HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Auld available on re-entry waivers (Claimed by Rangers)

Old
02-26-2010, 03:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Alex Auld available on re-entry waivers (Claimed by Rangers)

With Auld on re-entry waivers we'll know by tomorrow afternoon if Poile is looking for a cheap, but proven, backup as a precursor to trading Ellis. I doubt we pick Alex up off the trash heap .... but .........

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
With Auld on re-entry waivers we'll know by tomorrow afternoon if Poile is looking for a cheap, but proven, backup as a precursor to trading Ellis. I doubt we pick Alex up off the trash heap .... but .........
You're thinking the same thing I did. If they picked him up, Ellis is traded, maybe to Dallas for a pick.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:16 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

the problem with that is that Auld isn't really capable of carrying the load if Rinne falters. If Rinne was playing like he did last season, I could definitely see it. I just don't think we can afford to lose Ellis right now.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
You're thinking the same thing I did. If they picked him up, Ellis is traded, maybe to Dallas for a pick.
If we pick up Auld, Ellis is traded for a lot more than a pick. The Stars aren't looking for a goalie right now ... they've decided to run with Turco and Lehtonen.

Auld was assigned to Cedar Park. I'll look for him in the building. Doubt he's playing.

Old
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
If we pick up Auld, Ellis is traded for a lot more than a pick. The Stars aren't looking for a goalie right now ... they've decided to run with Turco and Lehtonen.

Auld was assigned to Cedar Park. I'll look for him in the building. Doubt he's playing.
http://twitter.com/TSNBobmckenzie

Reentry waivers already.

Old
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
http://twitter.com/TSNBobmckenzie

Reentry waivers already.
I know ..... "With Auld on re-entry waivers we'll know by tomorrow afternoon..............."

Old
02-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

I'd say there's a 0.01% chance we claim Auld. Probably even less than that

Ellis is not going to be traded. Auld is garbage.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:06 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
the problem with claiming Auld is it removes most of poiles leverage as a trading partner would know poile would be in a bind.

If Ellis is to be moved I suspect poile will do it first then try to pick up another goalie after, while fully prepared to bring up Dekanich and simply commit to playing Rinne for 20 straight games if necessary. Its not like Pekka wont be rested...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
I know ..... "With Auld on re-entry waivers we'll know by tomorrow afternoon..............."

I would be surprised if he's claimed. You might just get to see him. Not sure there is a market for him.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:30 PM
echlfreak

Auld

Auld is on re-entry waivers. Nashville could pick him up at half price and make Ellis expendable. $500 cap hit vs 1.75 cap hit would save Nashville 1.25 cap hit (I know it is less at this point in the season) but the money saved could give the Preds the opportunity to use that money on a good forward and Auld would be a good fit for Nashville even next year.

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

It would be a good idea if Auld hadn't played like crap all year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

We already have two streaky netminders. Do we really need to pick up a goalie who is seemingly going through a season long bad streak? Just keep Ellis if this is the option. At least he just goes through blocks of bad games.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Auld is on re-entry waivers. Nashville could pick him up at half price and make Ellis expendable. $500 cap hit vs 1.75 cap hit would save Nashville 1.25 cap hit (I know it is less at this point in the season) but the money saved could give the Preds the opportunity to use that money on a good forward and Auld would be a good fit for Nashville even next year.
This is already being discussed here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=723346&page=22

And my answer is no, Auld is garbage.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Auld has a good record at home, but, isn't the goalie we need. The only way we pick him up is if Poile has decided to ride Rinne to the finish with about 18 of the last 21 games started by Pekka and there is already a decent deal in place (in principal at least) for Ellis.

Didn't see Auld in Cedar Park tonight.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Auld would cost the team about $113k for the remainder of the season. Doubt we pick him up. Even if we do, not a huge hit even if there isn't a deal in place for Ellis already. Don't see him getting picked up ... I expect to see Alex in Cedar Park this Sunday if only as an observer from the press box.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
This is already being discussed here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=723346&page=22
Yeah, I decided to move that discussion into this thread to keep it all nice and neat...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Seth Lake

There is no way we pickup Auld to move Ellis...that is not gonna happen. Poile knows that depth in nets is one of our strengths and one of the best areas to have depth heading down the stretch. Auld simply is a downgrade at the position and could leave us high and dry should Pekka falter or be injured heading down the stretch...

Furthermore, as he showed two years ago against Detroit...Ellis has the potential to steal a series in the playoffs. AFAIK, Auld has never shown that ability...

Old
02-26-2010, 11:33 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
There is no way we pickup Auld to move Ellis...that is not gonna happen. Poile knows that depth in nets is one of our strengths and one of the best areas to have depth heading down the stretch. Auld simply is a downgrade at the position and could leave us high and dry should Pekka falter or be injured heading down the stretch...

Furthermore, as he showed two years ago against Detroit...Ellis has the potential to steal a series in the playoffs. AFAIK, Auld has never shown that ability...
As I've said repeatedly .. don't think it happens. The only way is if Poile has a good deal in place for Ellis (say for that mythical rental scorer we keep pining for) and needs somebody to backup Rinne and start maybe 3 games down the stretch. It's just too risky .... and I fully expect to see Auld as a member of the Texas Stars after he clears re-entry waivers tomorrow.

Old
02-27-2010, 09:17 AM
codeyh

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Ellis isn't going anywhere, we don't have anyone in the system ready to be the #2. Rinne doesn't have playoff experience wither, so having Dan around can help him navigate through that first round...

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:08 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Like 101st is trying to say. The ONLY way Nashville picks up Auld is if Poile got a Godfather offer in the Olympic break, agreed to it, and then scrambled to find a goalie.

Old
02-27-2010, 10:56 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:

He actually had a series that very much rivaled Ellis's Detroit series, in 03-04. He was made the starting goaltender of the Canucks about halfway through the season, when Cloutier had season-ending surgery. Auld carried the Canucks to the playoffs, and took them 7 games against the eventual WC champs, the Calgary Flames(a series ended with an OT goal by Martin Gelinas, btw). Following the lockout, Cloutier was again injured, and Auld was the starter much of the year, and was even named team MVP by his teammates.

So while I would rather have Ellis than Auld, and am not advocating we make that swap...Auld has had as much starting experience(in fact, a bit more) than Ellis, and has had the same level of playoff "success."

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I didn't see Auld in the building last night during the game at Cedar Park.

Old
02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Seth Lake

Claimed by NYR

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/9736819286

Old
02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
The big unknown remains if we put in a claim and it was unsuccessful due to the Rangers lower place in the standings .... not that we'll ever hear one way or the other from Poile.

Old
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Bad Karma

Man what is it about the Rags, that they get a lot of Dallas' trash.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote