HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wear A Mouth Guard!

Old
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
This. Look at boxing & MMA, they all wear top of the line, expensive mouth guards and still all get KOed.

Mouth guard protects your mouth, it won't prevent your neurons from being rattled around inside your brain box. Maybe a tiny bit from a direct shot to the chin, but anything that impacts the side of the chin/jaw and creates a big torque action on the neck/head, a guard isn't gonna do anything.

It'll help keep your chiklets in place and in one piece and prevent accidentally biting your lips, tongue, or inside of mouth.
When the energy is applied to the jaw, the mouthguard will absorb a good bit of the energy, preventing it from going into your skull and rattling your brain.

Think of it like body armor. Will it protect you from a .22? Yes. Will it protect you from a high power .50 cal slug? Doubt it. They reduce chances of a concussion, not eliminate them entirely.

Also, a mouthguard won't always keep your teeth from getting knocked out. You see cases in the NHL all the time where a guy takes a puck to the mouth, removes his mouthguard and two teeth come out with it. The only guaranteed way to keep your teeth is with a cage or full shield.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Also, a mouthguard won't always keep your teeth from getting knocked out. You see cases in the NHL all the time where a guy takes a puck to the mouth, removes his mouthguard and two teeth come out with it. The only guaranteed way to keep your teeth is with a cage or full shield.
Not always, but it will help.

I know one instance where a guy lost some teeth to a direct slapshot even with a guard. I played with the guy behind the shot. His wristers are harder than most people's slapshots and I've seen his slapper drop a few guys who took em off the foot or body. Most beer leaguers (atleast in the levels I play) don't have that amount of power.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Ragss

The mouth guard they sell at sport chek comes with a guarantee where if you lose teeth or whatnot while wearing their mouthguard they pay you a good chunk of change.

Ragss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:19 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
This is just a dumb comment. Hey! i have been playing for a few months but im going to insult you because you dont wear a cage.

I have never insulted someone because they wanted the extra safety of a visor/cage but this guy makes me want to. Most of the guys that say this stuff dont wear neckguards, dont wear proper fitted elbows or wrapped shinners.
Cool it, bro, I did not want to insult anyone.

And tbh I do think there's this "manly" motivation in most of the players playing without face protection. At least most of the ones I know personally. Maybe you too, and I do not think it is bad, I did not say so. I do not think it's an insult either, maybe for a girl.

If it is a choice allowed by the rules not wearing any face protection - OK with me -, and just as valid as wearing one.

On your other comment: yeah one can break bones too, I played the last two weeks with bruised ribs from a badly missed check , but I still think it has a bit lower risk because of all the gear we wear.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Pierre Gotye

I wear all my pads and wear a mouthguard.

Some guys in our league opt not to wear shoulder pads, but not me.

I got a custom mouthguard from my dentist. I did not like the boil and bite too difficult to talk and breathe with.

Luckily I haven't been whacked in the choppers yet, prolly has something to do with being 6'7.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:56 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
USAH mandates mouthguards in the States, Squirts and up, and I believe Hockey Canada mandates neck guards, yes.
Yep and Mouthgard for MAHG (Squirts) in Quebec is optional.

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:21 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
The mouth guard they sell at sport chek comes with a guarantee where if you lose teeth or whatnot while wearing their mouthguard they pay you a good chunk of change.
You read it wrong

WARRANTY: Shock Doctor, Inc. (“Shock Doctor”) warrants the within mouthguard unit
to be free from defects in material and workmanship which could cause damage or
injury to the sound, natural teeth of the purchaser herein when properly used in a
supervised athletic contest or coach-supervised training session.

They do not claim their mouthguards will protect your teeth.

The only other brand that SportChek carries is EZ guard which doesnt cover anything.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Frankie Spankie

It's all about just wearing a full cage. Why risk injury? Seems dumb to me but to each their own.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
icedog11

You should try a Gladiator Custom mouthguard www.customguards.com

they are the official mouthguard of ECAC Hockey and Hockey East.

Gladiator was a sponsor of Frozen Fenway as well.

They have supported hockey for a long time.

You can get an appropriate mouthguard from them for $50. After you buy one all new guards from the same moldel of your mouth are only $25

Last edited by icedog11: 03-04-2010 at 09:53 AM.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR15 View Post
I never wear a mouthguard. I'm uncomfortable with it. I've fully accepted that notion that if a shot hits me in the mouth and knocks a tooth/teeth out, then i'll be at fault for not wearing one.
I do not wear a mouthguard either. I wore one before and lost my teeth anyway.

If I lose more oh well, I feel comfortable not wearing one.

I did start wearing a visor last summer though mainly because of full cage wearing Jamooks who can't keep their sticks down.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

I did start wearing a visor last summer though mainly because of full cage wearing Jamooks who can't keep their sticks down.
Yeah, cause there aren't any guys wearing visors that carry their sticks high. Maybe everyone should just wear a visor and then there would be no high sticks.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 09:16 PM
alexanderovechkin8

its weird when you go to america you have to wear a mouth guard no neck guard you come to canada you have to wear a neck guard so when i went to a tournament in america my whole team had to get mouthguards and break into them

alexanderovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderovechkin8 View Post
its weird when you go to america you have to wear a mouth guard no neck guard you come to canada you have to wear a neck guard so when i went to a tournament in america my whole team had to get mouthguards and break into them
I've worried about getting my neck cut and was thinking about buying a neckguard.

I say this because in noncontact leagues I play in I am a big guy and lots of times a guy bounces off of me and there were a couple of times they went straight backwards with their feet flying up by my chin where I had to avoid getting a skate in the face.

After seein Zednik getting his artery cut like he did and how easily it happened and could happen in ANY league it made me think about it.

No ambulance sitting there at my rink, I would be dead. I think some equipment just makes sense for life or death reasons like helmets in general and a neck guard thing.

Losing teeth from not wearing a mouth guard is different and more of a choice thing. It won't kill you in other words.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:42 AM
vivianmb

i wear a helmet.
and thats it.
so go ahead tell me im dumb, stupid, gonna get injured. whatever.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:48 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
This is just a dumb comment. Hey! i have been playing for a few months but im going to insult you because you dont wear a cage.

I have never insulted someone because they wanted the extra safety of a visor/cage but this guy makes me want to. Most of the guys that say this stuff dont wear neckguards, dont wear proper fitted elbows or wrapped shinners.
or know how to play...

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I do not wear a mouthguard either. I wore one before and lost my teeth anyway.

If I lose more oh well, I feel comfortable not wearing one.

Guys without visors do it too. I don't know how many times I've gotten sticks right across the face while playing games. Of course, no penalty is ever called, but if I didn't have a visor on, I would have drawn a PP .

Being pretty short doesn't help my cause either.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
PSUJorge

A mouth guard isn't going to 100% protect you from injury, but its going to reduce the chance of it. Boxers wear them because they help lessen concussions, sure they will still get KOd but the mouth guard helps maintain some semblance of safety in the sport. Mouth guards will help protect your teeth, but a direct shot is still likely going to do damage. However, if you're wearing a mouth guard theres a better chance they'll be able to put your teeth back in.

This argument remind me a lot of the concussion argument in football. There used to be a lot of pressure for players with concussions to play, until evidence surfaced that players were suffering severe long-term mental effects from multiple concussions and a second concussion before the first was healed. The NFL and college football are still fighting the stigma that someone who doesn't play with a concussion is "not manly." Hopefully, that is not the reason that anyone would choose to not at least wear a mouthguard. Anytime you're playing a contact/collision sport there is risk of serious injury, but why not take steps to lessen that. A lot of people seem to have the "it'll never happen to me" mentality and that's fine. I don't mean to criticize you. However, I would suggest you sit down and ask yourself if its really worth some of the injuries that might happen.

In beer leagues, that may only be dental surgery or a broken jaw, but realize there's potential for more injury.

PSUJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
TCNorthstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i wear a helmet.
and thats it.
so go ahead tell me im dumb, stupid, gonna get injured. whatever.
Do you just run around the ice? It must get cold out there with no gear on!

TCNorthstars is online now   Reply With Quote