HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadian lines (Who do you want to play with Crosby?)

View Poll Results: Who should be with Crosby?
Nash 87 48.33%
Iginla 108 60.00%
Bergeron 12 6.67%
Toews 40 22.22%
Marleau 12 6.67%
Staal 41 22.78%
Heatley 38 21.11%
Richards 10 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Kev22

vCash: 500
So is the verocity at which you're all bashing Nash mean you've selected him as the Olympic scapegoat when the Russians eliminate the Canadians? I think there's a long line of other players to be blamed before Nash. Heading that line should be Martin Brodeur. He was awful last night.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
At the 08 world tourny wasn't nash-getzlaf-heatley like our team? I wanna see him try that for a couple shifts.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
It's not Nash's fault. This is on Babcock......he has no balls to move Crosby-Nash.....IT'S NOT WORKING!

Nash-Getzlaf-Perry

Staal-Crosby-Iginla

GET IT ****ING DONE!!!!!!!!!
Getzlaf and Perry have been pretty useless.

Heatley - Crosby - Marleau
Nash - Toews - Iginla

Also, less Pronger and Neidermayer and more Keith, Doughty and Seabrook.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:26 PM
RhyZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
it proves that he's passing the puck unlike its been mentioned here...that's all I'm saying...and right now he's a PPG player, how many players can say that? I understand the Nash hate, but there are FAAAAAAAAAR more ppl that should be pointed out before he
I think he's been fine. If everyone played with his aggressiveness and physicality we'd be in good shape. I just don't think one of his strengths is passing so to enhance his strengths, which is shooting/driving to the net, I'd like to play him with a good setup man like Thornton.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Catches Bass View Post
Why hasnt Rick Nash been talked about? Thornton has actually helped Canada out..other then Nash's late assist hes been invisible...

He has hit well but thats it...Im very disapointed in his play.

I wanna see the 1st line be Staal - Crosby - Iginla.

Do something like this:
Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Shark line
Nash - Getzlaf - Toews
Richards - Bergeron - Morrow - Perry.
What glue have you been sniffing?
I've been watching the games and Nash is one of the best guys on the ice, if theres a person to remove from the 1st line its Crosby...he's no Ovechkin. Thornton was a big mistake to be picked for this team...hes too slow, Canada should have picked Lecavalier, Heatley and Marleau have been carrying that line. Bergeron and Getzlaf are big disappointments as well, Richards has been bumped to the 1st line because hes actually trying.
Brodeur was on some kind of medication last night, what was he thinking? Time to use Luongo(hometown Fav.) or even Fleury.
Here's my lines:
1:Nash-Richards-Perry
2:Marleu-Crosby-Heatly
3:Staal-Thornton-Morrow
4:Bergeron-Getzlaf-Iginla

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
What glue have you been sniffing?
I've been watching the games and Nash is one of the best guys on the ice, if theres a person to remove from the 1st line its Crosby...he's no Ovechkin. Thornton was a big mistake to be picked for this team...hes too slow, Canada should have picked Lecavalier, Heatley and Marleau have been carrying that line. Bergeron and Getzlaf are big disappointments as well, Richards has been bumped to the 1st line because hes actually trying.
Brodeur was on some kind of medication last night, what was he thinking? Time to use Luongo(hometown Fav.) or even Fleury.
Here's my lines:
1:Nash-Richards-Perry
4:Bergeron-Getzlaf-Iginla
You're going to ask what glue someone has been sniffing and then put Perry on the 1st line and Iginla on the 4th? That empty netter was basically the cherry on top of a terrible performance. He's looked brutal since the game against Norway. Iginla on the other hand makes something happen almost every time he's on the ice. The one time he got on the ice with Crosby and Nash last night was the best shift of the game. They did everything but score late in the game.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Sorry my bad, these lines are right...thanks for pointing that out.
1:Nash-Richards-Iginla
4:Bergeron-Getzlaf-Perry

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Hfboards2010

I voted for Nash-Crosby-Iginla which I think is more likely to happen, but this is what my line up would look like:

Toews / Crosby / Iginla (To play against best line)
Heatley / Getzlaf / Nash (Getzlaf to set up Heatley and Nash)
Richards / Thornton / Marleau (Marleau and Richards are high intensity, can carry Thornton who does not need pure snipers to produce)
Morrow / Staal / Perry-Bergeron (Staal can do whatever he needs to do alone, Morrow is a reliable hard worker, Bergeron-Perry as needed)

Keith / Seabrook (No need to comment)
Boyle / Doughty (Tempted to go with Doughty / Weber)
Niedermayer-Pronger / Weber (Weber to provide some stability on the third pair)

Luongo (At this point, no brainer)
Brodeur (Has not be reliable recently, but Fleury is cold at the moment)
Fleury (Next Olympics kid)

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:32 PM
SpezDispenser

Isn't it time for the old Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley line, with Crosby playing with Marleau and Iginla or Staal?

Enough is enough, Thornton isn't playing well enough to deserve playing time over Crosby - and while Getzlaf hasn't been amazing, that one line was money last time they were together.

Also, please limit Neidermayer and Pronger's time and give it all to Doughty, Keith, Boyle and Weber.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
So is the verocity at which you're all bashing Nash mean you've selected him as the Olympic scapegoat when the Russians eliminate the Canadians?
No! I'm not happy with his performance, but he's nowhere near the biggest disappointment out there.

I never again want to see Thornton in a Team Canada jersey.
Perry shouldn't even be benched, he should be put in the press box.
Bergeron isn't doing a whole lot "bad", he just looks out of place.
Pronger - he's done.
Niedermayer - not a disaster, but not a big minutes guy anymore.

Babcock better start taking this seriously and start stapling guys to the bench.

Old
02-22-2010, 03:35 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
I voted for Nash-Crosby-Iginla which I think is more likely to happen, but this is what my line up would look like:

Toews / Crosby / Iginla (To play against best line)
Heatley / Getzlaf / Nash (Getzlaf to set up Heatley and Nash)
Richards / Thornton / Marleau (Marleau and Richards are high intensity, can carry Thornton who does not need pure snipers to produce)
Morrow / Staal / Perry-Bergeron (Staal can do whatever he needs to do alone, Morrow is a reliable hard worker, Bergeron-Perry as needed)

Keith / Seabrook (No need to comment)
Boyle / Doughty (Tempted to go with Doughty / Weber)
Niedermayer-Pronger / Weber (Weber to provide some stability on the third pair)

Luongo (At this point, no brainer)
Brodeur (Has not be reliable recently, but Fleury is cold at the moment)
Fleury (Next Olympics kid)
Its my opinion that Staal needs to get more than 4th line ice time - he stepped it up last night and played very physically (except for that stupid penalty he took against Rafalski). Having Weber bring some stability to the 3rd pairing is overall a good idea (and he has played a lot with Nieds so far), but I think realistically him, Doughty and Keith are going to have to start logging upwards of 25 -28 mins a game for us to be successful and protect Pronger and Niedermayer.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:48 PM
AJRAYMOND

Two of the most overrated things in sports are Phil Mickleson's shortgame and Sidney Crosby's defensive play.

Where I put Sid is on the 2nd line with Getzlaf and Perry. Don't change the 1st line- The San Jose line.
Try it against Germany and see what happens.

AJRAYMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Sorry my bad, these lines are right...thanks for pointing that out.
1:Nash-Richards-Iginla
4:Bergeron-Getzlaf-Perry
Lmao,

are you kidding me...

1. You want richards on the 1st line ccause that worked so well last game...he was off it by the end of the 1st period.
2. Crosby is the best player therefore hes on the 1st line, if anything you should have that as your 1st line.
3. Thornton with morrow and Staal - wheres the chemistry at all here? Morrow grinds, Staal makes plays for ppl, thornton only passes..who scores the goals???
4. Bergeron has been horrible..he should be the 13th forward not Toews!!(Whos been are best forward)

Also I have changed my lines to this:

Staal - Crosby - Toews
Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Morrow - Richards - Perry
Iginla - Thorton - Marleau
Bergeron

Last edited by Lehner: 02-22-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Its my opinion that Staal needs to get more than 4th line ice time - he stepped it up last night and played very physically (except for that stupid penalty he took against Rafalski). Having Weber bring some stability to the 3rd pairing is overall a good idea (and he has played a lot with Nieds so far), but I think realistically him, Doughty and Keith are going to have to start logging upwards of 25 -28 mins a game for us to be successful and protect Pronger and Niedermayer.
I agree with both of your comments.

Iginla plays his best with Crosby, but I would have no problem double shifting Staal as a center on the 4th and as a right winger on the 1st (from time to time) so he gets more ice time.

You are right with the top 3 (Keith, Doughty, Weber). The most important thing to me is to have one of Keith, Doughty, Weber on the ice at all time. Seabrook can get the job done with Keith. That gives you one reliable pair. You can play Doughty-Weber as a second pair, but you need one of Keith/Doughty/Weber to play with Niedermayer/Pronger (and to a certain extent Boyle).

Old
02-22-2010, 05:36 PM
HellsBells

These would be my lines:

Staal - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Marleau - Thornton - Perry
Morrow - Toews - Richards

Basically swap Staal/Nash & Heatley/Perry.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Hfboards2010

edit: nm wrong thread!

Old
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Shareefruck

Has Getzlaf really been all that much better than Thornton? I haven't liked Ryan's game at all so far.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
PhoenyX

Getzlaf hasn't done much either. He really isn't playing his game out there for some reason.

According to Dreger's twitter, the top two lines at practice were Nash-Getlzaf-Perry and Staal-Crosby-Iginla.

About time Babcock switched Staal and Nash in my opinion.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:50 PM
canadajazz

When my buddies and I were making predictions about the team a year ago we didn't think Marleau or Thornton were going to make the team at the time... combining that reality with what we discussed, would be something like:

Heatley Crosby Iginla (first line, assuming Crosby and Iginla do a fairly even shoot-distribute job, which they're both highly capable of...Heatley pure shooter)

Marleau Getzlaf Nash (haven't liked Perry, we didn't think he'd make it either at the time... this could be a strong secondary scoring line, with alot of toughness too... all 3 guys can use the body, forecheck hard, sscore goals and play responsible in their own zone)

then for a checking/energy line I'd go

Richards Staal Toews (I have liked all 3 of these guys, them the chance to play physical and get on a role)

I know some of you will disagree but I have not liked Thornton...thought he's been soft, a non-factor, not really adding any jump...mediocre at best.. I'd put him on a rarely used 4th line with Bergeron, Perry, Morrow in rotation. Use Bergeron for the defensive zone faceoffs, Morrow on the PK, and maybe put Thornton back with his boys in the PP and see if he sparks or not.

-------

That's how I'd go for now. And I'd mainly rotate the first 3 lines and let them get it going, give key guys more ice time. As for D, Neds looks like ****... Let Seabrook and Keith play toghether, put Weber and Doughty out there, sit down Neds and Pronger's ***** and put Boyle on the PP.

canadajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Oilerfan120582

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
Getzlaf hasn't done much either. He really isn't playing his game out there for some reason.

According to Dreger's twitter, the top two lines at practice were Nash-Getlzaf-Perry and Staal-Crosby-Iginla.

About time Babcock switched Staal and Nash in my opinion.
Exactly what I was hoping they'd do. Iginla on the top line should've been a no-brainer from the start. Nash and Crosby are both puck carriers and it doesn't work to have them on the same line. Nash has worked well with Getzlaf in the past so that makes more sense. Also, even though they haven't been overly impressive I wouldn't want to mess with the chemistry of the Sharks line this late in the tournament.

Oilerfan120582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

I thought Crosby's "thing" was that he made everyone around him better? In Pittsburgh his wingers aren't good enough, and now in the Olympics with some of the best players in the league, his wingers still aren't good enough? He's still scoring, but at some point don't you have to consider moving him down and giving more ice to other guys if you're going to get better production out of another line? That might be sacriledge, but it'd sure as heck be a wake up call to the rest of the guys.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

@DarrenDreger
Canada's top two lines in practice..61Nash51 Getz 24 Perry 21 Staal 87 Crosby. 12 Iggy

@darenmillard
At Team Canada practice. Nash and crosby with eric staal... Luongo at one end, brodeur and fleury sharing the other net.

I think I'll go with DD on this one. 1) because Millard works for Sportsnet 2) those lines are sick

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
flmmkrz

Here's what i'd like to see:

Staal Crosby Iginla

Nash Getzlaf Heatley

Toews Thornton Marleau

Perry Richards Morrow

1st line: I didnt like Crosby/Nash together cause both while they can set up would rather be taking it to the net, they need guys who will hit them in flight, Staal can do that and he's big physical enough to hit the net and clean up garbage as is Iginla.

2nd line: Better fit for Nash, when he's flying Getzlaf can hit him and they got a pure sniper on the other side. Worked at the world championships, cant argue with that chemistry.

3rd: Gets Thornton away from top d pairings hope that opens some room for him and Toews gives him a quick player to create with, both see the ice incredibly well and Marleau can score and his speed is an asset.

4th: Perrys been useless so stick him on the 4th and let him use that size to crash and bang with some other bangers and they'll create cause there is skill there.

flmmkrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Stamkos has been on fire. Bergeron should have never made the team.
If somebody from Tampa deserves to be on the team its St Louis

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I'm glad they've seemed to move Nash off the Crosby line. I think Nash is great with Crosby, but Nash could also get Getzlaf and Perry going which would be dangerous if it worked out.

Here are the lines I'd like to see, and they're close to what was described though not identical.

Toews/Crosby/Iginla
Marleau/Thornton/Heatley
Nash/Getzlaf/Perry
Staal/Richards/Morrow
Bergeron

lush is offline   Reply With Quote