HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Toe and foot numbness during games

Old
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
gintonic

vCash: 500
Toe and foot numbness during games

Lately in games, towards the end, I've been getting a lot of toe numbness or tingling. I've tried not tying skates as tight, different socks, etc., but still happens. Does this happen to anyone else? what's the fix?

I have noticed that it seems when I wear DriFit socks it's worse, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
greech

Send a message via AIM to greech
Try 2 things. First, wear no socks. Also, are you taping your thighs, shinguards, or ankles? That may have a role in it. Tying skates loser may not be the answer, but proper lacing is important. There's tons of topics on proper skate tying, that is a big part.

greech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Try 2 things. First, wear no socks. Also, are you taping your thighs, shinguards, or ankles? That may have a role in it. Tying skates loser may not be the answer, but proper lacing is important. There's tons of topics on proper skate tying, that is a big part.
Thanks. Is there a thread here entitled Proper Skate Tying? Not sure how to use these search features here.

Old
12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Are they new skates? This happens with new skates.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:09 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Are they new skates? This happens with new skates.
Fairly new, they were purchased in September, and have free skated twice, and played about 10 games in them. Not sure if that qualifies as new or not.

Old
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
FLYLine24*

Sometimes this happens to me, I don't know why. When I take my skate off its the worst. It only happens like once every two dozen times I play though. My skates are very broken in.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:50 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

It could also be a volume issue where part of your foot is being pinched and just barely cuts into the circulation, very gradually.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Hockeyfan68

This only happens to me when my skates are too tight. I try to leave the bottom part kinda tight but almost loose and I tighten the ankle pretty good.

When I do that I have no problems.

I think your skates are just laced too tightly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Keetz

could be
Raynaud's Syndrome

If you had a bad frostbite on your toes ever you'll have this.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:15 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I'm betting you just need to loosen the lacing at the toe. Try just tightening from the 4th eyelet up.

Your boot may not have enough volume, but changing lacing should fix that. And there is no 'proper' lacing technique, it's all PP. Outside in is pretty standard, but inside out is fine too, and some people have said it makes a difference.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
noobman

It sounds like your circulation is being cut off, as other people have mentioned. When you're tying up your skates, the goal is to maximize the amount of energy transfer from your foot to the blade. If your foot is sliding around a lot in the boot, you won't get this. You'll also risk breaking your ankle!!!

If you tie your skates too tight, you'll be cutting off the circulation to your feet. Your feet will hurt, and you won't be able to skate very well either.

What you want to do is keep the boot moderately snug most of the way up your foot. Some people like it very tight at the toes... I prefer it a little looser. At about the 4th to last eyelet, you'll want to start tugging them very tightly. This will lock the heel of your foot into the back of the boot. How you do it from here up depends on your foot, skating style, and preference. I like to do the 4th and 3rd eyelets VERY VERY tight, then do the 2nd to last eyelet moderately snug. The 2nd to last eyelet is moderately snug for me. I need it tight enough to prevent my skates from wobbling left and right, but not so tight that I can't bend my ankles forward. I don't do up the last eyelet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetz View Post
could be
Raynaud's Syndrome

If you had a bad frostbite on your toes ever you'll have this.
I really wish I hadn't looked that up BRUUUTAL!!!

Anyways, if what everyone else has said doesn't apply, it might just be because your feet are cold. I've had the flesh on my toes feel like ice from playing too long on an outdoor ice surface.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I also agree the skates are likely too tight.

I lace my skates very loose in warmups because when you get warmed up and blood goes to the muscles, it will make your feet a little bigger. So I take some laps and shots with the skates fairly loose, then right before the game I tighten them up just a bit. I have stiff skates and wax laces so if they are tight at all it will make my feet numb.

I also wear really thin dress socks while skating. Keeps me from getting blisters but the skates still fit tight.

Did you get them baked? Skate baking will conform them to your feet and open the skates up a bit. A good shop will let you re-bake the skates, which you might need. Modern skates are too stiff to really "break in", so you might ask about that. I need to get mine done again...

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Trailwood

check the width of your skates as well. They may also be too narrow. take them into a quality shop.

Trailwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:21 AM
mememe000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailwood View Post
check the width of your skates as well. They may also be too narrow. take them into a quality shop.
That's the issue I have.

I have to wait at least 5 minutes after taking my skates off to walk again. They are CCM width E (and CCM's are normally wider as it is).

If you have a wide foot like me your going to have to get used to it. I've tried on so many skates and none have really worked.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had that same problem in normal width skates, went to wide, now no issues (for the most part). Guess I'm lucky my feet are only slightly abnormal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
maci4life

what skates do you have?

i get this on my ccms ( with the eyelet latch half way up the skate ) when i tighten the bottom part too tight. Unfortunately i don't notice until i get on the ice and the circulation starts cutting out slowly after time.

i try to go a little looser on the bottom then tighter on top.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
gintonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
what skates do you have?

i get this on my ccms ( with the eyelet latch half way up the skate ) when i tighten the bottom part too tight. Unfortunately i don't notice until i get on the ice and the circulation starts cutting out slowly after time.

i try to go a little looser on the bottom then tighter on top.
I have Bauer Vapor X30

Old
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
That's the issue I have.

I have to wait at least 5 minutes after taking my skates off to walk again. They are CCM width E (and CCM's are normally wider as it is).

If you have a wide foot like me your going to have to get used to it. I've tried on so many skates and none have really worked.
Thats not right man.

Doesnt CCM make a EE or a EEE?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
RaoulDuke2k

I had a similar issue wearing Graf 703's, which are narrow. I had to lightly tighten the forefoot or else I would get a lot of pain and/or numbness. Even then, if I skated for several hours, my feet would hurt.

Eventually I moved to a wider skate and could tighten them normally. My feet never have any issues now.

It's really worth getting the right skate for your foot - you'll usually see immediate dividends.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 03:25 PM
gintonic

Just to follow up on this since I originally posted this a couple months ago -

Experimenting with different things has revealed that I must have had the laces tied too tight. I've not been tying the skates as tightly as I was prior and I've not had any of that numbness stuff occur. In addition, I've found that there's a little more 'feel' when taking turns by not having them as tight.

Hopefully this might help those having similar experiences. And thanks to all that replied with recommendations.