HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Cup of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup of Hockey Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada can still win the Olympics, the own the podium dream is still alive!

Old
02-26-2010, 07:10 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
Should always be whoever gets the most Gold.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
US Hockey is only getting stronger. Regression is possible, but not likely. The JS may lose on Sunday, but we'll still have 2 of 3 for the season.
2 of 3 what?

I meant enjoy it becasue it'll last till sunday early afternoon. Just some good old fashioned smack talking.

US hockey is getting better, which makes for better rivalries. All hockey is getting better it seems. I dont think anyone would have picked these final four teams correctly.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
No, that is stupid. America has been significantly better then Canada and I refuse to believe that more golds makes you the winner.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Mr Lahey*

In my opinion it's like fishing.

Fishing: Biggest fish, First fish, Most fish.

Olympics: Most medals, Hockey Medals, Most Golds.

There are 3 standards but most medals will always be the best, unless there is a clear lack of gold...

I'm okay with how Canada is doing now - We're a country of 33 million who decided to spend a bit of money over a 4 year period. Getting the most Golds would make me ecstatic.

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:27 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauro View Post
rofl, this from someone from the US ^^
Rofl. a comment from your country.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Should always be whoever gets the most Gold.
You cant discount medals where medals are given. For example you cant ignore the "bronze" effort ny the wonderful Canadian figure skater last night.

That is why i love the point system that has been mentioned, 3 for gold, 2 for silver, one for bronze. As this thread demonstrates, unless you win gold and overall, since there is no black and white here, the argument will go on forever....

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lahey View Post
In my opinion it's like fishing.

Fishing: Biggest fish, First fish, Most fish.

Olympics: Most medals, Hockey Medals, Most Golds.

There are 3 standards but most medals will always be the best, unless there is a clear lack of gold...

I'm okay with how Canada is doing now - We're a country of 33 million who decided to spend a bit of money over a 4 year period. Getting the most Golds would make me ecstatic.
Hmmm.... I gotta say I love your thinking but there's a flaw.

In a fishing tournament you win with cumulative weight. So technically you could have the biggest fish and still lose.

Like I said though very solid analogy.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:43 AM
NinthSpoke06

1. Who cares? The olympics should be about individual athletes (and some teams of course in the team events), not about countries as a whole.

2. If Canada has say 11 golds to USA's and Germany's say 10 golds, but Canada only has say 25 total medals to USA's say 38 and Germany's 34....would Canada really have "won" the olympics?

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARAnator View Post
1. Who cares? The olympics should be about individual athletes (and some teams of course in the team events), not about countries as a whole.

2. If Canada has say 11 golds to USA's and Germany's say 10 golds, but Canada only has say 25 total medals to USA's say 38 and Germany's 34....would Canada really have "won" the olympics?
My thoughts exactly.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:47 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Mike View Post
No, that is stupid. America has been significantly better then Canada and I refuse to believe that more golds makes you the winner.
US has been racking up the Bronze medals.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
leafmon

Quote:

Of course not . Like around 3/4 of the stuff argued around here since the Olympics started it's childish.
The same people putting this lame arguement forward would be freaking if the tables were turned.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
NewFang

Quote:
According to the IOC ranking system, yes.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
According to the IOC ranking system, yes.
That is funny, because the IOC doesn't even rank medals.

Quote:
The Olympic Charter, Chapter 1, section 6 states that:
“ The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries … ”

—International Olympic Committee[5]

The Charter goes even further in Chapter 5, section 58, expressly prohibiting the IOC from producing an official ranking:
“ The IOC and the OCOG shall not draw up any global ranking per country. A roll of honour bearing the names of medal winners and those awarded diplomas in each event shall be established by the OCOG and the names of the medal winners shall be featured prominently and be on permanent display in the main stadium. ”

—International Olympic Committee

According to Australian IOC member Kevan Gosper, the IOC began to accommodate medals tables in 1992, releasing 'information' based on the 'gold first' standard.[2] The medal tables provided on its website carry this disclaimer:
“ The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not recognise global ranking per country; the medal tables are displayed for information only. Furthermore, the results that we publish are official and are taken from the "Official Report" - a document published for each Olympic Games by the Organising Committee. However, for the first Olympic Games (until Antwerp in 1920), it is difficult to give the exact number of medals awarded to some countries, due to the fact that teams were composed of athletes from different countries. The medal tables by country are based on the number of medals won, with gold medals taking priority over silver and bronze. A team victory counts as one medal. ”

—International Olympic Committee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...ble#Background

As I said before, its a competition between individuals and teams, not countries.

Old
02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Mike999
Colin Greening's BFF

Send a message via MSN to Mike999
you can win the olympics? How do I sign up to win the olympics?

Mike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:08 AM
cenas*

Its about the gold and I think its officially about the gold too.

All those silver medals from 04 and 06 give me gray hair, not joy.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
unplugged

Quote:
That is funny, because the IOC doesn't even rank medals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...ble#Background

As I said before, its a competition between individuals and teams, not countries.
It's a competition between individuals and teams who are wearing the colors of the Country's they represent . This is all about Country vs Country , has never been about an individual and never will or should be imo . Most Gold wins the games , Canada or USA or any other . Silver and Bronze are for runner ups , and a dam fine accomplishment for any Country but that doesn't mean they are the best , thats what Gold signifies imo .

unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
it's been said before - no one wins the Olympics. Medal count is important for national pride and that's it. Our madal count is a bit more important for Canada right now because of the ridiculous Own the Podium promises for the games on our soil - but at the end of the day this is not what the Olympics are about.

The US athletes are having an amazing Olympics games and should be congratulated. I'm also very proud of the Canadian athletes - and surprised to see how successful we've been with the numbers of awesome Gold Medal performance. We've also had so many athletes just finish outside of medaling - many expected to win too. Many times it's only a tenth of a second difference between 1st and 5th. It's awesome to see our home grown athletes from what is really a small country compete and be ranked among the best in the world, and doing so with the pressure of an entire nation on their shoulders.. No matter where we end up in the medal count I consider these games to be a success for Canada and our athletes.

Honestly - the best part of the games for me is to watch how happy each athletes is after winning a medal - and seeing their life long dreams accomplished. In my opinion, there is nothing better than that.

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
Need to apply with a committee from whatever city you are from

Thats how you win them

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
It's a competition between individuals and teams who are wearing the colors of the Country's they represent . This is all about Country vs Country , has never been about an individual and never will or should be imo . Most Gold wins the games , Canada or USA or any other . Silver and Bronze are for runner ups , and a dam fine accomplishment for any Country but that doesn't mean they are the best , thats what Gold signifies imo .
This post can't be serious can it? Its never been about the individuals? It shouldn't be about individuals? Like really? Am I being punk'd?

Old
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
you should see the medal you get when you win the whole Olympics.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/u...rown-medal.gif

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Tanking

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
I think you need to research the Olympics a bit, specifically the Olympic charter. You couldn't be more wrong.

Article 6: The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries.

The Olympic flag is to represent the unity of competing countries. It's about the greatness of athletic competition meant to bring nations to set aside differences and have their athletes compete in the purity of sport.

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/The-IOC/

There's a link at the bottom right for the charter.

Lazlo Hollyfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
You cant discount medals where medals are given. For example you cant ignore the "bronze" effort ny the wonderful Canadian figure skater last night.

That is why i love the point system that has been mentioned, 3 for gold, 2 for silver, one for bronze. As this thread demonstrates, unless you win gold and overall, since there is no black and white here, the argument will go on forever....
Point system works I guess

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Point system works I guess
I heard the IOC was working on a point system the initial outline is as follows

1 gold = 1 gold
2 silvers = 1 gold
3 bronzes = 1 gold

unless it is a team sport then

1 gold = the number of players on the team (medal recipients) represented by X divided by the number of victories in tournament Y + the square root of the total number of points scored in by the winning team during all rounds of play

1 silver = the above formula divided by two

1 bronze = the above formula divided by three

Now in the case of sports decided by judges points i.e. figure skating the formula would be as follows

1 gold = the combined number of awarded points multiplied by the number of participants in the event divided by the square root of the attendance totals for the preliminary rounds

1 silver = the combined number of awarded points multiplied by the population of the represented country divided by the miles traveled from the athletes home town to the location of the games

1 bronze= would not be counted in this scenario and would be forfeited to a country who had not participated in a Olympic games for a period of ten years and who's per capita income did not exceed the hosts countries by more than ten percent.

So as you can see in the future the ever important question of who one the Olympic games will be as clear as a bell

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Brodie
voted best

What we need is to replace all the countries in the Olympics with corporate sponsors. Then ******** ideas like Own the Podium, be they from Canada, China, Australia, Germany, the US or Russia, would go away.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Tanking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
What we need is to replace all the countries in the Olympics with corporate sponsors. Then ******** ideas like Own the Podium, be they from Canada, China, Australia, Germany, the US or Russia, would go away.
Or more teams should get sponsorship from tv shows, like Colbert Nation did for the US speedskating squad.

Lazlo Hollyfeld is offline   Reply With Quote