HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Who is this guy?

Old
02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Brenton Williams

vCash: 500
Haha I was wondering the same thing. I saw him at the medal ceremony for Maille Ricker.

Brenton Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:48 PM
paulica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 728702 View Post
Eh, no he's not. He's Dave Ash from Dash Tours out of Regina, he's at a lot of Rider Games, and was at the World Juniors at Regina.

http://www.dashtours.com/

Rod Pedersen, (voice of the Roughriders, works for Regina Radio, CKRM) put it in his blog

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2010...ations_19.html

EDIT:^^^Ya, what Gump said.
Case closed

paulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:49 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Or the fact that we love it and play it a lot. Not sure why this offends people. Hockey can be their game too if they want. The slogan is meant to say that hockey is the most important sport in Canada not that we're the only ones good at it.
Yeah, exactly. Hockey is probably the only thing that can bring ALL of Canada together.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:59 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
A buddy of mine pointed him out earlier in the tournament. This guy is living the hockey fan's dream!

There's a red "cherry" colored light flashing on his head.
Ok, I guess I can get that. I just call it red. I thought maybe someone was trying to bash on Don Cherry again. I'm getting really tired of that.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:18 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakzed View Post
Every time I may begin to warm to Canadian hockey teams I see someone like him and decide I would rather see anyone else win. Go Canada go etc is fine, the whole "hockey is our game" drives me nuts.
The only reason that you're offended by statements like "hockey is our game" is because you're looking to be offended by them.

Canadians referring to hockey as our sport is based more on a unifying sentiment than it is meant to alienate or intimidate non-Canadians. This country has very few things that unite the unique and profoundly differing regions that make it up. If I had to make a list cultural ties that are shared between Vancouver, Edmonton, Moose Jaw, Regina, Prince Albert, Winnepeg, North Bay, the Ottawa Valley, the GTA, Otter Lake, Montreal, Quebec City, Cape Breton and St. John's, the list would start with a passion for hockey. I would have to think long and hard about anything that followed it, because no other possible answers are anywhere near as obvious (if one valid second option even exists).

It's true that hockey is merely a game, but the cultural importance and unifying effect it brings to Canadians makes this game stand as something more important to us Canadians that hold passion for it.

When we say things like "hockey is our game", we are speaking to our fellow Canadians more than we are speaking to outsiders. It's much more of a rallying call for Canadians to unify in pride than it is a statement of disdain meant to alienate other countries that are playing it.

I don't mean to imply that there isn't a minority of Canadian hockey fans that are immodestly boastful, or resentful, or extremely closed-minded when faced with the reality of spreading interest in the sport, or the leveling out of the national competitions as other countries become more successful. However, any large group of people will contain idiots and idiots tend to hold and voice idiotic opinions.

As a Canadian, I'll proudly say that hockey is our game. I'm not saying that to make you or anybody else feel alienated. I'm not saying it to imply that people from Russia, the Czech Republic, the U.S. or Austrailia shouldn't play it (it's a great sport, I'd love to see more people play it). It's not meant to imply that Canada will dominate every single national game they will play for the rest of eternity. I'm not saying it to deny the losses of the past. I'm saying it because there is no other game that holds the importance to Canadians that hockey does.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Steven

vCash: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post
i think superfan is a pretty cool guy

eh holds signs and doesn't afraid of anything
YES! haha

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:34 AM
ronnyweed

Quote:
That's not passionate. That's arrogant with a healthy dose of forgetfulness it becomes an insufferable trait. I would never begrudge Canadian fans for cheering their teams or saying that they feel that their team is the favorite or even the best team, but stuff like "hockey is our game" and the whole we're going to smash everyone attitude that people in Canada take drives me crazy. That is all.
If you invented something, I wouldnt be mad if you called it yours, especially if you shared it with the world.

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Heatleys Eye

he's not stupid though

He's selling tickets that he got for cheap for way above face value

He offered me $4400 for the seat beside him for the GOLD medal game on Sunday and wanted me to carry his stuff around....Front row seats.

He also sells Molson hockey house tickets for 4 times face value and if he is getting them at face he is pocketing about $300-400 a ticket times at least 10-15 he said he had.

So for anyone wondering how he's affording to be there - now you know

Heatleys Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:28 AM
jakzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post
The only reason that you're offended by statements like "hockey is our game" is because you're looking to be offended by them.

Canadians referring to hockey as our sport is based more on a unifying sentiment than it is meant to alienate or intimidate non-Canadians. This country has very few things that unite the unique and profoundly differing regions that make it up. If I had to make a list cultural ties that are shared between Vancouver, Edmonton, Moose Jaw, Regina, Prince Albert, Winnepeg, North Bay, the Ottawa Valley, the GTA, Otter Lake, Montreal, Quebec City, Cape Breton and St. John's, the list would start with a passion for hockey. I would have to think long and hard about anything that followed it, because no other possible answers are anywhere near as obvious (if one valid second option even exists).

It's true that hockey is merely a game, but the cultural importance and unifying effect it brings to Canadians makes this game stand as something more important to us Canadians that hold passion for it.

When we say things like "hockey is our game", we are speaking to our fellow Canadians more than we are speaking to outsiders. It's much more of a rallying call for Canadians to unify in pride than it is a statement of disdain meant to alienate other countries that are playing it.

I don't mean to imply that there isn't a minority of Canadian hockey fans that are immodestly boastful, or resentful, or extremely closed-minded when faced with the reality of spreading interest in the sport, or the leveling out of the national competitions as other countries become more successful. However, any large group of people will contain idiots and idiots tend to hold and voice idiotic opinions.

As a Canadian, I'll proudly say that hockey is our game. I'm not saying that to make you or anybody else feel alienated. I'm not saying it to imply that people from Russia, the Czech Republic, the U.S. or Austrailia shouldn't play it (it's a great sport, I'd love to see more people play it). It's not meant to imply that Canada will dominate every single national game they will play for the rest of eternity. I'm not saying it to deny the losses of the past. I'm saying it because there is no other game that holds the importance to Canadians that hockey does.
If that's all that you guys mean by it, then that's fine, however I've heard it many times in contexts where it's meant in the sense that I find offensive. Though I admit that wouldn't constitute evidence in any strong sense.

jakzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:31 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
If that's all that you guys mean by it, then that's fine, however I've heard it many times in contexts where it's meant in the sense that I find offensive. Though I admit that wouldn't constitute evidence in any strong sense.
And those would most likely be the idiots he's referring to.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:32 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges of the Jungle View Post

Great post man. That is well worded, well thoughtout and how people should perceive it. Well done.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
jacksonh

This guy was just on TEAM1040 the Vancouver radio station, apparently he runs a sports tour company. So that explains why he is at every sporting event.

I think this is their site: http://www.dashtours.com/

jacksonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dub View Post
Finally found a picture of the guy I'm talking about. This was taken at a Canucks/Flames game back in January:

wow... just lookit all those women behind him just ovulating at his sheer manliness

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

He also holds the sign thats says "He Shoots, He Scores" and "Hockey Is Canada's Game" or something like that. And yeah he was at every WJC game and mens and womens olympics game, he must be loaded big time!

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
josra33

The odd person I kept seeing throughout the whole olympics was the guy (or girl) wearing a mexican wrestling mask and a lime green clown suit to the curling matches. Anyone else see that?

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
jacksonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
The odd person I kept seeing throughout the whole olympics was the guy (or girl) wearing a mexican wrestling mask and a lime green clown suit to the curling matches. Anyone else see that?
It wasn't the green men was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-SrXKlHZFo

jacksonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:23 PM
josra33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonh View Post
It wasn't the green men was it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-SrXKlHZFo
No it was like a clown suit. Like it had white fluffy button things going down the center and (s)he had a I think purple mexican wrestling mask on.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Jeff Babchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post

What's with the 3/4 swastika as an avatar?
I reacted on that too, then I searched for it:

Jumis – (from root jum- roof-) was a god of sky and fertility. He is associated with "double-plants", such as two crop stalks or trees which have grown together and share a trunk or stem. During harvesting, some stalks of the crops are bent to the ground and secured in that location with stones. During his holiday, Miķeli, a ritual called the "Catching of Jumis" is performed, it involves a procession that carries some grains (symbol of "captured" Jumis) home, thereby ensuring the following year's harvest will be at least as successful. He is depicted as a short man with clothes that resemble ears of wheat, hops and barley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumis

http://images.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jumis.org/IMAGES/logo/logo_bw.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jumis.org/whatis.html&usg=__lKWhf45LR3hB_MDMDERFmY1wKO0=&h=3 00&w=550&sz=25&hl=sv&start=1&itbs=1&tbnid=5nY_VtHC 6KDhQM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djumis%26hl%3Dsv%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:sv-SEfficial%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

So apparently, Like Wall is concerned about his fertility!

Jeff Babchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
has he been seen near one of these?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:43 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

He works for Dash Tours in Regina, Sask. Might be the owner, I don't know.

Certainly not a professional fan.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
Good to see that Tron-Guy has a new hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Tron Guy's Canadian doppelganger?
****, you beat me to it.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
To the poster above who said 'he is slow'

I met him at the Swiss/Canada game and he is a super cool guy

Runs his own company and handed me his card

He does get paid to work the games and buys and sells tickets also

His company name on his card is 'Dash Tours' and can be found with a simple google search

Anyway - he was super cool to everyone around him and just loves hockey
I'd love it, too, if I got paid to "cheer."

He's a ****. Plain and simple. We don't need his canned enthusiasm, nor his cheesy, cliche signs. He makes us look like idiots, what with his clownish get-up and the siren on his head.

Even if he's not a "professional fan," I'd still maintain that he's an embarrassment. "HOCKEY IS CANADA'S GAME"? Piss off. It's everyone's game. Claiming it's our game only minimizes our achievements. "HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!" Are you kidding me?

Get this clown out of there and let a real fan take his seat.

Yes Im Peter Ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Yemack

If he is a pro, he needs to put more effort into the signs. Could use more creativity.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Chileiceman

The fan they always show during team Canada games

Does anyone know the deal with that fan that they probably show 8 or 9 times a game when Team Canad plays? He wears a goal light on his helmet and always is holding a lame sign like "He Shoots He Scores" or "Gold Canada Gold"
At my house we can't stand him for some reason he's just known as "That ****ing Guy"
Everytime Canada scores they cut straight to him, as if his reaction actually mattered. How many thousands did he spend to go to every game? He even went to the women's games.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:25 AM
v-man

He was on CTV this morning without his helmet. He's paid to go there and work up the audience. Not a bad deal for him at all. Still seems kinda redundant though since regular Canadian and Latvian fans do a better job of it anyway.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote