HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

SEMI-FINALS - USA vs FINLAND - 12:00 PM PST

Old
02-26-2010, 03:41 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
Television rights hasn't been decided for 2014?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, PLEASE STRIKE NBC AWAY FROM THOU OLYMPICS AND MAKE THINGS RIGHT WITH THE UNIVERSE!
Put on BOH mod hat.....

OK, there are a number of things that have come out the the NHL doesn't like about Olympic participation. Including:

• Prohibited from putting Olympic highlights on nhl.com site
  • No say in format of tourney (i.e., # of teams, round robin, QF, etc.), length of tourney (# of days in event, correlating to length of required break in league schedule)
  • No say in scheduling of games (i.e., venue selection, start time scheduling, etc.)
  • No say in broadcasting of games (i.e., non exclusive channel sharing, overlapping games in different venues so you miss some, not on normal "NHL" national channels like Versus, NHL Network)
  • No financial stake in hockey games (i.e., benefit to league, owners, except % of any sales of licensed merchandise)
  • No league or union representation/input for players (sounds like they can't intervene or "recommend" on anything)
  • Potential injury to star players participating in games (which goes back to issues NHL/NHLPA had with IIHF and national federations -- e.g., USA Hockey, Hockey Canada -- had with summer camps as there was insufficient/lack of insurance)
And that's just a partial list.

For more detail: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=598985

Remove BOH hat, put teal hat back on.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Put on BOH mod hat.....

OK, there are a number of things that have come out the the NHL doesn't like about Olympic participation. Including:

• No say in format of tourney (i.e., # of teams, round robin, QF, etc.), length of tourney (# of days in event, correlating to length of required break in league schedule)
  • No say in scheduling of games (i.e., venue selection, start time scheduling, etc.)
  • No say in broadcasting of games (i.e., non exclusive channel sharing, overlapping games in different venues so you miss some, not on normal "NHL" national channels like Versus, NHL Network)
  • No financial stake in hockey games (i.e., benefit to league, owners, except % of any sales of licensed merchandise)
  • No league or union representation/input for players (sounds like they can't intervene or "recommend" on anything)
  • Potential injury to star players participating in games (which goes back to issues NHL/NHLPA had with IIHF and national federations -- e.g., USA Hockey, Hockey Canada -- had with summer camps as there was insufficient/lack of insurance)

oh no, don't get me wrong. Its not JUST hockey thats pissed me off, and its not JUST this year. I think NBC's handling of the olympics has been piss-poor and half-hearted at best since they first got it. I've been wanting them dropped since day one.

In short, I pretty much only watch NBC when the olympics are around, and thats about it.

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Spacemania

Tim Thomas in net, Miller is off to get a break.

Shocked RW would do this kind of a move honestly

Old
02-26-2010, 03:55 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Tim Thomas getting chance to show his stuff in net. Resting/protecting Miller.

Old
02-26-2010, 03:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
oh no, don't get me wrong. Its not JUST hockey thats pissed me off, and its not JUST this year. I think NBC's handling of the olympics has been piss-poor and half-hearted at best since they first got it. I've been wanting them dropped since day one.

In short, I pretty much only watch NBC when the olympics are around, and thats about it.

I turned on main NBC channel last night when I had a few minutes, hoping to see some skating. Instead, I got shots of the ladies waiting to get on the ice and muted for 15 minutes. I like to concentrate on the "action" not the "story".

Old
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
one2gamble

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Spacemania

Quote:
I turned on main NBC channel last night when I had a few minutes, hoping to see some skating. Instead, I got shots of the ladies waiting to get on the ice and muted for 15 minutes. I like to concentrate on the "action" not the "story".
yeah, give the story when there on the poduim. Don't build us up only to watch them get crushed later on.

Old
02-26-2010, 04:02 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Put on BOH mod hat.....

And their arguments are legitimate, that said most of those should be able to be overcame if each side is willing to negotiate.

Old
02-26-2010, 04:04 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Unlikely to happen. The Peacock has had the last 7 Olympics and 10 of the last 13. They significantly outbid FOX/ABC in the last bidding in 2003.

I would be VERY surprised if NBC does not get the next olympic package for London/Sochi/Rio/plus.

BoH hat on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
She, not he, actually.

NBC only has another year, if that left on current contract.

And no TV contracts for 2014 Olympics have been negotiated.
But it is VERY likely that NBC will continue their run. The Peacock has shown the last 7 olympics and 10 of the last 13. They significantly outbid Fox and ABC/Disney for the last package in 2003.

Like it or not - NBC is inextricably linked to the Olympic brand. It basically is NBC Sports signature property. Sans Olympics, they are left with Sunday Night NFL, Notre Dame, the NHL, Golf, Tennis, and Horse Racing.

Given the money losing proposition of the Olympics (and the fact that they will not be held in NA for the foreseeable future) I can't see Fox or ABC/ESPN making a big play - or being willing/able to out bid NBC.

The only wild card here is what the new Comcast overlords want. Do they want to pull back or use the Olympics to leverage penetration and increase subscriber fees on MSNBC/CNBC/USA/VS etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
They most certainly did not significantly outbid Fox. NBC's bid was heavily inflated because it included a billion dollar global partnership with GE, something they can no longer offer. With that removed, their bid was less than Fox's.
Nope. GE's global sponsorship deal was worth ~$160-200M and was in addition to NBC's $2.0B broadcast rights bid. Fox bid only $1.3B.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/07/sp...llion-bid.html

Quote:
OLYMPICS; NBC's Olympic Run Is Extended to 2012 With $2 Billion Bid
By RICHARD SANDOMIR
Published: June 7, 2003

LAUSANNE, Switzerland, June 6— NBC Sports held on to its Olympic franchise today by winning a three-way auction for the United States media rights to the 2010 and 2012 Olympic Games with a record bid of $2 billion. It was augmented by a nearly $200 million deal for General Electric, NBC's parent, to become a worldwide Olympic sponsor. The bid was made even though the sites for those Games have not yet been determined.

The price for TV rights exceeds by 33 percent the $1.5 billion that NBC will pay for the 2006 and 2008 Olympics. Including the G.E. Olympic sponsorship deal, the bid at its maximum means that the Olympic committee will receive 47 percent more for the Games in 2010 and 2012 than in 2006 and 2008.

The deal adds to a stunning Olympic run for NBC: when the 2012 Summer Games are broadcast, NBC will have carried seven consecutive Olympics and 10 of 13. The former Olympic TV leader, ABC Sports, never showed more than four in a row.

Even as NBC has shed its rights to the National Football League, Major League Baseball and the National Basketball Association, embraced low-cost sports like Arena Football, and pushed to eliminate money-losing sports properties, it has accelerated its Olympic commitment.

In the deal, NBC will pay $820 million for the 2010 Winter Games and $1.18 billion for the 2012 Summer Olympics. G.E. sweetened its investment by becoming a worldwide Olympic sponsor, which will cost $160 million to $200 million.

Fox bid an estimated $1.3 billion, while the offer from ABC and ESPN was not immediately known.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Spacemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
And their arguments are legitimate, that said most of those should be able to be overcame if each side is willing to negotiate.
I honestly won't cry if the NHL can't come to an agreement. Its a dissipointment yeah, but as long as someone better does the olympics, I'll be happy.

Old
02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
It may be that the NHL will use some of its clout to get "better" viewing for their fans (in exchange to promise to participate).

Old
02-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Spacemania

Quote:
It may be that the NHL will use some of its clout to get "better" viewing for their fans (in exchange to promise to participate).
yeah, let NHL control the distribution of the live games.

I can't belive I just said that, now I feel so dirty

Old
02-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Spacemania

Well team USA is set for a medal.

All thats left to be seen is which color it will be

Old
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
one2gamble

Yay, NBC will show the Gold Medal Game LIVE on sunday

Old
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Spacemania

Quote:

can you tell I'm happy?

Old
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Thank ****ing God... I was SO pissed about that ****...

TrappedInFullerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:

can you tell I'm happy?
you had me at this one

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
There will still be a delay but at least it's in seconds and not hours. ha ha.

HOOCH2173 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Thresher

So I noticed on the main NHL forum someone created a thread stating the Sharks need a new goalie because Nabokov apparently proved once again he chokes in big games - and therefore, the Sharks will never get far in the playoffs. Now, how come no one created a thread for Kipper?

Anywho, congrats USA! I would never have thought this new gen of American hockey players would be playing for gold. It goes to show how important it is to work as a team and give the ol' 110% cliché. It also helps to have stellar goaltending. Huzzah!

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:22 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikòn

back from the pub after watching the game with my 3 American buddies here in Toronto! Oddly enough, in 2 hours we're going back to the pub to watch Canada and Slovakia....oh the copious amounts of beer we have and will drink today!

All I have to say is: America **** yeah!!!!!!

USF Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
one2gamble

Lets go USA

Last edited by one2gamble: 03-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old
02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
yeah, let NHL control the distribution of the live games.

I can't belive I just said that, now I feel so dirty
The only groups worse than the NHL tend to be some form of international organization, it seems. Not surprising, I guess.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Boo-Yaaawwww!!

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Kitten Mittons

NBC is learning from its mistakes. Good.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Thresher

More photos

I'd be really annoyed if I paid good money and had to sit behind these guys

lol

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote