HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban, Kristo & Leblanc make THN's top 50 list for Future Watch 2010

Old
02-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
THN made mention that Leblanc tweaked his skating technique, and it has been beneficial so far.

I know he's always been a "hunched over" skater. I wonder if Timmins and co had him work on that this past summer.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 10:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
I'm a Boston College season ticket holder. A common misconception is that Chris Kreider was getting little ice time before the WJC. That simply is not true. From what I've seen though, Kreider has definitely shown more than LeBlanc. When I've seen LeBlanc, he's been more interested in running goalies and mixing it up after the whistle.

It doesn't help that he's on a terrible Harvard team. Not sure Montreal wants him playing in that environment next year. Any chance he goes Canadian juniors?
So what games was Leblanc running goalies, was it during the beanpot? I've seen him against Dartmouth and both games against Minnesota this year, plus I've seen him a couple times in the USHL last year, never saw him do anything like this at all. Not saying he doesn't do this, since he does lead his team in pims, but I have never seen anything like this out of him but I'm glad to hear, we sorely need someone like that on the Habs as our team at times is about as tough as a pillow fight.

Is there any chance he tried to take his skate off and threaten the goalie he would cut him? That's what I want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
hey i disagree with the leblanc ranking i think he should be higher and should be ahead of kristo too

im still higher on Leblanc than kreider
I still am suprised Leblanc didn't make Team Canada, I know it's hard for an 18 year old to make Team Canada (especially for kids in the NCAA) but I really thought he would make it. Oh well, he'll be there next year.

As for Kreider, I wanted him and didn't want Leblanc but we'll see how it works out. Things seem to be going really well for Leblanc for the most part, so I'm sure the Habs are happy so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I'm slightly surprised that Subban isn't higher based on his play this season.

Also pleasantly surprised that Kristo is on the list.

Wonder where they would have ranked Pacioretty if he was eligible? Wasnt he 10th last year?

I don't know how Subban isn't higher as he's been so impressive in Hamilton, likely the best I've seen any Hab prospect in Hamilton (although last year Weber was great and this year has been a strulge for him)

As for Kristo, he should be there, he's one of the top forwards in the WCHA imo. I don't get how he's ranked over Leblanc though. While Kristo is rounding out his game for sure (I think playing the point has been big in helping him learn to use his teammates more) but Leblanc can do it all and his all round game imo is much more ahead of Kristo's. Both are having very good freshman years and I'm glad we have both in our system as I have them as our 2 best forward prospects, but I'd take the all round guy over the speedy shooter.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Habsfan18

Pacioretty must have still been in the NHL when the list was compiled. I wonder where he would have ranked this year?

He was 10th overall last year, and 1st on Montreal's list.

McDonagh is 4th on the Rangers list. Ranked 67th overall.

Last edited by Darz: 02-25-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
It seems there's a chance, according to Leblanc himself...
Link? Its great news if its true

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So what games was Leblanc running goalies, was it during the beanpot? I've seen him against Dartmouth and both games against Minnesota this year, plus I've seen him a couple times in the USHL last year, never saw him do anything like this at all. Not saying he doesn't do this, since he does lead his team in pims, but I have never seen anything like this out of him but I'm glad to hear, we sorely need someone like that on the Habs as our team at times is about as tough as a pillow fight.

As for Kreider, I wanted him and didn't want Leblanc but we'll see how it works out. Things seem to be going really well for Leblanc for the most part, so I'm sure the Habs are happy so far.
Beanpot games and another game earlier in the year against BC. Not saying it's a trend or anything. Might just be some frustration from being on a bad team. That's what I would be concerned with if I were a Habs fan--just the situation he's in at Harvard. Chris Kreider is in a much, much better situation at BC with a proven college coaching legend and better players/winning team. Put Leblanc on BC and I think he'd be higher in those rankings.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
McDonagh is 4th on the Rangers list. Ranked 67th overall.
ouch. Seems he's fallen quite a ways since we drafted him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
They say he could be a fine defensive compliment to Staal on the 2nd pairing some day.

Old
02-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Levitate

Quote:
They say he could be a fine defensive compliment to Staal on the 2nd pairing some day.
As in paired with Staal? Because unless the Rangers magically find two elite defenseman out of nowhere, Staal is going to be playing on the first pairing for a long, long time. He can play against the best in the league, can play an absolute ton of minutes per game, and he's putting up respectable numbers this year for a guy who isn't expected to contribute a lot on offense.

It's hard to say how things will shake out with the Rangers defensive pairings in the future, but if they meant that McDonagh will by the Rangers "2nd pairing Staal", then that's about what I'd expect out of him. A solid 2nd pairing guy who can do a bit of everything. I know some Rangers fans are overhyping McDonagh as a surefire 1st pairing guy or something but I think most are assuming something in the range that I said, and are completely fine with that. The Rangers need a good, steady defenseman like McDonagh will hopefully be.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
As in paired with Staal? Because unless the Rangers magically find two elite defenseman out of nowhere, Staal is going to be playing on the first pairing for a long, long time. He can play against the best in the league, can play an absolute ton of minutes per game, and he's putting up respectable numbers this year for a guy who isn't expected to contribute a lot on offense.

It's hard to say how things will shake out with the Rangers defensive pairings in the future, but if they meant that McDonagh will by the Rangers "2nd pairing Staal", then that's about what I'd expect out of him. A solid 2nd pairing guy who can do a bit of everything. I know some Rangers fans are overhyping McDonagh as a surefire 1st pairing guy or something but I think most are assuming something in the range that I said, and are completely fine with that. The Rangers need a good, steady defenseman like McDonagh will hopefully be.
Well, they did say that he would compliment Staal on the 2nd pairing. They said McDonagh doesn't have the natural talent of a Del Zotto or Sanguinetti (which is correct, IMO).

So maybe they're thinking:

Del Zotto - Sanguinetti
McDonagh - Staal

I may have the sides wrong, but you know what I'm saying.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Garry Valk

What the hell happened to David Fischer?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
That name is no longer allowed to be talked about here at HF.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Levitate

Quote:
So maybe they're thinking:

Del Zotto - Sanguinetti
McDonagh - Staal

I may have the sides wrong, but you know what I'm saying.
Eh, but Del Zotto and Sanguinetti is a pretty dangerous pairing defensively, I don't think any coach would really want to roll those guys out against other teams top lines for 23 minutes per game.

Something like Del Zotto-Staal, McDonagh-Sanguinetti would make a lot more sense (assuming Sanguinetti even sticks around with the Rangers and isn't traded). Call me old fashioned but I think a balanced pairing is better than trying to throw two offensive guys out there.

No worries though, was just giving a perspective on McDonagh

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
sure has, thats why i wasnt the slighest bit upset when we traded him

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
I take McDonagh over Yannick Weber, Mathieu Carle, and David Fischer any day.

Old
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Avim86

Quote:
Weber is going to be very good and very reliable , something like a top 4 D with 40 points offensive upside.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
Weber is going to be very good and very reliable , something like a top 4 D with 40 points offensive upside.
Well, if he reaches his top potential then yes I can see him as an effective offensive defenseman.

But still, McDonagh has a much bigger shot of being an NHL regular than Weber, IMO.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:04 PM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
I wonder what happened to that offensive upside McDonaugh was supposed to have. He seems like he could chip in 8-12 goals, 20-30 assists, but i thought he was supposed to be in a tier slightly above that in terms of offensive production.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Lucius

Quote:
kadri on the cover wtf

did they watch the wjc and how terrible he was...

**** you THN
Oh grow up. He's on arguably the most popular team that among English speaking Canadians. IE the people who buy the magazine at newstands (which is what covers are for).

In other words... He sells issues.

Also, is Kadri truly the only cover? A lot of times THN does regional covers with different people for different areas.

Quote:
I'd take Higgins over Laraque too, but that doesn't mean that was necessarily an option when the trade was being made.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Also, is Kadri truly the only cover? A lot of times THN does regional covers with different people for different areas.
They usually only do this with their yearbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
I wonder what happened to that offensive upside McDonaugh was supposed to have. He seems like he could chip in 8-12 goals, 20-30 assists, but i thought he was supposed to be in a tier slightly above that in terms of offensive production.
I'm pretty sure most (myself included) have always viewed McDonagh as more of a solid all-around defenseman. I don't think he was ever really hyped for his offensive contributions.

Last edited by Darz: 02-25-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old
02-25-2010, 02:23 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
He's been lapped a few times on the depth chart, but doesn't mean he can't turn into something down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
Beanpot games and another game earlier in the year against BC. Not saying it's a trend or anything. Might just be some frustration from being on a bad team. That's what I would be concerned with if I were a Habs fan--just the situation he's in at Harvard. Chris Kreider is in a much, much better situation at BC with a proven college coaching legend and better players/winning team. Put Leblanc on BC and I think he'd be higher in those rankings.
I don't put much into this, Leblanc went into the NCAA as a skilled player, playing for Havard or BC, either way he'd still be the same skilled player. Granted if he were to play under Jerry York, Jack Paker or Red Berenson, he's going to get the benefit of such experienced coaches, and I don't like that he is only going to play so few amount of games, but at the end of the day, he's still a very skilled player.

I know that either BC or BU was one of the schools that Leblanc was looking at, but perhaps he felt that at Havard in a rebuilding program, he'd get more ice time then he would with say the former National Champs. Either way, we'll see what he does at the next level and beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
I think they will regret it in time, McDonagh isn't too far from the NHL and with all the offensive RD's we have, we could really use a solid defensive LD that's strong physically.

I actually liked the trade, but in the long run I think it will hurt a bit, although Pyatt has surprised me with his good play in Hamilton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46Awesome View Post
We'll have to see if that's the case, I loved what I saw from Weber last year but this year he's had his problems at both ends of the ice. He's not the biggest guy, or overly quick or strong or overly moblie either. I hope he does become a 40 pt a year D, I don't see him as having that high of upside but could see him as perhaps a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing that excells on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
Last year McDonagh got away from his physical game and started to add more offense. He was jumping into the play, getting too fancy, so his coach called him out (at the time his team was in a major slump) but he responded by staying back in his end more, taking the body again and playing smart safe hockey. He has natural abilities, so I think he can put points on the board, at the NHL level, but imo he's going to be known for his defensive play, especially on the PK and his physical game as he is very strong and appears to enjoy hitting people.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Can somebody post the entire top 50?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Can somebody post the entire top 50?
I would if I could. But that's against the rules.

Old
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
do it on the other board

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
What rules?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
do it on the other board
lol..I'm not worried out the mods, I'm worried about THN getting involved.

I know it's just a list, and not a full article or anything..but I'm pretty sure they have stuff like that copyrighted.

Also of note:

We're ranked 16th overall in terms of prospects and 21-and under NHLers. We have a rating of B-.

And THN does a chart where they take into consideration our average draft rank since 2006 (23), and our prospects ranking (16). We sit in 4th place with a +7.

Last edited by Darz: 02-25-2010 at 11:53 PM.