HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Halak

Old
02-26-2010, 09:10 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
The market for goalies is probably at an all time LOW. How many teams need one? Maybe 2? Then it's just a matter of those 2 now creating a bidding war.
That's all you need. One or two teams that need goaltending, and if you're putting the best available one on the market, you should get a good return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Let's not forget Huet got a 2nd rounder not so long ago. Even though he's younger, I don't see Huet getting more than a 2nd + mid prospect, or some 2nd line type guy with tremendous upside.
At this time last year, Columbus coupled a 2nd-round pick with Pascal Leclaire, and it got them Antoine Vermette.

Not that there needs to be precedents. Gomez trades, Phaneuf trades, Kessel trades happen no matter how implausible they may seem or how they may have lacked precedents before.

I don't know why teams with mediocre goaltending would condemn themselves to another year of it when solutions are available. St. Louis for example has top six forwards consisting of veteran Andy McDonald, youngsters Oshie, Backes, Berglund and Perron, Brad Boyes, and a 7th top-six forward could be Tkachuk signing for one more year while Eller transitions himself into the lineup. Plus they might be looking at yet another high draft pick in 2010, which could be another forward if they think they have enough youngsters on the blueline in Johnson, Pietrangelo, Rundblad and Cole.

Brent Johnson, Chris Osgood, Curtis Sanford, Patrick Lalime, Hannu Toivonen, Jason Bacashihua, Manny Legace, Chris Mason........Maybe John Davidson will stop trying to get goalies on the cheap and pony up for a good young # 1.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
To MTL:

Halak

Just keep him, he's great, you need him.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:22 AM
TheCH*

Pointless to speculate his value. Habs are not trading their best goalie of today and years to come.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Edwards View Post
To MTL:

Halak

Just keep him, he's great, you need him.

That's awesome!

You're right though.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Sandwiches1123

I think the Olympics have increased Halak's value alot. I think Montreal needs to keep him and maybe let Price go. The problem here is that Gainey gave too much leniency to Price and did not allow Halak to realize his full potential. That will decrease the amount Montreal will have to pay him. On the open market, Halak is a 3.5 to 4.5 million a year guy. Price is about 2 to 3 right now.

Sandwiches1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
To CHI:
Halak

To MTL:
Skille
2nd
Not enough.

We only trade Halak if we can improve at another position. We need to get a young NHL body in return, ideally someone with size and skill....otherwise there really isnt any point in moving him.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwiches1123 View Post
I think the Olympics have increased Halak's value alot. I think Montreal needs to keep him and maybe let Price go. The problem here is that Gainey gave too much leniency to Price and did not allow Halak to realize his full potential. That will decrease the amount Montreal will have to pay him. On the open market, Halak is a 3.5 to 4.5 million a year guy. Price is about 2 to 3 right now.
Why exactly is Halak worth 3.5 - 4.5 million but Price only 2-3? If a team pays Halak more then 2.5-3 Million they will regret it.

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
o0AKxKOVYx270o

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
I know it wouldn't put the Habs over the top but, I would like to see the Habs pick up a guy like Boyes who plays center and wing, is locked down for a few more years, has a reasonable cap hit, as well as he has a bit of size. Top end player in my opinion.

I like the contract at 4mill per, for 2 more seasons after this one.

With Moore, Bergeron, Mara, 3/4's of Laraques contract, Metropolit, possibly D'agostini's contracts all off the books for next season we could be looking good money wise, where we could actually afford to acquire him.

I could possibly see a move around players like:

Boyes
Coliacovo

for

Halak
D'agostini/Mara
Weber
A pick

The pieces from montreal's side could change but I could see the Habs trying to acquire Boyes and Coliacovo from the Blues for Halak based deal.

WHY WOULD STL DO THIS THEY HAVE NO NEED FOR HALAK.... MASON AND CONKLIN.. you have to remeber Conklin is just underneath halak in save%

o0AKxKOVYx270o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:01 PM
BigHabs

dallas

turco
ott

for

montreal

halak
d'agostini
stewart

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
pennerstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I would probably do that but I'd prefer

Halak + 2nd for Beach
I'm a huge fan of Beach, but that is way to much for him

pennerstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 07:59 PM
ccgg

Quote:
dallas

turco
ott

for

montreal

halak
d'agostini
stewart
And Lethonen? I know that you like to be silly but please, stop!

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
That's all you need. One or two teams that need goaltending, and if you're putting the best available one on the market, you should get a good return.

At this time last year, Columbus coupled a 2nd-round pick with Pascal Leclaire, and it got them Antoine Vermette.

Not that there needs to be precedents. Gomez trades, Phaneuf trades, Kessel trades happen no matter how implausible they may seem or how they may have lacked precedents before.

I don't know why teams with mediocre goaltending would condemn themselves to another year of it when solutions are available. St. Louis for example has top six forwards consisting of veteran Andy McDonald, youngsters Oshie, Backes, Berglund and Perron, Brad Boyes, and a 7th top-six forward could be Tkachuk signing for one more year while Eller transitions himself into the lineup. Plus they might be looking at yet another high draft pick in 2010, which could be another forward if they think they have enough youngsters on the blueline in Johnson, Pietrangelo, Rundblad and Cole.

Brent Johnson, Chris Osgood, Curtis Sanford, Patrick Lalime, Hannu Toivonen, Jason Bacashihua, Manny Legace, Chris Mason........Maybe John Davidson will stop trying to get goalies on the cheap and pony up for a good young # 1.
That's the kind of thinking the Habs need from a trade partner. If another GM doesn't see him as a building block, a good young no. 1 goalie, then there should be no point in talking trade, as the Habs should ask for nothing less than a building block in return.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 03:47 AM
southerncross116

The problem, from Chicago's standpoint, is that there is no way they can be in a position to have 3 goalies -so unless a Chicago goalie is going back, it can't happen.

Beach is too much; and I doubt Huet for Halak and a pick works for Mtl - I'd package Huet and Aliu for Halak and something if that is what it took; I don't know Mtl's salary situation; so will leave the rest sort of hanging out there.

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 05:15 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
Assuming that the Blues are not contemplating a Mason/Conklin tandem again for next year, and that talks with the Habs would be initiated because they have not found another solution for their goaltending, one of Backes, Boyes, Berglund, Oshie, Perron, 2010 1st-rounder would have to be on the table.

For the right Price, either Montreal goaltender is available.
Goaltending hasn't been the Blues problem this year, so I highly doubt they're looking to upgrade the position in season. If they did, it certainly wouldn't be at the expense of a current roster player when they're still harboring hopes of making the playoffs.

If they shake things up with an eye to the future in the offseason, which I'm not at all convinced is something that is high on their agenda, it will most likely be at the expense of $ or still developing (i.e. not Eller or Pietrangelo) prospects. The organization is intent on ending it's rebuilding phase and competing now, which means that they'll do everything they can to keep their young competitive core in place.

IMO, I think it's fairly unlikely that the current management will be eager to pin their competitive hopes on (or pay through the nose for) someone they probably view to be a relatively young/inexperienced goaltender. They're more likely to continue with a veteran combo, or to take on a young project type on the cheap with the intention of letting him backup a vet for a few years and then maybe grow into the #1 role.

That's not necessarily my hope for the future, just what I think is most likely to happen (FWIW).

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 06:05 AM
GNick42

Montreal better not trade Halak!! He is a good goalie. Price and him will make a good tandem for years to come as both are young

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 07:46 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Montreal better not trade Halak!! He is a good goalie. Price and him will make a good tandem for years to come as both are young
its not going to happen, halak wants to be number one, there is no way he is going to sign a new contract with the habs if its going to be a win and your in system in montreal. (because your pulled for losing one game even if your on a hotstreak, martin has given halak chances of lately but not all season).one of halak or price is going to go, not necessarily at the deadline but for sure in the offseason. if gauthier, and this is a big "IF", signs halak again it will probably be for 1 year to prove himself more and show his willingness to be a team player (but don't see that happening). It would sort of be the feeling stay here so we can give price time to find his game then your gone, halak probably wants #1 minutes, stability in where he plays and stays. plus alot of players want to contend, but if halak was to be dealt it will probably be to a team on the rise or rebuilding who want a building block in net.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:18 AM
RichardFaulk

i can see the Blackhawks going hard after Halak but its gonna take a overpayment to get him out of Montreal as of right now.

RichardFaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 10:32 AM
GNick42

Quote:
its not going to happen, halak wants to be number one, there is no way he is going to sign a new contract with the habs if its going to be a win and your in system in montreal. (because your pulled for losing one game even if your on a hotstreak, martin has given halak chances of lately but not all season).one of halak or price is going to go, not necessarily at the deadline but for sure in the offseason. if gauthier, and this is a big "IF", signs halak again it will probably be for 1 year to prove himself more and show his willingness to be a team player (but don't see that happening). It would sort of be the feeling stay here so we can give price time to find his game then your gone, halak probably wants #1 minutes, stability in where he plays and stays. plus alot of players want to contend, but if halak was to be dealt it will probably be to a team on the rise or rebuilding who want a building block in net.
Halak is right there with Miller or Hiller. Both of those are 4-5 years older. Halak is just rounding into his career top. Don't want to trade him for undervalue. He is #1 netminder in Montreal right now and immediate future

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Let's put it bluntly :

Would you rather depend on Halak or Lehtonen?

One was being shopped because he wasn't needed too, BTW. His GM went public in saying he'd trade him for any good offer he got.

You mean...Lehtonen for Vishnevskiy and a 4th? And that's for a guy that hadn't played all year, was shopped and has an injury history?
And Halak is being shopped for the same reason. Montreal can't keep both Price and Halak, so one has to go.

I love guys who make threads asking for peoples opinions, then get angry when no one offers up Crosby for their player.

Halaks value earlier was a 2nd. I think its probably moved up to a mid to late first, or a 2nd and a mid tier prospect.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:11 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
lets be real here. He is doing well, but he is still a very late pick who has been hot this year. He is valuable but dont get your hopes up too high.
A late pick has nothing to do with one's value if they have proved they can play in this league over the early picks that didn't make it!

Once your picked it doesn't matter what number you were anymore. It all comes down to development and proving you are NHL material after that, cause everyone has to take the same path, some may have a harder road, but it makes them a better player in the long haul.

Tomas Vokoun was a late pick too, he was 226...he seems to have faired well, as has Tim Thomas at 217 overall....heck CuJo and Belfour weren't even drafted...does that mean they had no trade value or weren't worth a look?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Pepin le bref

Quote:
dallas

turco
ott

for

montreal

halak
d'agostini
stewart

Why bother about the salary cap and the needs of both teams?

Dallas just acquired a goalie (Lethonen) and don't really need Halak at this point.

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross116 View Post
Beach is too much; and I doubt Huet for Halak and a pick works for Mtl - I'd package Huet and Aliu for Halak and something if that is what it took; I don't know Mtl's salary situation; so will leave the rest sort of hanging out there.
It would take alot more than Huet +pick/Alieu thats for sure.

Huet carries negative trade value, he is worth less than nothing...especially to a team like Montreal that is already tight against the cap for next season.

You will have to knock Montreal's socks off if you are going to get one of our goaltenders before the deadline.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 09:44 AM
captainpaxil

the situation in montreal is tough between tight playoff positioning and the cap its going to be ard to get value at the deadline but come the offseason theyll have less control of the situation but are probably set for a better return.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Since he's been on fire for quite a while and has been fantastic in the Olympics, what kind of price would teams pay for him now?

Lehtonen at close to 3M$ in cap hit garnered a top prospect and a mid-round pick.

I dare say Halak has a significantly higher value, so would a top prospect and a 1st (maybe early second if it's a bad team) be what a team would pay (even if it ends up being this offseason)?
i know you will hate to read this... and i already saw you take offense at this answer, but the value of goaltendres has been well established in the NHL history books.

Of course it only takes one lone gm operating as a cowboy to throw common sense out the window, but history has shown us that no one ever trades anything of value for a goalie. If you could get a first rounder for Halak or Price I would think you should jump for joy that your GM pulled off one hell of a deal.

I know if Boston can deal Thomas for a first Id jump for joy we pulled off one hell of a deal.

Teams for years have sat on young goalies hoping to get value for them. Anaheim wanted value for Byrzalogov and ended up waiting him. Buffalo kept Biron for years as they dreamed of getting a top player for him. It just never ever happens.

you can maybe point out 3-4 exceptions in NHL recent history where any goalie was dealt for more value. I can name about 100 cases where they ended up having to be dealt for squat.

It is just reality

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote