HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coed or women's hockey in Edmonton?

Old
08-31-2006, 07:51 PM
epoxy

vCash: 500
Coed or women's hockey in Edmonton?

Hi I'm a beginner player just starting out... I'm wondering if there is a league that offers a division of the appropriate level and is either coed or women's only. Thanks.

epoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Icer

Southern Alberta Women's Hockey Association

They are based in Calgary but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 03:59 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
U of C used to have a "Beginner shinny program" that catered to those with almost zero skill/experience(I played in it for 8 years, yes I'm awful)

you might check with the U Of A campus rec and see if they offer any public programs of this nature.Worst case scenario....a wasted phone call.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Slats432

Women are allowed in the ERHL. Although I have only seen a couple players that are female.

I would contact Edmonton Minor Hockey http://www.emha.ca/

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 04:38 PM
MikeD

If you need any information about girls'/women's hockey in Alberta, please contact:

Hockey Alberta (HA)
Suite 1, 7875 48th Avenue
Red Deer, AB T4P 2K1

Phone (403) 342-6777
Fax (403) 346-4277

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Yeah, SAWHA is a good site. I wonder if there's a Non contact league in edmonton. There's one in Calgary that I played in over the summer. They had women's only and co-ed teams.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 10:18 AM
epoxy

Thanks for the tips everybody! Am contacting NAFHA (Northern Alberta Female Hockey Association) and ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League). Anyone heard about these leagues?

Old
09-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Saint Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxy View Post
Thanks for the tips everybody! Am contacting NAFHA (Northern Alberta Female Hockey Association) and ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League). Anyone heard about these leagues?
I played ASHL here in Winnipeg. I guess it was ok - there were never any organizational problems (messing around with rinks or schedules) and everything was done in one multi-sheet arena. That said, the ice times SUCKED.

You can't blame the league for the actions of its players, but I found it ironic that in the non-contact Adult "Safe" Hockey League, I was leveled into the boards from behind and subsequently got into the only hockey fight of my career (at the age of 33, and I've played since I was 5).

Unless the league administrators are manifestly incompetent, it's all about the people you get to play with. If they're cool, you'll have a great time.

Saint Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2006, 12:00 PM
epoxy

What ASHL division did you play in? I would be in the lowest one obviously, is roughing a problem only in the higher divisions? Btw, this ASHL Edmonton branch just started this year... no previous history to go on.

Old
09-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
It depends.

I played in a lower level of a leauge and the roughing was terrible. Mainly because the ref wouldn't call anything.

If the ref calls the appropraite penalties it usually isnt a problem.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:11 AM
ccrhl

New Co-Ed League

Hi all. Capital City Rec Hockey League is accepting individual registrants for the upcoming Summer Season. Men's and Co-Ed. ccrhl.com and you can find our more info. Thanks

Dan

ccrhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:21 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrhl View Post
Hi all. Capital City Rec Hockey League is accepting individual registrants for the upcoming Summer Season. Men's and Co-Ed. ccrhl.com and you can find our more info. Thanks

Dan
I think you mean http://www.ccrhl.ca, not .com.

And even though this thread is 4 years old, I may as well answer the original question. http://www.erhl.ca has a dedicated co-ed league. http://www.bophockey.com is a small league -- just 8 teams -- but is also co-ed.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote