Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Olympic Team

Old
02-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Tarot Sport*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauen View Post
Also, the Sedins fjomping around whit the puck and their lack of temper and feistyness are going to bring down all the NT-teams they play on in the future, very sad.
Burrows adds those elements to their line in the NHL. I fail to see how a bad temper and extra "feistiness" would make them better hockey players when their main style of play is based around frantic attack.

It really sucked as a Canuck fan seeing these talents completely misused by their supposed homeland.

Does Vancouver get a bad rap or something for the way it let Naslund and Ohlund go? The only reason why I can see the Sedins being treated this way, as well as the exclusion of Samuelsson and Edler from the team.

Last edited by Tarot Sport*: 02-28-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Sport View Post
Burrows adds those elements to their line in the NHL. I fail to see how a bad temper and extra "feistiness" would make them better hockey players when their main style of play is based around frantic attack.

It really sucked as a Canuck fan seeing these talents completely misused by their supposed homeland.

Does Vancouver get a bad rap or something for the way it let Naslund and Ohlund go? The only reason why I can see the Sedins being treated this way, as well as the exclusion of Samuelsson and Edler from the team.
No. Vancouver is no more or less than any other team. The problem is just that our management really don't know that much about what makes these guys click in the NHL, as they don't spend enough time or resources on following their star players, such as the Sedins. The fact that Weinhandle was a disastorous pick to begin with was not up for discussion, ad nasium, throw him on the Sedin line and neutralize them as well (they played in the SEL... doooh).

Same thing defensively... Lidström-Kronwall? Just becasue they wear the same logo, doesn't make them a good match today. Maybe back in the days, but Lidström is not what he used to be, and when we have Kronwall hopping around all over the ice, Lidström and his increasing lack of mobility and physcial presence is exploited. They don't play together on the Red Wings, and there is a reason for that.

I could go on and on, but the problem, as I see it, is a combination of lacking scout reports, and denial about the fact that we are all getting older, and when we do, we cant produce the same heroics that we used to do. Our roles and expectations must change.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Snauen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Sport View Post

To leave Samuelsson and Edler out was a strange thing to do ,yes.

I believe you need to have skill and a temper (an agressive will to win) to become a star hockey player. Hockey is a physical sport where you are allowed to hit others and push yourself to better positions. If you can't get that extra 'agressivness' that is needed in important games and just carry on in your normal tempo you will never become a winner for your team in the playoffs or in the Olympics.

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:25 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
To leave Edler out is not strange at all. In the world champs he showed up the worst performance in some 20 years by a defenseman on tre kronor.

He will get a chance to prove himself in a couple of other world champs before the next olympics.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Snauen*

On a small rink, in hometown Vancouver Edler >>>>>>>>> Magnus Johansson

Snauen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:26 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
On a small rink, in hometown Vancouver Edler >>>>>>>>> Magnus Johansson
Yes but ********ing BÅg didn't care about performance, he just saw the afore mentioned tournament on big ice some years ago. Edler was a way better pick if you would have gone by performance this year, certainly as BÅG went with an extra D-man.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Tarot Sport*

Thanks for the replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
To leave Edler out is not strange at all. In the world champs he showed up the worst performance in some 20 years by a defenseman on tre kronor.
I didn't know that.

Well, if you guys don't get to see him play much, you should be excited for 2014. He's having a mediocre year, and still he just exudes so much talent.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Ribban

Quote:

I believe you need to have skill and a temper (an agressive will to win) to become a star hockey player. Hockey is a physical sport where you are allowed to hit others and push yourself to better positions. If you can't get that extra 'agressivness' that is needed in important games and just carry on in your normal tempo you will never become a winner for your team in the playoffs or in the Olympics.
Given Sweden's idea of puck possession, it's really not strange that Samuelsson wasn't picked. He plays way too "North American" for the Swedish national team. I mean, why do we need a forward who gets his hands dirty and shoots the puck from all angles on the ice for rebounds?!?!?

The fact that Tre Kronor come to play with it's usual style when the external factors are all NHL, and most of the guys on the team play in the NHL is clearly strange.

Old
03-01-2010, 06:43 AM
joe89

Weinhandl probably didn't do any worse that some others. It's the easy player to pick on rather than Zetterberg, Franzén, Hörnqvist not showing up offensively. Hard to do something when you're not getting the puck aswell, Sedins were **** and Weinhandl should've been put with others when things didn't work out. Not trying to the defend him because he looked very lost aswell but sadly so did the rest too short of the Bäckström-line.

Johansson looked like expected, above average on the PP and in offensive zone and worst in the tournament in his own zone. We should've picked another forward instead.

Modin, I defend this pick. He did exactly what was expected, and was excellent on the penaltykill. Middle of the pack as far as rating goes.

If we really wanna call out players, blame Lidström and Kronwall. Both scoreless throughout the tournament, Kronwall jumped up and caused a 2on1 for Slovakia which they scored on and Lidström failed to clear the crease on the gamewinner.

+Murray, Öhlund, Bäckström, Modin
-Sedins, Zetterberg, Hörnqvist, Lidström, Kronwall

Safe to say our biggest players didn't show up.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Weinhandl probably didn't do any worse that some others. It's the easy player to pick on rather than Zetterberg, Franzén, Hörnqvist not showing up offensively. Hard to do something when you're not getting the puck aswell, Sedins were **** and Weinhandl should've been put with others when things didn't work out. Not trying to the defend him because he looked very lost aswell but sadly so did the rest too short of the Bäckström-line.

Johansson looked like expected, above average on the PP and in offensive zone and worst in the tournament in his own zone. We should've picked another forward instead.

Modin, I defend this pick. He did exactly what was expected, and was excellent on the penaltykill. Middle of the pack as far as rating goes.

If we really wanna call out players, blame Lidström and Kronwall. Both scoreless throughout the tournament, Kronwall jumped up and caused a 2on1 for Slovakia which they scored on and Lidström failed to clear the crease on the gamewinner.

+Murray, Öhlund, Bäckström, Modin
-Sedins, Zetterberg, Hörnqvist, Lidström, Kronwall

Safe to say our biggest players didn't show up.
Franzen did what he was picked to do, check and shut down. Want something different from him, give him a new role.

Zetterberg showed up all right, skating twice the man he is, while covering for Peter who clearly couldn't keep up. Hornqvist did exactly what he was picked to do, but it's hard to play a triangle with two and a half players.

Sedins kept active and cycled the puck as they were supposed to do, but they can't have the third guy skating out of position. Hornqvist would have been better with the Sedins, and Weinhandl could have skated around with Z and Foppa.

Lidström is today not better than what you saw. Asking or anticipating something different is like hoping for an avalanche in the Sahara desert.

I agree that Kronwall's lack of discipline was disappointing. But besides that, what did he really foul up to get a - for the whole tournament? Who plays a perfect game?

Old
03-01-2010, 05:27 PM
jfc64

I think BAG felt that Forsberg and Hörnqvist wasn't too good and tried to use Zetterberg to "save" that line. 0-0 was fine, he said. Problem is Zetterberg wasn't too good either. Another plan might have been to use our third line to win the games. But that tactic prevented Alfredsson from joining the twins. The selection of Johansson was because we had too few playing defenders who could score. As it went now, no one scored...

Better team:

Sedin - Sedin - Alfredsson
Forsberg - Bäckström - Eriksson
Franzén - Zetterberg - Samuelsson
Modin - Påhlsson - Hörnqvist
Persson

Lidström - Kronwall
Öhlund - Hedman
Murray - Tallinder
Enström

Lnq

Needless to say, we should have felt like underdogs and played a defensive game...

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post

Persson

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote