HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Giants trade for Manning...

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Mitchy

vCash: 500
OT: Giants trade for Manning...

I kinda got mixed feelings about the trade, unfortunately I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.

3 future draft picks is to much to give up IMO. A third rounder this year, and 1st and 5th rounders in 2005? C'mon

This teams got to many holes to fill and giving up those draft picks are gonna hurt. As for Manning, he may be a franchise quarterback, but I don't see him being as good as Peyton. I REALLY wanted Gallery though, I'm sure all Giants fans did, but that didn't matter since Oakland took him.

Old
04-24-2004, 01:47 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrforever
I kinda got mixed feelings about the trade, unfortunately I feel the negatives outweigh the positives.

3 future draft picks is to much to give up IMO. A third rounder this year, and 1st and 5th rounders in 2005? C'mon

This teams got to many holes to fill and giving up those draft picks are gonna hurt. As for Manning, he may be a franchise quarterback, but I don't see him being as good as Peyton. I REALLY wanted Gallery though, I'm sure all Giants fans did, but that didn't matter since Oakland took him.
i guess it will depend on who they yake with the 2nd round pick to tell! i really wanted sean taylor and its going to suck watching him play for the skins for the next ten years or so. hopefully manning turns in to the franchise quarterback everyone says he is!

Old
04-24-2004, 02:04 PM
xander

well, the only other highly rated tackle just went off the board. I like Eli, but who's gonna block for him?

One more observation:

Aparently the giants had a deal worked out with clevland to swap picks. The browns gave detroit there 2nd just to move up one spot, so it's likly that the giants could have gotten atleast that much, if not more from them. No one between 4 and 7 was gonna pick phillip rivers, so why not trade down, pick up a second and possibly another pick from clevland, and then make the manning trade?

Last edited by xander: 04-24-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old
04-24-2004, 03:08 PM
in the hall

terrible trade also bad managing of picks by Accorsi

he had a trade set up with the Browns to move down to 7 passes, if he would've taken that and gotten the second rounder this absurd overpayment would look a lot better and yes Phillip Rivers would be there, every team except for the Chargers and maybe Pitt who had no intentions on moving up had Roethlesburger rated higher then Rivers

Old
04-24-2004, 03:09 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
well, the only other highly rated tackle just went off the board. I like Eli, but who's gonna block for him?

One more observation:

Aparently the giants had a deal worked out with clevland to swap picks. The browns gave detroit there 2nd just to move up one spot, so it's likly that the giants could have gotten atleast that much, if not more from them. No one between 4 and 7 was gonna pick phillip rivers, so why not trade down, pick up a second and possibly another pick from clevland, and then make the manning trade?
Agreed, they should have moved down.

I really don't like this trade at all. They have a lot of holes, offensive line, linebacker, defensive line, safety. Plus, by the time that Manning is ready to take over and dominate, their best players will be past their prime...Strahan, Toomer, Barber. Without a first next year they won't be able to get the top young talent (other than Shockey) to surround Manning.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:21 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I too do not like this trade. The best move was to trade down and fill some holes. I would have been happy with Vilma, Wilfork, or Harris and having another 2nd rounder or 2. I was personally hoping for Sean Taylor...

Old
04-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
The one thing that might save Eli with the current Giants OL, is that he's a very smart player, and can sell the run very well.

I think the price was a bit steep, but I give them credit for doing what it takes to get the player they want. I think with the skill players we currently have, we could have a decent team.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:25 PM
NYR2

Happy about Eli, but I agree with everyone else that they gave up too much.

Old
04-24-2004, 04:26 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
The one thing that might save Eli with the current Giants OL, is that he's a very smart player, and can sell the run very well.

I think the price was a bit steep, but I give them credit for doing what it takes to get the player they want. I think with the skill players we currently have, we could have a decent team.
they can be more than decent, i think they've got the talent to go 10-6 if they can stay healthy and get a reasonable improvement on the offensive line.

Old
04-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Well, with pick-up of Snee with their 2nd pick, my confidence level is inching higher. I have questions about the def. secondary, but at least the line looks better and better!

Old
04-24-2004, 05:15 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
Well, with pick-up of Snee with their 2nd pick, my confidence level is inching higher. I have questions about the def. secondary, but at least the line looks better and better!
Allen and Peterson are still 2 of the best young corners in the league and williams is till a very good strong saftey. I think the secondary, if it's healthy, is solid.

Old
04-24-2004, 06:48 PM
kasper11

Quote:
they can be more than decent, i think they've got the talent to go 10-6 if they can stay healthy and get a reasonable improvement on the offensive line.
I actually think they can be a good team this year, that is why I don't like the trade. They have some stars, and adding 3-4 solid starters could be the difference in making them a true contender. Now their first, Manning, probably won't play this year, and they have no third. Snee will help, but if you look, had they traded down they could have gotten a middle linebacker (Lehman was taken by Detroit with the pick they got from Cleveland) to replace Barrow. Add in a first and third rounder to those two and you are looking at a very good team.

Old
04-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Eli is the real deal. he will be the Gints franchise QB for the next ten years... were three picks too much to give up for that? (my first thought was yes, but after reconsidering i dont think so)

apparantly i am the only one who thinks this is great... everyone on ESPN radio is saying collins is GONE and Eli starts this year. Collins is due 7 or 8 mil this year so tough to have both i guess, but i would rather see Collins for one more year and let the kid ease into the job. thoughts?

anybody see the topless girl at the draft that only had a sign hanging from her ..um...

(*)(*)'s ??

holy schneikees..those were the best picks in the draft!!

Old
04-24-2004, 10:10 PM
nyr7andcounting

EA really screwed up!

1. Manning is a good QB and will most likely become a pro-bowl QB, BUT we did have Philip Rivers who I think could be just as good. Was it worth giving up next year's 1st rounder just to swap those 2, I don't think so. If they were dead set on getting a QB they could have traded down no later than one pick past the Steelers and almost assured themselves either Big Ben or Rivers, both of whom many have rated as high or higher than Eli.

2. Common sense tells you that they only selected Rivers 4th to trade him for Manning. With that said, what was the point of taking Rivers 4th when we could have traded down the the Browns or another team before the Steelers and taken Rivers then? We would have picked up atleast an extra 2nd round pick, not to mention Rivers would be cheaper for SD to sign which would keep them happy.

3. Manning could BECOME a good QB. As far as this year is concerned, either Manning is backup and doesn't help our team much OR Collins is out and Manning starts, thus arguably downgrading us at the QB position this year. Obviously the future is important, but this trade doesn't make the Giants better this year.

4. Going into the draft with top 4 picks in each of the first 3 rounds, and coming out with Eli and Chris Snee is embarassing. If you look at the Giants roster as of Saturday morning, neither a QB nor a G was needed. Collins is the starting QB, and Diehl and Seubert are the starting guards. Snee might develop into a good player, but right now we currently have 2 young G's on the roster so what good does Snee do us?

Accorsi sucks.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Burberry Manning

My favorite athlete of all-time, aside from Michael Tyson, is Eli Manning. He is an amazing quarterback, and most importantly he is a real cool guy and someone who I can relate with. He got arrested for public drunkeness his freshman year, and rumors were that he stayed his senior year just because he loved the Greek an party scene in school so much. Also,a few years ago he was rumored to be dating Britney Spears. That actually fits my personality pretty well. Good athlete,ladies man, and a party guy.

Trust me, he is going to be insanely good and much more marketable than Peyton. Before this year I never had a "favorite" football team even though I went to 5-6 Giant games every year. This fall I made a committment that whatever team Eli wound up on, that would be the team I would pledge my allegiance to, and my God I am happy Eli wound up as a Giant. Broadway Eli has arrived.

As for the trade, it wasn't too bad. Next year's first could very well be later in the round, as it is unlikely that Giant fans will see Big Blue picking so high in the future. Plus this year's draft is RIDICULOUSLY deep, so an early 2nd in this draft is not too far off in value from a late 1st next year. The bottom line is that when you have the chance to add a franchise caliber player at a marquee position, you dont hesitate.

Last edited by Burberry Manning: 04-24-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old
04-24-2004, 10:20 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
1. Manning is a good QB and will most likely become a pro-bowl QB, BUT we did have Philip Rivers who I think could be just as good. Was it worth giving up next year's 1st rounder just to swap those 2, I don't think so. If they were dead set on getting a QB they could have traded down no later than one pick past the Steelers and almost assured themselves either Big Ben or Rivers, both of whom many have rated as high or higher than Eli.

2. Common sense tells you that they only selected Rivers 4th to trade him for Manning. With that said, what was the point of taking Rivers 4th when we could have traded down the the Browns or another team before the Steelers and taken Rivers then? We would have picked up atleast an extra 2nd round pick, not to mention Rivers would be cheaper for SD to sign which would keep them happy.

3. Manning could BECOME a good QB. As far as this year is concerned, either Manning is backup and doesn't help our team much OR Collins is out and Manning starts, thus arguably downgrading us at the QB position this year. Obviously the future is important, but this trade doesn't make the Giants better this year.

4. Going into the draft with top 4 picks in each of the first 3 rounds, and coming out with Eli and Chris Snee is embarassing. If you look at the Giants roster as of Saturday morning, neither a QB nor a G was needed. Collins is the starting QB, and Diehl and Seubert are the starting guards. Snee might develop into a good player, but right now we currently have 2 young G's on the roster so what good does Snee do us?

Accorsi sucks.
diehl is worthless, though i think our need is more pressing at tackle than it is at gaurd.

Old
04-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:

Accorsi sucks.
You either dont watch college football, or you just dont know what you are talking about. I am hesitant to disect all of your statements for fear that I would embarrass you too much. I will politely dismiss your statements and chuckle to myself.

Old
04-25-2004, 01:35 AM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Anyone a little worried about Nick Griesen at MLB next year? Cutting Barrow was tough, but necessary considering how little cap room they have. I have calmed down a bit after cursing Accorsi and accepted that Manning may be great in the long run, but I would have loved shoring up the defense and trading down in the draft. I would not have minded taking Taylor at 4, or trading down for more 2nd's and take MLB Vilma, or add D-line help with any of the many good DT's available. After losing Griffin and Hamilton I am very worried about our middle with William Joseph doing nothing last year, and Fred Robbins. We basically need help everywhere, but I am feeling better about the Manning trade as time passes...

Old
04-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I am a college football fan (LSU), and I am not at all sold on Eli Manning. Good? Yes. He's good. But I honestly think he was the third best QB in the draft this year, and I would have seriously considered taking Ell Roberson or the Pittsburgh QB over him, but I don't know if they're in the draft this year.

All in all, I think teams got suckered in because he's named Manning. I just don't think it's EVER a good idea to spend a whole lot of assets on a young QB. So many of the good QBs in this league weren't drafted in the first round, and so many first round QBs end up as busts. It just isn't worth the risk.

Old
04-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Davisian

Quote:
diehl is worthless, though i think our need is more pressing at tackle than it is at gaurd.
Not only do I think you're very wrong about Diehl, it seems like he may now switch to Right Tackle to give the G-men a very tough, young line.

I love the deal. yes, it sucks to lose the first next year, but A) Snee was projected to be a 1st this year B) Its the kind of bold move the Giants never do, but needed C) Manning very much looks to be worth it. Of course, this all has to play out now, but I for one love it.

The Giants obviusly have other holes to fill on the other sideof the ball, but that's where day 2 and post draft free agents come in.

And BTW- All reports suggest that this was not only an Accorsi pick, that all of the Mara's, and Coughlin wanted Eli.

Old
04-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Fitzlax99

If Accorsi had played his cards right, he probably could have traded down at least once or twice, maybe even three times before he took Rivers.

Getting Eli is a great move, both for the future of the team on the field and for the PR. They overpayed, bigtime, though. The Giants are no lock for anything next year (though I think they will be better than last year) and the Chargers could end up with a top 10 pick.

Personally, I wanted Taylor once Gallery was gone.

Old
04-25-2004, 05:39 PM
nyr7andcounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
You either dont watch college football, or you just dont know what you are talking about. I am hesitant to disect all of your statements for fear that I would embarrass you too much. I will politely dismiss your statements and chuckle to myself.
Go ahead I don't take what people say to me on message boards that seriously..... I watch every Giants game and try and watch as much College as I can.

Manning will be good, maybe great, but Rivers and Big Ben certainly can be good Qb's as well. I don't think it was worth what we gave up to get him instead of Rivers. Accorsi could have gone about acquiring Manning in a much more profitable way by trading down in order to select Rivers, who obviously was going to be traded to San Diego. Doesn't make much sense to me to take Rivers 4th, when you can take him 7th and get a 2nd round pick. That second rounder would atleast cancel out the 3rd we gave up this year and would give us 2 picks at the start of the 2nd round.

By saying I don't watch college football I am guessing that you think I don't see any value in these players. But that's not the case....I said I didn't see why we got a guard in Snee when we need a tackle more and have other wholes to fill at the same time. Also Snee's relationship with Coughlin's daughter makes me worry about why this pick was made.

Old
04-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Edge

Ah football the new American pastime..... I'm moving to Canada......

Old
04-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Also Snee's relationship with Coughlin's daughter makes me worry about why this pick was made.
interesting...what relationship? I never heard about it. I was reading a few places that the Giants shouldve picked Justin Smiley (alabama) who was rated higher.

Old
04-25-2004, 08:45 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Ah football the new American pastime..... I'm moving to Canada......
it's not like hockey ever was anyway. Though i'm guessing most of the people here would count it at as there #1 sport.

Closed Thread