HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadian lines (Who do you want to play with Crosby?)

View Poll Results: Who should be with Crosby?
Nash 87 48.33%
Iginla 108 60.00%
Bergeron 12 6.67%
Toews 40 22.22%
Marleau 12 6.67%
Staal 41 22.78%
Heatley 38 21.11%
Richards 10 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Chandler55

vCash: 500
hes good but he seems puck dominant, crosby should play with someone who passes ...nash's only real pass to crosby was on the pp and hey it was a goal. pass it rick

Chandler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
OrrNumber4

The great thing about Nash is that if he isn't scoring goals or helping out offensively, he isn't a liability but still gives energy and throws big hits.

Players like Thornton on the other hand, if they aren't scoring, they may not be liabilities but they are doing nothing to help their team win.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
This.

It's almost like last year, someone had a wet dream about Nash and Crosby absolutely owning the Olympics together, and they refuse to admit that its not working. They seem to keep thinking that "if we give it more time, they are just gonna click and that will be that". But there is NO guarentee they will just suddenly click and take off - and personally, I'd rather not wager the Olympic tournament on two players magically clicking.

I think there is good reason that they wouldn't click, mainly that they both need the puck. While Iginla can be similar, he also has a great shot and likes to shoot the puck. So when you pair Crosby with Iginla, Crosby can hold onto the puck, and Iginla can shoot it.

With Nash, he likes to carry the puck and drive the net. What does Crosby add here?

Let Nash play with Perry and Getzlaf. Nash likes to lug the puck, Getzlaf likes to shoot the puck, and Perry likes to be an all around agitator and pick up the garbage.

Put Staal with Crosby and Iginla. Crosby likes to lug the puck, Iginla likes to shoot it. Staal is a jack of all trades player that can go to the net and cause havoc.

But having Nash and Crosby together is just painful. They are both trying really hard, but there just isn't enough puck to go around.
Yep Nash would be a pefect fit for the Getzlaf line because he wouldn't have to worry about passing since Getzy would never be able to keep up with him. And I think we've seen that Nash not having to pass is definitely a good thing...because when he tries to be a playmaker its almost painful to watch. Whoever plays with Sid has to be able to get him the puck and Nash is not that person.

Andrew Sykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:49 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Umm..... I thought Rick Nash was Canada's best forward tonight. He drove the net, threw some big hits and played with passion. He made one great play on a 2 on 2 where he skated backwards to create a shooting lane for the player on the rush with him. Would have been a highlight one had he scored.
OK - I'll have to do my homer thing - how about Toews? On the first goal, he retreived the puck, held onto it until he gave it to Seabrook who shot it and it got deflected in. On the second goal he outfought the defender for the puck, came out from behind the net and shot the puck that Heatley tipped in. He did the hard work on both of those goals and gets nary a word on these boards.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
OK - I'll have to do my homer thing - how about Toews? On the first goal, he retreived the puck, held onto it until he gave it to Seabrook who shot it and it got deflected in. On the second goal he outfought the defender for the puck, came out from behind the net and shot the puck that Heatley tipped in. He did the hard work on both of those goals and gets nary a word on these boards.
Take that a step futher. Het got two shifts in the third period, both on the pk. How he is not getting more ice time over the likes of Thornton, Getz, Staal, Perry is beyond me. Same with Iggy.

Old
02-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
true man im all for toews getting a shot,

Staal - Crosby -toews
Shark line
Perry or Iginla - Getzlaf - Nash

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I don't think you're being a homer, he had an excellent game.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Andrew Sykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
I don't think you're being a homer, he had an excellent game.
Unfortunately for us, Mike Babcock didn't seem to think so...

Old
02-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
getzlaf heatley nash

grow some balls babcock
Agreed that line was flat out dominant when they played together before, almost unstoppable.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:10 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
My question is where has he been all along? Man, if he only played like this in Columbus...
Hey, if you guys are tired of him in Columbus, I'm sure the Leafs are more than happy to take him off your hands.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:12 AM
JamieG

They aren't talking about him, because the announcers love him. He's hitting, but that's all. He's another guy that doesn't come up big when you need him. As a Red Wings fan in the early 1990s, Nash reminds me of Keith Primeau back then. When the game is tight, he loses battles for the puck, misses on great chances, loses the puck, etc.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:14 AM
SkateSave

Totally agree with separating Nash and Crosby. Its like having two different lines on one line. Crosby needs connectors or finishers. Nash tends to make his own chances anyway. He gains nothing in being with Crosby.

Give Crosby Iginla and someone like Toews.

SkateSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:26 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Nash had been great... not sure what games everyone is watching... ?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
My question is where has he been all along? Man, if he only played like this in Columbus...
You clearly missed him at the World Championships. He has been a monster for Canada in the past. In a way, he's like those Europeans who play really well for their countries. Having said that, I'm still waiting for him so score.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:42 AM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
You clearly missed him at the World Championships. He has been a monster for Canada in the past. In a way, he's like those Europeans who play really well for their countries. Having said that, I'm still waiting for him so score.
Rick Nash totally and completely sucked for Canada in the 2006 Olympics...his horrid stats that tournament (6 games, 0 goals, 1 assist and 10 pim) doesn't even do justice for how bad he was.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Catches Bass View Post
Why hasnt Rick Nash been talked about?
He was on the ice for the first three USA goals.

Is that what you're referring to?

Old
02-22-2010, 12:43 AM
StarsCaptainOU

He was probably the best forward on the ice tonight for Canada.

Stats don't always tell the story.

StarsCaptainOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Stretch2010

Heatley Getzlaf Nash
Thorton Crosby Iginla
Richards Taews Perry
Staal Bergeron Marleau
Morrow

Stretch2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Nash is playing fine. I think what people need to understand, especially those who don't watch his games with Columbus very often, is that Rick Nash is a playmaker first, goalscorer second. He is a tremendous passer and uses his body much the same way Jaromir Jagr did in his prime, and that's why I've always said Nash is the closest thing to Jagr, in terms of style of play, currently in the NHL.

He is passing the puck too much, but I suppose, as someone who has seen a ton of him in the past few years, that is not much of a surprise. He is undergoing a similar (though hopefully less drastic) change that Joe Thornton went through after the lockout, when Thornton started thinking pass rather than shoot. Play Nash with a proven elite goal-scorer like Dany Heatley, and reap the benefits. Don't get me wrong, Crosby is a goal-scorer, but he is not the raw shooter Heatley is. I would get them together.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCaptainOU View Post
He was probably the best forward on the ice tonight for Canada.
Completely disagree.

He did a few things that were as ineffective as they were visible, Beyond that, he helped cost his team 3 goals while scoring none himself. IMO he shouldn't even be on this team, never mind being on the top line.

Old
02-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Money May*

Should Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley be reunited?

Great line and great chemistry in the World Championship, with everything that is going on with Canada should Babcock experiment next game and re-unite the trifecta?

Marleau - Crosby - Bergeron
Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Iginla - Toews - Staal
Morrow - Richards - Perry
Thornton

I like Crosby with Marleau because of the speed, and Crosby is familiar with Bergeron.

Money May* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Completely disagree.

He did a few things that were as ineffective as they were visible, Beyond that, he helped cost his team 3 goals while creating/scoring none himself. IMO he shouldn't even be on this team, never mind being on the top line.
How'd he help cost his team three goals? I don't recall him making any mistakes that led to goals. Being on the ice isn't the same as costing his team three goals.

He's responsible in his own zone (at worst). He's a 35+ goal scorer who put up PPG numbers last year without much help, he can use his body. He's been effective in previous international competitions.

I see no reason to not have him on the team. Couldn't disagree with you more about that.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:55 AM
PhoenyX

Hell yes they should. Getzlaf and Perry are doing nothing so split them up. Thornton and Marleau don't bother showing up in the big games so they won't mind if Heatley is gone from their line.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Kitten Mittons

Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Staal - Toews - Perry
Marleau - Crosby - Iginla
Morrow - Thornton - Richards
Bergeron

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Canuck21t

Nash is one of Canada's best but I agree with many here, his playing style doesn't match with Crosby. Put him with Getzlaf and Heatley, they were one heck of a line. Babcock needs to bump Toews up, give him more ice time, he's been very good so far. We have one more game to try new lines. If we don't gel by then, we're doomed. The Russians will have a field trip.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote