HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
  #801
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
chirping gear itself is stupid. You should chirp to get the other guy pissed off and off his game. How is saying "Hey man nice white gloves. HAHA" going to piss a guy off he bought those gloves to get you off your game.

Tell him his sister was to tight last night or something. The best chirp I have found is when a guy is complaining about a penalty he just got to the ref just skate by and tell him to shutup and get in the box. For some reason this sends guys through the roof I can normally hoax them in to taking another or come out of the box and take a stupid slashing penalty or something. Chirping gear is stupid.
That does always work the best because the guy is already so riled up. Or tell him that it's just rec hockey and he'll get more pissed and embarrassed. But I've never really seen the "I banged your mom/sister/wife" jokes phase anyone in the slightest. That stuff is old and tired and obvious. A simple "nice gloves" to a guy wearing white gloves is far more effective, in my experience at least.

There was one game where the chirp "too bad you can't skate" (he was a pretty decent skater) threw a guy off the deep end. My teammate hit him a bit in the corner and he fell down, I went over to make sure he was OK, he said he was, and I said, "it's too bad you can't skate or else you wouldn't have gone down so hard". That seemed to confuse him and rile him up a little. Then every stoppage or chance I got or if he fell somewhere, I'd nonchalantly mention to him what a shame it was that he couldn't skate. It completely took him off the game and he was gunning for me the whole night. It was a good time.

mbeam is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
  #802
Rink Bum
Registered User
 
Rink Bum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Then there are the newer players who will by default have all new gear, but are not very good like me.

I did splurge on a good helmet and have 2 pairs of expensive skates, but I didn't buy them to show off; i work hard and can afford high end skates and know that there is a big difference between a $200 pair and a $600 pair. If someone chirps me for not being Ovechkin while wearing top of the line skates, they can kiss my a$$....


Upgraded gear with new $600 skates, $150 helmet, and $150 Tackla pants. My mentality is "you get what you pay for" within reason, and I damn well want protection in case I get hit with a puck or fall on my ass! I play D most of the time.

Plus, I'm not growing anymore except maybe my waistline and belly. So if my gear can last me five years at least then to me it is money well spent to let me continually play beyond that.

Rink Bum is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
  #803
Squidriss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Then there are the newer players who will by default have all new gear, but are not very good like me.

I did splurge on a good helmet and have 2 pairs of expensive skates, but I didn't buy them to show off; i work hard and can afford high end skates and know that there is a big difference between a $200 pair and a $600 pair. If someone chirps me for not being Ovechkin while wearing top of the line skates, they can kiss my a$$....
Never thought about it that way. Fair enough.

Squidriss is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
  #804
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
We had a tinted/ mirrored visor guy on our team but he picked it up because it was on clearance in the shop. We called him Robocop when he wore it but it was all in good fun. He wasnt a flashy type of player. I think some of you guys over think these things at times, I see white glove and skates on clearance a lot, some guys are just out for a good deal and dont care what they look like.

Wildturkey12 is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
  #805
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
There was one game where the chirp "too bad you can't skate" (he was a pretty decent skater) threw a guy off the deep end. My teammate hit him a bit in the corner and he fell down, I went over to make sure he was OK, he said he was, and I said, "it's too bad you can't skate or else you wouldn't have gone down so hard". That seemed to confuse him and rile him up a little. Then every stoppage or chance I got or if he fell somewhere, I'd nonchalantly mention to him what a shame it was that he couldn't skate. It completely took him off the game and he was gunning for me the whole night. It was a good time.
Haha - I'm known to tell everyone (especially their best players) on the other team they suck, from the bench. It's such a stupid comment but you know they keep thinking about it. I'm always getting the evil eye. For some reason it seems to throw people off a bit at times, too. I guess they want to be able to come back with a goal and talk some **** back so hard that they can't get anything going. I get dirty looks throughout the games when I do this but only one person has ever come back and said anything. He set up a goal and dedicated it to me "cuz you said I sucked!"

Ozz is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
  #806
OpenIceHit42
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 734
vCash: 500
Played against a guy the other night that was wearing a half shield (no big deal right? wait for it..) and a football style chin cup..



Weirdest thing I've ever seen.

