HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quick question from an away fan

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Quick question from an away fan

Hey guys. As you could have likely guessed, I'm a Habs fan, living in NJ for now.

I'm planning on coming to the game vs you guys at the Garden 3/16. I will be wearing a Habs jersey and hat, and so will my girlfriend. We're generally quiet, shy people. We won't talk trash at all and will not cause any trouble whatsoever. I will likely only say things to players on my own team about how bad they are, and will only clap when(or is it...if?) we score.

I have found two good deals on tickets. There's one in 329 that's a bit higher than one in 402, which are really cheap actually.

Question is, should I be afraid to sit in the 400's? Would they pick on an 18 year old couple minding their own business except wearing away team clothes? Should I pony up for the 300's, or would I be okay in the 400's? Or would I have an equal amount of hassle in the 300's?

I mean by hassle, something meaning harm. I don't expect to not get any boo's, or "you sucks!" but anything physically threatening or really across the line I'd prefer not to have. I also know you guys can't guarantee the behavior of your fellow blueshirts fans at the Garden, I'm just asking based on your experience at games with away fans there.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
CM PUNK

you'll be fine as long as you don't act like a drunken idiot...it might be different if you are were an islander or devils fan lol. but no one is gonna try to jump you for cheering for your team

Old
02-23-2010, 08:10 PM
nyrmetros

Away fans only get beat up when they deserve it. We are not Philly fans and beat up away fans for no reason. As long as no reason is given, punishment will not be dealt. So save the dough if you want. Also check to see if the Montreal Club has bought a block of group tickets for traveling away fans.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I'll definitely check on that, but I doubt it for a middle of the week game. Thanks for the words of advice so far guys, keep it coming.

I'm going to end up going for sure, I just may not wear Habs gear if people think it's too dangerous, which I'm sure it won't.

I won't be drunk, and I'm too young to get drinks there. Like I said, if someone wasn't looking at me, they wouldn't even notice an away fan is there.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
GAGLine

As long as you aren't a jerk, you'll be fine no matter where you sit. You might get some good-natured ribbing, but that's about it.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Cherepanisimov

I wouldn't worry about it. Some fans act really "tough" and will heckle you, but in reality are just drunken idiots. This isn't Philly, they won't murder you and leave you in an alley for wearing a Habs jersey. I've never seen anybody in NY actually assault somebody like you described. If you can afford it, get the 3's, but there really is nothing to worry about.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
nah, people probably won't start with you.

If you act like an a-hole, then you'll get yours.

I went to a devils/rangers game in the 400s, there's a lot of trash talking, but it's unlikely there's gonna be a fight unless you want one.

Go ahead and wear your jersey, it's a sports game, you can wear whatever jersey you want.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

I'd be more worried about the muggings outside of the building.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Thanks for the help guys. The 402 Section is cheap but not exactly a good view, so I think I'll go with the more expensive (by $40) Section 329. To be honest, my dad's a big Rangers fan, I've been to a few games with him and rooted for the Rangers every time. I always thought you guys had a classy fanbase, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the reassurance. Hope to see you guys there. If you see an 18 year old couple, one wearing a Markov jersey, one wearing a Price jersey, don't be afraid to say hello, I'd love to talk.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
fiedy88

vCash: 873
nah, we're classy. you'll be just fine. we're dedicated to our team, not messing with the other team's fans, unless you're a Devils, Islanders, or Flyers fan.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedy88 View Post
nah, we're classy. you'll be just fine. we're dedicated to our team, not messing with the other team's fans, unless you're a Devils, Islanders, or Flyers fan.
Rangers PR?

Old
02-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

You don't have to worry about gettin beat up unless you are either 1) really drunk and trash talk the team 2) are a drunk Devils or Isles fan.

Seen several fights outside of MSG (actually underneath it) in Penn St. with drunken rival fans.

I don't think you'll have any problems in the 400s (maybe a little trash talk from the rangers fans up there, but that's harmless, especially if you play it cool) but if you can afford 300s they are better. Also make sure like others said you check to see if MTL fans are making a road trip.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
Seen several fights outside of MSG (actually underneath it) in Penn St. with drunken rival fans.
My next question. I'm taking Penn Station home. Am I also to look out for trouble down there?

I ask separately from in the Garden, since I figured maybe there'd be people down there who took the train knowing they'd be too drunk to drive.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

you'll be alright. I been to a few habs/rangers game and its pretty friendly. both fan bases are hardcore fans and there is a general respect for the traditions of the teams.

don't be a dick and people won't be a dick to you ...if anyone says anything just laugh it off and it will end

plus you took gomez, how can we hate you!!!??!!

Old
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
My next question. I'm taking Penn Station home. Am I also to look out for trouble down there?

I ask separately from in the Garden, since I figured maybe there'd be people down there who took the train knowing they'd be too drunk to drive.
Again -- Unless you're looking for a fight, you most likely won't be involved in one

You need to say something, or reply to something someone else said to instigate it

Old
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

This seems to be worrying you a lot.

I'd just leave the jersey off or just take it off after/before you leave the building after the game is over.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
This seems to be worrying you a lot.

I'd just leave the jersey off or just take it off after/before you leave the building after the game is over.
Nah, I just wanted to be sure. I'm 6'1 205, I would be able to hold my own even if someone jumped me or something. It's more my girlfriend I'm worried about, she's real shy and I'd hate for her to say something dick to her. Hope you can understand the feeling.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:32 PM
RichterLundqvist

You'll be fine.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:37 PM
nyrmetros

Again. relax. It's an Original 6 game, not an Atlantic Division game.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

I apologize to those of you who feel I'm being too overbearing.

Now comes the part when I put the target on my head and run away. I'm a Red Sox fan so I've had plenty of bad (yet 100% understandable, I know) bad experiences in NYC, I just wanted to be sure those were because of my Red Sox cap and not just the general hostility of NYC fans to away fans.

Thanks a lot guys, hope to see you there.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:43 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Nah, I just wanted to be sure. I'm 6'1 205, I would be able to hold my own even if someone jumped me or something. It's more my girlfriend I'm worried about, she's real shy and I'd hate for her to say something dick to her. Hope you can understand the feeling.
I'd say worst case scenario is that some drunk idiot says **** to you like "Habs suck" or "Go back to Canada" or some ****. Of all of the Ranger games I've ever been to, I've never seen a fan of a non-rival team get attacked. I could see one of those Habs fans who feels the need to waive a 10X10 Quebec flag throughout the game while shouting things in French getting abuse, but nobody is gonna even flinch if you just have a jersey and/or hat on.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
These types of questions are asked a little too frequently. What makes anyone think going to a random eastern conference regular season matchup at MSG is risking physical altercations? This isn't Philly.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
chosen

If Montreal is winning by a few goals, I make it 50-50 that you have an encounter with an *******.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
These types of questions are asked a little too frequently. What makes anyone think going to a random eastern conference regular season matchup at MSG is risking physical altercations? This isn't Philly.
A lot of people think New York is still what it was in the 70s and 80s. New York has a reputation. Which is funny because I haven't felt unsafe around the garden in a loooong time.

To the OP though, if i were visiting the garden to see one game, I would spend the extra for the 300 seats. No matter where you sit you'll be safe but I'd say the chance of you enduring some semi-friendly trash talk diminishes by 50% in the 300s. Plus the view is IMO so much better from the 300s. I always feel endlessly far away from the 400s.

Old
02-23-2010, 08:56 PM
IG88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan41 View Post
you'll be alright. I been to a few habs/rangers game and its pretty friendly. both fan bases are hardcore fans and there is a general respect for the traditions of the teams.

don't be a dick and people won't be a dick to you ...if anyone says anything just laugh it off and it will end

plus you took gomez, how can we hate you!!!??!!
SERIOUSLY! If ANYONE gives you a hard time, just remind them of this here Gomez thing. I think any decent, knowledgeable fan will appreciate the candid humor, the fact that Gomez is no longer a Ranger, and the McDonagh.

That's just me though.

Anyone that would ***** with a young couple thats just trying to watch a hockey game would have to have some serious issues.

Closed Thread