HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has seen Alexander Perezhogin play

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2004, 08:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I'll take the position in the middle of you and the poster Plekanec. I do think he's highly skilled, but I agree he doesn't do anything at a fantastic level. Higgins works harder and is smarter, imo but he is smaller and most likely less talented but not by much, imo. He does have good speed, his strength is decent, his shot is good, but his stickhandling, passing, vision, and instincts are his main skills, imo. Also he has a bit of grit to his game, which is something that's underrated. I am concerned about his size, but I think he is a big offensive threat. I don't know about huge, but he's gotten over 100 points in his first 2 seasons in North America, and was the 2nd leading scorer for junior aged players in the Czech mens league before he came over. He's an offenisve player that is learning a 2-way game.
Plekanec is highly skilled but agree he does'nt do anything at a fantastic level, however, I strongly desagree when you say Higgins work harder and is smarter... Ones of Pleks' main assets are justly his great work ethic and hockey sense! Just take a look at his plus/minus, I know its only a statistic but to me it reflect the high quality of his play... I really like Higgins' work ethic too but he sometime tend to float and is'nt always involved in the game as he should be... Its probably due to the busy schedule but at the moment it's Higgins who must work on his consistency, not Plekanec! IMO Higgins is however more gritty along the board, his wrist shot is also amazing and he can do that at top speed.. He does have some nice flashy moves sometime too! Both are great and will become very usefull players for us but the more dangerous offensive weapon of the 3 will be Perezhogin without any doubts!

Old
04-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Plekanec is highly skilled but agree he does'nt do anything at a fantastic level, however, I strongly desagree when you say Higgins work harder and is smarter... Ones of Pleks' main assets are justly his great work ethic and hockey sense! .....
Lots of exclamation marks there. Plekanec (the poster), is that you? I think so!

Old
04-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Slick Nick

I haven't seen Perezhogin in game action as often as other people on this thread, so I can't really state about his game. But I've seen him 4 days at the rookie camp( and a couple of time at WJC and with the dogs), and I can add some here... Alex had incredible speed, his skating is way above avrage. He is an elegant skater, with small but very powerfull strides. He makes skating fast look like easy. Also, having seen him controling the puck, circling in between 3 pucks he placed on the ice, was really entertaining...The only comparasion I could make is a more skilled Oleg Petrov with a bigger frame.

Alex also has a great shot. One thing I remember, anectode, was the «hit the crossbar game» at habs camp. Hainsey, Komi and someone were playing, while Alex was skatig alone.. Then Hainsey told him to try, and Prezhogin hit the crossbar on his first try, then he skated away and came back and took a second shot and hit the crossbar again... They were just amazed.

The only thing negative about Alex is that he is quite small. Both Perezhogin and Higgins are about 6'0'', but when you look at them on the ice, Alex seems a lot smaller. I hope he buckled up this winter, because he has everything else to perform i the NHL.

Anyways, let's just see what happens...

Last edited by Slick Nick: 04-28-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old
04-28-2004, 11:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Plekanec is highly skilled but agree he does'nt do anything at a fantastic level, however, I strongly desagree when you say Higgins work harder and is smarter... Ones of Pleks' main assets are justly his great work ethic and hockey sense! Just take a look at his plus/minus, I know its only a statistic but to me it reflect the high quality of his play... I really like Higgins' work ethic too but he sometime tend to float and is'nt always involved in the game as he should be... !

I could say the same thing about Plekanec. I've seen him have some off nights, but most players do. Higgins is the smarter player though, in my mind he's one of the smartest players I've seen. He reads the play well especially in his own end, he knows where to be, what to do, and can cover ground quickly. I am not saying Plekanec has poor work ethic or hockey sense, but I think Higgins has more. Plus he looks like a very hard worker off the ice, as it looks like he's bulked up a bit in his upper body, I'd bet he spends a lot of time in the gym, but I am just guessing.

Either way all 3 are quality prospects and I look forward to seeing what they will do as Habs. And the +/- stat doesn't mean much. Pleks as a 2nd year player, +21, Higgins rookie year +16. But +/- stat is something you can't put too much stock in, as it's not clear cut. Just for fun, look at Bulis's +/- vs Dags from the season.

Old
04-29-2004, 02:04 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I could say the same thing about Plekanec. I've seen him have some off nights, but most players do. Higgins is the smarter player though, in my mind he's one of the smartest players I've seen. He reads the play well especially in his own end, he knows where to be, what to do, and can cover ground quickly. I am not saying Plekanec has poor work ethic or hockey sense, but I think Higgins has more. Plus he looks like a very hard worker off the ice, as it looks like he's bulked up a bit in his upper body, I'd bet he spends a lot of time in the gym, but I am just guessing.

Either way all 3 are quality prospects and I look forward to seeing what they will do as Habs. And the +/- stat doesn't mean much. Pleks as a 2nd year player, +21, Higgins rookie year +16. But +/- stat is something you can't put too much stock in, as it's not clear cut. Just for fun, look at Bulis's +/- vs Dags from the season.
I also heard someone saying that both Pleks and Higgins work very hard off ice... what doesnt surprise me..

Agree that -/+ means nothing most of the time but to me Plekanec read the play almost perfectly in the 3 zones and I never saw him floating and taking a shift off from the first time I watched him on T.V.... He always is in mouvement and well positionned anticipating where the puck will go... Anyway both are very smart and this is one of their main assets! I can't wait to see them and Perezhogin in a Habs jersey, hopefully it will be next season from day 1!

Closed Thread