A discussion of the QMJHL playoff race and prospects with HF's Kevin Forbes

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

vCash: 500
Good podcast as usual Kevin, I agree with most of what you said. You labled Victoriaville as a dark horse, but I think they are good enough to be in the same category as a Moncton or Saint John. They have two really productive forward lines, sufficient netminding and Joel Chouinard leading the way for the defense. Both them and Drummondville are sort of like a Moncton and Saint John for the Telus Central division.

I do agree with Cape Breton being a team that has flown under the radar to this point in the season. They have some high end talent with Riopel, Adam, Lagacé and others, but just haven't shown that they can battle with the best. People are saying they'll shine in the playoffs against Moncton with their physical play, but I just don't see that happening. Moncton is a strong defensive squad that will make it very difficult for Cape Breton to succeed.

Just to clarify since you weren't sure, the winner of the Moncton and Cape Breton series probably wouldn't play a Saint John team until the third round if everything went as planned. Teams play outside of their division after the first round and the matchups are based on the overall standings. Since Cape Breton and Moncton are ranked in the upper echelon of teams, they wouldn't be playing Saint John in the second.

Good for you to mention Corbeil, who has been tremendous for Halifax. Obviously with such a young and inexperienced team his stats are extremely deflated. But he has done such a good job of keeping the team in games this season. You see them battling top teams (I think they even beat Saint John one game) and are usually in the game until the third period. Most of this can be brought back to either Corbeil or Knotek. While it is difficult to project where goalie's will end up, I think he'll be a gem for whichever team drafts him this year.

One player you didn't get to talk about was Brandon Gormley. It looks like he'll be the first to go in the draft for players from the QMJHL. I'm assuming you've seen him play quite a bit since you're from the Maritimes. Most people agree he is going to be a great player and end up in the NHL very soon, but how quickly and how effective do you think he'll be at the next level? Could you see him making an NHL team right out of training camp next year, like how Kulikov made the Florida roster this season?

BobbyRyan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I actually have an (over-due) article on Gormley in the hopper for HF (also one on Corbeil). I asked Gormley's coach, Danny Flynn that exact question. I don't think I'm ruining the surprise by revealing the answer here: he thinks Gormley would benefit from an additional year, but acknowledges that it depends on the organization. He used an interesting example from the NHL, but I'll save that for the article. Personally, based on watching Gormley play, I think he needs to get stronger before he can play pro.

On Corbeil, I remember when Halifax had guys like Hiller, Voracek, Swan, MacMillan and Bodnarchuk all in the lineup and a scout made a comment to me that he liked watching draft eligible goaltenders play against the Mooseheads to see how they reacted to such offensive talent being thrown against them. I guess the reverse is true for Corbeil, where playing for a poor team really showcases his talents.

The Mooseheads are definitely a wily team. I talked with their coach/GM Cam Russell as part of my research for my article on Corbeil and the one thing he said was that this season they went for the full rebuild, something which some would say has never been done for the Mooseheads before. He said that he, and the team, knew at the beginning of the year that they didn't have the horses to compete, but he made sure to hold the team accountable for their play, to never let them use the lack of results on the scoreboard or in the standings as an excuse. I think that level of compete surprises many teams who come to Halifax, where they are expecting an easy game against the worst team in the league.

Speaking of Saint John in particular, I think the reverse might be true: the team might have some trouble with their level of compete. They seem to only rise to the level of their competition at times. Saint John fans can prove me wrong and bring out examples of when the Sea Dogs really pounded on their opposition, but I really question if they have those intangibles, that drive and passion on their roster to be a legit contender. This isn't a comment on the work of Kelly and Gallant who have done a remarkable job developing the players there, but more just on the bodies that make up the roster, which hasn't changed much since Beaulieu was in charge.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRyan9 View Post
Good podcast as usual Kevin, I agree with most of what you said. You labled Victoriaville as a dark horse, but I think they are good enough to be in the same category as a Moncton or Saint John. They have two really productive forward lines, sufficient netminding and Joel Chouinard leading the way for the defense. Both them and Drummondville are sort of like a Moncton and Saint John for the Telus Central division.

I do agree with Cape Breton being a team that has flown under the radar to this point in the season. They have some high end talent with Riopel, Adam, Lagacé and others, but just haven't shown that they can battle with the best. People are saying they'll shine in the playoffs against Moncton with their physical play, but I just don't see that happening. Moncton is a strong defensive squad that will make it very difficult for Cape Breton to succeed.

Just to clarify since you weren't sure, the winner of the Moncton and Cape Breton series probably wouldn't play a Saint John team until the third round if everything went as planned. Teams play outside of their division after the first round and the matchups are based on the overall standings. Since Cape Breton and Moncton are ranked in the upper echelon of teams, they wouldn't be playing Saint John in the second.

Good for you to mention Corbeil, who has been tremendous for Halifax. Obviously with such a young and inexperienced team his stats are extremely deflated. But he has done such a good job of keeping the team in games this season. You see them battling top teams (I think they even beat Saint John one game) and are usually in the game until the third period. Most of this can be brought back to either Corbeil or Knotek. While it is difficult to project where goalie's will end up, I think he'll be a gem for whichever team drafts him this year.

One player you didn't get to talk about was Brandon Gormley. It looks like he'll be the first to go in the draft for players from the QMJHL. I'm assuming you've seen him play quite a bit since you're from the Maritimes. Most people agree he is going to be a great player and end up in the NHL very soon, but how quickly and how effective do you think he'll be at the next level? Could you see him making an NHL team right out of training camp next year, like how Kulikov made the Florida roster this season?
Cape Breton has Roy in nets not Riopel and they beat Moncton 4-0 in Moncton this week right after beating St.John and by the way,they swept victoriaville this year 3 games that they played.They are big,love to hit and and a very dangerous opponent for |Moncton.I can tell you this,Moncton will be developing some injuries in this series for sure.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I can tell you this,Moncton will be developing some injuries in this series for sure.
That's a rather distasteful image.
I'm all for a tough, hard fought series, which by all appearances, this is shaping up to be. But to actively encourage injury is rather disgusting.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
jefff

I am a big Seadogs fan and I have to admit that Moncton is the team to beat and I don't think you are going out on a limb very far. If all works out the right way, the Seadogs and Moncton will not meet until the finals. Thank God that Cape Breton is out because althought the Seadogs have more skill Cape Breton is just to big for the Seadogs to handle. GO DOGS GO!

jefff is offline   Reply With Quote