Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Olympic Team

Old
02-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Olympic Team

Just curious, now when it's all over, all of you who pulled for Weinhandl and Johansson to be on the team... How do you feel they worked out?

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:42 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Weinhandl should recieve Bragdguldet. It's really impressive to manage to play an entire tournament without doing a single thing correct.

I was against both picks you mention right from the start and it's painfully obvious that me and the nay-sayers were right.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:42 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I got lots of crap for being sceptical about Weinhandl. Johansson could've played worse, but did alright.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

What, someone was actually FOR bringing those two to Vancouver?

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 06:30 AM
GuloGulo

So what? The barrel's empty. Outside Samuelsson there was dick all to pick of. The plan was that Sedins and Zetterberg would carry the team offensively. Didn't really happen.

And I can't fathom people pimped this rag tag roster of aging guys, injured guys and players who never were significant on their teams.

Not too long ago this team could field 5 NHL captains. Not so much anymore. The only position where it's better than ever is goaltending. All other positions are weakened. Murray was a pleasant surprise. Alfie playing strongly was another. Other than that it had no immediate superiority over the other top-7. Win some, lose some.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Crazyhorse

Some positives:

-Douglas Murray. He will get another shot in four years, it isn't to late for him. He was our best defenseman by far.

-Nicklas Bäckström. Played great all along, the only forward that showed up for all games. If we can get another talented center like him in a couple of years, our team will have a great shot at winning.

-Loui Eriksson. Didn't stand out, but he showed that he can score at the highest level and produce in the national team. One of few players on the team that actually can skate.

-We still have a future. The Czechs, Finns and especially the Slovaks will go through a generation change, and IMO Sweden will benefit from it the most, since our junior program no longer sucks

Negatives:

-BÅG doesn't have the balls to admit failure. He can't admit mistakes. He doesn't try to change a game: if the game plan fails, it fails - we lost because we played a better team. Rationalization at it's extreme.

-Forsberg, Lidström and Alfredsson: Thanks for all youv'e done for your country. You are all legends and will be revered forever!

-The "sloppy-i-don't-care-to-skate-or-to-shoot-generation" with Weinhandl, Mårtensson, M.Johansson, Davidsson, Warg, C.Berglund, N.Persson, etc, etc shouldn't be counted for anymore. Never more on Tre Kronor, please!

-Goalscoring and leadership: We need other things than good two-way centers. We need goalscorers, preferably those that can crash the net.
We need leadership. All respect to Lidström, he isn't the vocal guy that this team needed. We need a player that can thrive with a C on his chest, handling the pressure, etc.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:09 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Just curious, now when it's all over, all of you who pulled for Weinhandl and Johansson to be on the team... How do you feel they worked out?
Was never a fan of those selections but since we were stuck with them I had high hopes for Weinhandl, but I have never seen a player fail so miserably at this level like he did. To be fair though, it was evident from game one that he didn't fit on the Sedins line, and BÅG should have made adjustments accordingly but didn't so he's more to blame.

There was a situation in the Germany game where Henrik had just turned a German inside out and looked towards the slot where he's used to seeing Burrows coming crashing in, but he found Weinhandl at the top of the circle standing waiting for the pass. You could see the look on his eyes when he saw Weinhandl; "Are you ****ing kidding me!?". Following that situation Weinhandl probably got some strategy lessons, because you'd find him infront of the goalie ever since that. But every time the puck came near him he fell on his ass. Seriously, I never seen one player fall as much in a season as he did these four games.

I said it before the tournament began and I'll say it again; Hörnqvist and Weinhandl should have switched positions. The other two lines found good chemistry, Sedins found chemistry on every single shift they didn't have Weinhandl with them. Hörnqvist would have been the best choice. He isn't afraid to get his nose dirty infront of the net, he can get his shot of instantaneously, and he knows how to get open in high traffic areas. All of those qualities Weinhandl lacks. Weinhandl could have used his speed and maybe made himself useful together with Forsberg and Zetterberg, both of which who would've been able to feed him the puck when he's using that speed. Hörnqvist didn't do a bad job on that line, but he would've been more effective with the Sedins.

Also to continue ranting some more; I felt Canada made a terrible mistake not picking Crosby in 2006, and now Stamkos this year. IMO Sweden made the same mistake when selecting Johansson over Victor Hedman or Erik Karlsson, and Liv over Markström. I'm sure Liv is a good team guy and he knows his place during this tournament, but see and learn is my philosophy and not having any of our future core players on the squad is a mistake.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:52 AM
GuloGulo

Sedins were perfectly capable of ruining their own game without Weinhandl. Supposed goal scorer D Sedin was as useful as a cinder block. Shoulda benched his ass along with Weinhandl and played Henrik with some players who'll finish - instead of passing the puck BACK to the playmaker. FFS

Old
02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Some positives:

-Douglas Murray. He will get another shot in four years, it isn't to late for him. He was our best defenseman by far.

-Nicklas Bäckström. Played great all along, the only forward that showed up for all games. If we can get another talented center like him in a couple of years, our team will have a great shot at winning.

-Loui Eriksson. Didn't stand out, but he showed that he can score at the highest level and produce in the national team. One of few players on the team that actually can skate.

-We still have a future. The Czechs, Finns and especially the Slovaks will go through a generation change, and IMO Sweden will benefit from it the most, since our junior program no longer sucks

Negatives:

-BÅG doesn't have the balls to admit failure. He can't admit mistakes. He doesn't try to change a game: if the game plan fails, it fails - we lost because we played a better team. Rationalization at it's extreme.

-Forsberg, Lidström and Alfredsson: Thanks for all youv'e done for your country. You are all legends and will be revered forever!

-The "sloppy-i-don't-care-to-skate-or-to-shoot-generation" with Weinhandl, Mårtensson, M.Johansson, Davidsson, Warg, C.Berglund, N.Persson, etc, etc shouldn't be counted for anymore. Never more on Tre Kronor, please!

-Goalscoring and leadership: We need other things than good two-way centers. We need goalscorers, preferably those that can crash the net.
We need leadership. All respect to Lidström, he isn't the vocal guy that this team needed. We need a player that can thrive with a C on his chest, handling the pressure, etc.
You bring the lulz, the pressure being to big for Lidström?!

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 04:27 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Zetterberg - Bäckström - Alfredsson

Samuelsson - Steen - Franzen

Axelsson - M Nilson - Sjostrom

This team would have done better job.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
You bring the lulz, the pressure being to big for Lidström?!
Obviously, it was. What was he doing on the Kopecky goal? Not leading, that's for sure.

Old
02-26-2010, 01:30 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Obviously, it was. What was he doing on the Kopecky goal? Not leading, that's for sure.
Haha, well everyone can be on the ice on a goal against. But you stated that Detroit's Captain can't handle the pressure, or thrive with the C. It is so utterly ridiculous a statement, harp on something else - please.

Old
02-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Ribban

I didn't necessarily mean to hang out these guys for one loss sake.

If we look at the Slovakia game, it was a complete team melt down. I don't know what they were told before the game, but two keys I would have stressed would have been: Stay out of the penalty box, and don't turn the puck over.

Obviously, individual mistakes laid ground for Slovakias goals, but I was a bit surprised to see what kinds of mistakes were made.

1-0 Henke loses his stick on the PK, and Tallinder gives him his stick. Franzen fails to hand his stick over to Tallinder, which opens up for a lateral pass and the one timer.

2-0 Krona?!? You have got to be kidding me?!?!?Apparently he forgot all about his responsibilities and decided to make it all about him and add to the hype surrounding his "Kronwalling" reputation.

3-2 All Swedes in the left side of the ice? All positions lost in the PK, and Gabby gets to launch a rocket with a sceened Henka and no Swede in sight. (Öhlund came late to that party)

4-2 Lidas turn over is one thing, but Sweden poor back checking was painful to watch, and the fact that Lidas does not play the player instead of the puck on the rebound is terrible.

Too many men penalties, lazy and sloppy attempts to forecheck , and one dimensional play through out were more reasons to our loss than WeinHandl and Johansson ever were.

My question was just if we feel that BÅGs "controversial picks" (such as Weiner, Mange, Modin, etc) delivered, or if they caused the others to fail on their delivery.

Old
02-26-2010, 08:20 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

BÅG could - partly in hindsight but not really completely as many picks where dubious - gone with a younger team. Remember that Forsberg was 21 years on the stamp he figures on.

Old
02-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Ribban

Is this guy on drugs?

http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/5

The only people who actually produced and did their jobs are the ones he slams?

... and blaming the Sedins for not involving or passing the puck to Weinhandl!?!? I think they wanted nothing more, bro. Tough to involve a guy who plays wing but is nowhere near the goal or even able to stand on his skates.

I guess he got me to post a link on here for him, but after this, I doubt I'll care about any opinions he has to offer. What a clown.

Old
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Is this guy on drugs?

... and blaming the Sedins for not involving or passing the puck to Weinhandl!?!? I think they wanted nothing more, bro. Tough to involve a guy who plays wing but is nowhere near the goal or even able to stand on his skates.

I guess he got me to post a link on here for him, but after this, I doubt I'll care about any opinions he has to offer. What a clown.
He is calling Weinhandl the best goal scorer on the team?!

Players with better hands around the net:

Sedins
ALFREDSSON
ERIKSSON
Modin
FRANZÉN

Heck. Even Bäckström and Hörnqvist are most probably better at scoring goals.

Old
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Is this guy on drugs?

"Mikael Samuelsson och Kristian Huselius. Med facit i hand skulle de ha varit med. De är matchvinnare och kan bryta mönstret."

that blog entry has to be sarcasm. there's no way someone can write something like that and be serious, unless he's a regular poster on the main boards here.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:58 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
"Mikael Samuelsson och Kristian Huselius. Med facit i hand skulle de ha varit med. De är matchvinnare och kan bryta mönstret."

that blog entry has to be sarcasm. there's no way someone can write something like that and be serious, unless he's a regular poster on the main boards here.
A couple of guys here implied that Weinhandl would be an integral part of the team as well, just as silly.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:03 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
A couple of guys here implied that Weinhandl would be an integral part of the team as well, just as silly.
honestly, i thought weinhandl could be a bit better at least. i think he's a great WC player on the big rinks, but he really has no business among NHL players. but he was even worse than expected.

but he was not the major problem. the team reminded me of the red wings. i didn't see the ultimate will to win, not matter what it costs. i guess too many of them just won it all. so the major mistake was maybe to use too many old vets.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Well to be honest, I didn't think the inclusion of Weinhandl was wrong - it had some legit virtues even if it was no way near an "integral" inclusion.

What was wrong was BÅG's tactical decision to keep him on big minutes with Sedins when it was a clear lost cause - very much so in a short tournament.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Haha, well everyone can be on the ice on a goal against. But you stated that Detroit's Captain can't handle the pressure, or thrive with the C. It is so utterly ridiculous a statement, harp on something else - please.
No, i didn't state that he couldn't handle the pressure. Not explicitly Lidström, i apologize for not being clear. He leads by playing great. When he doesn't play great, and make mistakes, he doesn't lead. He didn't produce a single point in the whole tournament, Kronwall neither. I love Lidström as much as anyone, but lets face it, he wasn't good, and Sweden overall didn't have that kind of leadership as we did in Turin.

Old
02-26-2010, 05:35 PM
GuloGulo

Lidstrom was largely irrelevant. But then he's 40 years old.
Two of the Slovak goals came off bad risky passes from Forsberg + following defensive clownery. He did redeem himself somewhat by getting on the board.

A younger team? Maybe if there was anything younger with the experience and maturity needed. Forsberg was 21 on the stamp, but he was playing a Team Canada magnitudes worse than anything Weinhandl, Warg & co face at the IIHF world champs these days. Apples and oranges.

Old
02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
Lidstrom was largely irrelevant. But then he's 40 years old.
Two of the Slovak goals came off bad risky passes from Forsberg + following defensive clownery. He did redeem himself somewhat by getting on the board.

A younger team? Maybe if there was anything younger with the experience and maturity needed. Forsberg was 21 on the stamp, but he was playing a Team Canada magnitudes worse than anything Weinhandl, Warg & co face at the IIHF world champs these days. Apples and oranges.
I agree that it is in hindsight.

But still there was another lane for BÅG to take and he could have chosen that one with replacing the most questionable picks he made - Omark is 23 so why not.

Still, BÅG's worst mistakes was the coaching not the picks. I am just stating this for flame proofing myself.

Old
02-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Nordic*

The team I´d like - including lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Forsberg-Backstrom-Alfredsson

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom (chemistry, played together before)

Modin-Påhlsson-Samuelsson

Steen

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Ohlund-Enstrom

Murray-Grossman

Hjalmarsson

Playing the Sedins 13 minutes in the Quarter final against Slovakia was an embarrassment. They are number two and three in ppg in the entire NHL, and deserved better than that, and also a better linemate than the useless Weinhandl. I had higher hopes for him going in to the Olympics, but he just wasn't the right fit with the Sedins.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Snauen*

I think that this team was missing Sundin alot. His on ice leadership and clutch/will to win, was the difference between now and Turin and of course Forsberg beeing 4 years older.

Also, the Sedins fjomping around whit the puck and their lack of temper and feistyness are going to bring down all the NT-teams they play on in the future, very sad.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote