HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Manitoba Moose / MTS Centre group talking to NHL - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
welcomebackwinnipeg

vCash: 500
^^^^^

It's funny because I snoop at jetsowner forum once in a while to see what sort of bs rumors are flying around. I read that exact post there.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:26 PM
scott0606

the weirder part is that im not even a member, nor have ever been on the Jetsowner forum. I heard this through the grapevine from a friend last night over the phone. Like i said, i take most of this with a grain of salt but this is the most talk about this topic i have heard in a very long time.

Old
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
LT

There is no way that a team is going to be sold that far in advance and then continue playing in a non-hockey market. That's doesn't make any sense so I'm not buying it for a second.

There are lots of rumours and I personally believe some to be true. Which ones I am not exactly sure of yet. Will there be an announcement on Mar 4/5th who knows. It would be nice yes but I'm not holding my breath. The Atlanta rumour won't go away and the people that are telling about the legal documents that were drawn up say it's for the Thrashers. I still think that Winnipeg is lined up if the Ice Edge deal falls through so I am not really sure what will happen. All I really care about is that we get a team back in Winnipeg. My preference is the Coyotes only because that's the right thing and then if that can't be done then the Thrashers. I say give us the Coyotes back and Phoenix can take the Thrashers, then we're all happy

Old
03-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Pegger5

This is a VERY SOLID rumour except the dates.... If the deal is already closed then all money would have been transfered/completed.. You don't close a deal then not announce soon after as well. Also, you would not have lame duck seasons for the Tharshers and the Manitoba Moose. I would think if closed this is for 2010 season.
It would have to be announced soon so Winnipeg could get ready for the season.. ie. ticket sales, box sales, advertising etc... Otherwise it won't work...

Saying that, maybe Atlanta would accept a lame duck season. very doubtful though.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Steen View Post
This is a VERY SOLID rumour except the dates.... If the deal is already closed then all money would have been transfered/completed.. You don't close a deal then not announce soon after as well. Also, you would not have lame duck seasons for the Tharshers and the Manitoba Moose. I would think if closed this is for 2010 season.
It would have to be announced soon so Winnipeg could get ready for the season.. ie. ticket sales, box sales, advertising etc... Otherwise it won't work...

Saying that, maybe Atlanta would accept a lame duck season. very doubtful though.
I just don't understand the point of playing another season in Atlanta. Why would they. If the current ownership group has decided to sell the Thrashers then I would think they would want out asap...not drag it out for another season. Plus why would any new ownership group want to let the old ownership group mismanage the team for another year? They could dump all the depth the team has and not give a rats behind. It's not gonna happen that way.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
I've seen/heard no evidence of that. Do you have any?

GHOST
I have heard the same thing
The media here has tried to deny it

every year a team s moving here so now i take it all with a grain of salt and I will be beleive it when i see it

Old
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
King_Stannis

It just seems weird that it would be Atlanta, especially given how hard the league fought for Phoenix. If Ice Edge falls through, I think it's clear to everyone that it probably just isn't going to work there, and that the NHL would be justified moving them back to Winnipeg.

But Atlanta? No dire rumblings from the commissioner, akin to what David Stern was saying about Seattle before the Sonics moved. Just unsubstantiated rumors and vehemenent denials. And then one day (soon we are led to believe) "Oh, guess what, we're committed to markets and finding local owners...but we'll skip that in this instance!".

I'm a skeptic of an Atlanta move. If Ice Edge falls through I'll put good money on Winnipeg, though.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
I say give us the Coyotes back and Phoenix can take the Thrashers, then we're all happy
Hi. I'm an Atlanta Thrashers fan, and I can guarantee you I wouldn't be happy at all.

So here's a question for everyone. How can the Thrashers be sold and move when there's still a pending dispute between the current owners? And if an attourney in the Peg is telling his son about a completed deal for a Winnipeg group to buy and move the Thrashers, then that's a violation of Attourney/Client confidentiality, which could void such a deal.

All parties involved have dismissed this announcement that's supposed to happen.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
King_Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
Hi. I'm an Atlanta Thrashers fan, and I can guarantee you I wouldn't be happy at all.

So here's a question for everyone. How can the Thrashers be sold and move when there's still a pending dispute between the current owners? And if an attourney in the Peg is telling his son about a completed deal for a Winnipeg group to buy and move the Thrashers, then that's a violation of Attourney/Client confidentiality, which could void such a deal.

All parties involved have dismissed this announcement that's supposed to happen.
You're basing your supposition on a rumor that could well not be true. One can quickly start to spin all kinds of scenarios, but if they're based off of something that isn't true, it probably isn't worth the heartache (in your case) to think about it.

If there were a deal in the works to move the team, the dispute might be in the process of being handled behind closed doors hand in hand. But again, it's probably not healthy to start thinking like that.

Old
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Pegger5

Quote:

Well, we say Lawyer/Client confidentiality..in Canada.. Anyway, if the deal is closed 100%, money given etc.... Then it is open to chat...unless some special clause saying "no one talks" till press release... They just have not announced it yet...??

Still, it is a rumour till announced.. Hopefully it is not your team...

Old
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Most deals like this have a gag order on them, meaning it's a possibility that blabbing about the deal can result in breach of contract by the purchasing party. The seller then typically has the right to cancel the deal and even reclaim damages against the purchaser in civil court. the thought is along the lines of lost revenue, due to lame duck status. The real issue at heart is if this were true, then the move would most likely have to happen in fall 2010 as stipulated by the seller.

I seriously doubt Atlanta would be at the heart of any of this seeing as how there's a Phoenix franchise without a permanent owner, ice Edge is having some difficulty, and Atlanta's ownership is still involved in pending litigation.

Old
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
TrentSteele

Quote:
Most deals like this have a gag order on them, meaning it's a possibility that blabbing about the deal can result in breach of contract by the purchasing party. The seller then typically has the right to cancel the deal and even reclaim damages against the purchaser in civil court. the thought is along the lines of lost revenue, due to lame duck status. The real issue at heart is if this were true, then the move would most likely have to happen in fall 2010 as stipulated by the seller.

I seriously doubt Atlanta would be at the heart of any of this seeing as how there's a Phoenix franchise without a permanent owner, ice Edge is having some difficulty, and Atlanta's ownership is still involved in pending litigation.
It would be impossible to prove where the rumour originated since nobody is talking on the record, and the Atlanta rumour has been around for awhile. I don't think any court would find a breach of contract had occurred.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
KevFist
is best pony

But if the rumor is that one of the Winnipeg attourneys working on the deal had talked about it with his son, then it's pretty easy to track down.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:06 PM
dkehler

Quote:
But if the rumor is that one of the Winnipeg attourneys working on the deal had talked about it with his son, then it's pretty easy to track down.
If the rumours are true, which is debatable, I hope you're not banking on this to scuttle the deal.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
if Atlanta Sports Group sells, how would Winnipeg fans accept an NBA and NHL Franchise invading MTSC? because it's highly plausible to believe that both sports properties will be bundled in one move....

Old
03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
If the rumours are true, which is debatable, I hope you're not banking on this to scuttle the deal.
Not at all. The rumors have been dismissed by Atlanta Spirit, the NHL and True North. That's good enough for me

Old
03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
if Atlanta Sports Group sells, how would Winnipeg fans accept an NBA and NHL Franchise invading MTSC? because it's highly plausible to believe that both sports properties will be bundled in one move....
Given the NBA wasn't successful in Vancouver, I highly doubt the NBA would allow them to be moved to Winnipeg.

Old
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
scott0606

Quote:
Not at all. The rumors have been dismissed by Atlanta Spirit, the NHL and True North. That's good enough for me
Very possible they were dismissed due to the so called "gag order" on the pending deal.

Old
03-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
But sometimes when people deny things by saying they aren't true, they turn out to be so in the end. Those who deny are sometimes doing so to keep secret info on the down low as much as possible for whatever reasons. In this case however, who really knows. March 4th is what I'm told is the expected announcement date.

Regardless, here is to the return of the NHL to the Great City of Winnipeg! We deserve it!

Old
03-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Guy View Post
But sometimes when people deny things by saying they aren't true, they turn out to be so in the end. Those who deny are sometimes doing so to keep secret info on the down low as much as possible for whatever reasons. In this case however, who really knows. March 4th is what I'm told is the expected announcement date.

Regardless, here is to the return of the NHL to the Great City of Winnipeg! We deserve it!
I've learned over time that saying this word is a big no-no when talking about relocation.

If any of these rumours are true people are going to look pretty bad for so recently denying it...but, like you said sometimes that is necessary.

Five bucks says the announcement is the re-naming of the 'Moose' to the 'Jets' and that the pursuit of an NHL franchise has been abandoned.

Any takers?

Old
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
TrentSteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
I've learned over time that saying this word is a big no-no when talking about relocation.

If any of these rumours are true people are going to look pretty bad for so recently denying it...but, like you said sometimes that is necessary.

Five bucks says the announcement is the re-naming of the 'Moose' to the 'Jets' and that the pursuit of an NHL franchise has been abandoned.

Any takers?
I'll take that bet as I don't think there will be an announcement on the 4th.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentSteele View Post
I'll take that bet as I don't think there will be an announcement on the 4th.
No no no no....I'm not an ATM. IF there is an announcement...that the announcement is what I suggested.

What you said is way too likely!

Old
03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaaster View Post
When (not if) the NHL returns to Winnipeg we will have the smallest arena - BUT we will be sold out every night.
That's an pure specculation on your part.

The facts show that recent pre-season games in Winnipeg had poor attendance:

2003 10,214
2006 15,015
2007 12,621
2008 13,417
2009 11,644
*announced attendance may include promotional tickets or freebies.

Winnipegs LOVE to cite attendance numbers in sunbelt cities but the harsh truth is that even Winnipegers did not sell out the MTS building for pre-season hockey.

They might turn out in higher numbers for their own team during the regular season...or they might not. Nobody knows for certain. What we do know is they did not sell out the one NHL game they could attend in their home town in recent seasons.

source: http://www.manitobamythbusters.com/p...ge&PAGE_id=206

Old
03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post

2003 10,214
2006 15,015
2007 12,621
2008 13,417
2009 11,644
Yet again using pre-season games with two non-Winnipeg teams as an example is pretty desperate.

They probably generated more revenue from those games than the Trashers do for most of their own NHL regular season games.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post

2003 10,214
2006 15,015
2007 12,621
2008 13,417
2009 11,644

Winnipegs LOVE to cite attendance numbers in sunbelt cities but the harsh truth is that even Winnipegers did not sell out the MTS building for pre-season hockey.

They might turn out in higher numbers for their own team during the regular season...or they might not. Nobody knows for certain. What we do know is they did not sell out the one NHL game they could attend in their home town in recent seasons.

source: http://www.manitobamythbusters.com/p...ge&PAGE_id=206
I don't see how you can even a little bit believe that the NHL exhibition attendance has any bearing whatsoever on what attendance would be for a Winnipeg NHL team. We do better than Hamilton does and at higher prices, yet everybody (almost) agrees that Hamilton would easily support an NHL team.

Closed Thread