HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The Boyle Retaliation - Video Link In Post#1

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

vCash: 500
He should be suspended. That was purely intentional and retaliatory. Real bone-headed move on Boyle's part.

Old
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
In retrospect Boyle shouldve let it go and let Semin take the penalty, but I dont know what its like out there. Personally, im glad he stood up for himself.
Standing up for himself would have been hitting Semin face to face, the way Semin hit him, not sneaking up on him and acting like a *****.

Old
Fuzzy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
Someone is a little bitter.

Definitely a dirty slew foot though.
Not really. I actually wanted to root for Canada but they are making it nearly impossible, even with my favorite player on the team (Nash).

Old
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
He put himself into position to get crushed by a big hit, has a hissy fit and does some dirty slewfooting on Semin in retaliation. It was bush league.

Clock

The Semin hit was legal, first of all.

Second of all, slewfooting a guy for retaliation... rock on, Boyle.

I vote "fail."

Old
Jesus

Dirty? yeah.

But Canada plays far too nice in these tourneys so it was actually nice to see something like that. People already hate and want Canada to lose. I say give them more a reason to feel that way.

Old
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

As a Flyers fan, I liked the hit. I liked Boyle's retaliation.

Old
Mr Lahey*

LOL at the Americans crying foul as break-neck Backes plays with thier jersey on...jokes

seriously though, slew foot but not that bad.

Old
02-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

This thread sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel.

Old
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
The unabashed homer in me loved it.

In retrospect Boyle shouldve let it go and let Semin take the penalty, but I dont know what its like out there. Personally, im glad he stood up for himself.
What Boyle did was not stnading up for himself. I realize that dropping the gloves is not an option, but kicking a guys skates out from behind is about as cowardly as it gets

Old
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
It kind of reminded me of the Bertuzzi incident.. these kinds of retaliations cant be tolerated.
How? The Bertuzzi incident hardly resembles this at all. Comparing that to the Bertuzzi incident is like comparing a hit to a hit from behind.

It was uncalled for but it wasn't overly dirty like people are making it out to be. Not suspension worthy for sure and he got the penalty he should have got (although Semin's hit was clean).

Old
02-24-2010, 09:01 PM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
@ Boyle's Side Russian Leg Sweep.

Seriously though, this, as well as other dirty tactics - some dirtier, some not as bad - are the alternative to fighting. I'm sure Boyle wanted to punch him in the head but that's a one-game suspension, where as a much more dangerous slewfoot is 2 minutes.
Well we remember what happened when a goon hunted a player with a cheap shot punch to the head from behind.

Old
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
Live by the sword, die by the sword. They came in our house, they got hit, they got pounded, they quit and decided to play dirty. I have no respect for them.
Semin's hit was obviously clean.

Old
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I was really confused watching the whole thing. They talked about the hit on Boyle being late and high but in all reality Boyle just barely got ride of the puck and was hunched over and off balance when he got hit so its not like Semin hit him high on purpose. The only thing that was a little dirty about it was the fact that he hit him like 5 feet from the boards but overall I thought it was a clean hit, not even deserving of a penalty.

I thought Boyles retaliation was dirty. Coming up from behind and taking a guys feet out is a dangerous play. Anyone that has ever had that happen to them can vouch for that. In a lot of leagues that is an automatic suspension, I know is youth hockey it is for sure. In a game with the win in the bag I think Boyle would have pissed him off more by giving him a little bump, laughing in his face to let him know the hit didnt hurt him and point to the scoreboard.

I noticed they also said the Volchenkov hit on Staal was "borderline dirty" which I dont agree with either. That kind of play happens every time two guys go into a corner, Staal lost his footing and fell, nothing dirty about it.

And no, I'm not bias at all. I wanted Canada to win, theres just something about Russians I dont care for but I didnt think either of those hits were dirty but I do feel like the Boyle retaliation was.

Old
02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Jack Herer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggo66 View Post
It's called hockey. Move on.
Wait, what? Getting pissy because you were checked legally and then subsequently slewfooting the guy is hockey?

Seriously, some of you people are so ridiculous it's laughable. Then again, this is HFboards, so I basically expected these stupid-ass comments.

Old
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

It was uncalled for but it wasn't overly dirty like people are making it out to be.
He trips out the feet and throws him back with a stick to the chest/neck. That had a serious chance of Semin ending up with a severe head injury from hitting his head on the ice.

Old
tfong

Dirty hit from Boyle. There was no need for it since they were going to win. Plus Semin's hit on him was a plain shoulder, no elbow in involved and Boyle was crouching so it looked like a head hit but it wasn't.

Man i can't believe this goof plays for Team Canada despite the hockey ability he brings. Reminds me of Patrice Cormier.

Old
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Who cares? Both are fine. Semin's hit was borderline considering the situation and Boyle's was dirty in response. Boyle doesn't respond like that unless he's got a good reason and he gets hit all the time.

Semin's actual hit may be clean but the context of it makes it borderline. Throwing a hit like that in the position the player is in with the game not in doubt is actually not clean at all.

Old
soccerguy315

Boyle got checked... happens every minute in every hockey game.

Showed his true class though.

Old
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
How? The Bertuzzi incident hardly resembles this at all. Comparing that to the Bertuzzi incident is like comparing a hit to a hit from behind.

It was uncalled for but it wasn't overly dirty like people are making it out to be. Not suspension worthy for sure and he got the penalty he should have got (although Semin's hit was clean).
He went after another player and attacked him when he was not prepared and not even close to the puck.. he easily could have gotten a serious injury out of that.

Old
HighOnFire

vCash: 133
Russia played like crap...Semin's hit, while legal, was a bit much considering the score and time left. Boyle tapped him, Semin turned, Boyle dropped him. I was surprised that Boyle would do that, more of a Pronger move, but Russia was getting chippy and I have no problem with what Boyle did.....The whole game was a boring pile of **** anyway.

Old
Bionda
Packers: 1-1

What's a decent resource for game highlights, can't find them anywhere,
I need another look at what happened. As I remember it was a push+slewfoot.. just old time hockey in my books, nothing too egregious.
Then again my memory of the play is fuzzy.
I didn't think the Volchenkov hit was dirty..

Old
02-24-2010, 09:04 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Are people really justifying a slew foot? And that wasn't a passive type slew-foot. Boyle pushed Semin's chest down as well.

I didn't even see what the big deal with the Semin hit was. Boyle wasn't suspecting it. What was so dirty about it?

Old
HenriquesJawLine

Boyle's a *****, I remember a few years ago he jumped Zach Parise

Old
Macfeast

The swedish broadcast had a quick interview with Boyle after the game - he said he thought Semins hit was clean and that he lost his head a bit.

Honestly, I don't really care that much about what Semin and Boyle did. I'm only confused on how Semin got a penalty out of it.

Closed Thread