OpenIceHit42 is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
  #807
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Played against a guy the other night that was wearing a half shield (no big deal right? wait for it..) and a football style chin cup..



Weirdest thing I've ever seen.
that is just frigin awesome!

rinkrat22 is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 01:40 PM
  #808
mbeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Haha - I'm known to tell everyone (especially their best players) on the other team they suck, from the bench. It's such a stupid comment but you know they keep thinking about it. I'm always getting the evil eye. For some reason it seems to throw people off a bit at times, too. I guess they want to be able to come back with a goal and talk some **** back so hard that they can't get anything going. I get dirty looks throughout the games when I do this but only one person has ever come back and said anything. He set up a goal and dedicated it to me "cuz you said I sucked!"
Haha. Everyone wants to be Ovechkin pointing at Crosby in the box .

mbeam is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
  #809
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 45,278
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I'm sorry, wut? Nobody on the team had any tape in their bag? Did he think about maybe playing without socks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Yeah that's strange. I usually even have extra socks with me. Hell, I even loaned a kid a helmet once when he forgot his.
Yeah, any number of times I have lent out tape, jerseys, even pads.

I don't know what that guy's story was. Maybe all the guys on his team were just jerks

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
02-22-2012, 04:37 PM
  #810
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
Last year I forgot my jerseys. Luckily the team that played before us was our "affiliate" in the lower division so I just had to change the number on the roster. Nice coincidence.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 06:33 PM
  #811
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink Bum View Post


Upgraded gear with new $600 skates, $150 helmet, and $150 Tackla pants. My mentality is "you get what you pay for" within reason, and I damn well want protection in case I get hit with a puck or fall on my ass! I play D most of the time.

Plus, I'm not growing anymore except maybe my waistline and belly. So if my gear can last me five years at least then to me it is money well spent to let me continually play beyond that.
Agreed, and then some.

I assume you have the Tacklas 9000s, how do you like them? I have the 2440s and might upgrade to them.

My other gear (stick, shoulder/knee/elbow pads) are all average, but those 3 pieces (helmet, skates and pants to an extent) are critical in protecting yourself and being able to get up the next morning functional at work.

I've seen too many people lose an edge and slide headfirst into the boards, and then not seen them play again for long periods of time. It's not like they vanish, they're injured and would not have been had they spent a bit more on better protection.

I took a puck on my foot last week causing a cut that bled for 2 days - I can only imagine how it would have felt with cheaper ice skates (broken foot, perhaps?).


Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 02-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.
nystromshairstylist is online now  
Old
02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
  #812
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
9000's are awesome and worth every penny.

I've never gone head first and haven't really seen anyone get "saved" by a helmet personally. And then I saw my captain get concussed to the point he had no idea where he was or what was going on the rest of the day and was somehow perfectly fine a week later.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 09:10 PM
  #813
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,249
vCash: 500
I've always just given folks a nice bump and extra stick check when they get lippy or cop an attitude. I recall a lady last year who was wearing makeup (!) during the game and screeching about anyone who came near her, so I timed a couple nice bumps and stole the puck from her and she tried to give me a flying elbow and sat for 10 minutes. Then came back and I brushed her while skating past and she freaked out and got tossed for screaming at the ref.

Good times.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
  #814
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
9000's are awesome and worth every penny.

I've never gone head first and haven't really seen anyone get "saved" by a helmet personally. And then I saw my captain get concussed to the point he had no idea where he was or what was going on the rest of the day and was somehow perfectly fine a week later.
Hey Jarick. Do you know how the 9000s compare to the 2440s (lighter, heavier, more protection, etc.)?

nystromshairstylist is online now  
Old
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM
  #815
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Clarkington III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,941
vCash: 500
I saw the yellow visor for the first time today at pickup. Initially, I had negative thoughts (not chirp level) in mind but then I released quickly he was the only competent D partner I would have for an hour so that faded quickly.

Part of the reason I love playing hockey is the customization level of what you wear. Obviously, some things are over the top, but for the most part, who cares?

The only things that should be chirped are attitudes and poor chirping.

Clarkington III is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 04:27 AM
  #816
Rink Bum
Registered User
 
Rink Bum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post

I assume you have the Tacklas 9000s, how do you like them? I have the 2440s and might upgrade to them.

I took a puck on my foot last week causing a cut that bled for 2 days - I can only imagine how it would have felt with cheaper ice skates (broken foot, perhaps?).
I picked up the Tackla 5000 Pros as they were on clearance and used a coupon to get a further 20% off....so it worked out to $120 before taxes. Was told at the hockey store that Tacklas will now be sold under the Eagle brand name instead. Been playing in them for about five months and taken a few spills and pucks - so far so good! They are nice fitting around the waist with great protection.

Hope your foot gets better! I can say that so far I am glad I invested the money into my skates - awesome protection and very light. I was coming from cheap Mission skates that I got on clearance when I started playing about four/five years ago.

Rink Bum is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 05:59 AM
  #817
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
I don't chirp a lot but it drives me nuts seeing all these crappy players wearing $800 Grafs. Honestly...you can't skate man, are the Grafs really needed? I played high levels my entire life and the most expensive skates I've ever owned are the one's I own now. $250 Eastons. I saw a guy last week at the rec league I'm in wearing the most expensive Grafs around and he was falling every other stride. Is this a superficial thing or do people really think it will make them better? Same goes with guys who buy the most expensive sticks...my feathered saucer pass is harder then your wrist shot/slap shot man, why not just buy a cheap Sher-wood? Also, I'm getting a tinted visor, I need it for medical reasons. I have sight problems and basically my eyes allow too much light in so you can only imagine how much it burns my eyes being somewhere as bright as the rink. I would never get a mirrored visor, wouldn't be caught dead wearing one.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 06:01 AM
  #818
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink Bum View Post
I picked up the Tackla 5000 Pros as they were on clearance and used a coupon to get a further 20% off....so it worked out to $120 before taxes. Was told at the hockey store that Tacklas will now be sold under the Eagle brand name instead. Been playing in them for about five months and taken a few spills and pucks - so far so good! They are nice fitting around the waist with great protection.

Hope your foot gets better! I can say that so far I am glad I invested the money into my skates - awesome protection and very light. I was coming from cheap Mission skates that I got on clearance when I started playing about four/five years ago.
Tacklas are the best pants money can buy. I've been rocking the same one's since I was about 16, so going on 9 years now. Very durable and comfortable. I bought new pants last year, tried them and took them back.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 06:44 AM
  #819
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I don't chirp a lot but it drives me nuts seeing all these crappy players wearing $800 Grafs. Honestly...you can't skate man, are the Grafs really needed?
I was originally attracted as a noob to Grafs for two reasons: they are not made in China, and the comfort level was supposedly above any other brand's. That they are made in Canada - a fave country of mine - is even better.

After almost 2 years of playing, I've achieved a solid D4-level, and while I'll never get a lot better, am of an age and place in life where I've accomplished a level of success where I can afford the top-end skates. Am I "rich"? No, but compared to a $60,000 Range Rover, a $600 pair of skates is peanuts.

I played competitive basketball for over 20 years, and admit that the best players on the court often had $20 k-mart sneakers combined with $5 shorts off the clearance rack, but no one really chirped the scrubs who played wearing Air Nikes and couldn't make a layup, I guess hoops is different since there is less gear overall, and that the chatter on the court is more over-the-top silly than it seems to be in hockey. Just something for me to adjust to.

Quote:
I played high levels my entire life and the most expensive skates I've ever owned are the one's I own now. $250 Eastons. I saw a guy last week at the rec league I'm in wearing the most expensive Grafs around and he was falling every other stride.
If he sucked that bad, than yes, he probably should have gotten lower end skates - unless he was a really good athlete, who had the raw ability to grow into the skates over time.

Quote:
Is this a superficial thing or do people really think it will make them better?
As I said, could be a protection issue - higher end skates protect better, someone like me who has a weaker ankle due to a long-ago break playing hoops might medically need the lightest pair possible, etc., making an assumption by ripping on them takes on a lot of risk.

Quote:
Same goes with guys who buy the most expensive sticks...my feathered saucer pass is harder then your wrist shot/slap shot man, why not just buy a cheap Sher-wood?
This i especially agree with, especially since a noob will have a much easier time catching passes with a lower-end, heavier stick than an S19. I've been using a mid-range X40 for over a year, and it is perfect for me.

