HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Is it safe to say that Germany was the worst team in this tournament?

Old
02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Mess View Post
I'd go with Latvia.
Wrong. The Germans were far worse especially when you consider they have a few NHL players and the latvians have Karlis Slowstins.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
garbageteam

vCash: 500
7 NHLers actually, if you count Sulzer. 1 NHL goaltender, 3 NHL defensemen, 3 NHL forwards. Phil Gogulla wouldn't have been a difference maker, but it was pretty bone-headed to exclude him given how offensively inept the DEL squad seemed to be. I barely watched the German games tbh, but Marcel Goc seems to be their best offensive spark... I know he was a first round pick way back when, but that's pretty awful. I think he scored like 3 of their 5 goals this whole tournament

They were very unlucky to not get a goal in the Sweden game, but completely collapsed in the Finland game. Unfortunate to have drawn a pissed off, motivated Canada in the elimination round. I really would've picked them to finish top of the bottom 4 teams in this tourney, rather than the other way around. I still think in a 7 game series they could do it against the likes of Latvia/Norway, they just need a better system, better coach and lots more practice together.

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

You could make a case that the Germans had the worst performance in this tournament but that doesn't equate to worst team at all.

IMO when you look at the schedule the Germans really only had one "winnable" game and other than that they did a pretty good job of limiting chances and goals against up until the Canada game.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:16 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
7 NHLers actually, if you count Sulzer. 1 NHL goaltender, 3 NHL defensemen, 3 NHL forwards. Phil Gogulla wouldn't have been a difference maker, but it was pretty bone-headed to exclude him given how offensively inept the DEL squad seemed to be. I barely watched the German games tbh, but Marcel Goc seems to be their best offensive spark... I know he was a first round pick way back when, but that's pretty awful. I think he scored like 3 of their 5 goals this whole tournament

They were very unlucky to not get a goal in the Sweden game, but completely collapsed in the Finland game. Unfortunate to have drawn a pissed off, motivated Canada in the elimination round. I really would've picked them to finish top of the bottom 4 teams in this tourney, rather than the other way around. I still think in a 7 game series they could do it against the likes of Latvia/Norway, they just need a better system, better coach and lots more practice together.
Seriously, I still don't get why Krupp left Schubert or Gogulla off the roster. Why does Germany have to have Krupp, and the Swiss get Krüger?

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:28 PM
ts

IMO we only had 1, ONE, good tournement since the departure of Zach in 2004, who wasn't really lucky in his last year, either.
And that was the 2nd stage WC against France, Japan and Hungary as the biggest challengers.
Woulnd't this years world championships be held in Germany, we would have been relegated the 2nd time in 5 years after the last wc.

It's a shame, but I'd say the even bigger problem on the team weren't our NHL'ers, but "elite" DEL'ers like Wolf, Greilinger, Pätzold (haha),... Not saying, I'm happy with the play of Ehrhoff, Sturm an co, but they most of them at least sometimes showed heart, effort and talent. The worst of them was Sulzer who looked really like Bakos II, Schmidt being Bakos III.. Oh lord...

What a desaster! Losing to the big ones was expected, but after the unusual close game against Sweden they looked totally out of place on the ice.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
V22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
Its a very short tournament and a lot of teams just don't gel right off the bat and it costs them. Over a longer series of games, I'm sure the Germans would find their chemistry and handle Latvia/Norway.
====================
Germany team walking every year between first and second division in World championship.Latvia from 1997 always play in higher division.
Latvia have KHL team and 4 NHL players(Skrastins,Bartulis,Kulda,Ivanans).I think all German league(DEL) clubs lost to Dinamo.Why U think that Germany have strong team?

V22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Germany was by far the worst team of the tournament. They're so bad in offense, it's not even funny. But that's what happens when you have John ****in Tripp on your second line.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Shareefruck

They just didn't realize that this year the lesser talented teams were supposed to play bat-**** crazy like the others have. So they got left in the dust.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:51 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

It's depressing being a fan of the German team, no doubt about it.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
PanniniClaus

It really is a toss up between Latvia and Germany but Germany were handed worst team honors overall. As the poster said before me - John Tripp - Klinge, Bakos, Schmidt, Rankel, Felski, Hospelt Greilinger, Sulzer - just looked totally out of place. The Latvians killed themselves with poor discipline and poor puck management. They salvaged their tourney with a tight loss to the Czechs.

It was truly painful to watch the Germans play - but then the Germans have had very few big wins in the last 20 years. The thrashing of the Czechs in 96 stands out at the World Cup.

The Junior team knocking off the US in 06 comes to mind. can't think of many others.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
It was truly painful to watch the Germans play - but then the Germans have had very few big wins in the last 20 years. The thrashing of the Czechs in 96 stands out at the World Cup.

The Junior team knocking off the US in 06 comes to mind. can't think of many others.
Add Salt Lake City with a fith place.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

For the Germans, did the German commentator really say

"Willst du dir den Tag versauen, musst du Uwe's Eishockey schauen." ?

Lol.

Old
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
SerbianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Personally I thought the pool involving Russia was the weakest in the tournament, which was stunning; since they looked like the strongest going into the competition.

Norway nearly defeated Slovakia, despite being blown out by both the United States and Canada; Latvia nearly toppled the Czech Republic despite being nowhere near as skilled; Slovakia managed to upset Russia...
: laugh:

SerbianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Germany was by far the worst team of the tournament. They're so bad in offense, it's not even funny. But that's what happens when you have John ****in Tripp on your second line.
Posted via Mobile Device
John Tripp wasn't on the second line.

The second line was Wolf-Mulock-Greilinger. The reason why Tripp got more minutes is because he got time on the penalty-kill and because the second line disappeared completely. They managed an incredible 10 shots combined, which is simply embarrassing over four games.

The team was way too passive on defense, especially when shorthanded. The offense is usually coming and going, this time it was gone again. Though I do think it has more to do with the style of play. They started of very defensively against Sweden and attempted the same against Finland. They simply can't switch the offense on again when they actually have to make the play.
They probably would have looked much better against Belarus if it had been he first game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
For the Germans, did the German commentator really say

"Willst du dir den Tag versauen, musst du Uwe's Eishockey schauen." ?

Lol.
No, I think it was "Willst du dir den Tag versauen, musst du Deutschlands (oder Deutsches) Eishockey schaun".

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
SerbianHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts View Post
Add Salt Lake City with a fith place.
what?

SerbianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Syek

Hockey isn't Germany's forte, but they're 2nd in the Olympic Games with 23 medals

Syek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
barcs

Read my mind. I was going to make this thread today. I'd say by far the most disappointing squad but a lot can be chalked up to their system.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:14 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

I still don't understand why Tore ****ing Vikingstud looked like an offensive dynamo and Müller and Greilinger who don't really have worse stats in the DEL look like they have barely ever tried to score a goal before??

It's got to be a mental thing as well. They are too used to losing.

Old
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
HackandLube

But they scored half their goals on Luongo!!!

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
No, I think it was "Willst du dir den Tag versauen, musst du Deutschlands (oder Deutsches) Eishockey schaun".
Translation please.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:30 PM
smitty10

Well the team would have been much better if Schubert, Dietrich, Schutz, and Gogulla had been on the team instead of Bakos, Schmidt, Tripp and Rankel, and if they had just given the start to Greiss every game instead of throwing Patzold in. I just think Krupp did a bad job of picking this team.

IMO the team would have been much better if it had looked like this:

Sturm-Goc-Hecht
Gogulla-Mulock-Wolf
Greilinger-Schutz-Felski
Muller-Hospelt-Klinge

Ehrhoff-Seidenberg
Schubert-Sulzer
Holzer-Butenschon
Ficenec-Dietrich

Greiss
Endras

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
severian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
Exactly. It surprises me that NHL fans used to our playoff format find any meaning in these one off games. Olympic gold is relatively meaningless in comparison to our system of determining true champions. Unfortunately, that fact hampers the Olympic tournament and there really isn't anything they can do about it given that the best players are committed to Pro leagues.
Preemptively making excuses for Canada are we?

severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
Translation please.
"If you wanna ruin your day, watch the German hockey team play."

And yes we sucked. I hope they finally get rid of Krupp.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The biggest problem with Germany wasn't a lack of talent, it was a lack of gusto. They played timidly, from beginning to end. There was some physical play, but no-one seized the initiative, no-one took any risks to score a goal. They looked slow and scared, but if they had put their necks on the line like the Norwegians or the Latvians did yesterday, they should have at least made their games close.

I sort of blame Krupp -- it seemed as if Germany had no plan B

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
"If you wanna ruin your day, watch the German hockey team play."

It even works in English!