HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadian lines (Who do you want to play with Crosby?)

View Poll Results: Who should be with Crosby?
Nash 87 48.33%
Iginla 108 60.00%
Bergeron 12 6.67%
Toews 40 22.22%
Marleau 12 6.67%
Staal 41 22.78%
Heatley 38 21.11%
Richards 10 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
I agree with both of your comments.

Iginla plays his best with Crosby, but I would have no problem double shifting Staal as a center on the 4th and as a right winger on the 1st (from time to time) so he gets more ice time.

You are right with the top 3 (Keith, Doughty, Weber). The most important thing to me is to have one of Keith, Doughty, Weber on the ice at all time. Seabrook can get the job done with Keith. That gives you one reliable pair. You can play Doughty-Weber as a second pair, but you need one of Keith/Doughty/Weber to play with Niedermayer/Pronger (and to a certain extent Boyle).
Agreed, now is definitely the time for Babcock to be shortening his bench to only those players who are playing well. From what I've seen from Staal, he's on his game and deserves the extra ice time (same goes for Toews). We can't afford any momentum-killing shifts in these next few games from players who aren't performing up to par. The defense is a bit concerning to me - I don't think we went into the tournament expecting to only be able to trust 3-4 defencemen with big minutes, but that's the hand that Yzerman played by not selecting Bouwmeester. Given their ability to log big minutes in the NHL, I don't see Keith, Weber, Doughty, and to a lesser extent Boyle having a problem with this. Especially if Pronger or Niedermayer see a bit of token PP time.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
@DarrenDreger
Canada's top two lines in practice..61Nash51 Getz 24 Perry 21 Staal 87 Crosby. 12 Iggy

@darenmillard
At Team Canada practice. Nash and crosby with eric staal... Luongo at one end, brodeur and fleury sharing the other net.

I think I'll go with DD on this one. 1) because Millard works for Sportsnet 2) those lines are sick
If they swapped Perry for Heatley they'd be perfect. Here's what I'd do

Staal-Crosby-Iginla
Heatley-Getzlaf-Nash
Richards-Toews-Marleau
Morrow-Bergeron-Toews

Double shift Toews in "bottom 6", use Perry or Thornton when he needs a rest. Keep Perry and Thornton stapled to bench beside Pronger.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:40 PM
PhoenyX

Just a follow up to Dregger's twitter message, Bob Mackenzie said, "As expected, Luongo starts. Staal and Iggy flank Crosby. Nash and Perry flank Getzlaf. Morrow and Richards with Toews. Sharks. Bergeron 13th"

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
Just a follow up to Dregger's twitter message, Bob Mackenzie said, "As expected, Luongo starts. Staal and Iggy flank Crosby. Nash and Perry flank Getzlaf. Morrow and Richards with Toews. Sharks. Bergeron 13th"
Finally! Though, one thing I'm not totally sure about yet is Richards' ability to play the right side. Thinking back to the Norway (or maybe the Switz) game, when he platooned with Bergeron/Toews/Morrow, he took a few shifts on the right side and didn't look entirely comfortable playing the off-wing. Maybe its just me - I was terrible at taking passes on the off-wing when I played. But he didn't look comfortable.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:03 PM
eightyseven

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is HOW TERRIBLE Team Canada's PP has been. It looks like it's in slow motion all the time. Mike Green surely would've helped the PP and he seriously can't be any worse defensively than Pronger/Niedermayer. Change up the players a bit, the Sharks line seems to be getting all the PP time but aren't doing much with it. Invisible when it counts.

And for you all criticizing Rick Nash, he was honestly one of the best forwards last night. Toward the end, it looked like he wanted to take the game over. He was winning all the puck battles and created a lot of sustained pressure in their offensive zone. He, Crosby and Toews were the 3 best forwards, I thought. Why doesn't Toews get more ice time?! What does Babcock have against him?

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
rye&ginger

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/statuses/9501399983
twitter post PhoenyX metions.

I guess that is not good enough for its own thread, but hypothetical fluff like " How many US players would have made the Canadian team?" and "Did Finland lose on purpose?" are hard hitting topics.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Sorry my bad, these lines are right...thanks for pointing that out.
1:Nash-Richards-Iginla
2:Marleu-Crosby-Heatly
3:Staal-Thornton-Morrow
4:Bergeron-Getzlaf-Perry
Put ...

the glue ...

down.

Toews gets benched? In favor of Perry AND Bergeron AND Thornton AND your guy Richards?

OK.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Proffessor G DIDDY

Well its seem all hell has broken loose, to be perfectly honest I think a lot of Canadian players combined well to put on a pretty good yet loosing performance. I was really impressed by the play of Doughty, Weber, Seabrook and Keith, unfortunately I was equally unimpressed by Pronger and Niedermayer who really did not provide any veteran guidance.

Pronger and Niedermayer should be paired together and used as a shut down pair, they don't have the speed to play a ferocious end to end game. Alternatively Doughty, Weber, Seabrook, Boyle and Keith have the speed, skill and aggression to do so.

The forward lines are still settling the Crosby-Nash, Getzlaf-Perry, and Shark lines are playing good hockey, Staal and Toews seem to have a good thing going. Richards really is not complimenting Crosby & Nash, Iginla is a top RIGHT winger who plays a similar style to Crosby's Penguins team mate Bill Guerin its the obvious addition to make.

Morrow could be paired with Getzlaf & Perry, all are dominant checkers and have offensive skill to match. They are exactly the players you want out against the Swede's and Russian's top line. Finally you need a do-it-all 4th line Staal & Toews have been playing well together and you can simply insert a Bergeron or Richards. Once again this a line capable of dissolving opposition offense but also has enough skill to score goals.

Finally I would leave Martin Brodeur in, he did not have a good game against the US, but he's won Olympic Gold and has Stanley Cup rings he's too good to bench. No other goalie has both, I have more confidence in Brodeur's ability to beat Russia and Sweden than Luongo's and Fluery's combined.

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
Morrow - Getzlaf - Perry
Staal - Toews - Bergeron/Richards

Seabrook - Keith
Boyle/Doughty - Weber
Pronger - Niedermayer/Doughty

Brodeur - Luongo - Fluery

Proffessor G DIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
I voted for Nash-Crosby-Iginla which I think is more likely to happen, but this is what my line up would look like:

Toews / Crosby / Iginla (To play against best line)
Heatley / Getzlaf / Nash (Getzlaf to set up Heatley and Nash)
Richards / Thornton / Marleau (Marleau and Richards are high intensity, can carry Thornton who does not need pure snipers to produce)
Morrow / Staal / Perry-Bergeron (Staal can do whatever he needs to do alone, Morrow is a reliable hard worker, Bergeron-Perry as needed)

I like these lines.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
hctopcheds11

Having watched nearly every game of Sidney Crosby's career... I have a few things to note.

Crosby absolutely plays best with players who will defer to him. Having said this, that doesn't mean the players around him should be garbage or that this works (see: Armstrong, Hilbert, Recchi for some time, Guerin these days, Satan etc.). That last sentence is mainly for those who claim "I thought Crosby would be the best player with good linemates". This has been said and if Sid does have the right players around him he can absolutely take his game to another level. But like anyone he would work best with linemates who fit his style. Nash is a player who likes to have the puck on his stick and drive to the net. Sid in many was, likes to do much of the same. Although Nash and Crosby did play decent together, there are better fits. Sid has had the most sucess playing with wingers who will give him the puck in space and let him work his magic. Staal and Iginla seem like they could be on paper a great match for this.

Staal and Iginla optimally will chip pucks out for Crosby and when they get pucks immediately look for him. Let him draw attention and then allow him to distribute from there. These two players are also good enough at driving to the net and burying the ugly goals, which will allow for Crosby to shoot the puck more like he has been in the NHL this season.

Coming from someone who knows Crosby's game very well and watching him since he was a rookie, Canada seems to be on the right track.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffessor G DIDDY View Post
Well its seem all hell has broken loose, to be perfectly honest I think a lot of Canadian players combined well to put on a pretty good yet loosing performance. I was really impressed by the play of Doughty, Weber, Seabrook and Keith, unfortunately I was equally unimpressed by Pronger and Niedermayer who really did not provide any veteran guidance.

Pronger and Niedermayer should be paired together and used as a shut down pair, they don't have the speed to play a ferocious end to end game. Alternatively Doughty, Weber, Seabrook, Boyle and Keith have the speed, skill and aggression to do so.

The forward lines are still settling the Crosby-Nash, Getzlaf-Perry, and Shark lines are playing good hockey, Staal and Toews seem to have a good thing going. Richards really is not complimenting Crosby & Nash, Iginla is a top RIGHT winger who plays a similar style to Crosby's Penguins team mate Bill Guerin its the obvious addition to make.

Morrow could be paired with Getzlaf & Perry, all are dominant checkers and have offensive skill to match. They are exactly the players you want out against the Swede's and Russian's top line. Finally you need a do-it-all 4th line Staal & Toews have been playing well together and you can simply insert a Bergeron or Richards. Once again this a line capable of dissolving opposition offense but also has enough skill to score goals.

Finally I would leave Martin Brodeur in, he did not have a good game against the US, but he's won Olympic Gold and has Stanley Cup rings he's too good to bench. No other goalie has both, I have more confidence in Brodeur's ability to beat Russia and Sweden than Luongo's and Fluery's combined.

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Thornton - Marleau
Morrow - Getzlaf - Perry
Staal - Toews - Bergeron/Richards

Seabrook - Keith
Boyle/Doughty - Weber
Pronger - Niedermayer/Doughty

Brodeur - Luongo - Fluery
I have zero confidence in Niedermayer and Pronger to shut down anybody. To me they both look like wounded animals out there, I'm sure the opposition feels the same way. These guys need to be used sparingly and insulated as much as possible by the forwards.

Thank god Babcock doesn't subscribe to your "too good to bench" philosophy, Brodeur looked like an amateur out there last night.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Put ...

the glue ...

down.

Toews gets benched? In favor of Perry AND Bergeron AND Thornton AND your guy Richards?

OK.
Toews has been one of the best forwards so I wouldn't be surprised if he got little icetime.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Ironslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenyX View Post
ESPN reported it too. Not bad, I think it can work out. Though, as mentioned I'm not sold on Richards or Toews as the RW just because they both have little to no experience playing RW. Hope it works out.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Proffessor G DIDDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
I have zero confidence in Niedermayer and Pronger to shut down anybody. To me they both look like wounded animals out there, I'm sure the opposition feels the same way. These guys need to be used sparingly and insulated as much as possible by the forwards.

Thank god Babcock doesn't subscribe to your "too good to bench" philosophy, Brodeur looked like an amateur out there last night.
I totally agree with you Niedermayer and Pronger need to be wrapped in cotton wool. They are the only 2 defensemen to win Gold and Stanley Cups on the defensive core. They don't have the mobility to play an end to end but they more than mobile, skilled and experienced enough to play key defensive minutes.

Same applies to Brodeur it was a couple of bad mistakes, he did save 2 breakaways. He knows how to win, Roberto Luongo is a great goal tender but I can't not believe in Brodeur, he's won too many times.

Proffessor G DIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 05:00 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
M.A. Fleury

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
My lines, in order of ice time they should be getting:

1- Staal-Crosby-Iginla
2- Nash-Thornton-Heatley
3- Morrow-Toews-Richards
4- Marleau-Getzlaf-Perry

1- Keith-Seabrook
2- Doughty-Weber
3- Pronger-Boyler

Luongo
Fleury

Niedermayer, Brodeur and Bergeron are scratched.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Goose

The Nash/Crosby/Iginla

Is anyone else surprised that this line hasn't been kept together? I've really liked everything I've seen out of it; I know the forechecking isn't beyond belief, but overall there seems to be some chemistry there (and weren't they reunited for that all-out attack at the end of the USA game, or had I taken too many Tylenols that day?).

Am I seeing something that isn't there, or is it one of those situations where there's not enough time to wait for it to produce more, change has to be had for the sake of change?

Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Team Canada coaching has been sub-par to say the least.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Ironslave

Crosby is now with Iginla and Staal. Staal is a better forechecker than Nash, plus he doesn't need to carry the puck as much as Nash does (like Crosby does too).

Nash is now with Getzlaf and Perry.

Ironslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Albi34

Yeah I'm not too sure about that one. Maybe it's hopes that getz will produce more having nash on his line (which i agree with), but then again i also dont like having one of our best players on the third line, because he truly is a force depsite the lack of goals. everyone here knows nash can score.
Also, this could be a test to see if Staal elevates his game with crosby on his line

Albi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Goose

Yeah I get what's happening now and the reasons for it, I'm not necessarily trying to compare them or to say what Babcock should or shouldn't do, I'm just wondering if my evaluation of the line was off.

I also think Nash has been the stand-out forward for Canada, although maybe I'm just impressed by what Mackenzie calls his "crashing and banging." I haven't seen him make any bad decisions with the puck, his physicality has been sick, and he's created a lot of opportunities.

Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:42 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

Babcock should seriously consider reuniting Nash with Thornton. They won a Swiss league title playing together during the lockout year. The Sharks 1st line has been superb, for the most part, this season, but what works in the NHL doesn't necessarily work at this level of competition.

Canada needs more than a change in starting goalies to find their game.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironslave View Post
Crosby is now with Iginla and Staal. Staal is a better forechecker than Nash, plus he doesn't need to carry the puck as much as Nash does (like Crosby does too).

Nash is now with Getzlaf and Perry.
About damn time. Its all about chemistry in such a short tournament, and Nash-Getzlaf have showed that at the worlds.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
CanadianCanuck19

nash is a great player but his and crosby's styles clashed. Nash is way to much of a individual to play with crosby.

I agree that Eric Staal will be very dangerous with Crosby. I also wonder how much we see Toews there. I hope Iginla works thou.

CanadianCanuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Babcock should reunite Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley and put Perry with Toews and Bergeron. Move Morrow to the Thornton line because they need some balls and hustle.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote