HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quarterfinals | CANADA vs RUSSIA - 4:30PM PST (CNBC-HD, CTV/Online)

Old
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

vCash: 500
I think i'm going to have to not look at HF until Friday. The Canadian arrogance and gloating is waaaaaay out of control. Here's a couple of examples...

"I hope Canada plays the Swedes Friday night, essentially that is the Gold Medal Game.

Then hope the USA advances to the Gold against us so we get as easier opponent. Lighting can not strike twice in the same place"

"To put it into perspective. If we dominated the Americans like this it wouldn't have been really surprising given their lineup and lack of talent. But against the Russians?? Its shocking really."

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Winky

Wow, I really feel for Nabby.

Sure the Russian defense was suspect, but he did really play a terrible game. He's capable of playing much better than he did tonight, and it makes me feel bad for him to play below his capabilities in such a big game.

Hopefully this bitter pill gives him some God-mode for the spring ... cuz we'll need it.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
We saw the playoff exit version of Nabby tonight vs Canada.
I actually have to disagree here. He played worse than that. Not that his fellow Russian countrymen helped him or anything. Russia did not play good all around tonight. Nabby is much better than this during the playoffs even with 1 or 2 softies.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Kitten Mittons

"Yoooouuuuuu're so much better than Nabokov!!!"

I've been going over Yahoo images for Boyle and realized that after every goal, he has to jump up to hug another tall player.

Last edited by Kitten Mittons: 02-24-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
19sharks19

I feel for Naby too but, I don`t think he played all that bad, in the first period. He just got bombarded and, without some of the really nice saves he did make in the first, the score could have been worse. He never should have started for the second period though, that's when it did get worse though as from history, we as Sharks fans knew that mentally he was gone from this game. Let`s hope he comes back and at least can play strong for us as, it's evident Greiss won't fit the role if called upon for any lengthy period.

Best line in the first from Chris Cuthbert of CTV on the strong first period of our Sharks: ``we're witnessing a Shark attack here tonight``. Let's hope we hear that echo in about a month and a half.

Last edited by 19sharks19: 02-24-2010 at 11:40 PM.
19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
ISharkted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
it's evident Greiss won't fit the role if called upon for any lengthy period.
I really do not agree with that. With Nabby we know what we are getting. Either a top 5 elite goalie when he is on his game, or a putrid blowout with numerous softies given up. This really needs to be the last shot for Nabby with the Sharks. I do not think it is fair to Greiss with such a limited body of work. In fact, I'd say he played the Canadians better than Nabby did with a significantly inferior team around him.

ISharkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:08 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISharkted View Post
I really do not agree with that. With Nabby we know what we are getting. Either a top 5 elite goalie when he is on his game, or a putrid blowout with numerous softies given up. This really needs to be the last shot for Nabby with the Sharks. I do not think it is fair to Greiss with such a limited body of work. In fact, I'd say he played the Canadians better than Nabby did with a significantly inferior team around him.
Agree with most but on Greiss, the Canadians in no way were as up for that game as they were tonight. Not even close. Numerous examples but to just pick out one: Morrow for the first time in 5 games looked like the Morrow we all know.

On Naby, you are correct. If he falters again, this should be his last attempt with us. When he is on his game, he is really on. When he starts strong and starts to fall off, he really falls. When he starts off his game, he`s really off.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Thresher

Sergei Fedorov's final performance on the Olympic stage

(Nabby probably feels like ****)

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:37 AM
SharksAddict

Semin's hit was a clean hit but you don't take a run at a guy like that in the last few minutes of a 7-3 game. Where was that intensity when they were getting their ***** handed to them?

I love that Boyle retaliated (as well he should have), but he did it in the wrong way. Granted, in the Olympics he couldn't just drop his gloves so he opted for other tactics.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Tealblood

I'm just glad nabby gets even one more day's rest. He's gonna need it since chances are mclellan's gonna work him like a dog going down the stretch like he usually does.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
I actually have to disagree here. He played worse than that. Not that his fellow Russian countrymen helped him or anything. Russia did not play good all around tonight. Nabby is much better than this during the playoffs even with 1 or 2 softies.
agreed. I have a feeling he'll shake this off and earn the cup as consolation for losing the medal!

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:55 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBaySharksFan View Post
I think i'm going to have to not look at HF until Friday. The Canadian arrogance and gloating is waaaaaay out of control. Here's a couple of examples...

"I hope Canada plays the Swedes Friday night, essentially that is the Gold Medal Game.

Then hope the USA advances to the Gold against us so we get as easier opponent. Lighting can not strike twice in the same place"

"To put it into perspective. If we dominated the Americans like this it wouldn't have been really surprising given their lineup and lack of talent. But against the Russians?? Its shocking really."
And the arrogance of some American posters after the US win over Canada is any different? Every country in the tournament has some degree of arrogance in their fanbase (well, except maybe Germany) and I'll thank you not to paint my entire country with the same brush because you don't like the attitude of a few jerks.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:02 AM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Ok, i can't hold this in any longer. Nabber was ****! Sure, he'll be pissed and will rebound in his next NHL game - who cares! He's proved again that he's not a pressure player and choked for Russia in an important game the way he choked for us in the playoffs last season. I know it's a team sport and he can't be blamed for all the GA today.

I'm glad HF board people are able to see this in a non Shark's team context - when will the Nabby supporters see that he's not a pressure player at this time? Sure, he's having a great regular season as he's had in the past for the Sharks - I want a starting goalie that can take it up another notch under pressure in the playoffs or Olympics, don't you all?

It's hard to feel positive about the Sharks chances in the playoffs with him as the starter at this moment...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:08 AM
rideaucrusher21

Hockey is Canada's #1 Sport. It's understandable that the people there are extremely passionate about this tournament. Although I'm not excusing the arrogance and gloating, I can definitely see why many would act in such a way. In a sense, I won't be too disappointed if the US loses out to Canada since I think a gold for Canada would mean so much more for their country. In the US, stupid NBC won't even put the Canada-US game on the main channel! Ice Dancing! ha! At least Canadians have their priorities straight. Hockey Rules.

Immediately after the game ended when all the Team Canada players celebrated, did anyone see Thornton Hug Getzlaf? I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw that.. ugh

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

I didn't really care who won the game - I just didn't want two things to happen:

1) Injury to any Sharks players
2) Nabby playing like crap

Damnit ... I'm concerned about the playoffs now.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:19 AM
SharksAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
Immediately after the game ended when all the Team Canada players celebrated, did anyone see Thornton Hug Getzlaf? I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw that.. ugh
Haha, I almost threw up when Boyle jumped into Getzlaf's arms after the first goal.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:21 AM
King Awesome Dawg

Nabokov like I said for year now is a joke when there is pressure on the line.

He will be the reason we lose early again. With Thornton being 1b.

Last edited by King Awesome Dawg: 02-25-2010 at 03:32 AM.
King Awesome Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaucrusher21 View Post
You too, huh?

I also understand the passion about the tournament - especially from a Canadian's prospective. I'm also wise enough not to wonder onto the main or olympic boards after a win by any country. I get just as annoyed by Americans and their/our gloating. I only really get steamed at watching all the Canadian fans at the USA/Swiss game earlier rooting against the Americans ... that hatred that sometimes builds in your gut was present and I seriously wanted to punch someone in the face. Guess what I did? Sipped on my Diet Coke and continued watching ... I didn't jump on "the internet" and contribute to the bickering ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:37 AM
Anthony*

each passing day/game makes me more prepared for another playoff collapse this year

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:39 AM
NeverSayNever
ESPN NHL rly ♥s Teal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
I've been going over Yahoo images for Boyle and realized that after every goal, he has to jump up to hug another tall player.
Boy, that's....

NeverSayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Winky

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Ok, i can't hold this in any longer. Nabber was ****! Sure, he'll be pissed and will rebound in his next NHL game - who cares! He's proved again that he's not a pressure player and choked for Russia in an important game the way he choked for us in the playoffs last season. I know it's a team sport and he can't be blamed for all the GA today.

I'm glad HF board people are able to see this in a non Shark's team context - when will the Nabby supporters see that he's not a pressure player at this time? Sure, he's having a great regular season as he's had in the past for the Sharks - I want a starting goalie that can take it up another notch under pressure in the playoffs or Olympics, don't you all?

It's hard to feel positive about the Sharks chances in the playoffs with him as the starter at this moment...
I've been thinking about Nabby's play since I watched the game.

Would this have been considered the biggest game of his life up to this point? He must feel like **** right now.

But I came to a conclusion. It isn't that Nabby is horrible in big games. I think he is just terribly inconsistent ... whether it's game-to game, or throughout a single game.

I thought back to our elimination against Dallas two years ago (I think). Nabby played pretty great in the final game (can't remember the other 5 games). He then went on to steal the WCs for Russia, playing lights-out the entire tournament.

It's lame that only one team wins gold (I know, ridiculous statement). I wanted Nabby to win it ... and be the goalie that led Russia to it's first gold. And I also wanted Cranks to win it ... so he could put his gold next to grandpappy Lars' bronze. And I'd love for Patty, Joe, Heat and Boyle to win it ... if it will help them for the playoffs. And I hope Money Man wins it too ... because he plays for the US.

It's sorta depressing thinking about how this could be the last shot at gold for many of these great players ... Fedorov, Nabby, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Alfredsson, Jagr, etc.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISharkted View Post
Problem is that as Sharks fans, we have seen that every year for the last how many years? Hopefully this is either the year that we break through, or the last year of Nabby between the pipes. Rather see Greiss get a 1 yr shot next year with a cheap vet journeyman backup so the following year sets up Stalock to come up. I would forgo a great regular season if the new goalie gets enough OTJ to give us a fresh playoff perspective.

definitely getting there.....

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
coooldude

Quote:
He's proved again that he's not a pressure player and choked for Russia in an important game the way he choked for us in the playoffs last season.
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/811...0A760B0D811297

I am trying to avoid the knee-jerk here. Nabby had a bad game in a 7-game tournament. In a 7 game tournament 2 years ago, Nabby stood on his head and led Russia to the gold (2008 world champs). Nabby hasn't been stealing every game for us lately, but as far as I remember, most of our failings as a team in the playoffs relate to stagnant offense, stagnant attitude, stale powerplay, etc. Not time to hit the panic button yet, seriously. Especially this year when our team has been hanging him out to dry and he has been stepping up; or that we can't seem to score in the shootout and Nabby has been lights out near the top of the league, getting us extra points almost on his own.

No question he's not in his prime any more, but he also probably has at least a year or so left in him. Grass is often greener with goalies... Luongo hasn't won anything either, yet, and has been criticized in the NHL playoffs before.

Last edited by coooldude: 02-25-2010 at 09:04 AM.
coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:00 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

So who gets the silver? ha ha.

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
Sergei Fedorov's final performance on the Olympic stage

(Nabby probably feels like ****)
Fitting Naby is in this shot as well. He won't be back for them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
agreed. I have a feeling he'll shake this off and earn the cup as consolation for losing the medal!
I really wish this could be true. His inconsistency begs to differ though.

Quote:

And to add, in the end they'll all blame Joe and Heater (a new add in) and Marleau again.

Quick note to add; I know there's a lot of talk on Boyle on his retalitory hit on Semin but, what about the talk of his awesome end to end rush in the assist on Getzlafs goal???? That's why he was so elated after this as he jumped into Getz's arms.