HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Hey Jarick. Do you know how the 9000s compare to the 2440s (lighter, heavier, more protection, etc.)?
I don't, but it's likely going to be a bit heavier with a LOT more protection. But these Tacklas really aren't heavy. I have never noticed wearing them. The big thing is they stay out of the way because the movement is so free, which is way more important than a couple ounces on your hips/core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I don't chirp a lot but it drives me nuts seeing all these crappy players wearing $800 Grafs. Honestly...you can't skate man, are the Grafs really needed?
I'm a C-leaguer, not sure if that makes me crappy or not but I'm crappier than most

Grafs are the only skate that fit my feet, unless I get custom Bauers, which would cost more than Grafs. You're lucky if you can fit right into a pair of skates off the shelf. $250 is a good price point. Some of us aren't lucky.

I tried two pairs of skates before getting the Grafs. That cost me $250 for the first and $300 for the second, and neither fit right. I sold them for a combined $100, so that's $450 down the drain.

The only time I'd really worry about what someone's wearing is if their equipment was dangerous or if either a kid or a store clerk is hassling a parent into getting something unnecessarily expensive. I'd rather give a kid too young to take a hard shot a good wood stick than a $100+ composite. They don't need the APX level skates either as they're just too light to flex the material or break it down.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:21 AM
ZachaAttackas
BAHNINGU LABU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't, but it's likely going to be a bit heavier with a LOT more protection. But these Tacklas really aren't heavy. I have never noticed wearing them. The big thing is they stay out of the way because the movement is so free, which is way more important than a couple ounces on your hips/core.

I'm a C-leaguer, not sure if that makes me crappy or not but I'm crappier than most

Grafs are the only skate that fit my feet, unless I get custom Bauers, which would cost more than Grafs. You're lucky if you can fit right into a pair of skates off the shelf. $250 is a good price point. Some of us aren't lucky.

I tried two pairs of skates before getting the Grafs. That cost me $250 for the first and $300 for the second, and neither fit right. I sold them for a combined $100, so that's $450 down the drain.

The only time I'd really worry about what someone's wearing is if their equipment was dangerous or if either a kid or a store clerk is hassling a parent into getting something unnecessarily expensive. I'd rather give a kid too young to take a hard shot a good wood stick than a $100+ composite. They don't need the APX level skates either as they're just too light to flex the material or break it down.
Wow, I thought my skates where fairly new. I haven't replaced them since I played High School, so... 10 years old now. CCM Tacks.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
neksys

*shrug* My skates would have been at or near the top of the line a couple of years ago. I'm a terrible skater.

I didn't buy them because I thought they would improve my abilities, I bought them because they fit me the best.

I figured if I had an excellent fit I'd learn quicker than if I wasn't fighting a sliding heel or foot heel all the time.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
BigDuke6

This is an interesting thread, mostly from the standpoint of what guys wear in rec. leagues.

The adult league at my local rink you are reguired to wear a full cage, shoulder pads, etc. Basically all the gear.

Some of the attitudes towards gear are pretty interesting, and maybe reflect different age groups, I can't really tell. But, I'm almost 40, only recently started skating/hockey, I have a wife, two kids, job, mortagage, etc., etc. Hockey is fun, great exercise, and good for some competition. However, I'm not going out on the ice without all the basic pads, a good helmet (including the ear guards), and a full cage.

Never been chirped, probably because all the gear is required, but would laugh my ass off if I ever did. Anyone chirping over gear is taking it a bit too seriously in my opinion. It is rec. league, but I'm not taking a puck to the chest without pads on, nor would I risk taking a stick/puck to the face (or ear). It is all about priorities, and in the grand scheme hockey just isn't that high on the list.

I haven't bought top of the line gear by any stretch of the imagination. I did buy a good helmet, but pads were mostly of function of fit/comfort. Still searching for skates that fit/feel good, but I wouldn't sink +$500 into skates because I can't justify the cost. I would say the only item I over spent a bit was on a stick. My first stick was a pretty cheap Supreme One20, about six months after that I bought a Vapor 6.0, becuase the curve was completely different and I wanted to experiment with a different stick. What the hell, sometimes you gotta splurge. Beat spending the $$$ on another driver.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
donkers*

I will never chirp anyone who wears gear that is intended to protect them self but I will chirp (occasionally) people who try to have "style" without the skills. Tinted visors and bright green laces fall into that category.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Nbr-17

Shoulder pads should only ever be a reason for chirping in roller hocley

Old
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
I will never chirp anyone who wears gear that is intended to protect them self but I will chirp (occasionally) people who try to have "style" without the skills. Tinted visors and bright green laces fall into that category.
I guess I get the visor thing, but I'm not sure I understand the style thing. I know I've seen it at the league at my rink, and have read many examples in this thread. Some teams just go a little wacky/crazy with colors and uniforms. I personally like to wear obscure jerseys that I know no one else is going to have. Anything to not be one of the 1000's wearing sharks gear. I've seen a guy at drop-in who basically wears his college gear (helmet, jersey, gloves) the whole kit - more power to him.

I likened hockey gear to the way some guys approach golf - the loudest, crazyiest, stupidest stuff is all good.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Wow, I thought my skates where fairly new. I haven't replaced them since I played High School, so... 10 years old now. CCM Tacks.
I'd love to get 10 years out of my Grafs

Lots of guys rock those old Tacks though. They were really great skates, durable too.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:32 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
I guess I get the visor thing, but I'm not sure I understand the style thing. I know I've seen it at the league at my rink, and have read many examples in this thread. Some teams just go a little wacky/crazy with colors and uniforms. I personally like to wear obscure jerseys that I know no one else is going to have. Anything to not be one of the 1000's wearing sharks gear. I've seen a guy at drop-in who basically wears his college gear (helmet, jersey, gloves) the whole kit - more power to him.

I likened hockey gear to the way some guys approach golf - the loudest, crazyiest, stupidest stuff is all good.
On every team I've played on since I was kid if you tried to stand out with your gear without skills to go with it earned you chirps. I don't care too much about jerseys unless it's a Gretzky, Orr, or 69. I still wear my Junior and youth hockey jerseys since they still fit me.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
On every team I've played on since I was kid if you tried to stand out with your gear without skills to go with it earned you chirps. I don't care too much about jerseys unless it's a Gretzky, Orr, or 69. I still wear my Junior and youth hockey jerseys since they still fit me.
Maybe part of the disconnect (at least from my perspective) is the "skills to go with it" part. I would say that 75% of the guys/girls I'm on the ice with only recently took up hockey. It isn't a big sport in California, so it isn't like any of us grew up playing hockey. While skill levels vary within the bronze (lowest level) league, I wouldn't say anyone really has the "skills to go with it".

We do have some older guys (my age or close enough) that are transplants from other parts of the country that grew up playing or played in college. Those are the guys that I see out during stick time with minimal padding. Good for them, seems crazy to me, but I'm not immune to completely eating **** out there.

In the end it seems like normal trash talking that goes with any other sport. The trash talking associated with someone wearing specific protective gear seems silly, but it also wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I pay my money just like the guys who can skate cicrles around me, just as much my ice as it is theirs.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
We are lucky enough to have minimal turnover on my team now but we get a new guy every few seasons. I am really thinking about making it an initiation for the new guy to wear a #99 jersey for his first season. The new guys are always friends of a friend so they would know what they are getting into. It would be a great welcome.

Quote:
In the end it seems like normal trash talking that goes with any other sport. The trash talking associated with someone wearing specific protective gear seems silly, but it also wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I pay my money just like the guys who can skate cicrles around me, just as much my ice as it is theirs.
I think it is all in good fun at the rinks I play in. You mentioned golf in another post, the trash talk that used to go around in a Friday Skins game I used to play in put anything that goes on at the rink to shame. But at the end of the day, everyone had a good laugh about it.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Maybe part of the disconnect (at least from my perspective) is the "skills to go with it" part. I would say that 75% of the guys/girls I'm on the ice with only recently took up hockey. It isn't a big sport in California, so it isn't like any of us grew up playing hockey. While skill levels vary within the bronze (lowest level) league, I wouldn't say anyone really has the "skills to go with it".

We do have some older guys (my age or close enough) that are transplants from other parts of the country that grew up playing or played in college. Those are the guys that I see out during stick time with minimal padding. Good for them, seems crazy to me, but I'm not immune to completely eating **** out there.

I'm not arguing with you that it is dumb to chirp for wearing shoulder pads or something ordinary. I'm just saying if there is a guy out there (this is a real example by the way) with a helmet on with "hat trick" stickers plastered all over to go along with his mirrored visor and when he steps on the ice immediately stumbles, he's going to get chirped. If you're just wearing your regular out of the box gear and nothing flashy and I see you stumbling I'm not going to say anything because I was a beginner once too.

I play(ed) California hockey by the way. You'd be surprised at how many kids who are going places.

Old
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
some of you guys are being a little picky i think

Ok basically just stick to normal conservative colors for helmets, gloves, pants, laces, tape, etc.. and you'll be fine.

stay away from #s like 00, 1, goalie numbers: roughly 29-36, and def stay away from numbers: 99, 87, 66, etc...

as far as helmets: I dont like the 8500 either, but not many guys I know will chirp someone who has it. just find a helmet that is safe and feels good for you, in a normal color and it'll be fine.

Chirpable:
colored visors, mirror visor
Colored laces
Colored and patterned blade tape (except for Pink on Hockey Fights Cancer Month or team doing a cancer fundraiser)
Mouth guard hanging from your cage
wheel bags (unless you are a goalie/lady/handicapped)
A complete uniform of your favorite an NHL team
(ex saw a guy once with Blue Jacket pants, socks, gloves, custom jersey, helmet)
Jagr Mullet str8 from the 80s-early 90s

So having socks and jersey that match is considered wrong now? I have sets of flyers, kings and North Stars stuff- socks and jerseys only, and nothing on them except my number... How things have changed if that's the case! Hopefully if it's just the complete team gear, don't have that! lol.. I'm just getting back into it since a 30 year layoff, so what the hell.. Still should be fun!

Old
05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I use this stick and have since it came out. I enjoy it very much. It could be called anything and I would still use it. Its cheap so I can always find it on sale and performs quite well.

So blow me.
LMAO! That's funny!

Old
05-09-2012, 12:06 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Am I the only one who didn't know what "chirped" meant until I saw this thread? I grew up on the west coast if that means anything...
I agree, I started playing in 1973 in California and never heard the term until this forum. We just played hockey and had fun.. I'm hoping that its still that way now for the most part.

Just a question, but what is the average age of the posters here?

Old
05-09-2012, 05:12 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
I agree, I started playing in 1973 in California and never heard the term until this forum. We just played hockey and had fun.. I'm hoping that its still that way now for the most part.

Just a question, but what is the average age of the posters here?
Ugh, please. No need to get all high horse on this.

Old
05-09-2012, 05:40 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I believe the term "chirp" is almost exclusive to hockey.

In most other sports it's just trash talk, talking ****, talking smack, etc.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:15 AM
bigduga

I suck. Just started a month ago. If I had bought gear commensurate with my skill level i would have had to make it myself out of used milk cartons.

Old
05-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduga View Post
I suck. Just started a month ago. If I had bought gear commensurate with my skill level i would have had to make it myself out of used milk cartons.
On that basis, every n00b goalie should have gear like this:

Old
05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
OpenIceHit42

Skate in a Thursday night pickup game and some clown has pink tape on the shaft and blade of his stick, pink laces and pink tape around his shin guards. The dude thinks he's the next coming of Wayne Gretzky too although he's gotta get past the ankle bend part LOL

Old
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
rinkrat22

to help some of you noobs that are middled aged ( me too) that don't seem to "get it". Let me throw some comparisons out there. here are some hockey equilavents to other sports. and remember trash talking happens in every sport.

are you the golfer that shows up rocking all the newest king cobra clubs, bag etc and wearing bright orange clothes? and shoot in the 100's?

are you the softball player that shows up with eye black, a pine tar rag and towel hanging from your waist? can you hit a 350 foot bomb at will? no?

are you the basketball player wearing the shooters sleeve, and the latest Jordans? do you keep missing layups?

then somewhere on that field someone is talikng **** about you. Should you go hang yourself? no. Just realize if you try and stand out, and don't have the skills to back it up, you are going to be a target. If you can back it up then no one will care what you wear.

Old
05-09-2012, 11:13 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Ugh, please. No need to get all high horse on this.
You missed the point... I asked the age because I have never heard the term before, and figured it was relatively new- got it? lol..

And almost 500 posts in two months? lol! How do you find the time to actually skate!

Old
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Trevor3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
You missed the point... I asked the age because I have never heard the term before, and figured it was relatively new- got it? lol..

And almost 500 posts in two months? lol! How do you find the time to actually skate!
You mentioned you started playing in California in the 70's? Well, that makes you part of the pioneers of rec hockey on the US west coast in a way. Chances are, you guys have been playing in a different hockey culture with different slang. Just like language of speaking, language of hockey changes from place to place, like dialects. Everybody I know understands "chirping", but most would say a player was "running his mouth" out there. Around St. John's NL, many people refer to a goaltender's trapper as a scoop, which threw me for a loop when I first heard it. A guy said "pass me that scoop buddy", I was looking for a spoon like utensil and felt like a fool afterwards.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
Skate in a Thursday night pickup game and some clown has pink tape on the shaft and blade of his stick, pink laces and pink tape around his shin guards. The dude thinks he's the next coming of Wayne Gretzky too although he's gotta get past the ankle bend part LOL
Those guys usually have a wife/mother/friend who's had breast cancer.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
We are lucky enough to have minimal turnover on my team now but we get a new guy every few seasons. I am really thinking about making it an initiation for the new guy to wear a #99 jersey for his first season. The new guys are always friends of a friend so they would know what they are getting into. It would be a great welcome.
God that would suck

I'd make them wear it for just one game though. Get a jersey with a plate that says "AWESOME" and 99. Then they get the real jersey.

Closed Thread