HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The future of Russian NT could/should be decided in the next 5 days

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
  #101
malkins
Registered User
 
malkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alpha Centauri
Country: Canada
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVrocks View Post
After thinking it over I came to a realization that Canada just had a better team from top to bottom. Russia has the best player in the world, but Canda's depth is really unmatched. That game reminded me of the Pens/Caps series, individually Caps had the best player but Pens had a better team and we couldn't break their forecheck to save our lives much like Russia vs Canada.
Well, Rus-Can game did, somewhat resemble the game 7 between Pit and Was, I agree.

Still, I believe that we need an NHL-caliber coach for our national program.
Be done with Bikovs and Co.
I am truly ashamed of my team's performance, but the sad thing is: we could not have done any better with a joke-of-a-coaching staff that we have.
To make the matter worse, Medvedev wants to keep that idiot Bikov.
Seriously, is he on drugs or something?

malkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
  #102
NOTENOUGHBREWER
Registered User
 
NOTENOUGHBREWER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkins View Post
Well, Rus-Can game did, somewhat resemble the game 7 between Pit and Was, I agree.

Still, I believe that we need an NHL-caliber coach for our national program.
Be done with Bikovs and Co.
I am truly ashamed of my team's performance, but the sad thing is: we could not have done any better with a joke-of-a-coaching staff that we have.
To make the matter worse, Medvedev wants to keep that idiot Bikov.
Seriously, is he on drugs or something?
If Bykov is liked by the players they could keep him in charge, but have assistant coaches to run the systems and the tactics. And also have someone more familiar with the NHL picking the players.

Most of all, the 2014 will be back to IIHF rules so Bykov's style will be better then. I dont see why so many Russians want such huge changes.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:52 AM
  #103
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,556
vCash: 500
Please, no more ******** claims that Bykov has to go. One loss in regular time in 31 games. That is one phenomenal record by Bykov. He just went against superior coaching and phenomenal management that was generously financed by Hockey Canada. He went against the arguably best NHL GM, the best NHL coach and very good assistant coaches, who were beaten by Bykov at the two last Worlds and as you may know, one beaten person is worth two unbeaten.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:42 PM
  #104
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,315
vCash: 500
People often talk about Russian skill, but is it different than Soviet skill, which was about playing as a unit and crisp passing setting up empty net goals. To my mind Canada played the Soviet game on Wednesday, while not completely forgetting that Canadians play physical.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
  #105
Metallian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
I think it is time to Bykov go. Bykov has too much personal problems with players who would be valuable to national team. Frolov was in Bykovs team last yers WC but after that something happened. Way too many valuable guys were left out because Bykov has problems with them personaly. How many times Bykov has slapped Kovalev. For this kind of tournament you have pull best posiible forces your country has. Bykov should have taken more assistant who knows NHL and that aspect of the game.

Metallian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:37 PM
  #106
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
Some Russian fans have mentioned that Bykov does not know the NHL enough. Well maybe if they had a management team who could scout the league, they'd have a better idea about the NHL talent and who they're up against.

Last season, Babcock was busy coaching the Wings during the playoffs. Steve Yzerman was at the World Championships to assess our own talent but also to observe the opposition. Hitchcock coached the last World Championships or the year before? IMO, it's a better approach because you cover more ground. It's tough to do that with one person.
I'm all for having more people involved, but Babcock missed the Worlds and that's a better approach? The better approach would have been for him to coach at the worlds along with Yzerman and Hitchcock.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
  #107
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
I remember when the USSR game was all about 5 in the picture, puck support all over the ice and tape-to-tape passes.

now the Russian game is all about 1v1 skill and big shots on net. You guys have some amazing talent at the top end, but a real system of play would benefits you guys more than anyone else

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:05 AM
  #108
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian View Post
I think it is time to Bykov go. Bykov has too much personal problems with players who would be valuable to national team. Frolov was in Bykovs team last yers WC but after that something happened. Way too many valuable guys were left out because Bykov has problems with them personaly. How many times Bykov has slapped Kovalev. For this kind of tournament you have pull best posiible forces your country has. Bykov should have taken more assistant who knows NHL and that aspect of the game.
absolutely agree 100%, btw, do you know why he has issues with kovalev?

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:17 AM
  #109
SerbianHabs
Registered User
 
SerbianHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Moscow,Russia
Country: Serbia
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
Sack him if we perform poorly at the next World Championships.

His style will suit the big rink in 2014. Bykov did so much good for Russian Hockey brought us back on the map. Yeah the team was poor at the Olympics, he will learn the team he chose would have done well on Olympic Ice, he just believed the 2008 World Championships on small ice was a good enough test for the KHL'ers but he was not prepared for Canada's physicality.

If we medal at the Worlds. Keep him allow him to mature some more maybe bring in some foreign experts to help him out and see other areas of Hockey that the would benefit Russia. We need to help breed new Russian coaches who are of a high level because only a Russian would understand the mentality of a pack of Russian Hockey players.

SerbianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:22 AM
  #110
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladsky View Post
When you don't have depth, you simply choose different tactics, which is the lesson taught by today's Swiss performance against the US. Just insert 2-3 Russian top 6 forwards in the Swiss lineup, and they send Team US home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJudge View Post
That's probably true.
I respectfully disagree, unless we are assuming that Hiller goes buck wild in our hypothetical game like he did in the last one and stops like 41 of 42 shots again.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:54 AM
  #111
Vladsky
Registered User
 
Vladsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partizan90 View Post
Sack him if we perform poorly at the next World Championships.
To me, the decision is dependent on what Hockey Russia wants to achieve in the medium to long term.

If Russian sports authorities are content with winning WCs and Eurohockeytours, they should keep Bykov (well, until he screws up at this level) and leverage his knowledge of KHL play and players.

If, however, they want Russia to come out on top in upcoming best-on best tournaments, such as the 2014 Olympics or WCOH (regardless of rink size), they need to recruit an NHL-savvy coach (or assistant coach) ASAP. I believe that Russia still has time to put together a strong squad for the Sochi event, and 2011 WCOH (if it takes place) could be a good stage rehearsal.

My personal prediction is that Bykov will continue until 2014 Olympic tournament format is decided. If NHL and IOC part ways, then Bykov would almost surely continue until 2014. If, however, NHL decides to send their players to Sochi, we will see increasing pressure on Bykov, forcing him to either go, or cede part of his responsibilities.

Vladsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:47 AM
  #112
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
russia should get tarasova to coach the team, she's always had amazing success with everyone whom she coaches and advices, i'm sure she could figure out a way to translate her coaching skills into hockey, hehe, ya shuchu, i keeeed

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:04 AM
  #113
lazerbullet
Registered User
 
lazerbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Everyone who are protecting Bykov should read this http://www.championat.ru/hockey/article-50960.html

It's in Russian.

Some interesting points. Bryzgalov was asked about the plan against Canada. Answer: Plan? Just to go out and play hockey! That's all.
Nabokov was asked about theoretical home-work. Was there enough of analyzing game and players? He refused to answer! The very first time, when Nabby didn't answer a question during these Olympics.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 08:35 AM
  #114
Vladsky
Registered User
 
Vladsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
Everyone who are protecting Bykov should read this http://www.championat.ru/hockey/article-50960.html

It's in Russian.

Some interesting points. Bryzgalov was asked about the plan against Canada. Answer: Plan? Just to go out and play hockey! That's all.
Nabokov was asked about theoretical home-work. Was there enough of analyzing game and players? He refused to answer! The very first time, when Nabby didn't answer a question during these Olympics.
Excellent read, thanks.

If Bryz and Nabby are telling the truth, Bykov = Krikunov = fail.

Vladsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
  #115
PlayMistyForMe
Registered User
 
PlayMistyForMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
It would an idiocy to replace the most successful coach in new Russian hockey history.
I thought Bykov's performance as a coach was pitiful. Right from the start of the game, when I saw the Richards/Nash line on the ice at the same time as Ovechkin, I was seriously doubting the effectiveness of this coach. If Babcock had the advantage of choosing the line pairings, that's the line he would have put on the ice to counter Ovechkin, so why didn't Bykov just switch his line rotation? I guess he believed that line matchups had no consequence because no one was going to stop the big red machine. Arrogance = epic fail. Ovechkin said: "There is nothing better than beating team Canada, except maybe beating team Canada on their home ice". Would have been OK to say that after the game if they had won, saying it before the game was foolish arrogance.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:10 AM
  #116
lazerbullet
Registered User
 
lazerbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
After reading that article and some extra thinking, I have a feeling that Russia never had a chance. Let's compare how teams were selected:

Canada: Yzerman had all the time in the world to scout everybody. He had a whole DRW scouting staff to help him out + Kenny Holland, Jim Nill, Scotty Bowman, etc. Babcock, Hitchcock, Lemaire are all ELITE coaches. Canada probably new EVERY weakness that Nabby has. Because they had 4 players from the Sharks, and Babs and Todd are great pals. Team was built to beat Russia.

