HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquisitions (Trade Deadline or Otherwise) V

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Acquisitions (Trade Deadline or Otherwise) V

Down the stretch they come.

Trade freeze lifts on 3/1 @ 12a.m. eastern.

Old thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=737241

Old
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Strickland reporting that Kaberle may be ready to move:
Quote:
People close to Toronto Maple Leafs D-man Tomas Kaberle tell me hes privately indicated hes ready to waive his no-trade and move on from Toronto. He continues to only want to stay in the Eastern Conference. Will that change?
Makes sense given that he won't have control over his destination come this summer, assuming Burke is indeed looking to move him.
I suspect Kaberle's prior stance was no less a smokescreen than Waddel's stance of not wanting to move his rentals (Kubina). If I'm right, I would endorse this following sequence of trades:

Part A:

To TOR:
R Fehr, Eric 85 $0.8, '10 RFA
D Alzner, Karl 88 $1.7, ELC
First Round Draft Pick 2010

To WSH:
D Kaberle, Tomas 78 $4.25, '11 UFA
L Ponikarovsky, Alexei 80 $2.11, '10 UFA

Part B:

To ATL:
C Fleischmann, Tomas 84 $0.73, '10 RFA
L Osala, Oskar 87 $0.85, ELC
2nd Round Draft Pick 2011

To WSH:
D Kubina, Pavel 77 $5, '10 UFA
C Antropov, Nik 80 $4, '11 UFA
R Armstrong, Colby 25 $2.4, '10 UFA

Resulting Roster

Ovy - Backs - Knuble
Poni - Antropov - Semin
Laich - Morrison - Armstrong
Bradley - Steckel/Gordon - Chimera

Shultz - Green
Kaberle - Kubina
Pothier - Poti
Morrisonn/Erskine

Varly
Theo

As for next season, of those newly acquired, I'd keep both Antro and Kabs and whichever of UFAs Armstrong, Poni, or Kubina were affordable. If none of those latter three would fit under the cap, then so be it. The almost guaranteed cup from this season would would soothe any pains from any of these players eventually departing.

Old
02-22-2010, 04:39 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I suspect Kaberle's prior stance was no less a smokescreen than Waddel's stance of not wanting to move his rentals (Kubina). If I'm right, I would endorse this following sequence of trades:

Part A:

To TOR:

To WSH:

Part B:

To ATL:

To WSH:

Resulting Roster

Ovy - Backs - Knuble
Poni - Antropov - Semin

Shultz - Green
Kaberle - Kubina
Pothier - Poti
Morrisonn/Erskine

Varly
Theo

As for next season, of those newly acquired, I'd keep both Antro and Kabs and whichever of UFAs Armstrong, Poni, or Kubina were affordable. If none of those latter three would fit under the cap, then so be it. The almost guaranteed cup from this season would would soothe any pains from any of these players eventually departing.
That would take a lot to fall in place but that would be a RIDICULOUS lineup for the playoffs. We would be clear-cut favorites (in our eyes not anyone else's because of the goaltending).

Old
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Too much turnover to a tight locker room.

I thought I was pushing it was adding just Flash.

Old
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

Part A:

To TOR:

To WSH:

Part B:

To ATL:

To WSH:

Resulting Roster

Ovy - Backs - Knuble
Poni - Antropov - Semin

Shultz - Green
Kaberle - Kubina
Pothier - Poti
Morrisonn/Erskine

Varly
Theo

Replace Fehr with Flash in that first proposal, and I'm onboard.

If Kaberle is willing to waive his no-trade for an Eastern team...what team might that be? The Devils just blew their load. The Pens haven't the cap space. The only team that has space outside of Washington that is currently in the playoffs is Tampa Bay.

Old
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ovie - Backstrom - Knuble
Ponikarovsky - Laich - Semin
Chimera - Morrison - Fehr
Bradley - Steckel - Gordon

Kaberle - Green
Schultz - Poti
Morrisonn - Pothier

Old
02-22-2010, 04:56 PM
txpd

wondering who would be on Kaberle's list. That will make a difference. If Washington isn't on the list, we can stop now.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wondering who would be on Kaberle's list. That will make a difference. If Washington isn't on the list, we can stop now.
I hope so.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Kaberle - Green
Schultz - Poti
Morrisonn - Pothier
Schultz-Green
Kaberle-Poti
Morrisonn-Pothier

Is better balanced. And maybe gets Green down to 25 minutes down the stretch and beyond.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Replace Fehr with Flash in that first proposal, and I'm onboard.

If Kaberle is willing to waive his no-trade for an Eastern team...what team might that be? The Devils just blew their load. The Pens haven't the cap space. The only team that has space outside of Washington that is currently in the playoffs is Tampa Bay.

NJD still has lots of space, especially on Mar 3. They need Kabs just as much as WSH and have the assets to deal.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:28 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Too much turnover to a tight locker room.

I thought I was pushing it was adding just Flash.

Too much turnover? WSH would only be moving two roster players (Flash & Fehr). The rest are prospects and picks.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:32 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
That would take a lot to fall in place but that would be a RIDICULOUS lineup for the playoffs. We would be clear-cut favorites (in our eyes not anyone else's because of the goaltending).

To these eyes, Varly already proved himself during last season's mini-run. If anything else is required, it would be to replace Theodore and in that regard, adding the Moose from ATL would suffice.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Not so much about turnover as it is adding 5 guys to the roster. That's a lot to add for a team that seems to have great chemistry and is currently leading the league. This is a revamp, not fine-tuning. I could see a good team that has been playing poorly and is on the bubble doing these, but not us. I could see us doing one. Personally, I'd rather do the Atlanta deal, but I think it will take more to get all 3 of those guys. I mean, is Antropov even available. I'm not sure if I'd want him. He always seemed to be a Zubrus clone to me. Though he was on fire early on in Atlanta, he has since cooled off.

Personally, I'd be just fine with Kubina alone for Flash and a 1st. We can get a depth winger with some snarl in a smaller seperate deal, and just go with the C's we have.

Old
02-22-2010, 05:59 PM
pman25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I hope so.
Kaberle is one of the best defensemen in the league. Its not like we HAVE to get a physical defensemen. It's just as valuable to have a defensemen with a great outlet pass. And I always thought McPhee preferred puck movers to physicality. A defensemen who could do both would be ideal. But I would welcome Kaberle to the Capitals for the right price. Also, Kaberle doesn't havethe same style as Mike Green. Kaberle is offensive, like Mike, but Mike rushes the puck out of the zone (often resulting in him being out of position) while Kaberle passes the puck out of the zone.

Anyways, anyone think of maybe Fleischmann+ for Kaberle? I would like to keep Flash but LW is kind of crowded and I think this would be the only way to land Kaberle

Old
02-22-2010, 06:01 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
It seems a top notch puck mover is widely accepted as to what this team lacks. I do admit we are thin on offense defensively behind Green. And admit Kaberle is an elite talented defensemen in the NHL. But I actually see most of our defense moving up pucks enough to win a boat load of games, and score a ton of goals. It just seems the forwards are a player in the lack of a smooth outlet. Reading the leafs boards, it seems Kabs play in the defense zone is suspect. And its not just one rabid poster either. Is this true?

If so, I may prefer a defensemen that can shut down top notch forwards, and chip it out. At the end of the day, they will have the puck, and our defensemen have to stop them. you know, actually play defense. Thats where we struggle in my opinion.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:11 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It seems a top notch puck mover is widely accepted as to what this team lacks. I do admit we are thin on offense defensively behind Green. And admit Kaberle is an elite talented defensemen in the NHL. But I actually see most of our defense moving up pucks enough to win a boat load of games, and score a ton of goals. It just seems the forwards are a player in the lack of a smooth outlet. Reading the leafs boards, it seems Kabs play in the defense zone is suspect. And its not just one rabid poster either. Is this true?

If so, I may prefer a defensemen that can shut down top notch forwards, and chip it out. At the end of the day, they will have the puck, and our defensemen have to stop them. you know, actually play defense. Thats where we struggle in my opinion.
Kaberle isn't a defensive defenseman per se, but he's leagues better than the Caps' last 3 and would fit their system like a glove. He's the best overall available D-man and he still has a year on a cap-friendly contract.

I'd be very disappointed if he was available and McPhee didn't make a major push.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:13 PM
txpd

I wouldn't believe the Leafs board on this. I watched him playing Olympic games and he hasn't look weak in his own end. The leafs are losing. That never makes a player look good. Fans also have a way of making perfectly good players into scapegoats.

IIRC Capitals fans ran Larry Murphy out of town for not being so good in his own end. Turns that that was a mistaken impression. If Kaberle is a one way offensive player, McPhee isn't going to make the deal. He can't get his assets worth or money's worth out of that kind of defenseman with Green taking up all the ice time.

My view is that Kaberle is an elite defenseman with offensive skills. Not an offensive defenseman.

For play in their own zone only it would be a mistake to think Andy Sutton is better then Tomas Kaberle.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
pgreene

if both czech k's were available to the caps (and i don't think at least one of them is), would you take kubina or kaberle?

unfortunately, i'd vote for the guy less likely to be available--kubina.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
The Viking Fury

No Kaberle.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

If McPhee can talk Waddell out of Kubina, I would be very pleased.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:25 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
if both czech k's were available to the caps (and i don't think at least one of them is), would you take kubina or kaberle?

unfortunately, i'd vote for the guy less likely to be available--kubina.
Kubina, if it meant keeping Alzner.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
If McPhee can talk Waddell out of Kubina, I would be very pleased.
that's kinda why i think it's unlikely he'd be offered to us. assuming we could resign him (which may or may not be a big assumption), waddell would be significantly strengthening a divisional foe for the foreseeable future. even if he makes his own team better... i just wouldn't bet on even the great makfi being able to pull that one off.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:38 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
that's kinda why i think it's unlikely he'd be offered to us. assuming we could resign him (which may or may not be a big assumption), waddell would be significantly strengthening a divisional foe for the foreseeable future. even if he makes his own team better... i just wouldn't bet on even the great makfi being able to pull that one off.
Kubina is an UFA.

Old
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Semin

If there was a way to get Kubina from Atlanta without giving up Alzner/Carlson? Who would you think it would take.

Flash, first, Gustafsson?

Old
02-22-2010, 06:45 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Kubina is an UFA.
hence the qualifier from my post that you didn't bold.

Closed Thread