HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Malkin really considered part of a "Big 3" Talk?

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2010, 01:08 PM
TomDelonge

vCash: 500
Malkin really considered part of a "Big 3" Talk?

Everyone considers malkin as part of the "big 3" , but after last night, I don't know if I can consider him hands down as apart of the big 3, and maybe it should just be Crosby + OV hands down with Malkin on Getzlaf/Datz level. He was invisible, made terrible plays, and im not just saying oh one game, he hasn't been stellar all season. Still an amazing player, but if you think you can try to debate him as "mal-king" best player in the world then come on. He is still amazing but I would probably compare him to the Jagr of the past, amazing but just below the top two of Crosby and OV/ Mario and Gretz.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Skk82

Malkin just put up more points in that playoffs that were in Gretzky and Lemieux territory. He had a bad game last night.

And he still generated more offense on the scoreboard than Crosby and Ovechkin did.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

if we're only going by last night i guess it's now the 'big 1'. AO was pretty bad last night too.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
BigT2002

Having a bad year all together IMO. I never considered him at that level anyways.Was always at the Getz/Dats/Zets level IMO. Great player when he's on, but hyper stars like Ovy and Crosby have proven they do not falter year in and year out.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Having a bad year all together IMO. I never considered him at that level anyways.Was always at the Getz/Dats/Zets level IMO. Great player when he's on, but hyper stars like Ovy and Crosby have proven they do not falter year in and year out.
AO only falters in big games. Game 7 Penguins. WJC. Last night. No show when it really counts.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Sky04

Crosby and Ovechkin put up 0 points,

how bout we move Getz/Perry up to tier 1 and move Crosby/Ovechkin down.

My god do people quickly forget how good a player is after one bad game. Maybe Brodeur should not be in consideration for hhof because he choked against the US. Malkin isn't even in his prime yet, he just finished with back to back 100 point seasons, and this year, while completely off his game, a struggling Pens PP he's still producing at 90 point pace (Getzlaf and Datsyuk pace) on an OFF year.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
if we're only going by last night i guess it's now the 'big 1'. AO was pretty bad last night too.
More like 'big zero'... Crosby didn't do much.

What happened was that the superstars cancelled each other out and it ended up being Canada vs. the KHL.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Tombernack

He had a bad night. Malkin is still 1 of the top 3.

/end thread

Old
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Hurt

I Love Ryan Getzlaf! :d

Old
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
shibster

Malkin is undoubtedly a great player, he has a great combination of size, playmaking and goalscoring ability. That being said, he greatly benefits from playing on the same team as Crosby, even when they're not on the same line. Crosby's line will draw the top checkers, leaving more room for Malkin.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
TorFC-TML*

So based on last nights game, Crosby, Ovechkni and Malkin are all overhyped; Getzlaf, Perry and Boyle are the new 'big 3'.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Uh Ovechkin 92 points in his second year, Malkin on pace for 90 points this year. Or you like picking at facts?

This guy carried the whole pens team into the playoffs when Crosby was injured. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Getzlaf are all elite players but the have yet to shown that kind of level of dominance. Btw Malkins off year is a 90 point season, dats and Z are on off years and are prodcing at 60-70 point pace, how are they even close to being on the same level?

Old
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibster View Post
Malkin is undoubtedly a great player, he has a great combination of size, playmaking and goalscoring ability. That being said, he greatly benefits from playing on the same team as Crosby, even when they're not on the same line. Crosby's line will draw the top checkers, leaving more room for Malkin.
This Malkin is an Elite #1 center who plays on a second line it's dam easy to rack up points in that position especially with Staal as your center/ wing

Old
02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
The Shovel Penguin
)))))))))))))))

First player to win the regular season and postseason scoring titles since Mario should still be considered top 3. He is having a bad year.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Enzo Gorlomi

I love Geno's game (when he plays with enthusiasm) -- just check the username.

I also am a Crosby hater. I don't make posts about it, but I dislike him and it's something my friends and I constantly joke about while watching games together.

That all said, I felt that Sid was clearly the playoff MVP last year. Malkin benefited from more of the attention being on Sid and he racked up points, because he and Sid were leaned on for every other shift, but he was wildly inconsistent. Yes, he did turn it on at times and when he was hustling and backchecking, well... that's the game that makes Geno one of my favorites. Unfortunately, he has a Zherdev-esque work ethic sometimes (maybe not Zherdev, but questionable).

With that in mind, even though Geno is one of my absolute favorites to watch and Sid is the butt of every hockey joke I make, I have never considered there to BE a "Big 3". Based on TALENT ALONE, yeah, Malkin is right up there with Sid and Ovie (but I think a few select others are as well, such as Kovy), but he doesn't have that IT factor. He isn't a franchise player. He isn't a leader. He doesn't have that competitive drive ingrained in every inch of him the way that both Sid and Ovie do. He shows flashes of it, but he isn't consistent like the true "top" players out there - #s 8 and 87. In my opinion, there will always just be Sid and Ovie. They are special. Malkin is a special talent in his own right, but falls into the tier below.

The way I see it, there is an upper echelon of talented players in the league. This might include names like Ovie, Sid, Malkin, Kovy, Semin, Kane, Backstrom... I don't know, I won't argue over who makes the cut - you can make your own list.

Then, simultaneously, there is an upper echelon of players with will and drive. This is where Sid and Ovie are elite while those other players fall into varying lower levels. Sid and Ovie bring it EVERY night and are visibly unhappy when they're unable to for any reason, be it injury, penalty, etc. Geno elevated his compete level in the past when Sid was injured and maybe he needs to be THE go-to guy in order to stay motivated to play at his finest, but in general, Malkin's compete level is just not the same as Sid and Ovie's.

The measure of an NHL player is where you fall on the talent spectrum combined with where you fall on the drive spectrum. Ovie and Sid are both in the upper 1% of each category. While Malkin might be in that upper 1% of talent, and perhaps everyone else I mentioned is only in the upper 2-3%, none of them are as elite when it comes to compete level and consistency. They are ALL superstars, some more so than others, but they aren't in that exclusive position that Sid and Ovie are.

This is why there really isn't a "Big 3". At the end of the day, and as a big fan of Malkin, I'm not trying to take anything away from him, it will always just be Sid and Ovie.

Last edited by Enzo Gorlomi: 02-25-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old
02-25-2010, 01:35 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
It's stupid to go by last night alone. He might be above the Getzlaf level perhaps, but I don't think you can say "Top 3" by including him with OV/Sid. There's always going to be a debate about "Who's better" and "Who would you rather have" between those two, and frankly he'll never crash that party of being debatably the best.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Uh Ovechkin 92 points in his second year, Malkin on pace for 90 points this year. Or you like picking at facts?

This guy carried the whole pens team into the playoffs when Crosby was injured. Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Getzlaf are all elite players but the have yet to shown that kind of level of dominance. Btw Malkins off year is a 90 point season, dats and Z are on off years and are prodcing at 60-70 point pace, how are they even close to being on the same level?
They are a level below him, but they are in the conversation because of their absurd 2 way play. (see Selke nominations and wins for last couple seasons)

Old
02-25-2010, 01:36 PM
v00d00daddy

So a caps fan talking about Malkin not being all that good. What a surprise.

Malkin looked bad last night...but no worse than Ovechkin.

Ovechkin literally did nothing last night...nothing.

Go start a thread in the Caps section about how great he is. It'll make you feel better.

There was not one redeeming quality about the Russian team last night and this somehow leads you to start a thread about Malkin not being in the "big 3"?

Malkin is a good hockey player.....I SWAY TO GAD!

Old
02-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Ovechkin never had a real dominant season in his 2nd year, only 92 points. Crosby last year was considered below average for him. It happens. Malkin is still having a much better season than Datsyuk (whom you say is his equal) and Getzlaf looked pretty bad at times in this very same tournament. Some people are so short sighted.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
stingo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
He didn't have a good Olympics, and he doesn't look the same this year in NHL action. Maybe he'll turn it around in the playoffs.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibster View Post
LOL.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
This Malkin is an Elite #1 center who plays on a second line it's dam easy to rack up points in that position especially with Staal as your center/ wing
Oh, so Malkin only gets so many points because of Staal, whom he rarely ever plays with. Makes sense. Malkin was just leeching off of Staal's 49 points last year. Easy to put up 113 points when you have a teammate on a different line scoring as many as 49.

How do people explain Malkin's production in 2007-08 when Crosby was injured? His production went through the roof when facing the other teams' "shutdown" guys.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
SingDomestica

So he has a stretch of a few bad games and all of a sudden everything he has accomplished thus far means nothing now?

Old
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Puckhog27

Malkin is still 13th in the league in points. That is pretty good for a bad season. Crosby got injured a few times for long periods and Malkin picked up his game. He is a up in the elite players. As for Crosby/Ovechkin being better then Gertzky/Lemieux I'm not ready to say that. I believe both guys put up more points per game.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchkin71 View Post
I love Geno's game (when he plays with enthusiasm) -- just check the username.

I also am a Crosby hater. I don't make posts about it, but I dislike him and it's something my friends and I constantly joke about while watching games together.

That all said, I felt that Sid was clearly the playoff MVP last year. Malkin benefited from more of the attention being on Sid and he racked up points, because he and Sid were leaned on for every other shift, but he was wildly inconsistent. Yes, he did turn it on at times and when he was hustling and backchecking, well... that's the game that makes Geno one of my favorites. Unfortunately, he has a Zherdev-esque work ethic sometimes (maybe not Zherdev, but questionable).

With that in mind, even though Geno is one of my absolute favorites to watch and Sid is the butt of every hockey joke I make, I have never considered there to BE a "Big 3". Based on TALENT ALONE, yeah, Malkin is right up there with Sid and Ovie (but I think a few select others are as well, such as Kovy), but he doesn't have that IT factor. He isn't a franchise player. He isn't a leader. He doesn't have that competitive drive ingrained in every inch of him the way that both Sid and Ovie do. He shows flashes of it, but he isn't consistent like the true "top" players out there - #s 8 and 87. In my opinion, there will always just be Sid and Ovie. They are special. Malkin is a special talent in his own right, but falls into the tier below.

The way I see it, there is an upper echelon of talented players in the league. This might include names like Ovie, Sid, Malkin, Kovy, Semin, Kane, Backstrom... I don't know, I won't argue over who makes the cut - you can make your own list.

Then, simultaneously, there is an upper echelon of players with will and drive. This is where Sid and Ovie are elite while those other players fall into varying lower levels. Sid and Ovie bring it EVERY night and are visibly unhappy when they're unable to for any reason, be it injury, penalty, etc. Geno elevated his compete level in the past when Sid was injured and maybe he needs to be THE go-to guy in order to stay motivated to play at his finest, but in general, Malkin's compete level is just not the same as Sid and Ovie's.

The measure of an NHL player is where you fall on the talent spectrum combined with where you fall on the drive spectrum. Ovie and Sid are both in the upper 1% of each category. While Malkin might be in that upper 1% of talent, and perhaps everyone else I mentioned is only in the upper 2-3%, none of them are as elite when it comes to compete level and consistency. They are ALL superstars, some more so than others, but they aren't in that exclusive position that Sid and Ovie are.

This is why there really isn't a "Big 3". At the end of the day, and as a big fan of Malkin, I'm not trying to take anything away from him, it will always just be Sid and Ovie.
biggest

Malkin needs to be to go to guy to produce...?

What happened last year when he won the Art Ross and Crosby played a full season. I will not consider Malkin in Getz/Dats/Semin/Backstrom category until one of them can put up 100 points to which Malkin has done twice.

Malkin topped Ovechkin and Crosby in a full and healthy season for all 3, and yet how he is considered below them in incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingDomestica View Post
So he has a stretch of a few bad games and all of a sudden everything he has accomplished thus far means nothing now?
ah, the effects of "what have you done for me lately" is starting to hit.

Closed Thread