Russia: Bykov obviously knew the KHLers. But it seems that he had no idea about the NHLers. He used them in a wrong way. No good system on the PP. Ovechkin in a shootout is telling a lot! Nobody with minimal NHL-knowledge would let Ovie to try 3 times. No shutdown line. 5-man units is 20-30 years old story. Afinogenov on the PK (Nothing against Max; he was better than most) And why on earth Russians didn't hire some scouts? It's beyond me.

The game was decided long before the face-off. One side knew almost everything about the opponents. And the other side had very abstract knowledge. Bykov wasn't expecting such a strong start from Canada? Well... hello! That's how they started in Quebec. That's how they start every time. Canada always tries to crush opponents in the first 10-15 minutes.

I don't mind if Bykov stays. (Frankly, I can't see who should replace him) But he has to make some fundamental changes in his approach. More people must be involved with Team Russia. They must hire 2-3 word-class scouts for NA. Team must play with some system. Go and outskate an opponent is not a system.

And tactical "approach" during the game is another story.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 09:38 AM
  #117
Metallian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi19 View Post
absolutely agree 100%, btw, do you know why he has issues with kovalev?
I don't know what are the issues but i'm sure theres something. Kovalev has been very extided every year to be part of national team and Bykov slams him every time.

Also i have noticed after every big tournament there guys who some reason gets kicked out of national team.

2007
Brylin and kulemin hasn't played after Mocow WC

2008
Dani Markov retired national team after winning gold. Then he said he would like to return to the team. But has never got call

2009
Frolov,Zherdev Didn't get call to olympics. Zherdev not even in preliminary roster of 50 players

2010
Zubov get kicked because of not playing in european hockey tour. Zubov sayd he had minor injury and it seems Bykov didn't believed it

Olympic
100% sure somebody gonna be kicked and will not be part of WC

Metallian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
  #118
ZBORNAJA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ZBORNAJA
Great read ...People who defend Bykov... I dont mind Russia loosing, i didnt believe in win (mostly because statistically on such level it is crazy to expect Russia to win 4 times in a row against such team as Canada even if Canada would bring B team)..But loosing in such way it is shame...I always thought with Oveckhin and new generation Russian hockey became only collective sport that plays with passion and never say die mentality. There were also result that led me to believe this (although play was very suspicious at many moments)...WC 2008 and 2009...15 minutes when Czech were just toying with Russia and won every battle i was already suspicious about that team..Ok , they werent playing 100% with 3-1 lead, they were saving power ... Always trying to defend them..Nah..

-Coaching..Everything is already said here...Direct problems of this are..
PP...Russian PP is just terrible..
PK...Risky risky risky..Max on PK???...
Intensity..None..For the team that was choosen for their speed almost no skating...

They came long way from dreadful teams in 1990s and begining of 2000 but there is still a long road ...

ZBORNAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 12:55 PM
  #119
OVrocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkins View Post
Well, Rus-Can game did, somewhat resemble the game 7 between Pit and Was, I agree.

Still, I believe that we need an NHL-caliber coach for our national program.
Be done with Bikovs and Co.
I am truly ashamed of my team's performance, but the sad thing is: we could not have done any better with a joke-of-a-coaching staff that we have.
To make the matter worse, Medvedev wants to keep that idiot Bikov.
Seriously, is he on drugs or something?
Oh yeah the coaching was terrible, we did not play with any kind of structure at all. I'm not sure WTF Bykov was thinking. You can't beat a team with Canada's talent without playing with some sort of structure, the dmen couldn't make a breakout pass because our fowards wre just standing near the blueline while Canadians would stack 3-4 players there just waiting for us and we never made any kind of adjustments. To be honest I don't think we played well in the tournament at all, the only reason we scored 8 goals against Latvia was due to insane offensive talent nothing else.

OVrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 01:10 PM
  #120
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
I wrote a very bitter article in Russian, you can read it here:

http://www.russian-hockey.ru/forum/v...t=4779&start=0

But as far as line matching goes, Bykov couldn't really do a heck of a lot. The only real great defensive forward was Datsyuk. So he was played against Crosby. The result was no points for Crosby and +1 for the whole Datsyuk's unit in that catastrophy. But there were no other two-way forwards on the Russian team. The only unit he could play Ovechkin against was the Thornton's line. I would probably do that.

Another thing I would have done, of course, was double shifting Kovalchuk. I said time and time again, the man is useless, unless he plays 25+ min a night. Playing Kovy with Kozlov and Radulov could have worked.

As far as taking Bykov's off... I don't know how good would that be. He is the only good coach in Russia (and possibly Bilyaletdinov). He has learned his lesson in Moscow07 as far as World Championships go. Now this was a much harder lesson. Will he learn it? I don't know. The saddest thing is that this loss was preventable by the rather simple measure of having a scout.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:20 AM
  #121
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBORNAJA View Post
Great read ...People who defend Bykov... I dont mind Russia loosing, i didnt believe in win (mostly because statistically on such level it is crazy to expect Russia to win 4 times in a row against such team as Canada even if Canada would bring B team)..But loosing in such way it is shame...I always thought with Oveckhin and new generation Russian hockey became only collective sport that plays with passion and never say die mentality. There were also result that led me to believe this (although play was very suspicious at many moments)...WC 2008 and 2009...15 minutes when Czech were just toying with Russia and won every battle i was already suspicious about that team..Ok , they werent playing 100% with 3-1 lead, they were saving power ... Always trying to defend them..Nah..

-Coaching..Everything is already said here...Direct problems of this are..
PP...Russian PP is just terrible..
PK...Risky risky risky..Max on PK???...
Intensity..None..For the team that was choosen for their speed almost no skating...

They came long way from dreadful teams in 1990s and begining of 2000 but there is still a long road ...
they could have definitely used kovalev on the PP, he is great on the half boards, power play specialist, and zubov on the point wouldn't hurt either

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:22 AM
  #122
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallian View Post
I don't know what are the issues but i'm sure theres something. Kovalev has been very extided every year to be part of national team and Bykov slams him every time.

Also i have noticed after every big tournament there guys who some reason gets kicked out of national team.

2007
Brylin and kulemin hasn't played after Mocow WC

2008
Dani Markov retired national team after winning gold. Then he said he would like to return to the team. But has never got call

2009
Frolov,Zherdev Didn't get call to olympics. Zherdev not even in preliminary roster of 50 players

2010
Zubov get kicked because of not playing in european hockey tour. Zubov sayd he had minor injury and it seems Bykov didn't believed it

Olympic
100% sure somebody gonna be kicked and will not be part of WC
i wonder if any russian tabloids or newspapers have any dirt on all these roster decisions

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:24 AM
  #123
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
After reading that article and some extra thinking, I have a feeling that Russia never had a chance. Let's compare how teams were selected:

Canada: Yzerman had all the time in the world to scout everybody. He had a whole DRW scouting staff to help him out + Kenny Holland, Jim Nill, Scotty Bowman, etc. Babcock, Hitchcock, Lemaire are all ELITE coaches. Canada probably new EVERY weakness that Nabby has. Because they had 4 players from the Sharks, and Babs and Todd are great pals. Team was built to beat Russia.

Russia: Bykov obviously knew the KHLers. But it seems that he had no idea about the NHLers. He used them in a wrong way. No good system on the PP. Ovechkin in a shootout is telling a lot! Nobody with minimal NHL-knowledge would let Ovie to try 3 times. No shutdown line. 5-man units is 20-30 years old story. Afinogenov on the PK (Nothing against Max; he was better than most) And why on earth Russians didn't hire some scouts? It's beyond me.

The game was decided long before the face-off. One side knew almost everything about the opponents. And the other side had very abstract knowledge. Bykov wasn't expecting such a strong start from Canada? Well... hello! That's how they started in Quebec. That's how they start every time. Canada always tries to crush opponents in the first 10-15 minutes.

I don't mind if Bykov stays. (Frankly, I can't see who should replace him) But he has to make some fundamental changes in his approach. More people must be involved with Team Russia. They must hire 2-3 word-class scouts for NA. Team must play with some system. Go and outskate an opponent is not a system.

And tactical "approach" during the game is another story.
he didn't even let kozlov shoot once in the shootout and he had a great percentage in the nhl, also kovalev is great on shootouts, should have chosen him on the roster

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:07 AM
  #124
Muscle Bob
Registered User
 
Muscle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi19 View Post
they could have definitely used kovalev on the PP, he is great on the half boards, power play specialist, and zubov on the point wouldn't hurt either
Lol, maybe it's the time to let the Kovalev argument go?

Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin-Gonchar-Markov = epic fail.
But bring in Kovalev and it would be epic success?
Are you kidding me?

Muscle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
  #125
dimi19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Bob View Post
Lol, maybe it's the time to let the Kovalev argument go?

Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin-Gonchar-Markov = epic fail.
But bring in Kovalev and it would be epic success?
Are you kidding me?
sometimes one player change is all it takes....(e.g. broduer/luongo)

dimi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.