Quote:
Also, I'm getting a tinted visor, I need it for medical reasons. I have sight problems and basically my eyes allow too much light in so you can only imagine how much it burns my eyes being somewhere as bright as the rink.
Interesting, I get migraines from too much light as well (I have to keep my LCD monitor VERY dim - miss my CRT...) and the rink is one of those places that if I am not fully rested before playing, have a tough time adjusting when stepping on the ice. I wonder if this is a common problem.

nystromshairstylist is online now  
Old
02-23-2012, 06:48 AM
  #820
nystromshairstylist
Fire Capuano
 
nystromshairstylist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SR Hadden's plane
Country: Barbados
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Tacklas are the best pants money can buy. I've been rocking the same one's since I was about 16, so going on 9 years now. Very durable and comfortable. I bought new pants last year, tried them and took them back.
I noticed that Tackla offers some 5-7 different models, much more than the 2 offered at most hockey stores, with their home website (in Finland) listing them all.

I remember reading that some of the lower-end models are made in Thailand, while the higher end ones are made elsewhere, with a significant quality gap between them.

Have you tried out different recent tacklas to see how their line is?

nystromshairstylist is online now  
Old
02-23-2012, 07:19 AM
  #821
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I was originally attracted as a noob to Grafs for two reasons: they are not made in China, and the comfort level was supposedly above any other brand's. That they are made in Canada - a fave country of mine - is even better.

After almost 2 years of playing, I've achieved a solid D4-level, and while I'll never get a lot better, am of an age and place in life where I've accomplished a level of success where I can afford the top-end skates. Am I "rich"? No, but compared to a $60,000 Range Rover, a $600 pair of skates is peanuts.

I played competitive basketball for over 20 years, and admit that the best players on the court often had $20 k-mart sneakers combined with $5 shorts off the clearance rack, but no one really chirped the scrubs who played wearing Air Nikes and couldn't make a layup, I guess hoops is different since there is less gear overall, and that the chatter on the court is more over-the-top silly than it seems to be in hockey. Just something for me to adjust to.



If he sucked that bad, than yes, he probably should have gotten lower end skates - unless he was a really good athlete, who had the raw ability to grow into the skates over time.



As I said, could be a protection issue - higher end skates protect better, someone like me who has a weaker ankle due to a long-ago break playing hoops might medically need the lightest pair possible, etc., making an assumption by ripping on them takes on a lot of risk.



This i especially agree with, especially since a noob will have a much easier time catching passes with a lower-end, heavier stick than an S19. I've been using a mid-range X40 for over a year, and it is perfect for me.



Interesting, I get migraines from too much light as well (I have to keep my LCD monitor VERY dim - miss my CRT...) and the rink is one of those places that if I am not fully rested before playing, have a tough time adjusting when stepping on the ice. I wonder if this is a common problem.
I don't think I'll ever understand why bad players buy such expensive equipment in any sport really. I was a gold pro/teacher for 5 years and I saw the same thing I see in hockey, guys clearly go out and just buy the most expensive stuff they can get their hands on and I don't buy into the whole protection theory. As far as I'm concerned the only thing that's going to really make a difference is the shoe goo some guys use or those new plastic guards NHL players are using and those guys are blocking Zdeno Chara's shots, not some beer league player lol. It reminds me of a friend of mine, he's very superficial. If you were in a store with him and looking at something completely random like say, towels or something and there were two sets right beside each other that were exactly the same he'd but one was $10 and one was $20 he'd buy the more expensive ones. Why? because people always assume that the more expensive product is better. As far as not buying from sweat shops, that's pretty hard to accomplish. I always try and buy Canadian and if not, American but it's simply not always possible. Hell, look at what happened recently with the Iphones in China, a $500-$900 phone made with slave labor yet everyone seems to have one. As far as the lighting bothering me, I saw a ophthalmologist years back and he quickly came to the conclusion that my eyes were very sensitive to light and there's a medical term for it but the term escapes me at the moment. Basically, your pupils are always dilated and allowing too much light in, becoming over-sensitive. It's more common among people with lighter pigmentation and with blue eyes like myself. The only advice the doctor will give you is that you pretty much have to wear sunglasses all the time, which I do, and that's about it. There's a variety of reasons your eyes can turn out this sensitive, my advice is that if you're experiencing headaches or it feels like your eyes are burning then see a doctor. There are times when I can barely see when I'm playing hockey, my eyes burn so bad. Visine helps but a tinted visor seems much more logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I noticed that Tackla offers some 5-7 different models, much more than the 2 offered at most hockey stores, with their home website (in Finland) listing them all.

I remember reading that some of the lower-end models are made in Thailand, while the higher end ones are made elsewhere, with a significant quality gap between them.

Have you tried out different recent tacklas to see how their line is?
I admit I haven't tried new Tacklas on in a long time but I know there's no doubt they make the best pants around and they'd be my first choice. I'll admit I don't even know where to find them anymore, when I bought the pants I returned I purchased them from sport-mart but they felt big and bulky almost, probably due to the contrast compared to the old Tacklas I have. I'm guessing you can find Tacklas at Source for sports aka the most over-priced sports store around. Play it again sports is always good, they usually have great deals if you don't mind used stuff which I don't mind if the stuff is in good shape.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 07:19 AM
  #822
izzy3
Registered User
 
izzy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I don't chirp a lot but it drives me nuts seeing all these crappy players wearing $800 Grafs. Honestly...you can't skate man, are the Grafs really needed? I played high levels my entire life and the most expensive skates I've ever owned are the one's I own now. $250 Eastons. I saw a guy last week at the rec league I'm in wearing the most expensive Grafs around and he was falling every other stride. Is this a superficial thing or do people really think it will make them better? Same goes with guys who buy the most expensive sticks...my feathered saucer pass is harder then your wrist shot/slap shot man, why not just buy a cheap Sher-wood? Also, I'm getting a tinted visor, I need it for medical reasons. I have sight problems and basically my eyes allow too much light in so you can only imagine how much it burns my eyes being somewhere as bright as the rink. I would never get a mirrored visor, wouldn't be caught dead wearing one.
Can it be that you're a little jealous? I mean I don't really care who plays in expensive gear, though it is silly to spend 1000s on gear if one can't use it to its fullest potential, but it was THEIR MONEY they spent, so what's your problem?

I got a top of the line stick for my birthday at first (at the time I was rocking a Reebok 4K), and since then I do not really want to go back, at least not as long as I can afford it. Those sticks are just that much better in every aspect, and as one of my buddies said: you can't blame the stick anymore if you play crap - and I like that approach too.

izzy3 is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 07:31 AM
  #823
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 45,278
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I recall a lady last year who was wearing makeup (!) during the game
Oh man, now THAT is chirp-worthy.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
02-23-2012, 07:56 AM
  #824
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
Can it be that you're a little jealous? I mean I don't really care who plays in expensive gear, though it is silly to spend 1000s on gear if one can't use it to its fullest potential, but it was THEIR MONEY they spent, so what's your problem?

I got a top of the line stick for my birthday at first (at the time I was rocking a Reebok 4K), and since then I do not really want to go back, at least not as long as I can afford it. Those sticks are just that much better in every aspect, and as one of my buddies said: you can't blame the stick anymore if you play crap - and I like that approach too.
Jealous? not at all. If I wanted Grafs or whatever I'd go buy it. I played triple A, Junior B etc. I played high levels of hockey, I know that the difference between a good player and a great player isn't the price difference in their equipment. I just find it unreasonable for a poor player to drop that kind of money of stuff when it won't do anything for them. Like I said, I taught golf for a long time, my clubs are worth a lot of money but I know for a fact that when I see 20 handicappers spend thousands on clubs it won't make a difference whatsoever in their game and it's the same way with hockey equipment. You can spend a hundred or a thousand, and if you see no improvement, how can you justify the cost? Golf pro's use a phrase that holds true, it's the arrow, not the archer.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 08:46 AM
  #825
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
how can you justify the cost?
They don't have to justify the cost. There is no Arbiter of Equipment Reasonableness. I went out and bought some nice stuff with my bonus, Easton E700 helmet, Bauer Vapor APX stick. I'm sure you would say it was a waste since I'm not Wayne Gretzky, but the beauty is that I don't have to give a s*** because it's my money.

hockeymass is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.