HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is it safe to say that Germany was the worst team in this tournament?

Old
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

vCash: 500
Is it safe to say that Germany was the worst team in this tournament?

With a team boasting 7 NHLers and an international ranking higher than that of Latvia & Norway, I'm pretty disapointed in these group of guys. In all of their 4 games combined, the Germans managed to only score 4 goals in total which would average out to a goal a game. Heck, even the Norwegians managed to score more than the Germans. You could even argue that they weren't close in any of their games including the one against paltry Belarus.

If they weren't the worst team overall then at the very least they have to be the worst team offensively. Now that's something baffles me, I mean they have NHL players on their team and a top 6 nhl forward as well in Marco Sturm; something that neither Norway, Latvia, Switzerland have.

Strange? Do you think?
Also, in the playoff qualifications we saw teams like Latvia taking the Czechs to OT and Norway pushing Slovakia to a 4-3 game. We also saw the Swiss go to a shootout with the Canadians. I don't think Germany really did anything close to what those teams accomplished and not to mention, those teams have way less NHL players.

Any thoughts? Is anybody surprised they fared so poorly?

To me, I'm surprised and disapointed in Germany. I thought they would fare even a bit better than even my country and the rest of the hockey minnows so to speak. Or maybe using the term worst team in the tournament is not right maybe just most disapointing team in the tournament.

Last edited by Eagle Eye Cherry: 02-24-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Eagle Eye Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Captain Charisma*

out of all the lesser elite teams in this tourney...I expected Germany to be the best of the lot.

Captain Charisma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Tombernack

Its a very short tournament and a lot of teams just don't gel right off the bat and it costs them. Over a longer series of games, I'm sure the Germans would find their chemistry and handle Latvia/Norway.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Siberian

Yes, but not based on the loss against Canada. Their overall performance was poor, they didn't show the heart the other teams did.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
ILuvLucic*

Pretty much.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Antithesis
Member Ryan Hollweg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Charisma View Post
out of all the lesser elite teams in this tourney...I expected Germany to be the best of the lot.
I did as well. More NHL talent than any other second tier team. That said they put forth an absolutely pitiful effort. Looked like they wanted to go home.

Latvia on the other hand gets an A+ for effort. Their boys deserve a heros welcome at home..

Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Ishdul

1. It's really pointless to debate this when they didn't face Latvia/Norway and just got predictably smoked against an Canadian team that was trying hard.
2. Why is Belarus paltry?

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
Its a very short tournament and a lot of teams just don't gel right off the bat and it costs them. Over a longer series of games, I'm sure the Germans would find their chemistry and handle Latvia/Norway.
Exactly. It surprises me that NHL fans used to our playoff format find any meaning in these one off games. Olympic gold is relatively meaningless in comparison to our system of determining true champions. Unfortunately, that fact hampers the Olympic tournament and there really isn't anything they can do about it given that the best players are committed to Pro leagues.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:55 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I rather put it the other way around. I am surprised that many team actually put up good games against teams filled with NHL players. It is really good for the game that Latvia and Switzerland for example is up there putting up shows.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

I'd go with Latvia.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
cenas*

Don't we have actual results to prove or disprove this?

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
OverTheCap

I was surprised at how poorly they played. They had more NHLers on their roster than Latvia, Norway, Belarus, or the Swiss. Sturm, Hecht, Goc, Seidenberg, Greiss, Ehrhoff.

Germany's offense was pretty much non-existent, they were shutout in half of the games they played. Their strategy consisted of dumping the puck in offensive zone and then retreating back for a line change or to play defense. I'm not sure if it was Krupp's coaching or the team just never got it going, but they were painful to watch.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
Exactly. It surprises me that NHL fans used to our playoff format find any meaning in these one off games. Olympic gold is relatively meaningless in comparison to our system of determining true champions. Unfortunately, that fact hampers the Olympic tournament and there really isn't anything they can do about it given that the best players are committed to Pro leagues.
Captain Obvious to the rescue. I know it hurts you bombed the last time, but i'm sure you'll do better this time.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:12 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

More NHL players also means less chemistry though. Krupp also is a pretty inexperienced coach. The German team had problems with preparation not only because of the NHL but also because of the DEL.

I don't think anyone would confuse German hockey with a well-run organization.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
KRM

Yea, but their jerseys kicked ass. I got major flashbacks to '94 seeing a team sporting a black jersey with yellow lettering and red details in Vancouver.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Seaward*

easily... my thread about Norway was dead wrong.

Germany was the worst hands down.

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Pyke*

Personally I thought the pool involving Russia was the weakest in the tournament, which was stunning; since they looked like the strongest going into the competition.

Norway nearly defeated Slovakia, despite being blown out by both the United States and Canada; Latvia nearly toppled the Czech Republic despite being nowhere near as skilled; Slovakia managed to upset Russia...

All of that said, I think Germany played the worst, but really, do you expect them to beat Sweden, Finland or Canada; even if they are playing well?

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
As a german I was pretty disappointed with the effort of this team, especially with the game against Belarus. I donīt think itīs a surprise that the games against Sweden, Finland and Canada got lost, but the effort in the only game against an opponent on the same level was poor. So therefore I would say yes, we were the worst team.
And I think one of the reasons is Krupp. I donīt think he is a smart coach. It started with the roster, not enough natural centers and some questionable decisions (no Gogulla, Dietrich or Schutz,) continued by the decision to put the NHL players together. I think that was a bad move, too. He should have spread them over several lines. I see no progress under Krupp and I would be happy if his tenure as coach would be over sooner than later

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Washington Capitals

Yeah, I would agree.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Like Wall
I am Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
I'd go with Latvia.
As the worst team?

Latvians also lost 8:2 to Russia. Loosing to Canada 8:2 is not a big deal, even if it's Germany. Because CAN and RUS are basically equal to some measure. The Germans are not the worst team. They beat us before Olympics in an exhibition game

Like Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Piokinen

Agree but what did you all expect from a team that would have been relegated from WC last year?
German league is overrated and a total joke.
They lack national talent. When you watch German clubs 50%+ consist of US/CAN players and 85%+ of the top talent from German league consists of US/CANīs.
Fine Sturn, Goc, Hecht, Ehrhoff, Seidenberg are OK players on the NHL level but behind these guys this team totally lacks talent.

I wouldnīt even rank Germany top 15 in the world. Kazakhstan, Austria and Denmark are ahead of us and France and Slovenia are a maybe.

Piokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
I'd go with Latvia.
I would have agreed until yesterday's 3rd period. They showed more heart and skill in those 20 minutes than I saw from Germany throughout the tournament.

I was actually quite impressed with the stickhandling of some of the Latvian forwards.

Germany shouldn't have been the worst team in this tournament, but they certainly were the most disappointing to me. Part of the problem was coaching -- it was far too negative, without any real benefit for their goals against stats.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
SabresSharks

Biggest disappointment for sure. With 6 NHLers, and some good quality players among them - Ehrhoff, Sturm, Seidenberg - I expected better from them.

SabresSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Yeah the effort was pretty awful.

At least their jersey looked awesome.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
They may finish last but I strongly disagree that they were the worst team, in fact I'd say were it a tournament for the non-hockey powers they'd more than likely win a medal. You want a close game against a hockey power? How about How about holding Sweden to a mere 2 goals, and keeping the shots against close to even. In a minor team vs major power thats about on par with taking the Czech's to overtime or almost getting to OT with the Slovaks.

And the only game they had against a non-hockey power, Belarus, did anyone even watch it? Yes they lost, but the Germans completely dominated the game, outshooting Belarus 40-17. They dominated the game with the majority of play being in the Belarus zone, except the few times Belarus actually managed to break out and get a rush going they converted on their chances, and finally added an empty net goal.

So in a sense, the same way the 'almost there' teams like Switzerland and Germany play against the big teams, they get the shoe on the other foot when playing their fellow second tier hockey nations. In two hours the Swiss are going to try to do to the US what Belarus almost did to them.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote