitive leagues.

I won't chirp the guy wearing a tinted visor, but if he plays like a ****** when other people are trying to have fun, then I go for it.

Otherwise I don't see the problem with wearing #0,00,1,8,66,68,69,99, having mismatched neon skate laces, somebody with a really expensive stick, nice equipment or whatever.

Would anybody like to explain to me why wearing #99, expensive gear, colored visors are a big deal and why they do get chirped? If that person is a ******, I could understand, but again otherwise I am not sure why it is so wrong.
Alright, I'll try to go in order here.

I do it because I think it's funny, and if I can make someone mad and take a stupid penalty, then that is a definite plus.

Not gonna lie, most of the people that I play with who wear crazy visors or show up decked out in white, play like ***holes and think they are the next coming of Gretzky or something. I do chirp my friends/opponents that I am friendly with for a laugh.

I've never really understood the problem with numbers to be honest. Whenever I see people who wear 69, I can't help but chuckle. As for 0, 1, 30, etc(aka goalie numbers)being worn by forwards, always looks a little out of place but I've never really seen someone's number and gone "OOOOO that guys gonna get it..." But if someone is trying to play like a superstar and being Mr. Dangles out there while wearing 8 and a mirrored visor, there will definitely be some Ovechkin jokes thrown his way. And as for other pieces of equipment(laces, expensive gear, etc) like I have said in previous posts, it's just easy ammunition for chirping. I'll talk trash to any player on the rink, but if they show up with a neon yellow lace on one skate, a neon green lace on the other, flames on his skates, a mirrored visor, and all-white gear, it's just more fuel in the chirping fire.

Old
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
macgyverthatshiz

I saw a guy playing last night at the local rink with white Cascade CSX helmet with a fishbowl. I wasn't sure if he was there to play hockey or got ejected from the space shuttle. I get it, those helmets are good for concussions so they say, but man those helmets are ugly. I didn't chirp, but we definitely had some laughs to ourselves.

Old
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Anthrax Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
He's not a bad guy or anything. He just really wants to be Ovechkin. And I'm sure in his mind, he is! And that's all that really matters, right?
Has he ever won a Stanley Cup or Olympic gold? If not, he's more like Ovechkin than he realizes.

Old
03-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Hacker10

Heh, it finally happened

This past Monday I was leaving the rink with a group of friends after a game, and the group that plays after us was out on the ice.

I'm checking out the game as I'm walk to the door, and sure enough, there is a guy with a tinted visor, white skates, and the Ovi-esque skate-lace pants belt hanging out.

I have to say, after reading this thread, I found it to be pretty funny when I saw the guy on the ice.

Old
03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
macgyverthatshiz

Anti Duster = Bauer 4500 W/ clear Oakley Pro Straight visor, Bauer Straight cut visor or CCM480 cage

Duster= Bauer 8500 with a mirrored visor

Old
03-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Not Threadworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I never heard anybody get chirped for colored helmets. There's even a guy I know with one of those stupid red x-ray helmets and he never gets chirped. The only time I've ever chirped anybody for the color of their helmet was when a guy on the black team in my league had black everything except for a bright red helmet, looked pretty funny.
Sounds like me- when I play goalie, everything is black except for my white blocker! Hey, why get a new one if the old one works fine? Why should red helmet guy get a new one for a beer league team?\

Has anybody considered that a lot of people get second hand gear and have to take what the get? My goalie stuff matches (somewhat), but when I play out, I have just about every colour possible somewhere on me.... including a bright red helmet .

I dont fault people for what they choose to wear... it seems childish, especially in pick up games

Mirrored visors though

Old
03-19-2011, 08:19 PM
theguru

white gloves, wheel/standing bags, terrible buckets, buckets with loads of stickers, ear guards...just to name a few.

Old
03-19-2011, 08:56 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguru View Post
white gloves, wheel/standing bags, terrible buckets, buckets with loads of stickers, ear guards...just to name a few.
Ear guards? Really? 90% of people I play with still have them on. What's the point of taking them off?

Old
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
theguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
Ear guards? Really? 90% of people I play with still have them on. What's the point of taking them off?
improved hearing for one??? don't look like a damn timbit out there.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
mbeam

Quote:
improved hearing for one??? don't look like a damn timbit out there.
If you can't hear with a piece of plastic that has a giant hole in it in front of your ears then... well... you must have atrocious hearing I guess.

I find no difference in hearing with or without them, so may as well keep them in and not risk getting smoked in the side of the head with a puck.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:28 PM
theguru

Quote:
If you can't hear with a piece of plastic that has a giant hole in it in front of your ears then... well... you must have atrocious hearing I guess.

I find no difference in hearing with or without them, so may as well keep them in and not risk getting smoked in the side of the head with a puck.
you keep rocking the ear guards there kid...hope you don't get thunder clapped.

Old
03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Anthony*

the ear guards thing is ********

thats like chirping guys who wear visors or a full cage

Old
03-19-2011, 10:32 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Lol. Sorry, just not ONCE have I ever seen anyone get chirped for NOT wearing modded gear!

Old
03-19-2011, 10:44 PM
takumi111

Quote:

Old
03-19-2011, 11:33 PM
theguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
the ear guards thing is ********

thats like chirping guys who wear visors or a full cage
oh right, this type of chirping never happens??? anyone who wears those ear things you can pretty much tell just bought their bucket at canadian tire. does your dad tie up your skates too?

riddle me this...why don't pros wear the ear flaps?

Old
03-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Anthony*

Old
03-19-2011, 11:47 PM
mbeam

Quote:
oh right, this type of chirping never happens??? anyone who wears those ear things you can pretty much tell just bought their bucket at canadian tire. does your dad tie up your skates too?

riddle me this...why don't pros wear the ear flaps?
Canadian Tire? Every single helmet comes with ear guards. And see Anthony's post. Some pros do wear them.

What other stock equipment must I modify to make sure I'm not chirped by you? Take a few pads out of my pants? I'll remove the palms of my gloves. Or maybe I'll take the shoulder flaps off of my chest protector. This is just nonsense...

Old
03-19-2011, 11:51 PM
theguru

Quote:
Canadian Tire? Every single helmet comes with ear guards. And see Anthony's post. Some pros do wear them.

What other stock equipment must I modify to make sure I'm not chirped by you? Take a few pads out of my pants? I'll remove the palms of my gloves. Or maybe I'll take the shoulder flaps off of my chest protector. This is just nonsense...
maybe some pros do, but not very many...shoulder pads are also not worn by real hockey players while playing in non-contact leagues.

Old
03-19-2011, 11:53 PM
mbeam

Quote:
maybe some pros do, but not very many...shoulder pads are also not worn by real hockey players while playing in non-contact leagues.
Yeah, not very many. That's true. And I don't usually wear the shoulder pads either, I was just trying to be a smart-ass.

Old
03-20-2011, 12:29 AM
LarryO

Quote:
I guess not everyone is a conformist (sheep) like you.

Old
03-20-2011, 08:33 AM
r3cc0s

I know people who've played without and had taken a zinger and had a bleedy lobe.
I don't find it to reduce the ability to hear at all, nor make my helmet any warmer, so I'll leave them on thank you.

All the WHL players have to keep those and their visor's on, and so will I.

As for shoulder pads, I typically don't in a game of shinny, but in my mens league, depending on the grudge we have with the opposition...
usually its my 5030's and my pair of CCM tacks 552s
or my full on Jofa 8800's and my Tackla 9000 w/ huge spine and belly protectors, cause yes there is Contact in non-contact and cross checking that can't be seen.

Old
03-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Rush22*

Quote:
I don't wear ear-gaurds but I can tell you're either a serious bender or a complete tool. There literally is no disadvantage to keeping your ear guards on, I take them off simply because of comfort.

Also you don't wear shoulder pads? You must play in a low division league then. Where I play there is no checking but plenty of body contact, there is at least 1 time a game I drive the net hard and get tripped into the boards shoulder first at full speed.

Keep gooning up the C league bender.

Old
03-20-2011, 03:43 PM
kingscourt26

The old garters that make you look like a burlesque dancer in the locker room always gets comments. Wear jock shorts people.

As far as the cage, I played college hockey which was really competitive and we had to wear cages.

Old
03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
mhkehoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
The old garters that make you look like a burlesque dancer in the locker room always gets comments. Wear jock shorts people.

As far as the cage, I played college hockey which was really competitive and we had to wear cages.
Maybe it is just the jock shorts I had at the time, but the velco on mine would often lose the socks. The garter I wore beforehand never let them slip down.

My current compression jock doesn't have the velcro on it, so I just tuck the socks under the bottom of the compression and do a quick wrap of tape.

And I play with cage and ear guards. No reason not to play with them if they don't take away from comfort. I've had the ear guard take one good hit, and while it did bend a bit and touch my ear, no damage done.

Cage has saved me countless times. I am part of the generation that grew up with cages, so I am very used to them at this point, and some of the cages out there are amazingly good (I am using the Bauer 9900 right now). Can't trust people to be as careful as you and accidents happen, whether that is a missed lifted stick or deflected puck.

Closed Thread