HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rinne's deal sets the bar for Halak?

Old
02-26-2010, 05:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Why was he the Calder Cup MVP???

He looked shakey at the AHL level?

Come on, his stats in that run were great:

22 games, 15 wins and 6 losses, 2 shutouts, a .936 save percentage and a 2.06 goals against.

If you were there you obviously were watching the games with a bag on your head and no holes cut out to see the game.
A good story, right place at the right time, and easier than picking one guy out of a "top 6" that had no one star shining brighter than the other 5 that helped will that team along? His stats line was really impressive though, and that you can't take away from him (this sounds familiar... a goalie putting up amazing stats, and his fans seem puzzled as to how others can still question his consistency, calibre, whether he's just "playing over his head", etc...).

But seriously, he played really well and was voted the MOST valuable player - not the ONLY valuable player, and that's what everyone else's point is here. Some will say that the team could have still won it with Halak, or Goalie X. Whatever. Price still DID it. He just didn't do it alone. Not by any stretch of a fanboy's imagination.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Pretty sure he just said that they obviously wouldn't have won without Price, as Halak was allowed to go gain some international experience in the World Championships (always a good decision when looking to develop your prospects). He say Price was A reason, not THE reason. You agreed with that, btw, by bringing up the Chipchura line (which I agree with).

I don't know how you can paint that team as "the underdogs in every series" either. I mean, you're the guy who supposedly follows this team as much as anyone. You should know they were only a few points behind Rochester (and Chicago, for that matter) in the season standings, and had some pretty epic offensive explosions against them in the regular season (6-0 win, 8-4 win, for example). Manitoba I'll give you, but against each other during the season, they played a bunch of close games (many of which went to OT/SO), and even traded shutouts of each other during another stretch. The Bulldogs team that did that (with Halak, mind you, not Price) probably wasn't feeling like a true underdog at all heading into that series.

That leaves Chicago (yawn, with Halak between the pipes during the regular season, they ran a 3-0-1 record against them, in case you've forgotten that already) and finally Hersey. THAT was the impressive series, as they beat the best team in the regular season to seal the deal. One series as a true "underdog". That's it.
Hey thanks for trying to tell me what someone else said. Here's the quote,

Quote:
We're talking about the Calder Cup, and the games he played in Hamilton, he was awful
AS for being underdogs, what's your defintion of underdog in the playoffs? Mine is when you go into a playoff series and the team your playing is ranked ahead of you. I always thought that was pretty clearcut but I guess not. Hamilton was 3rd in the AHL that season, yes I do remember it, cause I saw almost every game as I do every year since they started showing webcasts. If a team has a winning record against another team but is lower in the standings, then I consider them the underdog.

Hamilton finished that season in 3rd place in the North Divison, 6th in the West Conference and 11th overall in the AHL. So, they were underdogs vs Rochester since Rochester was 2nd in the divison and had home ice advantage, they were the underdogs against the Moose who had home ice, underdogs vs the Wolves who had home ice and under dogs against the Bears who were the #1 team in the AHL with 114 points.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:43 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
A good story, right place at the right time, and easier than picking one guy out of a "top 6" that had no one star shining brighter than the other 5 that helped will that team along? His stats line was really impressive though, and that you can't take away from him (this sounds familiar... a goalie putting up amazing stats, and his fans seem puzzled as to how others can still question his consistency, calibre, whether he's just "playing over his head", etc...).

But seriously, he played really well and was voted the MOST valuable player - not the ONLY valuable player, and that's what everyone else's point is here. Some will say that the team could have still won it with Halak, or Goalie X. Whatever. Price still DID it. He just didn't do it alone. Not by any stretch of a fanboy's imagination.
True enough, he didn't do it alone, no team wins a Championship on their own. a strong cast is needed, although there are always one or two that are leaned on harder and look to carry them as well.

This team was a good team, and Price was put into a good situation, but lets be realistic as this could have been an overwhelming experience and heavy burden to shoulder as well at 19 and playing against Pro's too.

He obviously stepped up a bit.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote