HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The future of Russian NT could/should be decided in the next 5 days

Old
02-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Vladsky

vCash: 500
The future of Russian NT could/should be decided in the next 5 days

No excuses. Russia lost this game fair and square, just as I predicted some 12 hrs ago. A scoreline of 4-2 Canada would be a better indicator of the two team's relative strength, if not for Nabby.

There are things which can, and which cannot be changed about this team. First of all, I would still argue that depth is a non-factor in Olympic hockey. Just look at the Swiss team, which held the mighty Canada and US teams to 3 goals (not counting the US EN goal). Russia is weak on on role players and D, but it is still >>>>>> Swiss on paper.

So, with a roster to beat (on paper), coaching explains 80% of this team's failure. Bykov is a IIHF-caliber coach, period; on top of this, he did a sloppy job of scouting his NHLers and their respective strengths and weaknesses. It would take an accomplished NA coach, a former Russian NHLer turned coach, or a European wizard like Kruger or BAG to revive this team, teach it to play a disciplined game and produce a result next time around. I really do hope that Fetisov fires Bykov in the next 5 days, and appoints Nemchinov as a stand-in, before a long-term solution is found.

Even if coaching is resolved, Russia will still be facing the remaining 20%, which is poor teamwork. This goes beyond hockey. Russians are ****** team players in general, since the average mentality turned very individualistic since the fall of Communism. Can this be cured? Not in my lifetime, I am afraid.

Congrats to all Team Canada fans, a rematch of group game vs. USA is what I would like to see in the final, with Canada taking the gold medal.

Vladsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladsky View Post
A scoreline of 4-2 Canada would be a better indicator of the two team's relative strength, if not for Nabby.
I thought he played pretty well considering the incredible amount of pressure he was facing. Maybe one goal, or two at the most he could've had back, but Canada was just buzzing the whole first 30 minutes.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
u8mylife47

As a supporter of Team Russia, I respectfully disagree.

The coaching is not good.

However, the roster will always be inferior to Canada. Team Canada never has any holes. They have the best goalies, the best defense, and (arguably) the best offense.

Our top two lines are roughly on par with their top two lines... except their their third and fourth lines are significantly better than our 3rd and 4th.

Team Canada always has a distinct advantage. On paper, they should always be heavily favourited. With their roster, they should never lose.

It's just funny when they do.

u8mylife47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I thought he played pretty well considering the incredible amount of pressure he was facing. Maybe one goal, or two at the most he could've had back, but Canada was just buzzing the whole first 30 minutes.
I agree. There were something like 24 shots in the first period. It was an onslaught. The only goal i thought her really messed up on was Morrows coming from behind the net.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
No excuses. Russia lost this game fair and square, just as I predicted some 12 hrs ago. A scoreline of 4-2 Canada would be a better indicator of the two team's relative strength, if not for Nabby.
I wouldn't go that far.

Russia's defence was letting Canada waltz in to the high-percentage scoring areas.

Switching Nabokov may have provided a wake-up call to his team, but if they had played the same in front of Bryzgalov, I don't see much of a difference in the final score.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Rysto

Quote:
First of all, I would still argue that depth is a non-factor in Olympic hockey.
Laughable. Canada's third and fourth lines scored what, 5 goals tonight? Canada's depth destroyed Russia's depth in this game. It might have been the single biggest difference between the teams.

And not only were they scoring, but Canada's fourth line completely shut down the Ovechkin line. Now, a huge part of that was the player of the defence, but the ability to send out defensively responsible players with offensive upside was a huge advantage for Canada that kept the Russians pinned in their end for long stretches.

Rysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Vladsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
Laughable. Canada's third and fourth lines scored what, 5 goals tonight? Canada's depth destroyed Russia's depth in this game. It might have been the single biggest difference between the teams.

And not only were they scoring, but Canada's fourth line completely shut down the Ovechkin line. Now, a huge part of that was the player of the defence, but the ability to send out defensively responsible players with offensive upside was a huge advantage for Canada that kept the Russians pinned in their end for long stretches.
When you don't have depth, you simply choose different tactics, which is the lesson taught by today's Swiss performance against the US. Just insert 2-3 Russian top 6 forwards in the Swiss lineup, and they send Team US home.

Old
02-24-2010, 11:04 PM
TheJudge

Quote:
When you don't have depth, you simply choose different tactics, which is the lesson taught by today's Swiss performance against the US. Just insert 2-3 Russian top 6 forwards in the Swiss lineup, and they send Team US home.
That's probably true.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
DanTHEMan71

The very first thing they need to address is defence. It looked shaky all tournament and finally when it was put up against Canada it unravelled.

They literally did nothing. The just watched the Canadians skate into the zone and skate along the boards. They would skate right beside them and not do a thing.

Going into Sochi, Russia has 4 years to develop a tougher Russian game. They need to make better selections on defence by throwing in some shut down guys. Problem is Russia doesn't have too many options in that category.

Either way this this was a huge embarrassment from Russia. So much promise going into the Games. I hope our Russians will change drastically for Sochi.

DanTHEMan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Luigi Lemieux

I think they have world class forwards but their defense is just atrocious. I didn't realize how bad they were until i watched the game tonight. It looks like they are stuck in another era because you cannot play defense like that and expect to win a best-on-best international tournament. A fundamental change in philosophy is needed before Russia is a serious contender again.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:12 PM
jbean

It was almost as if some of the super stars canceled each other out (Crosby/Ovechkin) but Canada's depth put us over the top. Chris Pronger is arguably our worst defencemen, Russia's lower defense pairings (even their higher ones) were completely out matched. This would've been a closer game if Russia had a healthy Markov and defencemen that can shut down our forwards rather then guys like Grebeshkov.

If you want to point fingers I think the Russian management should get a huge amount of blame for leaving Zubov off this team.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Vladsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTHEMan71 View Post
They need to make better selections on defence by throwing in some shut down guys.
This. But again, this requires an intelligent, tactics-savvy coach, and Bykov does not fall into this category.

In other words, Russian ice hockey NT needs its own Guus Hiddink.

Old
02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Nedved

russia needs to produce new dman. markov is hurt and gonchar is getting old.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Vladsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
t looks like they are stuck in another era because you cannot play defense like that and expect to win a best-on-best international tournament.
Agree 100%. But then again, the root cause is that the coaching staff haven't got a clue.

Old
02-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Preach

do you think having NHL'ers instead of the KHL line would have made a difference?

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Siberian

Zino was on one knee and Fedorov wasn't able to be full time center. We basically had two great centers going against Canada. Can't win the Olympics with two centers.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Tim Sobakin

Yeah, Bykov definitely has to go. This team needs some fresh start. With squad like this it's unexcusable to lose like that even to Canada.

Tim Sobakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Incognito

Quote:
A scoreline of 4-2 Canada would be a better indicator of the two team's relative strength, if not for Nabby.
Nabokov was not on his game tonight, and if Bryzgalov had started, the score would have probably been closer. For sure, Canada is not better than Russia by a 7-3 ratio. It is much closer than that, and you guys are still a top two world super power. Here's to many more years of the great rivalry between Russia and Canada.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:36 AM
OrrNumber4

I have to defend Nabby a little bit. First three goals, he didn't have a chance on. Completely blown coverage by the Russian defense combined by a powerful Canadian offense....the fourth, fifth, and sixth goals Nabokov should have stopped, but I think after the score was 3-0 Nabokov's confidence was lost. At that point, Canada was steamrolling Russia and Nabokov had likely lost confidence in his team. I mean, Morrow shouldn't have been able to walk out in front; on the fifth goal, no way Getzlaf should have been able to walk in like that, and Perry was left completely untouched. Weber's shot Nabokov should have easily stopped, but Ovechkin had a few seconds where had he stuck his stick in Weber's lane, that puck goes out of play...Nabokov also made some great saves early on...

Russia was just unprepared. Maybe someone should have dropped the gloves? Really seemed like they were asleep during the game...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:37 AM
ILuvLucic*

5 days? That's pretty quick.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:40 AM
OVrocks

Russia has amazing offensive talent, good puck moving Dmen who can run the PP but awful coaching. There's no way we'd lose 7-3 if Bruce Budreau was coaching this team his system would work great with our skillset. We should recruit him to coach our next olympic squad.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:42 AM
BobDobolina

I suppose Bykov's time has come. Shame he had to go this way. I just really, really hope they don't replace him with some Soviet era dinosaur.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Siberian

It would an idiocy to replace the most successful coach in new Russian hockey history.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
OVrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
It would an idiocy to replace the most successful coach in new Russian hockey history.
We have not won jack when playing best on best tourneys(aka Olympics), quite frankly nobody gives a crap about WHC because most of the best NHLers don't play in those.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Siberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVrocks View Post
We have not won jack when playing best on best tourneys(aka Olympics), quite frankly nobody gives a crap about WHC because most of the best NHLers don't play in those.
Russian hockey had been in 15 year funk, Russia couldn't win WHC, forget Olympics. Only in the last three years Russian hockey started making a comeback.