HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2/22/10 watching the game last night was like....

View Poll Results: watching the game last night was like....
watching your 09-10 Edmonton Oilers season (fast motion) 26 27.08%
a horror movie 5 5.21%
watching my hopes and dreams crash 6 6.25%
meh 5 5.21%
It the Olympics, it doesn't do much for me 4 4.17%
a little dissapointing, but its not over yet 48 50.00%
other, please explain 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
anjoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to anjoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
Puck Daddy's blog

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,221169

is what makes me HATE Americans in Sports (note: I said "in sports"). I realize Canadian FANS/MEDIA downplayed Team USA and were arrogantly assuming a CAN vs. RUS Final, yes Team USA beat Team Canada on the score sheet but to be singing like its an Anthem: Team USA is far-and-away a superior team is just moronic.

Here is something else: On 12 OCT 2009 the EDM OILERS beat NSH PREDATORS 6-1, on 19 NOV EDM beat COL 6-4, 3 DEC 2009 EDM beat DET 4-1.
I suppose the Oilers are better than all 3 of those playoff teams....wait, last I checked EDM was in 30th place in the NHL.

I am not trying to take away from Team USA's win over Canada, I can imagine how glorious it was, but I think the majority of US fans would (to some extent) agree with this statement: MILLER DOWNS CANADA, TEAM USA WATCHED.

A bit of a dick move to take a jab at Crosby because of TC's loss. Puck Daddy lives in DC and covers the Capitals, obviously he thinks more of Ovechkin and Crosby but common man....

After writing all this, I realize Puck Daddy was probably just trying to get a rise out of Canadians (he certainly got one out of me)
Puck Daddy: Greg Wyshynski

Writer of that post: Ryan Lambert

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

It's funny how Americans all of a sudden not just talk about, but apparently care about hockey.

Hopefully the USA loses in the quarter finals, the country goes back to not caring, and everything returns to normal.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
It's funny how Americans all of a sudden not just talk about, but apparently care about hockey.

Hopefully the USA loses in the quarter finals, the country goes back to not caring, and everything returns to normal.
Maybe a Gold medal would be a good thing for hockey.

I'm all for the USA being the number one hockey superpower if they can go out and start bringing in tons of talented players.

The more talented players out there, the better overall the hockey in the NHL will be.

Just look at how some of the guys who dominate in the NHL look average or terrible when playing against these stacked teams.

Canada will always content for the Gold no matter what. Let the best team win and give credit to the victors for what they accomplished IMO.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaoil View Post
When I saw the team picked I said they wouldn't win it.

There is to much politics going on in Hockey Canada.

Luongo right now is the best goalie we have.

Sure Perry is a fine player and has chemistry but he is not better than more than a few players not playing.

Morrow again is on the team because of politics.

Boyle ahead of Boumeester? Greene? Greene should have been there even if he only saw the PP!

Both Boyle and Marleau should not be there. Sure they are fine players again who do well on a stacked team in NHL play, but this is stacked teams of the best and they do not belong here above others.

There has been to much of picking a player and then his linemate to come along as well, instead of taking the best of the best and fitting them together.

Isn't that what got us 7th in 06'? Picking the best players and trying to put them together?

Morrow is deserving of his roster spot, every team needs a checking line and he is one of the best there is around. Perry, maybe could have been replaced. But how much better would the team actually be? Perry is a pretty good hockey player and his familiarity with Getzlaff is valuable.

The sharks line has been one of our best line so far. they combined for 9 points so far.

I'm not comfortable with an unproven big game goalie in the net in the big games that are going to be around the corner. Luongo has choked in the Playoffs the last 2 years. I believe both in game 7's where he was directly responsible for the loss. I'd much rather have MAF in the net than Luongo.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
[/b]

Isn't that what got us 7th in 06'? Picking the best players and trying to put them together?
You pick the great players and assemble a team, not pick a few great players and bring along their linemates who happen to be good against weaker competition but get exposed against the great players other teams bring.

It is absolute arrogance to think we can bring anything but the best of our best to a man, and win.

Old
02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
You pick the great players and assemble a team, not pick a few great players and bring along their linemates who happen to be good against weaker competition but get exposed against the great players other teams bring.
You don't think that 60+ games of chemistry is valuable in such a short tournament? Sure there is a point where if you are bringing Iginla your not going to bring Daymond Langkow.

Really they only did this with:

Heatley Marleau Thornton

and

Seabrook Keith

The sharks have 5 goals and 9 points so it hard to argue that as a bad decision.

And the Hawks have 2 points and are +3.

Sure Seabrook has only played 25 minutes, maybe Green could have took his spot and just soaked up PP minutes but I don't really see it making a difference at this point.

For a country that claims could ice 2 medal contending teams If we lose its not because of the team that was selected, it will be because of the team that played.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
You don't think that 60+ games of chemistry is valuable in such a short tournament? Sure there is a point where if you are bringing Iginla your not going to bring Daymond Langkow.

Really they only did this with:

Heatley Marleau Thornton

and

Seabrook Keith
How can you say only with those guys and leave out Perry/Getzlaf especially when I have been singling out Perry as undeserving of being here?

Boyle also is on the team with the SJ connection.

That's a huge chunk of the team here because they have familiarity with other players, not because they are the best Canada has to offer.

Seeing as we are losing games and barley beating weak teams familiarity doesn't overcome ability at this level.

Old
02-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
How can you say only with those guys and leave out Perry/Getzlaf especially when I have been singling out Perry as undeserving of being here?

Boyle also is on the team with the SJ connection.

That's a huge chunk of the team here because they have familiarity with other players, not because they are the best Canada has to offer.

Seeing as we are losing games and barley beating weak teams familiarity doesn't overcome ability at this level.
Yes sorry Perry/Getzlaf. Getzlaf is a lock even with a so/so ankle. Perry again probably benefited from playing with Getzlaff, but he is still not out of place at all in this tournament. He was even in the game against the Americans and is even in the tournament. He's not my favorite player but I don't think you can put someone in his place that would be better giving his familiarity with Getzlaf.

Boyle isn't here because of his SJ connection. I think he would be on the team without that, but it helps.

Lets see losing and barely beating weak teams. Who was at fault in those games? Against USA you could say Broduer, Nash -3, Crosby -3. Then look at Seabrook +1 1A, and Morrow +1. 2 players you think don't belong. Stall was the only other + player. Against Switzerland Marleau and Heatley of the San Jose Sharks both had a goal and an assist. That line won the game, the rest of the team sent it to a SO.

Obviously not everyone is going to be happy every time Canada puts together a Mens hockey team. There are so many choices and really there really isn't a wrong choice, just different choices, different strategies.

Old
02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
MDupont

You should make these polls public..more fun seeing who said what...

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:33 AM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
You should make these polls public..more fun seeing who said what...
I worry that that would encourage or enable posters to make more personal attacks so I've been avoiding making the polls public. Most everyone here is super duper awesome most of the time, but occassionally I ask a question that gets a little too heated and if I catch someone on a bad day or something, things can go awry.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 08:57 AM
semenko27

Lets hope an extra game against what should be a weaker opponent proves to be the boost we need to get back on track. The PP has dissapointed me the most so far.

semenko27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
4th_Liner

i don't really care about how now they'll meet with russia in quarters rather than later.. it's gold or fail, so it doesn't matter when you beat them..

i am pretty nervours about what traditionally has set us apart from the rest of the world, goalies and d-men, has been a huge failure so far and there doesn't seem to be any pronger/blake/niedermayer/mccinnis in the pipeline either..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote